Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eephus

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

I just won an epic game of Trivial Pursuit with my mom. She was up 3-0 and 5-2. Got stuck on the green triangle (sports) and left the door open. She got some major softball questions. What is the geometric shape in the Canadian Tire logo - I know not common knowledge for Americans but it's like asking what the geometric shape in the Target logo is. 

I was down to just pink (arts and entertainment) but that's usually a lot of tv/music and I can handle that. "What TV series lost Canadian Jill Hennessy as Assistant District Attorney Clair Kinkaid in 1996?". Now I have no idea who Jill or Clair is but I know what 90s series' about attorneys warrant Trivial Pursuit questions... Law and Order, for the win. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

Juliette Lewis' band wasn't bad

Can confirm, I saw her open for Chris Cornell. 

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I always found Clapton overrated.  The only record of his that I really love is Derek and the Dominoes.

Way overrated.  I would have liked to take Derek and the Dominoes, but the dice didn't roll that way.  :) 

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I just won an epic game of Trivial Pursuit with my mom. She was up 3-0 and 5-2. Got stuck on the green triangle (sports) and left the door open. She got some major softball questions. What is the geometric shape in the Canadian Tire logo - I know not common knowledge for Americans but it's like asking what the geometric shape in the Target logo is. 

I was down to just pink (arts and entertainment) but that's usually a lot of tv/music and I can handle that. "What TV series lost Canadian Jill Hennessy as Assistant District Attorney Clair Kinkaid in 1996?". Now I have no idea who Jill or Clair is but I know what 90s series' about attorneys warrant Trivial Pursuit questions... Law and Order, for the win. 

I would have guessed LA Law.  I suppose that was earlier.  I just looked her up; she's quite fetching.

• Like 1

Do you need anybody?
MWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Could it be anybody?
I said WHOOOOOOOOOO-O-OAH
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OAH

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My mom also got (for a wedge) "does the fabled ice worm of story and song actually exist"?  Come on, yes/no for a wedge? Get out of here...

Yes it does. 

In the spirit of this draft and my jukebox in particular, I'll admit I got one embarassingly wrong. It was what Shania Twain album broke the record for most country album sales etc...

I said Come on Over but apparently it was The Woman in Me

2 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

In the spirit of this draft and my jukebox in particular, I'll admit I got one embarassingly wrong. It was what Shania Twain album broke the record for most country album sales etc...

Country album sales in Canada, or anywhere? 

Mutt Lange for that incessant sound I heard everywhere in the mid-to-late 90s. And Loverboy was pretty Canadian, all things considered. A polite hard rock band. 

Tomorrow draws his breath in
And then he heaves a sigh
Because tonight is sailing
Against a choppy tide

She's fetching
She may not know it now
But if she finds out

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

A polite hard rock band. 

They even had to ask to be turned loose. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:
8 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Country album sales in Canada, or anywhere? 

I think anywhere, but we're playing Genus IV, which came out in 1996, which may have been a factor. We both know what we're playing though, I just biffed it.

6 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

A polite hard rock band. 

They even had to ask to be turned loose. 

They've been on my sheet for a month.

I was born to dream
The craziest boy you ever seen
I gotta do it my way
Or no way at all

And I was here to please
I'm even on knees
Makin' love to whoever I please

36.18 - Turn Me Loose - Loverboy (1981)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Oh dear word. I saw Shania, thought of her collaborator/producer/husband and went straight past spotlighting to Loverboy.

Touch that dial turn me on
Start me like a motor make me run

Lovin' Every Minute Of It
Ber ner ner ner
Lovin' Every Minute Of It
whoaooohoh whoa whoa

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Oh dear word. I saw Shania, thought of her collaborator/producer/husband and went straight past spotlighting to Loverboy.

They're all I had down for 81. I was hoping if I held out, something else would magically appear.

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

They're all I had down for 81. I was hoping if I held out, something else would magically appear.

