What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (5 Viewers)

apologies ...had company over - swam in the cement pond, cooked dinner and had many drinks and laughs.

sous vide some pork tenderloins that had a 24-hour marinade in a whiskey/soy sauce mixture - then reverse-seared them on the grill, and had a homemade hollandaise on the side

grilled white sweet corn 

I know people here hate cantaloupe but as melt in your melt the tenderloins were ...everyone went nuts over this

our guests brought over an italian creme cake with blueberries ...I'm not a cake guy, but this thing wasn't "cakey: ..more gooey ...it was great

and we all ####-hammered.  
That all sounds delicious and reminds me I haven't had lunch yet.

That cantaloupe salad looks great, have to try that sometime. If it comes out great I could probably earn enough husband points to gain a level .

Now that the draft is over, I have no idea what to do with myself. I was sort of used to the routine of thinking up sampled songs and tooling around web sites and sampling sites for ideas. whosampled.com was instrumental in my endeavor to do this. (So was being at the turn.)

And life moves, but we're not released yet from this all. 

Follow me I can show you where we be sat
How'd you get your g pass
None of your ####### beeswax
These raps hold a joint together like a kneecap
Don't show me a little 8 ball, show me where the keys at

&

Last edited by a moderator:
Supply of most food items has been back to normal for some time but I've still been unable to find any orzo.  I bought some Acini Di Pepe as a substitute without knowing anything about it but it appears to be more like couscous.

50.xx Happy - Surface (1986)

(Complete with a mid 80's phone call!!!!)

Mulligan coming up.

Can you take someone's song that they dropped from their Mulligan and then still take your Mulligan.

I like to say Mulligan.

Groove Sauce Mulligan:

Moving my Jodeci song to 1992 (it was released as a single in '92 but the album was out in 1991)

That means my 1992 song is thrown back - Passin' Me By - The Pharcyde

All this to include this gem from 1991:

Breakin' My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes) - Mint Condition (1991)

This song has been in my head all week waiting to use it as my Mulligan.  I love it.

3.Mulligan

Throwing back The Roots Seed 2.0 and taking an unheralded song from 2001
Trying to acquire this wavier wire song.  Not sure I can make it work...

I don't have a 2002 song and it was released in that year....  :oldunsure:

Was going down a semi-drunk/high Spotify rabbit hole tonight and found a solid sample double up for @rockaction and @Long Ball Larry 

Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin’ (1982)

and 

Warren G feat Nate Dog - Regulate (1994)

I’m so happy for myself right now. I audibly gave a Keanu “whoa” at the start of the McDonald classic. 

[extreme Michael McDonald voice]
If you smoke like I smoke
Then you're high like everyday
And if yo' ### is a busta, 213 will regulate

Was going down a semi-drunk/high Spotify rabbit hole tonight and found a solid sample double up for @rockaction and @Long Ball Larry 

Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin’ (1982)

and 

Warren G feat Nate Dog - Regulate (1994)

I’m so happy for myself right now. I audibly gave a Keanu “whoa” at the start of the McDonald classic. 

[extreme Michael McDonald voice]
If you smoke like I smoke
Then you're high like everyday
And if yo' ### is a busta, 213 will regulate
Funny, because when I was doing this I thought '94 would be the easiest year and I don't think I picked anything from it. I think because Gang Starr w/DJ Premier cut an album that year and so did the Beatnuts, I thought it would be easy, but I never found anything with clarity that I would have liked. The East Coast jazz-heavy Native Tongue scene was kind of dying or already dead, Rawkus and the indies weren't upon us yet, and West Coast was Death Row and Tupac. 

RIP Nate Dogg. There was a time when his vocal hooks, once scorned as a little childish and stupid, came back strong in the aughts and he proved to be a formidable collaborator. 

Somebody else picked Regulate. I figured that's why our sample drafter's didn't do that double-up; they waited too long!

Actually, one more before the curtain closes...

Who do you pick? 

Selection A

Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone (1998)
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again (1983)
Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side (1972)
Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? (1990)

Selection B

Fatboy Slim - Praise You (1998)
Various Players - The Theme From The Fat Albert Show (1972)
Similak Child - Black Sheep (1991)
Jefferson Airplane - Today (1967)

or instead of the last two,

Rebel Without A Pause - Public Enemy (1987)
Funky Drummer (1970)

What say you?  As you can see the straight '98, '72 swaps were hard enough. Fatboy or Albert or Lou Reed? Tough calls, all. 

