What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1979 The Next 100 Songs #1. The Wait - The Pretenders (1 Viewer)

Hank Williams cover that is considered one of the earliest 'rock and roll' songs when it came out in 1947 that feature the same twelve-bar blues arrangement with a melody starting with three repetitions of an ascending arpeggio of the tonic chord.

George's version is high-energy boggie-blues. Thorogood wouldn't break through to the mainstream till he opened the The Stones in 1981 but this got a lot of FM and college station play with this tune.

Released November 1978

I once worked with a guy who claimed to have burned a cigar into George Thorogood's couch.

He was a student at U Delaware in the '70s when George was king of the music scene there. One night after a gig, George invited a bunch of people, including my co-worker, back to his apartment for a party. Cigars were lit (and probably other things). The co-worker started eyeing a woman there, but she only had eyes for George, who soon whisked her off to his bedroom. In response, the co-worker, who still had his cigar lit, ground it into George's couch. 

It took four attempts, a demo, and four different studios before Forbert got it right and even then it took a few days to capture the right mood.

Forbert: "We got it right away. I mean, the first day was like, Right, this is the right band, and this is all happening. When all the musicians came into the room and listened to the playback, everybody said, That's it, that's the version we've been looking for. I think it was the third take that day."

I always liked this song, it definitely has something different about it probably because they used the first rough draft when the engineer had everything cranked and they played it like a live show.  

Forbert: (The engineer) had all the levels up like it was a live show. It had a lot of apparent volume and a certain magic about it. I still like hearing it."

Released October 1979

It took four attempts, a demo, and four different studios before Forbert got it right and even then it took a few days to capture the right mood.

Forbert: "We got it right away. I mean, the first day was like, Right, this is the right band, and this is all happening. When all the musicians came into the room and listened to the playback, everybody said, That's it, that's the version we've been looking for. I think it was the third take that day."

I always liked this song, it definitely has something different about it probably because they used the first rough draft when the engineer had everything cranked and they played it like a live show.  

Forbert: (The engineer) had all the levels up like it was a live show. It had a lot of apparent volume and a certain magic about it. I still like hearing it."

Released October 1979
This is a great tune with that happy piano. Did not expect the guy to look like the YouTube pic. 

Toto, a group made up of six very talented session musicians who had backed up artists like Boz Scaggs, Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand and Jackson Browne. Written by their keyboard man David Paich with lead vocals by Bobby Kimball.

David Parch (piano, backing vocals) came up with the title. "Hold the line" is what you tell someone on the phone if you want to put them on hold while you're taking another call. 

Paich: "When I was in high school, all of a sudden the phone started ringing off the hook, and I had a situation where I was at the dinner table and I had three girls all call at the same time, so all the lights were flashing. I was kind of juggling girlfriends, and that's how that came about."

Crossing the halfway point of the list with a good pop song from 79.

Released October 2, 1978
Still really enjoy this one.  
Have always loved Steve Lukather’s solo.

Bracie Smathers said:
Hank Williams cover that is considered one of the earliest 'rock and roll' songs when it came out in 1947 that feature the same twelve-bar blues arrangement with a melody starting with three repetitions of an ascending arpeggio of the tonic chord.

George's version is high-energy boggie-blues. Thorogood wouldn't break through to the mainstream till he opened the The Stones in 1981 but this got a lot of FM and college station play with this tune.

Released November 1978
I remember having a hard time finding this release and their self titled debut (both on Rounder Records iirc).  But when I put the albums on, I was glad I made the effort. I remember one or both having liner notes that explained the history of the group and reading them as the music played.

Last edited by a moderator:
Romeo's Tune was one of my favorite songs growing up and I got to see Forbert live in the 90s behind The American in Me.  Great show and a great song live too.

Chrissie Hynde.  "If you’re wearing something that says “Come and f*** me”, you’d better be good on your feet.’

When this song came out no one but Chrissie knew what it was about.  Author Michael Chabon. "On songs like 'Tattooed Love Boys', you're wondering, Who is Chrissie singing about when she says, 'I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was for?'  She was 21 stoned on ludes and got gang raped by Hells Angels. 