I got my headband on and I'm ready to rock

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

I think I can guess your '82 pick. I just googled "Canadian bands, 1980s" and was immediately slammed in the face with a pick. 

• Like 1

I think I can guess your '82 pick. I just googled "Canadian bands, 1980s" and was immediately slammed in the face with a pick. 

puck?

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:
6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I went Payolas, Eyes of a Stranger, because all the other Police cover bands were taken.

• Like 2

He never thought that he would leave so soon
Passed out in May
But then woke up June hanging over July
Security! Security! Beware:
The cost of living is a one way fare
I'm pulling the alarm

Is round 37 open? I'm spotlighting my own pick

• Love 1

Passed out in May
I'm pulling the alarm

Yes, 37 was the post-4 PM round today.

• Like 1

I went 36 and 37 today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Passed out in May
I'm pulling the alarm

Ugly or pretty, it's still my city
Make up your mind and get in or get out

37.nv - Get In or Get Out - Hot Hot Heat (2002)

Steve Bays' voice is an acquired taste but this was the best Canadian band in the dance/punk movement of the 00s. The album this is from Make up the Breakdown and the follow up, Elevator are front to back classics.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I knew that one. 

• Like 1

Can you deny that what you found
Is just a suspect and you're trying to play it down
Need some changes in the plans you make
You've got new arrangements for the sounds you make
New attractions from the satisfactions
Too much thinking about your government
Alright, all wrong, alright
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground

• Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

36.18 - Turn Me Loose - Loverboy (1981)

I like several of their songs. Their music reminds me of high school.

5 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Can you deny that what you found
Is just a suspect and you're trying to play it down
Need some changes in the plans you make
You've got new arrangements for the sounds you make
New attractions from the satisfactions
Too much thinking about your government
Alright, all wrong, alright
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground
Dance to the underground

I have Gotham! on vinyl, actually. Radio 4 was certainly fleeting. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

37.nv - Get In or Get Out - Hot Hot Heat (2002)

I passed up another Canadian classic by taking this one...

Chill out, what ya yellin' for?
Lay back, it's all been done before
And if, you could only let it be, you will see...

I like you the way you are
When we're driving in your car
And you're talking to me one on one, but you become...

Somebody else
'Round everyone else
You're watching your back
Like you can't relax
You try to be cool
You look like a fool to me
Tell me...

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I have Gotham! on vinyl, actually. Radio 4 was certainly fleeting. 

Wikkid will be thrilled to know that I saw them open for Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Wikkid will be thrilled to know that I saw them open for Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. 

:wub: 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in that thread because of wik's criticism, but I was once a pretty solid Ted Leo fan during the Hearts of Oak and The Tyranny of Distance era. Then he sort of became to me what wik described. But those are quality albums if one is in the mood. And Leo is pretty revered in indie circles, sometimes rightly so. Must have been an interesting show. Ground zero for a hipster bomb. 

Edited by rockaction

43 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I passed up another Canadian classic by taking this one...

Chill out, what ya yellin' for?
Lay back, it's all been done before
And if, you could only let it be, you will see...

I googled that. :bag:

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I would have guessed LA Law.  I suppose that was earlier.  I just looked her up; she's quite fetching.

I remember that character and actor. We used to watch Law and Order all the time in '97-'98-'99. Always a thorny constitutional issue or some such Wattersonian issue.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier in that thread because of wik's criticism, but I was once a pretty solid Ted Leo fan during the Hearts of Oak and The Tyranny of Distance era. Then he sort of became to me what wik described. But those are quality albums if one is in the mood. And Leo is pretty revered in indie circles, sometimes rightly so. Must have been an interesting show. That must have been ground zero for a hipster bomb. 

It was -- made even more interesting by my high school buddy's band being the other opening act. Their frontman didn't show up until 15 minutes before showtime and Ted was PISSED. 

I think Shake the Sheets is just as good as HoO and TToD, as is about half of The Brutalist Bricks. Living with the Living is where he becomes a parody of himself in spots, and the album could have easily lost 5-6 songs from it. 

