What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

This song gets overlooked on that monster album Kick.  It's a lovely little song.
It was on the next album X. It's one of my favorites by them.  I wonder if things would have ended up differently for Michael Hutchence had he not fractured his skull back in 1992. He killed himself five years later, and the coroner said he had permanent brain damage. All the people close to him said he changed after hitting his head. He became depressed and more aggressive, and not the easy going person he had been. 

Last edited by a moderator:
46th Round  Nirvana - Lithium (1991)

Third song taken from this album!

Paul and the surviving members of Nirvana wrote and recorded the song, "Cut Me Some Slack" for Dave Grohl's Sound City film and soundtrack, and the collaboration won the "Best Rock Song" Grammy in 2014.  

A bit more tangential, but Ringo did the photography for the Foo Fighters album, Sonic Highways.

Woohoo! I had something on my mental draft list about 20 rounds ago, but didn’t put it on my **official** cheat sheet so I totally forgot about it. Luckily I just remembered the song and I haven’t filled that years slot in my jukebox yet. 47th round pick, here we come!

Woohoo! I had something on my mental draft list about 20 rounds ago, but didn’t put it on my **official** cheat sheet so I totally forgot about it. Luckily I just remembered the song and I haven’t filled that years slot in my jukebox yet. 47th round pick, here we come!
That's like how I've miraculously gotten bonus songs from not realizing until just before the pick that a song I also love was the B-side, or the song happened to be a B-side to something I also like. Another one of the latter coming tonight. 

46th Round  Nirvana - Lithium (1991)

Third song taken from this album!

Paul and the surviving members of Nirvana wrote and recorded the song, "Cut Me Some Slack" for Dave Grohl's Sound City film and soundtrack, and the collaboration won the "Best Rock Song" Grammy in 2014.  

A bit more tangential, but Ringo did the photography for the Foo Fighters album, Sonic Highways.
...and I drafted one cover and threw back another.

It was on the next album X. It's one of my favorites by them.  I wonder if things would have ended up differently for Michael Hutchence had he not fractured his skull back in 1992. He killed himself five years later, and the coroner said he had permanent brain damage. All the people close to him said he changed after hitting his head. He became depressed and more aggressive, and not the easy going person he had been. 
I should have know that.  I owned that CD - it wasn't a hard case cd it was the cardboardy one that opened weird.

Edit: nevermind that was a different one "Welcome To Wherever You Are"

The point is, most people (me included I guess) only think of Kick because it was such a monster, but the albums before and after had some gems on them.

Kick is a great “modern” product of the 80s that wasn’t marred by godawful contemporary production issues. Why weren’t more mainstream rock acts doing this kind of thing?

Petition that, since we have picks 48 and 49 coming up tomorrow, we add a special Friday night extra pick #50 to close it out, but pick #50 must be posted along with italicized lyrics (need not be lyrics from song selected).
I’d be good with that

Petition that, since we have picks 48 and 49 coming up tomorrow, we add a special Friday night extra pick #50 to close it out, but pick #50 must be posted along with italicized lyrics (need not be lyrics from song selected).
My rounds 1-49 picks will be from 49 consecutive years. The OCD side of me wants to do a 50th consecutive year for the last pick. The other side of me wants to do a mic-drop kind of pick [Narrator: No one will care] that would break the chain. 

ETA: I don't care when the 50th pick is made, so krista's idea is fine with me. 

Closing out the 90's with this pick. Not quite a hit,peaking at #78, but still a good song especially for the timeframe as mentioned above.

