Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ghostguy123

Just got COVID tested

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Wow, there HAS to be a better way to test for this.  Now I know how the people feel who I gave the test to myself.  It's basically shoving a Qtip into your brain through your nose.

Chances are pretty good I am negative, but as a nurse we pretty much have to get tested when we have any sort of cold.  

But anyway, it's the freaking year 2020.  You telling me we cant get all we need to know from a blood test????

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, man. Hope you're free and clear.

Isn't a blood test how they'd find out if you had anitbodies, or am I mistaken? They wanted me to do that next time I had blood work done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Wow, there HAS to be a better way to test for this.  Now I know how the people feel who I gave the test to myself.  It's basically shoving a Qtip into your brain through your nose.

Chances are pretty good I am negative, but as a nurse we pretty much have to get tested when we have any sort of cold.  

But anyway, it's the freaking year 2020.  You telling me we cant get all we need to know from a blood test????

I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 

It’s quite frankly amazing and depressing how inept we’ve been with all this.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Wow, there HAS to be a better way to test for this.  Now I know how the people feel who I gave the test to myself.  It's basically shoving a Qtip into your brain through your nose.

Chances are pretty good I am negative, but as a nurse we pretty much have to get tested when we have any sort of cold.  

But anyway, it's the freaking year 2020.  You telling me we cant get all we need to know from a blood test????

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

It’s quite frankly amazing and depressing how inept we’ve been with all this.  

It really is. My wife and I were both exposed and needed to get tested. We decided to go to different locations because we heard the wait times were hit and miss. She got her results in three days (negative) thankfully, but it’s pretty much a train wreck all around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

P.O.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

teh juices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the test was just a swab to the throat now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

I thought the test was just a swab to the throat now?

I did the drive thru test where you administer it yourself. Mine was a pointed swab. Up each nostril about four inches, rotate twice, and leave it in for 20 seconds. Remove, place in vial, and  drop in a collection box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Man In The Box said:

I did the drive thru test where you administer it yourself. Mine was a pointed swab. Up each nostril about four inches, rotate twice, and leave it in for 20 seconds. Remove, place in vial, and  drop in a collection box. 

If you administer it yourself there is no way you would be going up the nose as far as you are supposed to go.  Almost zero chance.   

Also 20 seconds is excessive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

Have you has the test done yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rockaction said:

Good luck, man. Hope you're free and clear.

Isn't a blood test how they'd find out if you had anitbodies, or am I mistaken? They wanted me to do that next time I had blood work done. 

If I have the virus, there must be some in my blood.  FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!

I am supposed to get results in 24-48 hours via my manager.  She will get the results then tell me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Man In The Box said:

I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 

Doesn't sound right.  You try calling?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Scoresman said:

I thought the test was just a swab to the throat now?

No.

In fact the nasal swab isn't good enough.  There are a lot of false negatives.  

We literally do not have an efficient reliable test yet.  

Edited by ghostguy123
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife gave blood a few days ago and they test for the antibodies.  No results yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if she has them... along with my entire family.  Just a hunch.  :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

If you administer it yourself there is no way you would be going up the nose as far as you are supposed to go.  Almost zero chance.   

Also 20 seconds is excessive

The swab has an indicator on it where it stops at your nostril. Let’s you know you’re up there far enough. I was able to do it in both nostrils without much issue. It was uncomfortable but not painful. Felt like I had to sneeze the whole time. I would agree that 20 seconds seems excessive but those were the directions the nurse at the window gave me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Doesn't sound right.  You try calling?  

No number to call. I sent an email, got an automated response that said it may take three business days to get a response to the email. It’s a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

The swab has an indicator on it where it stops at your nostril. Let’s you know you’re up there far enough. I was able to do it in both nostrils without much issue. It was uncomfortable but not painful. Felt like I had to sneeze the whole time. I would agree that 20 seconds seems excessive but those were the directions the nurse at the window gave me. 

The indicator is a guide, not a perfect measurement.  Everyone is different.  It's not a one size fits all.

If your eyes don't tear up or you aren't squirming around, you didn't go far enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

No number to call. I sent an email, got an automated response that said it may take three business days to get a response to the email. It’s a joke. 

Go back where you got the test and ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

The indicator is a guide, not a perfect measurement.  Everyone is different.  It's not a one size fits all.

If your eyes don't tear up or you aren't squirming around, you didn't go far enough

I teared up like a little girl with a skinned knee. Had to sit in the parking lot for a few minutes and get my vision straight. 

6 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Go back where you got the test and ask.

It was at a CVS. They said they send the tests out to a private lab. Not sure what going back there would accomplish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

So you would prefer them to stab you and steal some of your life juices? No thanks. who knows what they are doing with all that blood they take. I think a lot of it gets sold to celebrities. 

Depends which life juices you are talking about and which celebrity you are talking about. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rockaction said:

Good luck, man. Hope you're free and clear.

Isn't a blood test how they'd find out if you had anitbodies, or am I mistaken? They wanted me to do that next time I had blood work done. 

Yes there is. But that isn’t the test for acute infection.

