What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (2 Viewers)

37.ee - Streets of Philadelphia - Betty Lavette (2008)

Springsteen's Oscar-winning original is a great song but is dated by its trip hop beats.  Lavette's cover strips back the arrangement to a Gospel piano and upright bass.  Her soulful vocal brings out the pain and loss in the lyrics.

The song is from the 2008 compilation Song of America where various artists took their shots at 50 songs related to American history.  The record was the brainchild of former Attorney General Janet Reno who got an Executive Producer credit on it.
That was spectacular - so much better than the original. **Added**  :thumbup:

If you're gonna remake Led Zeppelin then you better nail it.

Round 38 Alabama Shakes - How Many More Times (2012)

The sound's cleaner, but that's more a product of technology. What differentiates this rendition is Brittany Howard. Robert Plant's bar is quite high, but she cleared it - and then some.
I caught one of their originals on the radio yesterday and it reminded me of what a powerhouse talent she is. 

The original is fantastic, but this rendition is a garage rock gem.

Round 37 The White Stripes - Jolene (2004)

If you're gonna remake Led Zeppelin then you better nail it.

Round 38 Alabama Shakes - How Many More Times (2012)

The sound's cleaner, but that's more a product of technology. What differentiates this rendition is Brittany Howard. Robert Plant's bar is quite high, but she cleared it - and then some.
I hadn’t heard either of these before.  Please put both Dolly Parton and Brittany Howard on my short “female vocalists I like” list.  I need to listen to more Alabama Shakes, which I remember every time someone posts them.

krista4 said:
I hadn’t heard either of these before.  Please put both Dolly Parton and Brittany Howard on my short “female vocalists I like” list.  I need to listen to more Alabama Shakes, which I remember every time someone posts them.
It took me decades to "get" Dolly Parton. I always kinda thought of her as a joke - "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap" and all that (or, um...those). Turns out she was fighting a guerilla war against the system she was working in, even if she didn't always know it. Legend has it she wrote "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You" the same friggin day. She's a brilliant songwriter, businesswoman, and singer. She beat all of those #######s who tried to use her.

Brittany Howard is a force of nature. She did a cover of a Funkadelic song earlier this year that annihilates the original, a heavy admission coming from me.

It took me decades to "get" Dolly Parton. I always kinda thought of her as a joke - "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap" and all that (or, um...those). Turns out she was fighting a guerilla war against the system she was working in, even if she didn't always know it. Legend has it she wrote "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You" the same friggin day. She's a brilliant songwriter, businesswoman, and singer. She beat all of those #######s who tried to use her.

Brittany Howard is a force of nature. She did a cover of a Funkadelic song earlier this year that annihilates the original, a heavy admission coming from me.
I had the exact same evolution on Dolly.

Behind that sweet Tennessee accent and her barbie doll appearance is a very intelligent woman, and a very savvy businessperson. She even refused to let Elvis cover I Will Always Love You, because Elvis and his manager insisted she also sign over half the publishing rights to the song. He also wanted to cover her A Coat of Many Colors, but again they wanted half the publishing rights, and again she said no.  She is one of my favorite entertainers.

What Funkadelic song?

Going for a song from one of my favorite albums - bummed I got sniped on this in the desert island draft. Yo Mama selects:

38.ym - Pearl Jam - Glorified G (1993)

not released as a single

An anti-gun song that pokes fun at gun culture. 

Some lyrics:

Got a gun
Fact I got two
That's okay man 'cause I love God
Glorified version of a pellet gun
Feels so manly
When armed

pellet gun
(Glorified version of a) pellet gun

Don't think
Dumb is strength
Never shot at a living thing
Feels so manly
When armed

MAC_32 said:
Link had no audio for me. This one worked though. Hadn't heard it before - definitely Ramones, but not enough punk to the sound overlaying the vocals; no edge. The mid 80's strikes again.
Yeah, not my favorite Ramones song, but really liked the story of it for the context of this draft. 

Going for a song from one of my favorite albums - bummed I got sniped on this in the desert island draft. Yo Mama selects:

38.ym - Pearl Jam - Glorified G (1993)

not released as a single

An anti-gun song that pokes fun at gun culture. 

Some lyrics:

Got a gun
Fact I got two
That's okay man 'cause I love God
Feels so manly
When armed

pellet gun

Don't think
Dumb is strength
Never shot at a living thing
Feels so manly
When armed
Not just poking fun at gun culture. But at the band's own drummer :lmao:

35.03: No Rain - Blind Melon (1993)

Love this song ...aaaannnnnddddd ...here comes Doc. 

This is group is commonly referred to as a  one-hit wonder.  They released three other singles - one that charted as high as ten on the mainstream rock billboard ...but don't see it on the Billboard Hot 100.  

Too hung over to debate.  Here is a summation of a discussion about whether they are a one-hit wonder from some rando website.  