Round46Blue on Black-Kenny Wayne Sheppard 1998
@Pip's Invitation's response to my late 90's post motivated me to go back and look through what I actually have in my library and check out wikipedia to see if there's anything I had forgotten about. I didn't set out for cover song purposes though. For covers I've had Foo Fighters Baker Street as my default for 1997 since day 1, but I think it's just...okay - and have been periodically looking for something better. I couldn't talk myself into Save Ferris' cover of Come On Eileen, as much as I love Prodigy's Fat Of The Land this cover is probably the weakest track on it, and any other attempt to find something in 97 came up snake eyes. So I was resigned to Gerry Rafferty sans sax sometime towards the end of this thing, but as I scrolled along wikipedia today one line got my attention. As Weasel's pick states Kenny Wayne Shepard didn't break through until 98, but as a sight for sore eyes this album was actually released late 97. His label just didn't get behind it until a few months later. So I accidentally solved my 1997 problem.

Round 47 Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Everything Is Broken (1997)

When it comes to Bob Dylan I fall in the great song writer/awful singer category, so this track really is the perfect fit. I think the more subdued version of Dylan's original is kinda cool (love the harmonica touch), but Kenny's energy to his rendition of it is infectious. He takes this song to another level and fills a much needed void in my juke - a Dylan writing credit wasn't a must but it's a nice get.

And give yourself a little credit, Weasel - Blue on Black may not have been a billboard smash, but it (among others) dominated the rock charts from spring 98 into 99. Slow Ride, Somewhere Somehow Someway, and my pick all had their moments but yours charted for 42 straight weeks, 6 at #1.

My rounds 1-49 picks will be from 49 consecutive years. The OCD side of me wants to do a 50th consecutive year for the last pick. The other side of me wants to do a mic-drop kind of pick [Narrator: No one will care] that would break the chain. 

ETA: I don't care when the 50th pick is made, so krista's idea is fine with me. 
That's impressive!

My suggestion was just because otherwise 50th would be on Saturday morning.  Thought we'd have more fun/discussion if it were Friday night.

So I thought of this song shortly after my PE selection, but totally forgot to add it to my cheat sheet. This would have been fun to pair this as a double up pick with that song (a la @rockaction and @Long Ball Larry) if I had thought of it at the time. Yo Mama selects:

47.ym - The Isley Brothers - Fight the Power (Part 1 & 2) (1975)

I need some funk in the jukebox and this delivers.  The fact that it’s anti-authority, speaks against racial inequality, and (gasp) uses a swear word makes this song perfect for my unrest/protest Jukebox  The fact that it’s an absolute jam made it one of the groups most popular songs. 

Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we've got to fight the powers that be
Got so many voices, saying all the same, yeah
Killing up all around me, faces full of pain

I tried to play my music, they say my music’s too loud
I tried talking about it, I got the big runaround
And when I rolled with the punches I got knocked on the ground
By all this bull#### going down, hey

Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we got to fight the powers that be

47th Round  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Trapped (1985)

I found one!  I'd been staring at 1985 for so long, worried I'd end up taking Michael Jackson when I really don't want him on my island.  I'd also been trying to find a way to fit in a Nils Lofgren connection, but other than last year's Colorado, all his work in Crazy Horse was in years I already covered.  I knew he'd been in the E Street Band, too, of course, but as I've mentioned I've never been big on Bruce.

And then I remembered...there was this Springsteen song way back when, it must have been somewhere around 1985, that I wore the #### out of playing it all the damn time.  Could it be?  YES!!!  1985.

This is Bruce's live version of a Jimmy Cliff song, which was released on the We Are the World album.  :bag:   It's been so long that I figured I'd better check to make sure I still like it, and I do.  Love those high harmonies!  Great cover version here by Bruce and the band; one of those covers where they kept the fundamentals of the song but made it their own.

Nils Lofgren was a member of Ringo's First and Second All-Starr Bands and also guested with the Third and Twelfth versions.

I really need to have some fun* right now and have been having a hard time figuring these tracks out again, so let's go with 

Trinity

Jedi Mind Tricks

(2000)

Going back to the well with Stoupe, continuing to flex his muscle by using

Concerto in D Minor - Allegro

Tomaso Albinoni

(1722)

This is the kind of thing that is normally on jukeboxes, right?  IDGAF, it's going on mine.  Not to mention the fact that in a music composition class in college, I actually wrote a piece for violin and oboe myself, which was performed at a recital (narrator: it wasn't that good).

