What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you thought of moving out of the country? (1 Viewer)

If Trump is reelected, would you consider it more?

• Yes

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 32.6%
  • I wasn't considering it before

Votes: 40 27.8%

• Total voters
This moment in time is like a nasty fart in a car. The only proper response is to remove the dealer as soon as you can do so and then roll down the windows and floor it to clear out the stench. A fart does not require that you shop for a different car. I'll concede that this a particularly bad fart, one we will remember and tell stories about. But it is just a fart in a car. Take control.

Last edited by a moderator:
This moment in time is like a nasty fart in a car. The only proper response is to remove the dealer as soon as you can do so and then roll down the windows and floor it to clear out the stench. A fart does not require that you shop for a different car. I'll concede that this a particularly bad fart, one we will remember and tell stories about. But it is just a fart in a car. Take control.
Except what if it's more like someone #### in the car and got it on almost half the car and you can't get it out even after the dealer leaves? 

I think the biggest concern is the fact that there is a non-insignificant portion of the population here that blindly follow along and believe that science/Fauci/etc. are the problem, among other things.  It's one thing when the anti-vaxxers are just a relatively small portion of the whole.  It's another thing when we see the same kind of thinking much more widespread.  Where the idea of wearing a mask, for example, for the greater good is political.

I gave it a passing thought but not strictly because of Trump.  I have no serious plans to do anything, even if he were to win this November.  It may give me pause, if he were to win with the same numbers as last time but again, not enough to pull the trigger. Now if he were to pull some banana republic #### in 2024 to stay in power then sure I would strongly consider it.  But if what I expect to happen happens later this year then nope, I’ll be here until my dirt nap.

My wife has Canadian citizenship and family up there.  We've talked about it occasionally for years; way before Trump.   She said she'd be more inclined to go if he wins in 2020......but I can't imagine we'd seriously entertain it. 

Would like to live part time in another country at some point in my life. Like rent a house for 6 months in Bavaria type thing. But will always come back to the US.

In early March, I suggested to my wife that we purchase some weapons to protect our family in the event that there was civil unrest from COVID-19.  She said that if we needed to have guns in the house to feel safe, we should move back to Canada.

Maybe it's more like the smelly B.O. car in Seinfeld that was just left for the hoodlum to take. 

Yes. Trumpism is causing us to deal with COVID-19 worse than anywhere else in the world. If we had an offer to move for a job to another developed country we would do it.

i'm an old man now, so it's not likely to be an issue but i would not raise kids in America presently. no hesitation. i have a dual citizenship w Ireland and would use it under those circumstances. suckerism has overtaken this nation and it has reduced America from a shining beacon to almost as much of a world boondoggle as China. as i've said 4,718 times on these boards already, the President is merely a symptom. America remains the world's greatest hope and i will support & defend it as long as that is so, but flushing sounds have become deafening and an Irish retirement becomes ever more inviting.

I would never have thought of moving in a million years before but the last half decade or so has really put things in a new light, especially the last 6 months. It's not just Trump (although he's a BIG part of the problem) but as @wikkidpissah said he's a symptom. 

I grew up in a really poor rural town where most people didn't have a pot to #### in. You had to work for literally everything you had, and for most people that wasn't much but at least you appreciated it. Now that I'm a grown up who's had a fairly good run of success I live in a fairly upscale community where some people have a LOT of money. My wife grew up here so thats why we decided to live here but my concern was always that my kids were going to grow up in a town where kids got whatever they wanted and quite frankly become selfish ****s. Now that they're in school I've realized that I was right.

The last 6 months has really shined a light on the fact that this mini example is essentially what America is in the world. A bunch of selfish ####s who could care less about the people around them and are just out to get theirs. We can call it rugged individualism or whatever we want, but if you're stepping on others to get what you want it's not what I want my kids becoming as adults.

Whether I would actually move or not... probably not but I am definitely considering it to some degree. I could do my job at the top of a mountain if I had internet but my wife's career would be severely devalued outside of the US so it would be quite a strain on her. I'm definitely open to it though.

The last 6 months has really shined a light on the fact that this mini example is essentially what America is in the world. A bunch of selfish ####s who could care less about the people around them and are just out to get theirs. We can call it rugged individualism or whatever we want, but if you're stepping on others to get what you want it's not what I want my kids becoming as adults.
this is pure marketing. i was an adult 50 yrs ago and NObody led with what a selfish #### they were. the community wouldnt allow more than extravagant landscaping and the occasional sports car. when Gordon Gekko proclaimed "Greed is good" and not only did no one object but many went "halyAAAASSSS", media ran with it and have been pitching to the spoiled child within each of us ever since. even the politics are no more than Mad Ave discovering that rage was 1a to lust as a condition most conducive to the pitch. now that latchkey kids are middle-aged suckers, literally pitched to their entire lives, few know the difference between a person and a sucker and their kids are consecrating the syndrome on the soc minute-by-minute. yay for us - we rugged individuals beachin' it without masks are all that we can be!!

Before this potentially turns in to a crap on America thread....

Despite issues, there's a lot of good going on.  Most people are selfish to some degree but there's also a lot of really good people who do incredible things.  Lots on this board.  Land of the free, home of the brave - all men are born equal - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Those are still things that the country stands for.  YMMV.