Jac says:

May 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Blind Melon are NOT ONE HIT WONDERS

Michael Waterman says:

May 7, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thanks for your comment Jac. By the standards of Top One-Hit Wonders, Blind Melon IS a one-hit wonder. That’s because they charted only a single song, “No Rain,” in the Billboard Top 40 in the United States. I use the Billboard Hot 100 exclusively for chart listings. However, if you expand past the Billboard Top 40, you are correct that Blind Melon is NOT a one-hit wonder. They charted on the Mainstream Rock chart and Alternative Rock chart as well. If you expand to those three charts, you will find that “No Rain” charted on all three, while “Tones of Home” and “Galaxie” only charted OUTSIDE the Billboard Top 40.

Here is a link to Blind Melon’s discography and chart success for albums and singles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Melon_discography
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
38th Round  David Bowie - Lazarus (2016 album release date)

Haunting, beautiful.

Bowie and John were particularly close, and after John died, Bowie spent a lot of time with Sean Lennon, becoming a second father to him.  Collaboration-wise, most notable were their recordings of "Across the Universe" and the co-written "Fame."  In addition, Ringo appeared in the Ziggy Stardust movie.

Something Prince is a requirement in my jukebox. I spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure out if this counted, but alas it wasn't meant to be. The story behind it and the show stealing solo may be the best moment in rock hall history, but best to my knowledge no such release ever occurred. So, onto plan B - no one can possibly one-up a Prince original, but who came closest? I hemmed and hawed between two, but despite my soft spot for this mid 90's classic in an even better movie this one's better:

Round 39 Incubus - Let's Go Crazy (2009)

one of our decades will only have 5 years - are we requiring the list is consecutive? 

ex.)  my last decade are the '00s ...so does it have to be 2000 - 2004? 

or are people jumping around the decade?

Whoops. I messed up my free play. I totally bricked. I was so enthralled by the ye ye that I forgot to use 1971. I will next time if I can get a hall pass. 

What’s this? A Vietnam song in the 21st Century?  Hell yeah!  Yo Mama selects:

39.ym - Jedi Mind Tricks - Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story (2006)

not released as a single

Just an incredible track. Starts off with audio from Nixon’s resignation speech, Vinnie Paz then jumps into an awesome first person account of a soldier in Nam:

I didn't sign up to kill women or any children
For every enemy soldier, we killin' six civilians
Yeah, and it ain't right to me
I ain't got enough of mother####in' fight in me
It frightens me, and I just wanna see my son and moms
But over here they droppin' seven million tons of bombs

R.A. The Rugged Man then gives an incredible story of his father, Staff Sgt. John Thorburn, who served in Vietnam and whose chopper was shot down during a reconnaissance mission:

Until I see the pilot got hit, and we 'bout to hit some trees
Tail rotor broke, crash land
American man in Cambodia, right in the enemy hand
Take a swig of the Whiskey to calm us
Them yellow men wearin' black pajamas
They wanna harm us, they all up on us
Bang bang, bullet hit my chest, feel no pain
To my left, the Captain caught a bullet right in his brain
Body parts flyin', loss of limbs, explosions
Bad intentions, I see my best friend's intestines
Pray to the one above, it's rainin', I'm covered in mud
I think I'm dyin', I feel dizzy, I'm losin' blood
I see my childhood, I'm back in the arms of my mother
I see my whole life, I see Christ, I see bright lights

Great song with an incredible story. 

36.03: More Today Than Yesterday - Spiral Staircase (1969)

FIRST DICE ROLL PICK

At a time when my tastes were moving to much heavier rock and roll - I was always drawn by this AM classic.  Still love it.  

and hey ...where else do you get a classic hit with Larry Czonka on bass - groovin' some the smoothest footwork since James Brown??

Tough decision between this and a Youngbloods tune.  

39th Round  Jellyfish - New Mistake (1993)

No surprise that I enjoy the power-pop-y, XTC-and-Big-Star inflected yumminess of Jellyfish.  I wanted something off the first album, but this year works better for me, and I'm more than happy to have this on my jukebox.

Andy Sturmer played guitar, sang backing vocals, and penned a song for Ringo's album, Time Takes Time.

39th Round  Jellyfish - New Mistake (1993)

No surprise that I enjoy the power-pop-y, XTC-and-Big-Star inflected yumminess of Jellyfish.  I wanted something off the first album, but this year works better for me, and I'm more than happy to have this on my jukebox.

Andy Sturmer played guitar, sang backing vocals, and penned a song for Ringo's album, Time Takes Time.
these guys are beatle-ey awesome

I’m probably going to mulligan my Glorified G pick at the end of the draft. I had a mixup on the year for another song on my list and I like that one for my playlist more (and I don’t want to use my free play free play on it). 

Users who are viewing this thread