What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Three things I've learned:

There is no way to rank the top actresses without a lot of complaints ("She's too low"  "No, she's just right"  "That pick stinks"  "That's right where I had her"....etc)  :hot:   :D :boxing:

No one is really happy with their total points so far (except maybe Dr. O)  :(

That's life in a competitive draft with a lot of knowledgeable people I guess.  :)
:hey:

The judging is impossible. When I calculate and post Tim, Mrs Rb and my rankings for musicals, I will highlight the disparity between our rankings. 
That will be interesting.  AD's and my action rankings were a little different from each other's, but seems like we mostly agree on the tiers of movies.  nothing like you are saying with musicals where somebody's 15pter is another's 1pters.  

I'm still within striking distance of a medal and still 2/3rds to go.  I think I only have had 1 of my first 10 picks get graded, so there is room from some decent scores with those picks.  

Animation, pt. 3

I've got no notes on me, just my list, but I'd like to get a couple more scored.

7 points - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) - Slick animation, above average plot, and does the Spider-Man franchise a world of justice. This movie might start a change in animation subject matter, but it may also be a lone beacon. A definite contributing factor to holding the points down here is recency. Does it stand the test of time? Will it create a legacy (more on that later)? Do another timdraft in, say, just 5 years and the value could appreciate by several points.
I think I liked the idea of Into the Spiderverse more than the execution. All those styles of Spiderman was just really odd. It made for funny scenes but we're just getting to know Miles Morales and all of sudden they throw more Spiderman's(?) at us before Miles has been solidly established.

The ranking is A-Ok, I'm just commenting on the movie. 

I think I liked the idea of Into the Spiderverse more than the execution. All those styles of Spiderman was just really odd. It made for funny scenes but we're just getting to know Miles Morales and all of sudden they throw more Spiderman's(?) at us before Miles has been solidly established.

The ranking is A-Ok, I'm just commenting on the movie. 
That was the point of the story though. Miles didn't know if he could be Spider Man until the others showed up and taught him that anyone can be.

Further, I thought it was a refreshingly positive and even handed take on race and sexism. White? Bi-racial? Female? A pig (it shouldn't have worked but did)? Why shouldn't you be able to be...whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the point of the story though. Miles didn't know if he could be Spider Man until the others showed up and taught him that anyone can be.
I think I would have had Peter Parker and Spider-woman teach him that, then make a second movie with the other spider-versions. Maybe I'm too greedy.

wikkidpix of the leftovers:

1930s - A Night at the Opera

1940s - Brief Encounter

1950s - Marty

1960s - Mutiny on the Bounty

1970s - Last Tango in Paris

1980s - Body Heat

1990s - Being John Malkovich

2000s - Sweeney Todd

2010s - The Imitation Game

Action - Kill Bill Vol 2

Suspense - The Long Goodbye

Western - Little Big Man

Comedy - Lost in America

Romantic Comedy -  Juno

Documentary - Koyannisqatsi

Historical Drama - Malcolm X

World War Two  - Tora, Tora, Tora

War - Three Kings

Horror - Motel Hell

Children's - The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

Animated - The Triplets of Bellevile

Musical - The Bandwagon

Rock - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Based on Real Events - Mongol

Based on a Book - Adaptation

Political - Richard III (1995)

Gangster - The Roaring Twenties

Courtroom - The Caine Mutiny

Space - Galaxy Quest

Sci-fi - Altered States

Fantasy - What Dreams May Come

Teen - Napoleon Dynamite

Sports - The Fighter

Foreign - Wings of Desire

Sequel - Buttpirates4: The Wreckening

Hero - Philip Marlowe

Villain - Dr. Evil

Original Song - Springtime For Hitler

Legendary Male Star - McQueen

Legendary Female Star - Rita Hayworth

Modern Male Star - Bill Murray

Modern Female Star - Tina Faye

Legendary Director - David Lean

Modern Director - Pedro Almodovar

Actor - Richard Burton

Actress - Faye Dunaway

Supporting Actor - Alec Guiness

Supporting Actress - Madeline Kahn

Greatest Movie - The Man Who Would Be King

Further, I thought it was a refreshingly positive and even handed take on race and sexism. White? Bi-racial? Female? A pig (it shouldn't have worked but did)? Why shouldn't you be able to be...whatever?
Yeah I’m neither a big animated movie fan or super hero fan but I though Spiderverse was so creative and fun.

wikkidpix:

