What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

genre WAR OTHER    Con't

-----------------------------------------

10. Black Hawk Down 5 pts  EDIT 7 pts

Ridley Scott film based on real life in an action packed 'Get outta Denver Baby Go-Go' drama.

Starring Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Banna.  Solid cast and Scott's film making earned two Academy Awards for editing and sound.  It does have amazing SX (Sound Effects).

1993, the place Mogadishu Somalia.  UN peacekeepers withdraw empowering Mohamed Farrah Aidid whose militia declares war on the remaining UN personnel.  Enter Special Ops – 75th Rangers, Delta Force, and 160th SOAR - Night Stalkers aviators – intending to capture Aidid, who has proclaimed himself president.  They enter a hornet nest nightmare.  

Worked with a very-cool skinny dude who was aboard a ship in that 'general area' at the time when it came under heavy small arms fire where he was the only one who could fit so he was chosen to sneak through air ducts to get from one side of the ship to the other.  He said bullets were pinging off the metal as he crawled through. 

The movie may seem fantastically one-sided but it was true to reality as the final body count from this battle was 19 US dead with an estimated 1,000 Somali militia.  Even considering an inflated Vietnam-type body count the battle was decidedly one-sided however discretion being the better part of valor the US pulled out after the battle.

9.  The Boys in Company C 6 pts EDIT 8 pts 

The other war/soccer flick but this one was based on real life events.  Not a big name director and a cast where the biggest name is Andrew Stevens.  You'd recognize him if you saw him but the cast is basically TV actors but it has a debut from R. Lee Ermey who plays the same hard nosed DI that he plays in another movie that makes this list.  Stan Shaw stars as the lead and is very good.  James Whitmore Jr., yes he's the son of James Whitmore is excellent as Lt. Archer.  No big names but the cast comes togther really well in this film.

The plot, ah.  They stole from MASH and completely lifted portions of Phillip Caputo's book 'Rumor Of War'.  You can clearly see where the previously mentioned 'Victory' stole directly from this plot so that was a derivative of a derived work.

I really liked this movie more than I would have expected but the ending is just corny.  The dialogue does not travel well at all from the 70s especially the 'jive talk' and their is racist talk that stuns you but it is within proper context and it should shock you.  I had seen this movie before but it was good to see it again.  Check this one out if you haven't or haven't seen it in a long time.

8. The Deer Hunter 7 pts  EDIT 9 pts

The first R rated movie I ever saw.  Superbly directed by Michael Cimino who also helped to re-write an unproduced script.  Star studded cast,  Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, and John Savage, with John Cazale, and Meryl Streep.  Deniro is incendiary as he burns right through the screen (he would claim this as his most physically demanding part which is impressive if you've ever seen The Mission) .  High production values as the script went well over budget and time.  5 Academy Award wins along with 9 noms, add Streep getting her first of many-many-many nominations.  So many great performances but I like the under stated acting of John Savage in this one and wondered why he didn't rise to fame as the rest of the cast.

Almost like three movies in one.  The first in the steel town of Pennsylvania with a group of friends and a classic wedding scene that goes on for a very long time.  Hard cut to Nam leading up to the ultimate Russian Roulette scene in film history and one I literally jumped out of my seat and clapped at the screen I was so wrapped up in the emotion.  Then the odd ending which knocks this one down a bit.  Camino was over budget and under pressure so I have to think he was under pressure to get this one in the can because the ending is unsatisfying and odd.  

7. LA GRANDE ILLUSION (GRAND ILLUSION)8 pts  EDIT  10 pts 

You may not have seen this foreign movie, I hadn't but its fantastic.  Directed by Jean Renoir but has a supporting role played by historic director Eric Von Stroheim, it is doubtful you'd recognize any of the other foreign actors from the 30s but it is 'capably' acted and well directed outside of a few noticeable camera/focus issues that distract a little from the action.  

The precursor of all modern POW escape films which fits nicely into this list.  About a group of WW I POWs who plan and execute an escape from a German POW camp.  I have seen many examples of the reverence paid to fallen warriors of the opposite side in many films like this so it must have happened.  The romantic notions of war must have run strong at the time and it is heart warming although misguided as war was changing to stark filth desiccation and disease.   

Flip flopping from French to German with English thrown into the mix, a polyglot word feast.  Its utterly fascinating and watchable even with the sub titles.

===================

Will try to finish off the top-six later today....

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised to see the Deer Hunter ranked so low. My pick only got one point and probably deserves it so once again just an observation not a complaint. Rankings are well done and thought out.

genre WAR OTHER    Con't

-----------------------------------------

10. Black Hawk Down 7 pts

9.  The Boys in Company C  8 pts

8. The Deer Hunter 9 pts 

7. LA GRANDE ILLUSION (GRAND ILLUSION) 10 pts

Nice job Bracie - small edit as you got the points confused 

Nice job Bracie - small edit as you got the points confused 
I think that the endless wedding scene earlier in the movie is the weakest part of it.
The wedding scene is too long but adds to the gut-wrenching hard cut to Nam.  Also part of it was filmed in Cleveland and a lot of locals were extras in the film which created a lot of home-town pride so I like that part of the film even noting it is too long.

Oops.  I was wondering where all of the points went.  Correction noted and I'll edit to fix.

Stronger than the Russian Roulette scene?   :shock:   I think that's one of the most intense and best scenes in any film.
That scene is good too, but the wedding scene establishes the whole movie and took a lot of guts to make such a long scene like that.