Also, added Rebel Without A Pause (Public Enemy, 1987) to go with Funky Drummer and also the aformentioned Similak Child (Black Sheep, 1991) with Today (Jefferson Airplane, 1967) to the Spotify playlist/mix to replace those missing from the Spotify selections. They don't conflict with any other song's years. Yeah, I had more in the can.

Who do you pick? 

Selection A

Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again
Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side
Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?

Selection B

Fatboy Slim - Praise You
Various Players - The Theme From The Fat Albert Show
Similak Child - Black Sheep
Jefferson Airplane - Today

Also, added Rebel Without A Pause (Public Enemy, 1987) to go with Funky Drummer and also the aformentioned Similak Child (Black Sheep, 1991) with Today (Jefferson Airplane, 1967) to the Spotify playlist/mix to replace those missing from the Spotify selections. They don't conflict with any other song's years. Yeah, I had more in the can.
i guess B because "Today" was drafted at 1.01

Who do you pick? 

Selection A

Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone (1998)
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again (1983)
Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side (1972)
Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? (1990)

Selection B

Fatboy Slim - Praise You (1998)
Various Players - The Theme From The Fat Albert Show (1972)
Similak Child - Black Sheep (1991)
Jefferson Airplane - Today (1967)

or instead of the last two,

Rebel Without A Pause - Public Enemy (1987)
Funky Drummer (1970)

What say you?  As you can see the straight '98, '72 swaps were hard enough. Fatboy or Albert or Lou Reed? Tough calls, all. 

A

OASIS DINER - just off the interstate, corner ol' State Rtes 8 & 88, between a gypsum mine & the Gates of Hell. Join brother proprietors Bone & Stinky for great chicken-fried possum, armadillo chili, the death Klezmer combo Blind Horse on Saturday nites and the best jukebox no one's ever heard, including:

San Antonio Rose - Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys (1940)

Nature Boy - Nat Cole Trio (1948)

Cool Water - Sons of the Pioneers (1949)

You Rascal You - Louis Jordan & Louis Armstrong (1950)

Hey' Good Lookin' - Hank Williams (1951)

How High the Moon - Les Paul & Mary Ford (1953)

Mr. Sandman - The Chordettes (1954)

Flip, Flop & Fly - Big Joe Turner (1955)

Long Tall Sally - Little Richard (1956)

Walking After Midnight - Patsy Cline (1957)

I Only Have Eyes for You - The Flamingos (1958)

What'd I Say - Ray Charles (1959)

El Paso - Marty Robbins (1960)

I Wanna Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles (1963)

Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying - Gerry & the Pacemakers (1964)

Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs (1965)

Paint It Black - Rolling Stones (1966)

Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra (1966)

Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin (1967)

I Put a Spell On You _ Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968)

Oh, Well Pts 1 & 2 - Fleetwood Mac (1969)

Boy Named Sue  - Johnny Cash (1969)

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)- Jimi Hendrix (1970)

Riders on the Storm - The Doors (1971)

Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye (1972)

I Can't Stand the Rain - Ann Peebles (1973)

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group (1973)

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (1975)

Lo Siento Mi Vida - Linda Ronstadt (1976)

Love & Happiness - Rev. Al Green (1977)

Take Me To The River - Talking Heads (1978)

One Step Beyond - Madness (1979)

Rock Lobster - B52s (1980)

Genius of Love  - Tom Tom Club (1981)

Big Log - Robert Plant (1983)

Couldnt Stand the Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughn (1984)

Into the Night - BB King (1985)

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel (1986)

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns n Roses (1987)

Devil Inside - INXS (1988)

Somewhere in America (There's a Street Name After My Dad) - Was/Not Was (1992)

Loser - Beck (1993)

No Diggity - Blackstreet (1996)

Paranoid Android - Radiohead (1997)

Freak On a Leash - Korn (1998)

Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys (2000)

Hey Ya - Outkast (2003)

Happy - Pharrell Williams (2013)

It probably was a bad idea to end this draft simultaneously with the mid-year song draft. 

I listened to Simey's juke on my walk today.  The shuffle gods gave me a bunch of 80s songs mixed in with some Soul.

Remind me that when I become a famous rapper in my fifties (hey, RTJ broke in their mid-forties. Why not?) I'm sampling the Grateful Dead in some capacity if I can get the clearances.

I'm in a Dead mood.

Steal Your Face. 