*This is my idea of fun?**

**No, This is My Idea of Fun, The story of a devilishly clever international financier/marketing wizard and his young apprentice, My Idea of Fun is both a frighteningly dark subterranean exploration of capitalism run rampant and a wickedly sharp, technically acute display of linguistic pyrotechnics that glows with pure white-hot brilliance.

You #### wid me you won't survive
Ikon been live since eighty five
Mine'll still have a carat that's tragical crystallized
Hit them guys, in they eyes wid ####in' shrapnel
Bomb they castle, set fire until they trapped in
Rap colossal, run rappers who wanna battle
Hologram wid two bad hands force you to grapple
Evil wraps you, reverse time and bring diseases
Christians will worship Allah and Muslims will worship Jesus
Kill all ya leaders, wid my savage lyrical thesis
Rip out my ####in' heart and eat it before I'm defeated
The one who seen it, on the throne was in a forcefield
You'll get tossed and feel lost like holy god feel
Raw deal, rappers decipher that skism
Followed Solomon and brought him in at ya baptism

47th Round  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Trapped (1985)

I'd also been trying to find a way to fit in a Nils Lofgren connection, but other than last year's Colorado, all his work in Crazy Horse was in years I already covered.
So that's why you asked about that album. I thought it was just a question that naturally flowed from my hating on Neil's 2017 album. 😅

I had no idea Nils appeared on Colorado until I finally got the CD this year. Looks like longtime CH guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro has retired to Hawaii, so Nils is back in the fold. He was Danny Whitten's temporary replacement for some of the After the Gold Rush sessions (after Neil fired Whitten and Billy Talbot) and for Tonight's the Night (recorded a few months after Whitten died and dedicated in part to him.) 

So that's why you asked about that album. I thought it was just a question that naturally flowed from my hating on Neil's 2017 album. 😅

I had no idea Nils appeared on Colorado until I finally got the CD this year. Looks like longtime CH guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro has retired to Hawaii, so Nils is back in the fold. He was Danny Whitten's temporary replacement for some of the After the Gold Rush sessions (after Neil fired Whitten and Billy Talbot) and for Tonight's the Night (recorded a few months after Whitten died and dedicated in part to him.) 
Yes.  :lmao:   I was too subtle.  Since you were meh on it, I looked elsewhere.

Nils did an album of Neil covers in 2009

I did NOT foresee 1722 as one of the years used in this draft. 
Technically, Larry should find a recording and use its year but it doesn't matter at this point.  Unless there's a live performance from 1722 on Spotify.

The years gimmick has served its purpose in this draft.

Rats in my neighborhood have been roaming far and wide this year due to lots of construction and closed restaurants.
That sucks. We had a rat problem a couple years ago but now have a feral cat problem instead. Not really a problem and much better.

46.ee - Raise Your Hand - Eddie Floyd (1967)

According to setlist.fm, Springsteen has encored with "Raise Your Hand" 210 times over the years.  That puts it in a tie for third among covers he's performed live behind "Twist and Shout" and "Trapped" and tied with "Quarter to Three".

The song is a great piece of Stax Soul that takes its sweet time digging its groove.  The Boss turned it into a crowd pleasing audience participation number.

47.ee - If I Should Fall Behind - Linda Ronstadt (1998)

I consciously tried to keep the number of cover versions in my jukebox to a manageable amount.  This one brings the number at eleven which is one more than my :nerd: target.  I've thought about mulliganning out the Jump version of "Dancing In the Dark" but it fits the theme better than the alternatives.

Ronstadt has always been an excellent interpreter of other people's songs.  She does a lovely reading of one of Springsteen's most unabashed love songs off of the underrated Lucky Town album.

Users who are viewing this thread