What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
So...have three kids. One starts high school this fall, one starts middle school, and one is in 5th grade.

Our district is still waiting on the state of Kansas for what they are going to recommend. So far we have been given three potential options:

1. In school full-time

2. Virtual full-time

3. Hybrid system, where half go Monday and Wednesday, half go Tuesday and Thursday, with virtual learning for the days you aren't actually at the school.

Masks will be required for any in-school work. So far these are possibilities - not sure if we are going to have a choice of one of these three or what. They have sent out a survey to get a gauge on what parents are thinking. So we really have no idea what is going to happen. School starts August 17th.

As of now, if given a choice, my wife and I would probable choose the hybrid option, but we do have the capability to do full virtual.

What is everybody seeing out there in your areas, and how are you all approaching this? 

And if this topic is up somewhere already, I apologize. I know we have a college one, but can't remember seeing one for younger kids.

Personally would like either full or hybrid if they can make it work.  Both ex-wife and I don't have health issues so not concerned about them bringing it home beyond just the overarching concern about catching the virus which isn't really a big concern for me.    Virtual learning while it being the best they can do is a fraction of the benefit of in person learning.   Even with both parents keeping on top of both kids, you could tell they were checked out a lot of the time.   Not really sweating it though.  I'll support whatever the state decides to go with.  I'm really pleased with how we've handled this for the most part in NJ.   

All of the schools around here (SW MO) did surveys as well, and our district just finished theirs.  My wife is an elementary teacher and I have one going into 5th grade and one going into 8th.

It is going to be chaotic and I honestly expect it to be dialed back to more isolation/stay-at-home after the first attempted start.  I suspect some schools will go to full virtual again and no one will make in person attendance mandatory for fear of lawsuits.

The kids are honestly going to suffer the most during this as their learning will be set back in some tangible ways if things persist for another whole school year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a freshman and senior this year coming up. Private school. We are doing registration currently. The state put out guidelines a couple of weeks ago. Our officials are saying they have plans ready for all phases (if things get relaxed or if things get locked down harder). As of right now, they are planning on being on campus. But I have a feeling, based on our state's numbers, that we will start the year off with online instruction (which our school can do, we did pretty well with it this spring, IMO). I think they are trying to wait until closer to time in hopes that our numbers will turn around a bit. Our region in particular is doing pretty well, number-wise, so they may elect to move forward with in-person classes. They are planning for as much distancing as possible, cutting out high-traffic areas/bottlenecks, doing more sanitizing/hand washing, and planning for students to wear masks. 

As for sports, No high school football (can't even practice) until the state hits Phase 4 (we are currently Phase 2). The way our numbers are creeping back up, I am guessing there won't be high school football this year at all. Per our state athletics board, the only sports that can happen in Phase 3 are Cross Country, swimming and volleyball ( :confused:  ).  I just don't see us coming out of Phase 2 for at least another couple of weeks, if then.

I don't have anything to input other than I think this is such a tough call. I don't envy the governors' decisions. 

Its so important to have school because a) not everyone can afford to either work at home or have daycare and b) the structure and (sometimes) meals kids get at school is so important. 

But balancing that with the health issues - ugh. Just bad choices all around.

NYC, 4th and 8th grades in the fall.

They're talking about following CDC guidelines, with 65sf/student. That equates to about 8-9 students per classroom.

Youngest's elementary principal (of about 1000 kids) is fantastic communicating...he's trying to make it work with either 100% remote (if requested by parent) or some form of time-shared in-class attendance 2ish days per week in shifts of 3 "cohorts". 3rd grade remote sucked though (bad coincidence of teacher going on maternity leave exactly when this started and new teacher not being up to a bizarre and daunting task of remote teaching) so we're hoping for as much in class learning as possible if safe.

8th graders middle school is tiny (12 in his grade) and the teachers went above and beyond providing real-time teaching. But his principal is on vacation and hasn't said a word about the fall. Will probably be similar but with more or all days in class depending on how many kids opt for 100% remote.

We're most concerned about 4th graders grades, tests, attendance etc as those had been the criteria for middle school admission until this year. Our 8th grader had worked his ### off this year as 7th grade is what counts for high school- but a political sneak attack of a minority or boardmembers against screened admissions to the better schools may completely derail that and make them completely lottery based.

Daughter will be a junior in high school.  They gave us the survey with the full time in person/full time online/hybrid options.   Based on survey results they announced they will be returning to in-person full time in the fall, but will be providing an option for full time online if the student does not want to attend in person.

