What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Making snake draft more fair? (1 Viewer)

Here's Johnny

Footballguy
Obviously, this is if there is football, but my lame league wants to revert from an auction to a snake draft.  We have gone back and forth and last year the CBS site crashed during our auction and we switched to a snake at the last second.  I drew the 12th spot and was unprepared for a snake.  The last snake before that, I drew the number one pick and drafted David (he didn't make it through the first game) Johnson.  So if we do a snake, I want it to be fair.  Have any of you heard of bidding for snake position?  I want to use either real dollars, or faab money for this.  If nobody bids, then the draft spot remains in the pool.  At the end of the first round of bidding, let's say picks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 were purchased.  Anyone who did not buy a position could then bid on the remaining spots, anyone who does not want to bid on the remaining positions ,then the remaining spots would be drawn out of a hat.  

I know, it's a bit crazy, and I have to sell this to a bunch of guys who want to drink and get the draft over asap which makes this more difficult.  I know about third round reversal, but I would like to hear if anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

We pull numbers and whoever has the "1" gets first choice of draft slot.  "2" gets the next and so on down the line.  That way if you hate drafting first then you get a choice.  You may like being at the end or in the middle and this gives you the best ability to change up if you can.  Every snake draft I do is like this and everyone likes it. 

ETA:  It goes really quick and in some leagues in almost goes chalk.  In other's it gets bounced around quite a bit.  It mainly depends on the type of owners you have.  Plus if they just want to get going it is quick to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although what your asking is not really about fairness.  You aren't changing the draft from being a snake, just how you choose the draft slot.  Snake drafts are about as fair as you can get in a set draft position type of draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a league that kicked around changes to our snake draft every year. We think the snake is a fair draft. The only tweak we made was instead of having the last place team draft first the following year that owner was allowed to choose his position first,second worst record went next and so on. Works well for us.

Users who are viewing this thread