Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Eephus

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

Recommended Posts

Just now, Eephus said:

I don't consider Montrose as a Sammy Hagar song

or Van Hagar either for that matter

Fair nuff... 

I really dropped VH at 1984.

Not really criticism, but the old is my jam. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krista4 said:

I had the same experience as the bold; really learned a lot from Yo Mama's write-ups (which I read).

Have you had a chance to listen to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eephus said:

I rolled @Yo Mama protest songs jukebox today.  It was an interesting listen taking the songs out of their original context and putting them together into a mix of other political statements.  That said, the theme didn't seem overly didactic because of the varying musical styles.  There were some songs that I didn't realize were protest songs before.

It was a nice mix of mostly Rock and Rap with some other stuff thrown in.  Memorable tunes were "Biko" because it came on when we were tackling a big hill and "World Destruction" because I haven't heard it in a million years.

Thanks for listening. I tried to mix up the genres as much as I could (within my wheelhouse). 
 

I definitely stretched the “protest” definition for a few years based on how the song was presented / performed or how it is associated with different movements. 
 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Is there a music/football draft this year? I finished second in Year 1 but my Bowie only draft didn’t do me any favors in Year 2.

I beat you in the semis that year. ;)

I beat Nick Vermeil to win it.

You finished third!!! Mahomes was your QB and I had the song and everything all picked out for him during the draft. "Heartbeat" by Buddy Holly from Lubbock, TX. 

simey killed me last year with snipes, too. It's really quite the snipey football draft, all things considered. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seriously, are we doing the music/football thing? Might be really difficult this year, and ain't seen NV around in a bit. Probably nursing the T-dot loss in the hockey scheme of things. :missing:

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the flip side, I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to listen to other playlists the past couple weeks. 
 

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to remove some skin cancer cells from one of my ears. They took enough skin off that I needed a skin graft to replace it, so I now have to wear a salad bowl sized thing filled with gauze strapped to my head to protect my ear. 
 

Long story short, it sucks listening to music with one headphone, and I’m not supposed to get to sweaty so I can’t go for my walks/hikes where I usually do most of my music listening. 
 

Hopefully I’ll be back on my normal #### in another week. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Seriously, are we doing the music/football thing? Might be really difficult this year, and ain't seen NV around in a bit. Probably nursing the T-dot loss in the hockey scheme of things. :missing:

I'm out this year.  I know it's bad form to win and quit but this isn't a money league.

I'm having a hard time caring enough to manage my baseball teams this year and that's a sport I love.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

On the flip side, I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to listen to other playlists the past couple weeks. 
 

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to remove some skin cancer cells from one of my ears. They took enough skin off that I needed a skin graft to replace it, so I now have to wear a salad bowl sized thing filled with gauze strapped to my head to protect my ear. 
 

Long story short, it sucks listening to music with one headphone, and I’m not supposed to get to sweaty so I can’t go for my walks/hikes where I usually do most of my music listening. 
 

Hopefully I’ll be back on my normal #### in another week. 

Hang in there mama

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

On the flip side, I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to listen to other playlists the past couple weeks. 
 

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to remove some skin cancer cells from one of my ears. They took enough skin off that I needed a skin graft to replace it, so I now have to wear a salad bowl sized thing filled with gauze strapped to my head to protect my ear. 
 

Long story short, it sucks listening to music with one headphone, and I’m not supposed to get to sweaty so I can’t go for my walks/hikes where I usually do most of my music listening. 
 

Hopefully I’ll be back on my normal #### in another week. 

Well wishes sent your way, mang. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm out this year.  I know it's bad form to win and quit but this isn't a money league.

I'm having a hard time caring enough to manage my baseball teams this year and that's a sport I love.

Too bad, but I can see that. I'm having a hard time thinking about all redrafts, and I love FF still. I just can't seem to really care with the pandemic and all.

Care about my dynasty team still, though. Spent a whole lot of time getting up to speed on it as a newbie and I think the time invested has led me to convince myself I'm wayyyy into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Too bad, but I can see that. I'm having a hard time thinking about all redrafts, and I love FF still. I just can't seem to really care with the pandemic and all.

Care about my dynasty team still, though. Spent a whole lot of time getting up to speed on it as a newbie and I think the time invested has led me to convince myself I'm wayyyy into it. 

I'm feeling the same ennui over the dynasty baseball league I've been in for 13 years.  NV and PIK are in the league as well.

Definitely haven't been as active on the waiver wire and my lineup management hasn't been up to standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Have you had a chance to listen to it?

I haven't listened to any yet, nor put my own together.  :(  Hopefully very soon.

And damn, Yo Mama, hope you're on the mend.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

On the flip side, I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to listen to other playlists the past couple weeks. 
 