My kid has already said if she has a choice, she wants to go back to school full time.

My kid is only in pre-k but I much prefer some sort of week on/week off (or two on/two off) than some kind of every other day system. 

Daughter will be a junior in high school.  They gave us the survey with the full time in person/full time online/hybrid options.   Based on survey results they announced they will be returning to in-person full time in the fall, but will be providing an option for full time online if the student does not want to attend in person.

My kid has already said if she has a choice, she wants to go back to school full time.
12th, 9th and 7th grader here - essentially the same and all mine want to go back.

My son (9th grader) is going to be pretty bummed when they don’t have basketball, which is my assumption.

LAUSD (Los Angeles) will not have live classes this fall. Or San Diego. 
Figure will soon be the same here in Phoenix soon.

You can't throw these kids in classrooms. There's already a big story here today of a summer school teacher dying from COVID (two other teachers positive as well).  They were in a shared classroom, teaching students.... that were remote. There's no chance a teacher is keeping masks on kids for hours (or minutes for that matter). 

I saw an interesting suggestion somewhere recently.  Basically the idea was that all learning would be virtual, but if you need to send your kids to school you can, they'll be placed in a classroom and supervised while they do their virtual learning from there.  The actual teachers would teach remotely from their homes, while the school would be staffed with aides, etc. who maintain physical distancing and are just there to support and supervise the students.  That way no one has to go to the school if they don't feel safe doing so but it's still an option for families who need their kids to go to school so they can go back to work.  

I'm very fortunate that I can work from home indefinitely, and my wife and I are leaning towards keeping our kids (ages 6 and 9) home in the fall.  They did relatively well with at-home learning the last few months of the school year and they've maintained social activity through online video chats and small, safe-as-possible get togethers with friends. My wife is an elementary school teacher and she's nervous about going back to work in the fall, secretly hoping that they go entirely virtual to start the year but that seems unlikely.  It's really a tough decision for everyone involved. 

I don't have anything to input other than I think this is such a tough call. I don't envy the governors' decisions. 
I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I think the best solution is to lock #### down extra tight for the next month (like, really ####ing tight) and then have a conversation about the best way to open schools. Otherwise, we're gonna wreck the economy.

No decision yet. Daughter will be sophomore.

She loved online learning.... :unsure:

Was bummed about softball though

Los Angeles and San Diego Counties announcing today that they will be online only in the fall.

Edit:  Already posted, apologies. 

Dekalb County - where a small part of Atlanta sits will start school with online only.  I’m assuming Fulton (where the remainder of the city is) will follow suite.  I’m hoping this may put pressure on my county but doubt it.  

I teach in a high school with a junior and senior to be.  We have tentative plans on the table for online, full return, and hybrid options.  The school board president, however, recently made comments in the local news paper that we would not do hybrid.  He also said that 85% of survey respondents would send their kids to school if we do a full return.  So, I think my district is starting to lean towards a full return.  The superintendent put out an email to staff indicating details and protocols for return will be finalized this week and that we will be informed of the specifics by the end of this week with the information being distributed to the parents/community next Monday.  So we are still up in the air, but I get a sense that we are going to try to return to the building...just don't know the details.

Mrs. Galelei is a curriculum director in a different district.  They are having young students go to school 5 days per week.  They have worked out some creative staffing and room usage in order to have classes of 15 kids or less.  They are a much smaller district than the one I am in.   Kids would remain together in the same classroom all day, everyday.  Specials teacher would rotate in, lunch in the room etc...  Older kids will be doing a hybrid schedule in her district.

From Cuomo today... Via the Post

July 13, 2020 | 2:58pm

New York schools will only reopen in September if coronavirus levels remain low and stable, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday.

While Mayor Bill de Blasio declared last week that the nation’s largest school system would come back to life in September, Cuomo warned that a spike in infections would halt that effort.

“If you have the virus under control, reopen,” he said. “If you don’t have the virus under control, then you can’t reopen.”

If the infection rate in a given region is under 5 percent for 14 days, schools in that area can unlock the doors, Cuomo said.

But if it spikes to over 9 percent over seven days, schools will be shuttered.

State officials will examine data in the first week of August to make an initial determination.

“We’re not going to use our children as a litmus test and we’re not going to put our children in a place where their health is in danger,” Cuomo said.

As of Monday, schools in all state regions would qualify for a September kickoff.

State education officials also issued reopening guidelines Monday that mirrored the scenario de Blasio presented last week.