That scene is good too, but the wedding scene establishes the whole movie and took a lot of guts to make such a long scene like that.
I think that they could have used that scene to establish the movie without it being so long.

In fact it felt longer than some actual weddings/receptions I have gone to.   :sleep:

It was also indicative of Cimino's tendency to make overlong films like Heaven's Gate.

I watched the first 30 minutes of Diving Bell - this could be a horror movie for me so far - that's like one of my worst nightmares.  Not trying to suggest I don't like it just that's terrifying to me.

I watched the first 30 minutes of Diving Bell - this could be a horror movie for me so far - that's like one of my worst nightmares.  Not trying to suggest I don't like it just that's terrifying to me.
That is how I felt too. I am sure it's a good movie and all but I was so uncomfortable watching it that I had a really negative reaction to it. 

I think that they could have used that scene to establish the movie without it being so long.

In fact it felt longer than some actual weddings/receptions I have gone to.   :sleep:

It was also indicative of Cimino's tendency to make overlong films like Heaven's Gate.
Take away the wedding scene and it's just another Vietnam movie- a somewhat ridiculous one even. 

That is how I felt too. I am sure it's a good movie and all but I was so uncomfortable watching it that I had a really negative reaction to it. 
I wouldn't even call it negative (for me at least) - I''m kind of a cross between mesmerized and freaked out.

I wouldn't even call it negative (for me at least) - I''m kind of a cross between mesmerized and freaked out.
I had heart surgery as a baby and thus always had regular check-ups and then another procedure when I was 16 (nothing serious, I am fine) but I quickly developed a strong negative reaction to hospitals. I don't like anything hospital related and I really hate watching things medical related- even if they are as silly as ER.  Diving Bell has enough medical/health related stuff to hit some deep seeded fears. 

I had heart surgery as a baby and thus always had regular check-ups and then another procedure when I was 16 (nothing serious, I am fine) but I quickly developed a strong negative reaction to hospitals. I don't like anything hospital related and I really hate watching things medical related- even if they are as silly as ER.  Diving Bell has enough medical/health related stuff to hit some deep seeded fears. 
Thank God I didn't draft The Sensuous Nurse. 

There are at least 3 movies that just scanning through that I will be ranking Diving Bell above. That is without any thought or looking at critic rankings. Just 2 movies that I think aren't good. If you had swapped this with Zodiac, it's huge swing from. Zodiac is a masterpiece. Just shows how random these results are. 

There are at least 3 movies that just scanning through that I will be ranking Diving Bell above. That is without any thought or looking at critic rankings. Just 2 movies that I think aren't good. If you had swapped this with Zodiac, it's huge swing from. Zodiac is a masterpiece. Just shows how random these results are. 
Tell that to Andy.  

7. LA GRANDE ILLUSION (GRAND ILLUSION)8 pts  EDIT  10 pts 

You may not have seen this foreign movie, I hadn't but its fantastic.  Directed by Jean Renoir but has a supporting role played by historic director Eric Von Stroheim, it is doubtful you'd recognize any of the other foreign actors from the 30s but it is 'capably' acted and well directed outside of a few noticeable camera/focus issues that distract a little from the action.  

The precursor of all modern POW escape films which fits nicely into this list.  About a group of WW I POWs who plan and execute an escape from a German POW camp.  I have seen many examples of the reverence paid to fallen warriors of the opposite side in many films like this so it must have happened.  The romantic notions of war must have run strong at the time and it is heart warming although misguided as war was changing to stark filth desiccation and disease.   

Flip flopping from French to German with English thrown into the mix, a polyglot word feast.  Its utterly fascinating and watchable even with the sub titles.
Now, my draft is a win. Someone saw a movie new to them and really liked it! My favorite part of Grand Illusion is the examination of classicism in pre-WW1 Europe. WW1 more than anything was about overturning the class system. Interesting with hindsight. The elite, royal class is responsible for WW1. They fall out of favor in it's aftermath, the social system is turned upside down. The  NAZIs and other aggressors responsible for WW2 were the parties of the working class. 

That's the hard thing about the judging and drafting.  In a category like this, we can't expect the judge to read or have read the 16 books.  So it's even more subjective since you probably can't take into effect like if's it's close to the book or not.  Maybe improves on it?  

When he goes down in that basement with the old movie theater guy, it is so incredibly terrifying. But also, I really want to go down there and see all the cool movie posters he has.

Also, have you ever had an Aqua Velva cocktail?
Not that I am aware of. 

Now, my draft is a win. Someone saw a movie new to them and really liked it! My favorite part of Grand Illusion is the examination of classicism in pre-WW1 Europe. WW1 more than anything was about overturning the class system. Interesting with hindsight. The elite, royal class is responsible for WW1. They fall out of favor in it's aftermath, the social system is turned upside down. The  NAZIs and other aggressors responsible for WW2 were the parties of the working class. 
I haven’t seen The Grand Illusion, but need to watch. As could probably be told from my 30s judging, I enjoy The Rules of the Game — need to watch some more Renoir.

That's the hard thing about the judging and drafting.  In a category like this, we can't expect the judge to read or have read the 16 books.  So it's even more subjective since you probably can't take into effect like if's it's close to the book or not.  Maybe improves on it?  
I guess similar to the Real Life category- just becomes a wild card. Does it matter how close to the real events the movie comes or can it take lots of liberties? 

Not that I am aware of. 
Me neither but it looks hilarious in the movie, love that scene

Users who are viewing this thread