"It was so sinister (the biker clubhouse) it had ‘Jeffrey Dahmer written all over it’ — ...one of them ordered her to ‘get your ****in’ clothes off’.  She protested, they threatened to beat her so badly ‘you’ll make some plastic surgeon rich’.

Hynde didn't discuss this till she was 63.  You go back and re-listen to the song after hearing the story.  You begin to connect dots to how much of an effect it had on her, her relationships, her music.

The story is this song.  Its great all by itself but the emotional depths hit home.

Heartbreaking, powerful, raw emotion.

27 December 1979

"Stop snivellin', you're gonna make some plastic surgeon a rich man

My favorite Pretenders song.  Horrible, sad story. 

Holy hell. I never would have guessed that such bright music went with such a sad story.

Seriously. Never knew the backstory on Tattooed, and now that I do, kind of wish I didn’t. :(
Hynde was on Damocles path, one side fame and fortune the other side self destruction.  She got a ride home from one of her assailants and in some sort of bizarre Stockholm syndrome she actually 'went out' with the guy before he began farming her out to other bikers and she resisted so beat her to the point she saw stars.  She began doing heroin and meth and this is the unbelievable part.

It happened a second time where she got kidnapped from a guy who got her high on meth where she found herself locked-in for three days as the guy repeatedly raped her and when he finished with her he then robbed her before letting her go.  

In her memoir she wrote she was shocked now by her recklessness. ‘It was grim but it was my own damn fault: what kind of idiot jumps in a car with a stranger?’ she writes.

Hynde is fascinating.  She got her first kiss at age 14 from Jackie Wilson as she was hoisted up on stage from one of his body guards at a concert.  Instead of being thrilled she was mortified.  At age 16 she ended up backstage with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood but was to naive to understand what they wanted.  Fame of another sort found her as she attended Kent State when 'it' happened.  The BF of her friends was a of the four victims of the National Guard shootings. 

At some point you have to ask what are the odds?  Later she just happened to become friends with Joe Walsh and with someone who would wound up in Devo before they became famous.  When she moved to London she hung out with members of the Clash, the Damned, and both Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious proposed to her, all before any of them became famous.  Hynde burned with desire as one person she met became famous after another.  

Its an unbelievable/amazing/fantastical story and I haven''t even gotten to the Pretenders yet.  To be continued later in the list.

Paul wrote this in 1974 at a much slower tempo but was influenced by punk and new wave as one critic claimed 'Its an uplifting raker'. I like that, lol.  

Great tune, Krista are you in da hissie?  Yer boi is up.

Released 5 June 1979
I'm here and happy to see this.  I guess I'll do a slightly early reveal to say this one will score pretty well on my upcoming countdown.  Poor Denny Laine originally had vocals on this as it was meant to be a duet between him and Paul, but Paul later scrubbed Denny's vocal out and replaced it with his own.  I suspect that was a good choice, even though I enjoy some songs with Denny on lead vocal.

I'm here and happy to see this.  I guess I'll do a slightly early reveal to say this one will score pretty well on my upcoming countdown.  Poor Denny Laine originally had vocals on this as it was meant to be a duet between him and Paul, but Paul later scrubbed Denny's vocal out and replaced it with his own.  I suspect that was a good choice, even though I enjoy some songs with Denny on lead vocal.
Paul heard Denny’s vocal and said “you’d better, better go now.”

I’ll see myself out.

I confess that originally I had it much lower but it had been years since I heard it.

It kept climbing and climbing, over 40 spots on my list. 

I'm starting to come into the good stuff.🎸 :headbang:

And who starts a song with this line?

Say You Don't Love Him, My Salamander...

I confess that originally I had it much lower but it had been years since I heard it.

It kept climbing and climbing, over 40 spots on my list. 

I'm starting to come into the good stuff.🎸 :headbang:

And who starts a song with this line?