Schools would be compelled to observe social distancing, a practice that would require staggered classes and remote instruction multiple days a week.

That prospect has caused deep unease among parents who will likely be required to find and finance daycare during the school year.

In addition, students in the city and across the state will be subject to regular temperature checks and other coronavirus-related precautions.

The state Board of Regents said Monday that all students and teachers would be required to wear masks.

Cuomo said more detailed reopening guidance would be available Wednesday and that districts would have to submit their individual proposals by the end of the month.

We have the same 3 options and have selected in school attendance. The district allows parents to switch after each quarter, we could go part time but they need some sort of in person experience.

1. Senior, he's over school and would do okay without in class attendence. He's looking at trade school or community college. He'll do enough to pass but isn't really into school. His friends are all online with him most days. 

2. Sophomore, when I asked him what he wanted to do he didn't hesitate at all, he's ready to go back. He's ultra motivated, involved, 4.667 weighted gpa, ranks 21/569 in his class.  

3. 7th grader, all A's, not all that motivated but works enough to get good grades. A bit of an introvert, basically a small version of me. He wants to go back but would be content either way. 

4. 4th grader, he REALLY needs to go back. Extrovert and this has been hardest on him. 

5. Kindergarten, we're sending to private kindergarten. She missed so much school already between her hip surgery, bone marrow transplant and being from China (we brought her home when she was 3), she's only had basically a year of school in the US and is very extroverted. My wife will probably work part time at her school this year. 

It's definitely not an easy decision. 2nd toughest we've had to make as parents (actually pushing for the bone marrow transplant was the hardest but I'm not getting into that here - partly to not clutter the thread, partly because I don't want to discuss it. But the thing is, that was definitely the right choice, I hope this is too). 

I teach in a high school with a junior and senior to be.  We have tentative plans on the table for online, full return, and hybrid options.  The school board president, however, recently made comments in the local news paper that we would not do hybrid.  He also said that 85% of survey respondents would send their kids to school if we do a full return.  So, I think my district is starting to lean towards a full return.  The superintendent put out an email to staff indicating details and protocols for return will be finalized this week and that we will be informed of the specifics by the end of this week with the information being distributed to the parents/community next Monday.  So we are still up in the air, but I get a sense that we are going to try to return to the building...just don't know the details.

Mrs. Galelei is a curriculum director in a different district.  They are having young students go to school 5 days per week.  They have worked out some creative staffing and room usage in order to have classes of 15 kids or less.  They are a much smaller district than the one I am in.   Kids would remain together in the same classroom all day, everyday.  Specials teacher would rotate in, lunch in the room etc...  Older kids will be doing a hybrid schedule in her district.
From what I've gleaned from some circles I have varying degrees of connectivity there will be some full returns in NE Ohio, especially with younger kids. 

I think they hybrid one is the worst, just seems like a clusterbleep 

either open full time or go virtual, none of this 50/50 stuff.  Especially trying to coordinate siblings in different school levels...I’m sure it can be done but I don’t have any faith for it not to get messed up

my wife showed me some Facebook article that I couldn’t finish but one good point was why even bother with any in school option since kids will be forced to distance, eat lunch in class, no recess, no assemblies, dances, sports, etc 

I teach high school.  My district is giving parents a choice, online or hybrid (2 days/week in school).  Of those who bothered to answer the survey, parents were 50% online, 50% hybrid.  Students online will have to attend video lessons with attendance taken.  Some teachers will be exclusively teaching online.  Hybrid students and teachers will wear masks and sit 6 feet apart (yeah right).  Teachers will somehow magically synchronously teach in-class students and the hybrid at-home students, all while wearing a mask.  I'll believe when I actually accomplish it.

My oldest is already doing online school as they started last year at ASU Prep Digital. My 6th grader will be doing the online program option in our district most likely the entire school year though we can change each quarter. This is not going away in just a few weeks. AZ is a mess and I can't see it getting anything but worse as the winter rolls in and flu season starts. I think people are kidding themselves if they think schools that are attempting to open won't be shut back down again in the coming weeks.

My oldest is already doing online school as they started last year at ASU Prep Digital. My 6th grader will be doing the online program option in our district most likely the entire school year though we can change each quarter. This is not going away in just a few weeks. AZ is a mess and I can't see it getting anything but worse as the winter rolls in and flu season starts. I think people are kidding themselves if they think schools that are attempting to open won't be shut back down again in the coming weeks.
I think it will depend on where you are and how good the safety measures are.  I don’t see any reason some of these states that haven’t seen big number and seem to have a handle on things can’t go ahead with in person.  I just hope all school systems are prepared to stop if needed and don’t become stubborn about remaining in person. 