Oh my God. One of the albums that ended up in my DI Album draft did just that. "Knock"by Jean Grae sampled "Help Is On The Way" off of Blues For Allah.

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/91980/Jean-Grae-Knock-Grateful-Dead-Help-on-the-Way/

Hustles don't get knocked, except the ones that
#### with my business and dough, you can forget that
I told you once it's not gangsta, it's just right
Don't get it ####ed, I don't like to spit my #### twice
Keep your fake thuggin, afraid to get in fist fights
Glittery knuckles never made me shiver, buckle never
Knocka, this how I get down

&

Eephus, this was a fantastic, maybe my favorite (music), draft I've been a part of.  I liked the rules and challenge of the years.  :)   But with most everyone doing different themes, it was great to see all the variety, and I loved the education I received from many others.  

I still had Simey's in my recently played list so I shuffled it again while on some quick errands.  Some joker had just plugged the juke with Age of Aquarius and Tie a Yellow Ribbon.  There was a bunch of other stuff as well but those are the two that stuck in my head

Just looking for the thread to post my daily jam in...

You go lights, camera, action with no makeup
We De La to the death or at least until we break up
Here's a couple of nice guys who finished first
So nice try, but the prize is ours dispersed
They say the good die young, so I added some
Bad-### to my flavor to prolong my life over the drum
Everyone cools off from being hot
It's about if you can handle being cold or not

&

(Even if we're not still doing that...)

I still had Simey's in my recently played list so I shuffled it again while on some quick errands.  Some joker had just plugged the juke with Age of Aquarius and Tie a Yellow Ribbon.  There was a bunch of other stuff as well but those are the two that stuck in my head
You got lucky landing on those two tunes!   :towelwave:

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me
If you still want me

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years, do you still want me? (still want me)
If I don't see a ribbon 'round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do if you still want me
If you still want me

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years, do you still want me? (still want me)
If I don't see a ribbon 'round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
Right song, wrong Tony

@Clifton

I broke out the dice today and rolled @mphtrilogy 52 Girls music machine.  Enjoyed it and thought it had a nice flow.  Mostly mid-tempo songs that was very good to walk to, "Linus & Lucy" in particular.  The only song I skipped was "Sweet Caroline" because I'm just not in the mood.  Don't think I heard the Enid song.  I listened to about 90 minutes which is probably less than half of it but enough to get a flavor that's worthy of Top Chef.

"Rosalita" came on when I was coming home so I burst through the front door singing "the record company Rosie just gave me a big advance" which elicited a "what?" from Mrs. Eephus in the next room.

Updated my playlist (I know you're listening out there, in the wild, incognito, you guys...) to reflect the more sample/source thing I had going on in the draft. Moved "Apache" and "Amen, Brother" to the front of the list and attached a few at the back that were discussed in the free play rounds, rounds I chose not to use a diptych.

Also included Future's "Covered N Money" to replace Mac Miller from 2014 (unavailable) and added Vince Staples's "Senorita" from 2015. No conflicts still. Sadly, Ellington and Coltrane and Three 6 Mafia left the building with their solitary selves in order to keep it at fifty. 

I rolled @Yo Mama protest songs jukebox today.  It was an interesting listen taking the songs out of their original context and putting them together into a mix of other political statements.  That said, the theme didn't seem overly didactic because of the varying musical styles.  There were some songs that I didn't realize were protest songs before.

It was a nice mix of mostly Rock and Rap with some other stuff thrown in.  Memorable tunes were "Biko" because it came on when we were tackling a big hill and "World Destruction" because I haven't heard it in a million years.

I think I owe two picks and updating my playlist. I’ll do over the weekend. Work was busy this week and I’m doing the movie draft. Sorry.

Is there a music/football draft this year? I finished second in Year 1 but my Bowie only draft didn’t do me any favors in Year 2.

I rolled @Yo Mama protest songs jukebox today.  It was an interesting listen taking the songs out of their original context and putting them together into a mix of other political statements.  That said, the theme didn't seem overly didactic because of the varying musical styles.  There were some songs that I didn't realize were protest songs before.

It was a nice mix of mostly Rock and Rap with some other stuff thrown in.  Memorable tunes were "Biko" because it came on when we were tackling a big hill and "World Destruction" because I haven't heard it in a million years.
I had the same experience as the bold; really learned a lot from Yo Mama's write-ups (which I read).

I Can't Drive 55!

Users who are viewing this thread