What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just got COVID tested (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
Wow, there HAS to be a better way to test for this.  Now I know how the people feel who I gave the test to myself.  It's basically shoving a Qtip into your brain through your nose.

Chances are pretty good I am negative, but as a nurse we pretty much have to get tested when we have any sort of cold.  

But anyway, it's the freaking year 2020.  You telling me we cant get all we need to know from a blood test????

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, man. Hope you're free and clear.

Isn't a blood test how they'd find out if you had anitbodies, or am I mistaken? They wanted me to do that next time I had blood work done. 

Wow, there HAS to be a better way to test for this.  Now I know how the people feel who I gave the test to myself.  It's basically shoving a Qtip into your brain through your nose.

Chances are pretty good I am negative, but as a nurse we pretty much have to get tested when we have any sort of cold.  

But anyway, it's the freaking year 2020.  You telling me we cant get all we need to know from a blood test????
I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

It’s quite frankly amazing and depressing how inept we’ve been with all this.  
It really is. My wife and I were both exposed and needed to get tested. We decided to go to different locations because we heard the wait times were hit and miss. She got her results in three days (negative) thankfully, but it’s pretty much a train wreck all around. 

I thought the test was just a swab to the throat now?
I did the drive thru test where you administer it yourself. Mine was a pointed swab. Up each nostril about four inches, rotate twice, and leave it in for 20 seconds. Remove, place in vial, and  drop in a collection box. 

I did the drive thru test where you administer it yourself. Mine was a pointed swab. Up each nostril about four inches, rotate twice, and leave it in for 20 seconds. Remove, place in vial, and  drop in a collection box. 
If you administer it yourself there is no way you would be going up the nose as far as you are supposed to go.  Almost zero chance.   

Also 20 seconds is excessive

Isn't a blood test how they'd find out if you had anitbodies, or am I mistaken? They wanted me to do that next time I had blood work done. 
If I have the virus, there must be some in my blood.  FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!

I am supposed to get results in 24-48 hours via my manager.  She will get the results then tell me.

My wife gave blood a few days ago and they test for the antibodies.  No results yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if she has them... along with my entire family.  Just a hunch.   :coffee:

If you administer it yourself there is no way you would be going up the nose as far as you are supposed to go.  Almost zero chance.   

Also 20 seconds is excessive
The swab has an indicator on it where it stops at your nostril. Let’s you know you’re up there far enough. I was able to do it in both nostrils without much issue. It was uncomfortable but not painful. Felt like I had to sneeze the whole time. I would agree that 20 seconds seems excessive but those were the directions the nurse at the window gave me. 

The swab has an indicator on it where it stops at your nostril. Let’s you know you’re up there far enough. I was able to do it in both nostrils without much issue. It was uncomfortable but not painful. Felt like I had to sneeze the whole time. I would agree that 20 seconds seems excessive but those were the directions the nurse at the window gave me. 
The indicator is a guide, not a perfect measurement.  Everyone is different.  It's not a one size fits all.

If your eyes don't tear up or you aren't squirming around, you didn't go far enough

The indicator is a guide, not a perfect measurement.  Everyone is different.  It's not a one size fits all.

If your eyes don't tear up or you aren't squirming around, you didn't go far enough
I teared up like a little girl with a skinned knee. Had to sit in the parking lot for a few minutes and get my vision straight. 

Go back where you got the test and ask.
It was at a CVS. They said they send the tests out to a private lab. Not sure what going back there would accomplish. 

Yes there is. But that isn’t the test for acute infection.

If you don’t mind clarifying, why does somebody (employer, doctor?) want you tested for antibodies?

I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 
9 days, lol. Why even bother doing it at that point. We are such a backwards country when it comes to public health. 

Last edited by a moderator:
9 days, lol. Why even bother doing it at that point. We are such a backwards country when it comes to public health. 
It’s been almost three weeks since I was exposed and I still don’t know if I have it. How are we ever going to beat this thing? It’s really sad. 

I thought blood donated by those with antibodies was a huge boon to treating people. So, it would behoove us to know who had them, right?
Not clear if convalescent plasma is a huge treatment boon. Initial studies are underwhelming.

And given the problems with false positive serologic tests, plus the limited availability, I don't think the potential benefit outweighs the risks of falsely labeling someone as recovered from COIVD-19.

Was just tested today and had results within an hour. I thought I was dehydrated and possibly covid , turns out it was a kidney infection. The rapid test wasn’t that bad , I was expecting a deeper swab , just a little uncomfortable 

Yes there is. But that isn’t the test for acute infection.

If you don’t mind clarifying, why does somebody (employer, doctor?) want you tested for antibodies?
Doctor did. I don't know why. They also wanted me to get a pneumonia shot/vaccine because they said pneumonia can be a complication if I were to get COVID.

So it ended up taking about 60 hours to get my result.  My manager emailed me.  Negative.

Weird thing though, the paperwork told me negative results would be available in 24-48 hours but a positive test could take up to 3 days.  Ummmmmmm, makes no sense.  If you can tell me I am negative in 24 hours, you cant tell me I am positive in 24 hours?  Isn't the result the result?

So a lady I work with had to get tested.  They made her go to some drive through where she had to self administer the test.  There is just no consistency in any of this.

Anyway, she was positive.  Her husband who is head of security where I work is positive.  Some other security guys are positive.

Ugh.  Work is gonna suck for quite some time.

Daughter had rapid test done at a drive thru testing site at a medical facility. Results in 30 minutes or less. But she got called inside and waited over an hour so the doc could tell her she was positive. Life continues to suck.

I am now tested every two weeks for work.  Had the second one last night.  Its not as bad as some make it out to be, but it isn't something to look forward to, either.

I got tested today and the first guy at registration said results in 4-7 days.  The guy at the next tent said 3-4 days, and the guy at the last tent who actually administered the swab said 2 days.   :loco:

I got tested today and the first guy at registration said results in 4-7 days.  The guy at the next tent said 3-4 days, and the guy at the last tent who actually administered the swab said 2 days.   :loco:
This sounds about right. When I made my appointment online, they said 2-4 days. After the test, they said 5-8 days. Got my results in 12 days. 

This sounds about right. When I made my appointment online, they said 2-4 days. After the test, they said 5-8 days. Got my results in 12 days. 
It was actually really well organized and quick apart from that. 

When I registered they said they had to close down the testing site early yesterday.  Didn't say why but I suspect they are overloaded with swabs to test.  Maybe no place to store them until they get through the backlog. When I drove off there were hundreds of cars waiting.  

They also said that a negative result would be put online for me to check and a positive would be reported to me via phone call.  Now if I see that phone number pop up on my phone I may just flush it down the toilet and pretend I don't have it.  

Weird thing though, the paperwork told me negative results would be available in 24-48 hours but a positive test could take up to 3 days.  Ummmmmmm, makes no sense.  If you can tell me I am negative in 24 hours, you cant tell me I am positive in 24 hours?  Isn't the result the result?
Double verify positives or there may be a second lab stage if something shows as potential positive? I think that would make sense.  :shrug:

Double verify positives or there may be a second lab stage if something shows as potential positive? I think that would make sense.  :shrug:
Then wouldn't it make much more sense to notify me of a positive and that they are going to double verify or whatever and get back to me in a day or two?????

Nah, just go spread it around for another couple days

Users who are viewing this thread