If you don’t mind clarifying, why does somebody (employer, doctor?) want you tested for antibodies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scoresman said:

I thought the test was just a swab to the throat now?

Throat swab less sensitive than nasal. Sputum is better than both, buts it’s difficult to get a good specimen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Man In The Box said:

I’ve been waiting 9 days for my results. So ironically, the Q-tip was the least painful part. 

9 days, lol. Why even bother doing it at that point. We are such a backwards country when it comes to public health. 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

No.

In fact the nasal swab isn't good enough.  There are a lot of false negatives.  

We literally do not have an efficient reliable test yet.  

The newer swab tests are good, 95%+ vs. ~70 sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Have you has the test done yet?

Heck no, I don’t want COVID.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Capella said:

9 days, lol. Why even bother doing it at that point. We are such a backwards country when it comes to public health. 

It’s been almost three weeks since I was exposed and I still don’t know if I have it. How are we ever going to beat this thing? It’s really sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

If you don’t mind clarifying, why does somebody (employer, doctor?) want you tested for antibodies?

I thought blood donated by those with antibodies was a huge boon to treating people. So, it would behoove us to know who had them, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

I thought blood donated by those with antibodies was a huge boon to treating people. So, it would behoove us to know who had them, right?

Not clear if convalescent plasma is a huge treatment boon. Initial studies are underwhelming.

And given the problems with false positive serologic tests, plus the limited availability, I don't think the potential benefit outweighs the risks of falsely labeling someone as recovered from COIVD-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Was just tested today and had results within an hour. I thought I was dehydrated and possibly covid , turns out it was a kidney infection. The rapid test wasn’t that bad , I was expecting a deeper swab , just a little uncomfortable 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

9 days, lol. Why even bother doing it at that point. We are such a backwards country when it comes to public health. 

I was told 9 days when I got mine on Wednesday. By then I’ll either be over it or in the hospital. It’s a joke. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

 

Was just tested today and had results within an hour. I thought I was dehydrated and possibly covid , turns out it was a kidney infection. The rapid test wasn’t that bad , I was expecting a deeper swab , just a little uncomfortable 

Glad to hear you don’t have it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

I was told 9 days when I got mine on Wednesday. By then I’ll either be over it or in the hospital. It’s a joke. 

Despite what we are being told, we aren’t testing enough people.  And FTR, I don’t care what other countries are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Yes there is. But that isn’t the test for acute infection.

If you don’t mind clarifying, why does somebody (employer, doctor?) want you tested for antibodies?

Doctor did. I don't know why. They also wanted me to get a pneumonia shot/vaccine because they said pneumonia can be a complication if I were to get COVID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it ended up taking about 60 hours to get my result.  My manager emailed me.  Negative.

Weird thing though, the paperwork told me negative results would be available in 24-48 hours but a positive test could take up to 3 days.  Ummmmmmm, makes no sense.  If you can tell me I am negative in 24 hours, you cant tell me I am positive in 24 hours?  Isn't the result the result?

So a lady I work with had to get tested.  They made her go to some drive through where she had to self administer the test.  There is just no consistency in any of this.

Anyway, she was positive.  Her husband who is head of security where I work is positive.  Some other security guys are positive.

Ugh.  Work is gonna suck for quite some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter had rapid test done at a drive thru testing site at a medical facility. Results in 30 minutes or less. But she got called inside and waited over an hour so the doc could tell her she was positive. Life continues to suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now tested every two weeks for work.  Had the second one last night.  Its not as bad as some make it out to be, but it isn't something to look forward to, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got tested today and the first guy at registration said results in 4-7 days.  The guy at the next tent said 3-4 days, and the guy at the last tent who actually administered the swab said 2 days.  :loco:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

I got tested today and the first guy at registration said results in 4-7 days.  The guy at the next tent said 3-4 days, and the guy at the last tent who actually administered the swab said 2 days.  :loco:

This sounds about right. When I made my appointment online, they said 2-4 days. After the test, they said 5-8 days. Got my results in 12 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man In The Box said:

This sounds about right. When I made my appointment online, they said 2-4 days. After the test, they said 5-8 days. Got my results in 12 days. 

It was actually really well organized and quick apart from that. 

When I registered they said they had to close down the testing site early yesterday.  Didn't say why but I suspect they are overloaded with swabs to test.  Maybe no place to store them until they get through the backlog. When I drove off there were hundreds of cars waiting.  

They also said that a negative result would be put online for me to check and a positive would be reported to me via phone call.  Now if I see that phone number pop up on my phone I may just flush it down the toilet and pretend I don't have it.  

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Weird thing though, the paperwork told me negative results would be available in 24-48 hours but a positive test could take up to 3 days.  Ummmmmmm, makes no sense.  If you can tell me I am negative in 24 hours, you cant tell me I am positive in 24 hours?  Isn't the result the result?

Double verify positives or there may be a second lab stage if something shows as potential positive? I think that would make sense.  :shrug:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

Double verify positives or there may be a second lab stage if something shows as potential positive? I think that would make sense.  :shrug:

 

Then wouldn't it make much more sense to notify me of a positive and that they are going to double verify or whatever and get back to me in a day or two?????

Nah, just go spread it around for another couple days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.