1930s - A Night at the Opera

1940s - Brief Encounter

1950s - Marty

1960s - Mutiny on the Bounty

1970s - Last Tango in Paris

1980s - Body Heat

2000s - Sweeney Todd

2010s - The Imitation Game

Action - Kill Bill Vol 2

Suspense - The Long Goodbye

Western - Little Big Man

Comedy - The Producers

Romantic Comedy -  Juno

Documentary - Koyannisqatsi

World War Two  - Tora, Tora, Tora

War - Three Kings

Horror - Motel Hell

Children's - The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

Musical - The Bandwagon

Rock - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Based on Real Events - Mongol

Based on a Book - Adaptation

Political - Richard III (1995)

Gangster - The Roaring Twenties

Courtroom - The Caine Mutiny

Space - Galaxy Quest

Sci-fi - Altered States

Fantasy - What Dreams May Come

Teen - Napoleon Dynamite

Sports - The Fighter

Sequel - Buttpirates4: The Wreckening

Hero - Philip Marlowe

Villain - Dr. Evil

Original Song - Springtime For Hitler

Legendary Male Star - McQueen

Legendary Female Star - Rita Hayworth

Modern Male Star - Bill Murray

Modern Female Star - Tina Faye

Legendary Director - David Lean

Actor - Richard Burton

Actress - Faye Dunaway

Supporting Actor - Alec Guniess

Supporting Actress - Madeline Kahn

Greatest Movie - The Man Who Would Be King
🤣🤣🤣

word of advice watch the first 3 installments or you will be lost on the plot line

wikkidpix:

War - Three Kings

Teen - Napoleon Dynamite

Actress - Faye Dunaway
My favorites of the wikkidpix.  :)   And Motel Hell.  OK, I don't recall that it was a good movie, but I loved it.

ETA:  Accidentally deleted Bill Murray.  Way on-board with that one, too.

Supporting Actor - Alec Guniess
Like the Guinness pick here. I probably would have grabbed 2-3 of his Ealing comedies if I was picking here.

(And the answer for the late round pick that could have scored well in the 1940s is Kind Hearts and Coronets.)

My favorites of the wikkidpix.  :)   And Motel Hell.  OK, I don't recall that it was a good movie, but I loved it.

what's not to like about a chainsaw swordfight with Rory Calhoun wearing a pig's head in a cannibal smokehouse?!

wikkidpix:

1930s - A Night at the Opera - was a little surprised this one wasn't taken

Comedy - The Producers   - this one was taken but for another category

Courtroom - The Caine Mutiny - we almost took this

Teen - Napoleon Dynamite - inspired choice!  @rockaction - how would this have ranked?

Supporting Actor - Alec Guniess - love Guinness
Nicely done - comments above.

I considered A Night at the Opera but figured with Duck Soup also in the category it would be probably not score as well.

I promised to post rankings for the GOAT Lead Actor and the GOAT Movie today, but work got in the way.  I've been asked to hold The GOAT Movie until the end so I'm going to do that. 

The GOAT Lead Actor scoring is complete but I don't have time to write up the results, so here is a teaser  All 16 candidates are amazing so it was really, really hard.  I had 5 categories:

• I ranked each based on my personal opinion of their acting and careers - 40%
  • I put together an aggregate score based on 5 random web rankings and my wife's - 20%
  • I scored an academy award hit percentage based on nominations -10%
  • I scored academy award hit percentage based on awards per role - 10%
  • I gave each candidate a versatility rating - 20%
It was interesting to see who moved the most against my ranking.  It turns out most of that work was for naught because 7 stayed where I ranked them.  Biggest movers - Oldman, Fonda, O'Toole.  

• I scored an academy award hit percentage based on nominations -10%
I know it only accounts for 10%, but in theory if someone is always nominated but never or rarely wins, that would hurt them right? Susan Lucci for example: 21 Emmy nominations, 1 win.

krista4 said:

There's a chainsaw fight with a guy wearing a pig's head. What's not to love? 

eta, wikkid beat me to it. 

I know it only accounts for 10%, but in theory if someone is always nominated but never or rarely wins, that would hurt them right? Susan Lucci for example: 21 Emmy nominations, 1 win.
O'Toole's first nomination was against Atticus Finch.  I'm not sure not winning should be counted against him at all.

Musical category will be posted before the end of the weekend. The library had the 3 musicals I needed to see or revisit. Thank goodness for libraries. 

Case in point - I have access to a whole 7 of the 30 movies that I wrote down the other night from the start of this draft that I haven't seen.   Very frustrating.  

In descending order.  

Genre WAR OTHER 

-----------------------

16.  Escape to Victory a/k/a Victory - 1 pt

You got your chocolate in my peanut butter, you got your soccer in my war movie. 