Say You Don't Love Him, My Salamander...
:lmao:   I actually said out loud the first time I heard this, "Did he just say 'my salamander'?!?!"  Paul McCartney, making up weird pet names for people since the 1970s.  "Sweet banana," anyone?

Speaking of up-tempo tunes.  Do you wanna feel good?  Well the hedonistic Mr. Fahrenheit is 'havin' such a good time, he don't wanna stop at allllll.'  

OK, this is a pretty funny review that I have to share.

Alexis Petridis of The Guardian wrote that the "astonishing" song "may be Queen’s greatest song of all." He felt it was "a direct product of [Mercury's] hedonism and promiscuity: an unrepentant, joyous, utterly irresistible paean to gay pleasure-seeking. You find yourself wondering if its title might not have been aimed at his censorious bandmates."

Released 5 January 1979

Speaking of up-tempo tunes.  Do you wanna feel good?  Well the hedonistic Mr. Fahrenheit is 'havin' such a good time, he don't wanna stop at allllll.'  

Alexis Petridis of The Guardian wrote that the "astonishing" song "may be Queen’s greatest song of all." He felt it was "a direct product of [Mercury's] hedonism and promiscuity: an unrepentant, joyous, utterly irresistible paean to gay pleasure-seeking. You find yourself wondering if its title might not have been aimed at his censorious bandmates."

Released 5 January 1979
Google Doodle

Released 5 January 1979
It was also determined to be, scientifically, the most uplifting song of all time:

https://loudwire.com/queen-dont-stop-me-now-worlds-most-uplifting-song/

Whatever you thought the title meant, you would 'likely' be wrong.  Here is the story.

Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones and vocalist Lou Gramm wrote this song after seeing New York Rangers goalie John Davidson get knocked out during the 1977 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Jones told us: "That's where the title came from. We were at a hockey game. I was an avid Rangers fan in those days, and Lou and I went to a game, and the goaltender for the Rangers got a concussion, and it was announced over the PA that he was taken off and was suffering from double vision. I'd never heard that term before, and we picked up on it. And then that led to the title for that song. I know it was received by a majority of the public as a drug song. I didn't mind that, you know. It wasn't the intention in the beginning, but that's how a lot of people interpreted it."

Davidson went on to become a popular broadcaster and hockey analyst. He and Jones have had a laugh over it several times since.

Released September 1978

Michael McDonald was working on this tune and had an appointment with Kenny Loggins and got their early so he sat with Kenny's sister and asked her which of the half-finished songs she liked and she picked this one.  Kenny had arrived and heard it outside and as he was heading inside he came up with the bridge.  Loggins finished the tune and he recorded it five months before the Doobies.  This is Kenny Loggins version of - What a Fool Believes which sounds like an awful Michael Franks sound ugh.  

I love the Doobies.

Here is the grammy award winning best song that powered the grammy award winning best album of the year, the title track.

Released January 1979

'Oh man The Doobie Brothers Broke Up .'

Michael McDonald was working on this tune and had an appointment with Kenny Loggins and got their early so he sat with Kenny's sister and asked her which of the half-finished songs she liked and she picked this one.  Kenny had arrived and heard it outside and as he was heading inside he came up with the bridge.  Loggins finished the tune and he recorded it five months before the Doobies.  This is Kenny Loggins version of - What a Fool Believes which sounds like an awful Michael Franks sound ugh.  

I love the Doobies.

Here is the grammy award winning best song that powered the grammy award winning best album of the year, the title track.

Released January 1979

'Oh man The Doobie Brothers Broke Up .'
Such a great tune (I've avoided these types of comments until now, but this one should definitely have been on Tim's original top 100). I like how McDonald would employ the stuff he'd learn while working with Steely Dan on the Doobie Brothers' and his own songs. I think that's probably why I prefer the McDonald Doobies over the non-McDonald Doobies.

With this one, those high notes he hits in the chorus are ridiculous. They're like almost out of the normal range of human hearing. Try singing those when this comes on in the car next time - make sure you're the only one in the vehicle at the time though, probably won't be a pleasant listening experience.