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to remove some skin cancer cells from one of my ears. They took enough skin off that I needed a skin graft to replace it, so I now have to wear a salad bowl sized thing filled with gauze strapped to my head to protect my ear. 
 

Long story short, it sucks listening to music with one headphone, and I’m not supposed to get to sweaty so I can’t go for my walks/hikes where I usually do most of my music listening. 
 

Hopefully I’ll be back on my normal #### in another week. 

get well, man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

I'm out this year.  I know it's bad form to win and quit but this isn't a money league.

That just goes to show that the wrong person won the championship last year.  :coffee:

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I haven't listened to any yet, nor put my own together.  :(  Hopefully very soon.

And damn, Yo Mama, hope you're on the mend.

 

I did your playlist and updated the OP

krista4 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4YMuUrq7tgVlQ71SC3gNFl?si=idJdraXPQ9W7c4WtpPBY_A

The Ray Charles/Diana Krall record is only available in karaoke versions.  A couple of B-sides weren't on Spotify.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yo Mama said:

On the flip side, I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to listen to other playlists the past couple weeks. 
 

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to remove some skin cancer cells from one of my ears. They took enough skin off that I needed a skin graft to replace it, so I now have to wear a salad bowl sized thing filled with gauze strapped to my head to protect my ear. 
 

Ouch. Have you turned over on your side yet and had that ear go down on the pillow?  I wish you a speedy recovery. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, simey said:

That just goes to show that the wrong person won the championship last year.  :coffee:

:ptts:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I did your playlist and updated the OP

krista4 https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4YMuUrq7tgVlQ71SC3gNFl?si=idJdraXPQ9W7c4WtpPBY_A

The Ray Charles/Diana Krall record is only available in karaoke versions.  A couple of B-sides weren't on Spotify.

HOLY CRAP, thank you!!!  Wow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of those east end lights, muggy nights
The curtains drawn in the little room downstairs
Prima donna lord you really should have been there
Sitting like a princess perched in her electric chair
And it's one more beer
And I don't hear you anymore
We've all gone crazy lately
My friends out there rolling round the basement floor  ooohhhhh

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eephus said:

I'm out this year.  I know it's bad form to win and quit but this isn't a money league.

I'm having a hard time caring enough to manage my baseball teams this year and that's a sport I love.

To my surprise I've been suffering something similar. Part of it is the family staying up later, but I've barely watched any games beginning-to-end. Rather than turn on a late inning game when they all go to bed I've just followed them upstairs. And I'm not watching this weekend, but I've trended towards golf on Saturday and Sunday instead of baseball. The extent of my magic baseball management has been a late day check-in just to make sure there weren't any injuries to account for, a morning scroll through razzball, and if I get an alert saying someone in my lineup is not starting. 

If I'm this disengaged with baseball I can't imagine I lock in to football beyond my hapless Browns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rockaction said:

Seriously, are we doing the music/football thing? Might be really difficult this year, and ain't seen NV around in a bit. Probably nursing the T-dot loss in the hockey scheme of things. :missing:

If we can get at least 12 people together we can do it. It will probably be a chaotic season that blows up, but the league is free, and so no money is lost if it goes up in flames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, simey said:

Ouch. Have you turned over on your side yet and had that ear go down on the pillow?  I wish you a speedy recovery. 

No I still have to sleep on one side all night. 
 

Thanks everyone for the TPW

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 9:55 PM, KarmaPolice said:

HERE  is my playlist of 50 years of Movie Music.   YES - there are a couple cheats, but the 80s soundtracks are more awesomer than other soundtracks!! 

@Eephus 

In case you wanted to add to the OP.   Taking a small road trip today, so I was going to listen to one or two of these, and noticed mine wasn't in there.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, thank @Eephus for this format and getting this started.  I enjoyed this one quite a bit.  Also am digging some of the B-Sides (mine and others) that I had no clue existed.  That was a nice bonus in this draft.  ONE of the best parts of these things is discovering new music/artists and why I keep coming back. 

Thanks Everyone!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I rolled and shuffled @Hov34 Groove Sauce or Groove Shack on what passes for a muggy August day in these parts.  Lots of great songs with kind of a late night vibe to it.  It can get funky on occasion but then settles back into the groove sauce or shack.

I heard Michael Jackson three times but it's too late to check into flipside shenanigans.  There were a couple of songs in French which I always love and you know how I feel about Black women.  The Alicia Keys voicemail monologue is ridiculous.

 

 

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I rolled and shuffled @Hov34 Groove Sauce or Groove Shack on what passes for a muggy August day in these parts.  Lots of great songs with kind of a late night vibe to it.  It can get funky on occasion but then settles back into the groove sauce or shack.