I think it will depend on where you are and how good the safety measures are.  I don’t see any reason some of these states that haven’t seen big number and seem to have a handle on things can’t go ahead with in person.  I just hope all school systems are prepared to stop if needed and don’t become stubborn about remaining in person. 
That's why I like what Cuomo said yesterday;   <5% infection rate for region, you're good to go.  Once you're started, >9%, full stop.   No idea where they got these numbers from, but it takes the human element out of it.  That 9% cutoff is gonna be the new snow day or in this case more like snow month.   

Dekalb County - where a small part of Atlanta sits will start school with online only.  I’m assuming Fulton (where the remainder of the city is) will follow suite.  I’m hoping this may put pressure on my county but doubt it.  
What are Cobb and Gwinnett doing?  I would assume that has a bigger impact on what Cherokee might do.

What are Cobb and Gwinnett doing?  I would assume that has a bigger impact on what Cherokee might do.
Cherokee already decided unless they back track.  We get the option of in person or remote.  Have to decide which we will do for the rest of the year by this Friday.

As to your question - I have not heard what Cobb and Gwinnett are doing but it’s possible I just haven’t seen it - I stopped paying close attention once we announced.

I do thing having the option is the best thing so I’m grateful for that.  What is frustrating is there’s not a lot of answers beyond that - regarding their processes.  The only thing I know for sure is they voted down mandatory masks. 

I like that plan from Cuomo.  I hope Murphy in NJ does something similar.   
We are such a weird mix of local rule and school district power here.

My kids won't be going into a school building this fall regardless of what they come up with. But we are blessed with the ability to do that.  I know others don't have that ability.

So...have three kids. One starts high school this fall, one starts middle school, and one is in 5th grade.

Our district is still waiting on the state of Kansas for what they are going to recommend. So far we have been given three potential options:

1. In school full-time
I am not sure how schools just dont bite the bullet and try option 1 at first and see how it goes.  Families are just not set up for virtual teaching.

I am not sure how schools just dont bite the bullet and try option 1 at first and see how it goes.  Families are just not set up for virtual teaching.
Because sue happy Sue will lose her #### if a kid gets Covid because the schools didn't protect her darling daughter.   School policies are so ridiculous because of these parents

Because sue happy Sue will lose her #### if a kid gets Covid because the schools didn't protect her darling daughter.   School policies are so ridiculous because of these parents
How much of that is parents, and how much is that teachers/staff saying - "Hey, maybe I don't want to teach in a petri dish this fall!"

Its so important to have school because a) not everyone can afford to either work at home or have daycare and b) the structure and (sometimes) meals kids get at school is so important. 

But balancing that with the health issues - ugh. Just bad choices all around.
Yep -- this is a no-win decision.  No matter what you choose, something very bad is going to happen and people are going to be vocally POed.

From what I've gleaned from some circles I have varying degrees of connectivity there will be some full returns in NE Ohio, especially with younger kids. 
Yes.  Several districts have plans for full return.  They way the numbers keep trending though, I wonder how long it will last.

i should add that my wife’s district, although they have set up a hybrid structure for older students, is offering a full online alternative for those who choose to commit to it.

Maybe give parents a virtual option.   Sign a waiver if you're sending them in.   

I think they hybrid one is the worst, just seems like a clusterbleep 

either open full time or go virtual, none of this 50/50 stuff.  Especially trying to coordinate siblings in different school levels...I’m sure it can be done but I don’t have any faith for it not to get messed up

my wife showed me some Facebook article that I couldn’t finish but one good point was why even bother with any in school option since kids will be forced to distance, eat lunch in class, no recess, no assemblies, dances, sports, etc 
From a teaching/lesson planning perspective, the hybrid models are the worst for teachers.  

The part that sucks in our district is there is really no way they can go full virtual without a large number of kids/parents being at a huge disadvantage. We have a lot of kids where both parents HAVE to work just to be able to pay bills.

We also have a bunch of kids who are on reduced or free lunch. Our district kept feeding those kids during the shutdown by providing pick-up meals for each kid, and that would certainly continue if they have to shut down again.

On top of that high speed internet is a challenge for some of these families, especially if they have several kids online at the same time. 

Just a disaster all the way around. 

Users who are viewing this thread