Such a great tune (I've avoided these types of comments until now, but this one should definitely have been on Tim's original top 100). I like how McDonald would employ the stuff he'd learn while working with Steely Dan on the Doobie Brothers' and his own songs. I think that's probably why I prefer the McDonald Doobies over the non-McDonald Doobies.

With this one, those high notes he hits in the chorus are ridiculous. They're like almost out of the normal range of human hearing. Try singing those when this comes on in the car next time - make sure you're the only one in the vehicle at the time though, probably won't be a pleasant listening experience.
I can't remember the exact late night show, but someone did a hilarious vocal spoof on this song.  As you said, "don't try this at home".

The punk scene was breaking out and it influenced the Stones.

Jagger: "I was banging out three chords incredibly loud on the electric guitar, which isn't always a wonderful idea but was great fun here. This is a Punk meets Chuck Berry number. The lyric carries no fantastically deep message, but I think it might have had something to do with Bianca."

Mick referencing 'Bianca' had to do with the line about a visit to the White House.  Bianca who was Jagger's wife at the time, met President Gerald Ford's son.

More Jagger:  "'Respectable' really started off as a song in my head about how respectable we as a band were supposed to have become, 'We're so respectable'. As I went along with the singing, I just made things up and fit things in. Now we're respected in society... I really meant [the band]. My wife's a very honest person, and the songs's not about her... It's very rock & roll. It's not like (Bob Dylan's) 'Sara'. 'Respectable' is very lighthearted when you hear it. That's why I don't like divorcing the lyrics from the music. 'Cause when you actually hear it sung, it's not what it is, it's the way we do it..."

Mick wanted a slower tempo but fortunately Keith kicked-it-up.

Released 15 September 1978

me too.  had all their albums up to the Michael McDonald point.  

McDonald is a powerhouse - and i liked their stuff after he joined ...but wow, what a COMPLETELY different band after that.  
I liked both incarnations. Like a lot of bands of that era, they went from rock to smooth as they went into the later part of the decade.

Benjamin Orr (Orzechowski) sang the lead on this one.  Ben met Ric Ocasek in Cleveland.  Ben from Lakewood, a Cleveland suburb and a city where one of my nephews owns a bar (shameless pimpage >>> The Winchester - they are open  :banned: ). 

Eventually the double-Os (Orr/Ocasek) would move on to Boston where the Cars were formed.

This mellow tune hits the right note and the lyrics are perfectly poetic.

Released September 25, 1979

One too many times I fell over you
Once in a shadow I finally grew
And once in a night I dreamed you were there
I cancelled my flight from going nowhere

Me, too. To be honest, their original sound was running out of gas and they needed a jump-start.
They may have gotten lucky that Tom Johnston (original primary singer/songwriter) got sick and had to take some time off. That led to them bringing in McDonald. 

I watched **** Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve 1974 into 1975 on YouTube and it was funny to see the Doobies perform without Johnston or McDonald. Patrick Simmons served as frontman and "Jesus Is Just Alright" was played without the part spotlighting Johnston's vocal. 

I watched **** Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve 1974 into 1975 on YouTube and it was funny to see the Doobies perform without Johnston or McDonald. Patrick Simmons served as frontman and "Jesus Is Just Alright" was played without the part spotlighting Johnston's vocal. 
I’m guessing no one would have cared if Rerun bootlegged that show.

They may have gotten lucky that Tom Johnston (original primary singer/songwriter) got sick and had to take some time off. That led to them bringing in McDonald. 

Rock critics in the 70s HATED the Doobies, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. They were diverse stylistically (even within single versions of the band), their records sounded great, and they were talented. Maybe because they didn't have 15 minute guitar solos?

Rock critics in the 70s HATED the Doobies, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. They were diverse stylistically (even within single versions of the band), their records sounded great, and they were talented. Maybe because they didn't have 15 minute guitar solos?
A lot of rock critics hated 15-minute guitar solos too. I think it was more of them being perceived as a laid-back California band. 

Users who are viewing this thread