I heard Michael Jackson three times but it's too late to check into flipside shenanigans.  There were a couple of songs in French which I always love and you know how I feel about Black women.  The Alicia Keys voicemail monologue is ridiculous.

 

 

I took 2 from MJ (A and B side) and 2 from Jackson 5 (A & B)

Groove Shenanigans

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to @Raging weasel His&Hers 1 and no hit Wonders jukebox.  It would have taken me a long time to figure out the concept but it was an interesting mix with some off the wall choices to liven things up.  I'm still not sure what the His&Hers part in the title means; there weren't any duets that stood out.  Electric Avenue by the Reggae cover band was the only song I skipped.

It was a short walk today down to the farmers' market without a lot of lollygagging because of the poor air quality here.  I'll try to get back to this jukebox later.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eephus said:

Listened to @Raging weasel His&Hers 1 and no hit Wonders jukebox.  It would have taken me a long time to figure out the concept but it was an interesting mix with some off the wall choices to liven things up.  I'm still not sure what the His&Hers part in the title means; there weren't any duets that stood out.  Electric Avenue by the Reggae cover band was the only song I skipped.

It was a short walk today down to the farmers' market without a lot of lollygagging because of the poor air quality here.  I'll try to get back to this jukebox later.

Basement bar jukebox- his/hers is 25 songs of my music(rock)and 25 of my wife's(dance/pop). There are also 24 each of male and female lead vocals and 2 instrumentals.

Thanks for listening!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone here watched the documentary about CREEM Magazine that came out recently? As far as I can tell, you can only access it by the link I provided and it's $10.

Anyway, I watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.I honestly don't know how that magazine ever got off the ground - much less become as influential as it did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 11:48 PM, rockaction said:

Seriously, are we doing the music/football thing? Might be really difficult this year, and ain't seen NV around in a bit. Probably nursing the T-dot loss in the hockey scheme of things. :missing:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't run it this year, I haven't even finished the last two drafts (this one and 2020 mid year). If someone else wants to rally the troops, I'll participate and run the yahoo side of commissionering the league but I'm not around here as much lately. Maybe the draft will pull me back in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't run it this year, I haven't even finished the last two drafts (this one and 2020 mid year). If someone else wants to rally the troops, I'll participate and run the yahoo side of commissionering the league but I'm not around here as much lately. Maybe the draft will pull me back in. 

Oh man, that's too bad. Eephus said he was out, too. I would try, though I have no means or ideas with which to do it or how to rally people. It's okay. It was fun while it lasted. I think more important is that we get you to stick around. Suspensions a part of that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't run it this year, I haven't even finished the last two drafts (this one and 2020 mid year). If someone else wants to rally the troops, I'll participate and run the yahoo side of commissionering the league but I'm not around here as much lately. Maybe the draft will pull me back in. 

Happy upcoming Birtday, by the way. I think we share one within a day or two, IIRC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Has anyone here watched the documentary about CREEM Magazine that came out recently? As far as I can tell, you can only access it by the link I provided and it's $10.

Anyway, I watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.I honestly don't know how that magazine ever got off the ground - much less become as influential as it did.

I’ve heard good things about this, but haven’t watched yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Oh man, that's too bad. Eephus said he was out, too. I would try, though I have no means or ideas with which to do it or how to rally people. It's okay. It was fun while it lasted. I think more important is that we get you to stick around. Suspensions a part of that? 

I don't think it's just the suspensions, for whatever reason the recent drafts haven't grabbed me, and I'm really here for the music discussion. 

I'm not watching a ton of NHL with the Leafs out, baseball forum is quiet, political forum is awful. I probably should have jumped into the movie draft. 

I'm also hopelessly hooked on 3D Euchre lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll start a post for the NFL/music draft tomorrow when I work at home and see if anyone wants to head up the drafting part of it. 

I think probably we'll go back to the 100 mile radius shtick this year, if it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right foot
Followed by a left foot
We'll guide you home before your curfew
And into your bed

Standing on our tip-toes
Peering through open windows
I swear I heard my name

Sit tight with the lights off
Waiting for my brain to start
Trying to work things out
It's thunder and it's lighting
And it's all things too frightening
I could barely see outside

Your body was black and blue
It struck twice there's nothing new

Your body was black and blue
It struck twice there's nothing new

Your body was black and blue YOUR BODY WAS BLACK

And it's thunder
And it's lightning
Coming home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since this all over but the shouting, I copied and pasted 2010 and 2012 into the list. MGMT's "Electric Feel" sampled by Nipsey Hussle's "Call From The Bank."

eta* And added Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" from 1981 and Rihanna's "Don't Stop The Music" from 2007.

eta2* Also added Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" from 1998 and the Fat Albert Theme Song from 1972.

Enjoy, you strange bedfellows. 

 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.