I know many more people IRL that I consider good than I do bad - we as a country spend way too much time focusing on the bad and the negative.  We've had different versions of thread in the FFA and PSF where we try to focus on the good and they never take off.  There's something about the human nature that likes to dwell on the bad and ignore the good - both in people and in events.

Before this potentially turns in to a crap on America thread....

Despite issues, there's a lot of good going on.  Most people are selfish to some degree but there's also a lot of really good people who do incredible things.  Lots on this board.  Land of the free, home of the brave - all men are born equal - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Those are still things that the country stands for.  YMMV.
I totally agree.

Our problem is that many people have somehow construed the word, "pursuit' with "guarantee".

I totally agree.

Our problem is that many people have somehow construed the word, "pursuit' with "guarantee".
We could get in to a long debate on what happiness is and why our culture of things and greed doesn't get you there.  I do think there's more things that we should guarantee people (basic healthcare being one of them) but I agree that we should not guarantee people they will be happy because there's no way for us to measure it or to some degree even define it in a way that we could agree to.  What I consider happiness probably wouldn't be how you or others would define it.

I am a few years from retirement.  If Biden wins and anarchy, lawlessness and all things extreme left come to fruition, then I may take the expatriate route.  At the very least, I will need to upgrade home security and personal protection.  

Trump wins, all good.  

We could get in to a long debate on what happiness is and why our culture of things and greed doesn't get you there.  I do think there's more things that we should guarantee people (basic healthcare being one of them) but I agree that we should not guarantee people they will be happy because there's no way for us to measure it or to some degree even define it in a way that we could agree to.  What I consider happiness probably wouldn't be how you or others would define it.
To keep it simple, I see "happiness" of getting what you want out of life.

You should be free to pursue what makes you happy but there is no guarantee that you will achieve any of your goals.

All the government should do is to stay out of your way and not put any hurdles in front of you that is not put in front of someone else pursuing the same goal and to ensure that nobody else puts unnecessary hurdles in front of anyone.

Straightforward. Have you thought of leaving the US given the current state of affairs?
Not due to any current affairs but we had thought about retiring to Italy at one point although it was never more than a dream really.

But to leave because of political reasons? No way. That's why we're leaving NYC and enjoying the good life in Boise!

I have only because I saw a show  set in New Zealand and thought it was a beautiful place and one I wouldn't mind retiring to.

Has zippo to do with the President.

And go where?
I read here that Bahrain and Oman are SMOKING the US on Corona testing per capita.  Maybe one of those places?

I dont know if they allow you to bash the government or its leaders as much as what happens here...so might want to think that one through first.

And go where? is a good question.  It would take some research.  Alternatively places like Idaho and Wyoming seem like good possibilities.   Maybe the Black Hills of South Dakota.  

And go where? is a good question.  It would take some research.  Alternatively places like Idaho and Wyoming seem like good possibilities.   Maybe the Black Hills of South Dakota.  
Amsterdam

Australia

Costa Rica

Mexico

I can think of a bunch of places that I'd like to live for 5 years or so.

I'm planning on retiring in about 5 years.   We've been looking seriously about retiring overseas, not for any political reasons but more because there are a lot of good options and many countries making it easy for American retirees to relocate.

I've always laughed at people who say "if so and so wins I'll move out of the country" because they never do it but Trump winning a second term might very well make us consider it sooner than we had planned.

This......

For me, moving away from urban centers makes more sense......you may not understand unless you've lived in rural America.  

I have only because I saw a show  set in New Zealand and thought it was a beautiful place and one I wouldn't mind retiring to.

Has zippo to do with the President.
New Zealand, for the fly fishing, is on my bucket list....I don't know much about it other than that, but it's impressive enough to me, that i'd consider it......priorities

New Zealand, for the fly fishing, is on my bucket list....I don't know much about it other than that, but it's impressive enough to me, that i'd consider it......priorities
Even did a tad it of research to see what it would take.  Not impossible

May have changed now with Corona...I looked prior to that

This......

For me, moving away from urban centers makes more sense......you may not understand unless you've lived in rural America.  
Yeah...if I ever move...it won't be out of the country and not likely for political reasons.

I like where I live now...neighborhood is great, not in the city but close enough.  But I would not mind being a bit further from it all...grew up in a small town...actually wish we would have settled in a smaller area out of college or after when we were thinking of kids.  But would not mind being in a bit of a smaller "community".

This was dumb when right wingers posited it when Obama was president and it's dumb now when lefties posit it with Trump. 

You're not leaving. Get real. 
Disagree.  If it wasn't for having to leave my kid to my ex-wife, I'd totally be in Europe.  A large portion of this country wants it to be 1950 and I'm just not ok with that.  

I'm actually surprised that about half the answers are "yes" to the first question and a significant number of "yes" to the 2nd question. 

I have no idea...how do they treat American expats there?
If it's anything like they treat American tourists, very well.  It was odd to see how friendly they were to tourists before turning around and yelling at each other.  

I know that wouldn't be the case in Japan.  We could feel the darts from their eyes.  

If I didn't have family that I didn't want to be that far away from I would have moved to New Zealand years ago.  That was even before all of this nonsense in modern times.  That place is magical.

Voted no for the first, yes for the second, but in the same sense that 1% chance is greater than 0, but still not likely.  It is mainly as a thought exercise, since I am not really considering it, but if I had my choice I would probably consider New Zealand, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, Scotland, or South Korea. No real reason why other than it would seem neat. 

Users who are viewing this thread