I've seen him 6 times. The Radio 4/high school buddy show was in Albany (on the Shake the Sheets tour) and the others were in Philly. All were with the Pharmacists except the most recent one, which was a solo set opening for Bob Mould. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I remember that character and actor. We used to watch Law and Order all the time in '97-'98-'99. Always a thorny constitutional issue or some such Wattersonian issue.

Who can forget that episode where Watterston got gay marriage overturned in New York State (or maybe it was just New Paltz) so he could prevent a defendant's partner from using spousal privilege to avoid testifying. 

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

It was -- made even more interesting by my high school buddy's band being the other opening act. Their frontman didn't show up until 15 minutes before showtime and Ted was PISSED.

That's when you look at Ted and tell him "hey, we're all pros, like, what the ####?" Love to see how that would go over. What was your buddy's band like?

1 minute ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Who can forget that episode where Watterston got gay marriage overturned in New York State (or maybe it was just New Paltz) so he could prevent a defendant's partner from using spousal privilege to avoid testifying. 

If possession is 9/10ths of the law, then damn it, procedure and evidence are the other 9/10ths. 

That's when you look at Ted and tell him "hey, we're all pros, like, what the ####?" Love to see how that would go over. What was your buddy's band like?

They were called The Sixfifteens and played melodic punk type stuff. My buddy (the drummer) and the frontman had previously played in a band called Dryer, a leaner and more successful version of the same idea, and re-formed Dryer when The Sixfifteens broke up. Dryer still exists today, though they are much less active than back in the day.

A Sixfifteens song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpke-VkDa8

A Dryer song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEinCqjl5gM

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Oh. Twee backing vocals. Reminds me of the British Columbian Mint Records. 

eta* That breakdown at two minutes? Do they realize they're cribbing "Livin' After Midnight" by Judas Priest? 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Oh. Twee backing vocals. Reminds me of the British Columbian Mint Records. 

Not familiar. 

One of the biggest differences between Dryer and Sixfifteens is that Dryer has a co-frontwoman. 

Just now, Pip's Invitation said:

Not familiar. 

One of the biggest differences between Dryer and Sixfifteens is that Dryer has a co-frontwoman. 

Yep. She was apparent and had a twee sound to her vocals. That's why I said that. Mint Records is obscure. They merged for a while with Lookout! Records in the late nineties/early aughts to put out Canadian pop-punk releases in America. Was an interesting arrangement. I'd list examples, but I'd have to [redact] those ####ers. 

That's very cool, though. All of it. I think the Sixfifteens had a little more yowl in 'em.

• Like 1

Yep. She was apparent and had a twee sound to her vocals. That's why I said that. Mint Records is obscure. They merged for a while with Lookout! Records in the late nineties/early aughts to put out Canadian pop-punk releases in America. Was an interesting arrangement. I'd list examples, but I'd have to [redact] those ####ers. 

Got it. After their first album came out in 1996, Dryer was offered a deal by a major label that was looking for the next Veruca Salt. The condition was that the co-frontwoman do all the singing. The band said no.

That's very cool, though. All of it. I think the Sixfifteens had a little more yowl in 'em.

Yeah. Frontman was going through some weird s**t at the time that made his singing/writing more angry and emphatic. I have some interesting stories.

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

We’re anti-yowl around here, buster.

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

"Nobody in here but us pro-yowlers." 

• Like 1

Alright! Early to rise even for the East Coast. Let's start off today with a track from the esteemed producer James Dewitt Yancey, better known around the hip hop world as J Dilla. Dilla was a producer savant that was one-third of the group Slum Village and also produced tracks for the Pharcyde, The Roots, and other luminaries.  Unfortunately, he had his life cut short by a rare blood disorder. He's considered widely as one of the most influential hip hop producers ever, and he cut this while in treatment for that which eventually felled him, released on the now-classic turntablist and beat-making tract called Donuts.

Round 38.xx

Artist: J Dilla

Song: Last Donut Of The Nite

Year: 2006

• Like 4