Believe it or not this is not the only Other War flick that has a plot of war AND soccer on this list.  This one stars the Italian Stallion along with Michael Caine, Max von Sydow, and Pelé, yes Pelé along with other English 'football/soccer' stars.

Directed by none other than John Houston and I'm sure it appeals to a certain crowd who think nothing of WW II Nazis supplying POWs with color coordinated soccer uniforms playing in big stadiums is just fine and dandy.

The plot is an odd mix of the Great Escape, The Longest Yard, and the 1936 Jessie Owen Olympic games but not in a good way.  The plot is too embarrassing to give a thorough synopsis but one sub-plot has Stallone escaping a  POW camp, romancing a French girl then going back to play soccer.  

15.   Hamburger Hill - 2 pts

Not a star studded cast, starring Dylan McDermott a young Don Cheadle along with Steven Weber (TV show Wings).  Not a big budget but this film is not bad and it is well-made, err the Pillip Glass score is a bit melodramatic and not the greatest dialogue but what do you expect with the subject matter.

May 1969, ten of the bloodiest days in the bloodiest battle of the Vietnam war.  The infamous Airborne 101st taking hill 937 in the Ashau Valley.  The film starts out with a panning shot the black wall in DC where you'll find a lot of names from the hill.  The panning shot seamlessly continues right into what Nam vets called 'the sh!t'.  The battle scenes are brutal, you feel the dirt, thirst, smells.  

This had to have been a tough shoot.  Their are a lot of good picks on the list or it would go higher.  

14.  Zero Dark 30 - 3 pts

The first entry from Kathryn Bigelow on this list and the former wife of James Cameron can make a slick-flick.  

Not a star studded line-up.  Starring Jessica Chastain but other than Chris Pratt not a lot of star power.  The DOD must have funded this one because they try to soft pedal torture with posturing and posing and a hot babe lead. 

As a former member of Amnesty International who worked on the Urgent Action Hotline where I used to get people out of torture situations I am repulsed by this movie but understand it is well made and some eat it up with red/white/and blue silver spoons.  Not me.

13.  Zulu - 4 pts

Soo beautifully shot.  I mean gorgeous breathtaking backdrops.  It qualifies as an epic.

Starring Michael Caine in his first leading role, Stanley Baker, and what may be the greatest pipes in film history Jack Hawkins, love his voice its awesome.  (married to Jessica Tandy and suffered throat cancer which gave a deep throaty gravely quality to his voice.  He would eventually lose his entire larynx to throat cancer in 1967).  Caine is really good and this role caused his star to rise.  Oh and Richard Burton supplies the talent of the voice over.

Lots of stiff-upper-lip carry-on propriety that is endearing.  Lots of bare breasted native women in what can only be described as gratuitously framed shots.   The battle scenes are not technically good, best described as comedic as the battle was close fighting so the shots are obviously fake.  Still the story is interesting.  Definitely worth a viewing so long as you don't get too wrapped up in the battle scenes.

12.  The Hurt Locker - 5 pts

Another Bigelow movie and the one that earned her best director and she deserved it as this is a well made movie that she made on a small budget.  I'm not a big fan of the herky jerky hand-held shots that this film is littered with but the action sequences are awesome so big props to cinematographer Barry Ackroyd.

Starring Jeremy Renner, Guy Pierce, Ralph Fiennes.  The movie is intense, great scenes, great shots, once again tip of the hat to Kathyrn Bigelow for her work in this one.  Lots of vets have ripped the realism of the movie but it is without a doubt entertaining.  

Renner became a legit star in my eyes in this movie, he is great and burns up the screen as a reckless member of a bomb detonation team with a death wish.  Renner lost 15 lbs in four days as he wore the full bomb squad gear in 120 degree F heat filmed up to three miles from the Iraqi border.  

11.  300 - 6 pts

Do ya like Gladiator movies Billy?  Whats not to like with a bunch of muscled shirtless sweating hulks brandishing battle axe's and scimitars?  Add in lots bare breasted babes to pump testosterone into the green screen hyper realism of mindless movie making magic.  The result creates pure blood soaked guy entertainment.

Starring Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, and nobody else you've ever heard of.  Its not about the acting or the directing, its mindless entertainment and it is entertaining.  

=====================================

To be continued tomorrow...

It would be nice to be able to stream them but also I could probably cancel all my streaming and cable and just rely on the books and movies from the library to keep myself plenty entertained.
With COVID my access there is limited too.  The southern WI system isn't sharing items, so I can't order stuff from other libraries, so I would have to call each one for a pickup of a movie at their location and drive there.  

Users who are viewing this thread