What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

The New York Times Manohla Dargis

To say that Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York is one of the best films of the year or even one closest to my heart is such a pathetic response to its soaring ambition that I might as well pack it in right now.
Running this through my Dargis-translator I hear "pretentiousness to the N-th degree, and an Andy Dufresne auto-skip special". 

I got the same result when I just entered the word "Melancholia". 

I use the JustWatch app to see if something's available. Looks like for that one, it's not available for free anywhere but can be rented from any of the streaming services like Amazon, iTunes, Google, Youtube, FandangoNow, Vudu, Microsoft, or DirectTV. 
the drafter says its worth the rental. :)

Running this through my Dargis-translator I hear "pretentiousness to the N-th degree, and an Andy Dufresne auto-skip special". 

I got the same result when I just entered the word "Melancholia". 
i cant conceive of a way to irritate you more than a single viewing of Synedoche will
Double featured with Silkwood. Sitting next to Meryl Streep, who offers running commentary on both films. And makes Andy run to the concession stand like 10 times. And chews popcorn with her mouth open. And opens a can of tuna.

13 points - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - the one that started it all. Disney's first feature film, venturing out from the world of musical shorts. I don't think it's a particularly engaging rewatch, but it's hard to deny the importance, and therein greatness, of this film. "Heigh Ho!" is a classic and the red apple is an unmistakable icon.
Sorry about the late comment - been out of town.

Great job on the rankings, but had to comment on this one:

The animation and songs are great in this until Snow White starts singing...then my ears start bleeding.

Possibly the most annoying singing voice I've ever heard.   :jawdrop:

1940s films (Part I)

My methodology to the 1940s was the same as for the 1930s and earlier. As I mentioned there, I tried balancing a bit between my own personal view, how important it was to the era, how well it holds up, and how much it remains in the public consciousness. I’ve included the Tomatometer and audience score rankings from Rotten Tomatoes; I’m not applying as any kind of fixed formula, but I did consider it as part of a sanity check to make sure my views/perception were not out of whack. In this case, all of these films are pretty close, so it did not serve as much of a sanity check.

I think the 40s are the decade of great movie quotes, including some movies that went in other categories (like Casablanca).  So, I felt obligated to throw in a classic quote from each movie below. In an ode to the KP reveals from the yearly movie polls thread, I’m throwing in a hot take from IMDB for each movie (and regretting not doing that for the 1930s). I'm splitting up due to length...

16. Meet Me in St. Louis (1 point)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 87%.

“Clang, clang, clang went the trolley/Ding, ding, ding went the bell”

I’d tier my 16th through 12th ranked films fairly close together.  I could probably move these movies around (and have repeatedly in my rankings process).

My take: A couple of Judy Garland’s defining songs in Trolley Song and Have Yourself a Merry Christmas, but nothing that really stood out to me otherwise.  Maybe this would have fared better in the musical category (well, it certainly could not have fared worse). I think it will end up higher on some critics’ best of 1940s lists (and probably the lists of some other would-be judges) than mine. Not a bad movie, but something has to go in the last spot.IMDB hot take: 

Still the most overrated film of all time

I've already written a review for Meet Me in St. Louis, and I apologize for having to repeat myself. But given the extreme obnoxiousness of this film I think I can be excused for voicing my opinion twice.

Meet Me in St. Louis tries to make its audience feel good. It tries to be optimistic and idealistic and nostalgic. You're supposed to watch it and feel better for a while. Unfortunately the film completely fails to achieve any of its goals--this supposed ideal vision of heartland America is nothing but a nauseating, racist nightmare. How can so many reviewers say they wish the real world could be more like this? Do you really wish the world was so saturated with color you could barely look at it without going blind? Do you really wish everybody was white and looked like everybody else?

All of the characters are bland and uninteresting, all of the songs are lifeless and completely incidental to the rest of the movie, and the movie's color scheme made me feel like throwing up. The plot is nothing but silly mix-ups, a completely random Halloween bonfire, and bratty girls trying to get indistinguishable men to like them. It's all formulaic drivel. I've never seen a movie as dead as this one.

There's nothing worse than a supposedly cheery movie that just makes you feel bad about yourself. I'd rather be run over by one of those St. Louis trolleys than watch this film again.

15. Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein (2 points)

Tomatometer: 89%. Audience score: 85%.

“Chiiiick!!!”

My take: Probably the best Abbott and Costello movie, with a decent number of laughs.  Makes effective use of the whole Universal monsters, including Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula, and Lon Chaney as the Wolf Man.  Costello yelling “Chiiick!!” is funny the first couple of times, but I thought it did get a bit old about halfway through.  IMDB hot take:

Total Trash

This movie is so bad that I can never explain it all. I will do my best to hit the main points. I know almost nothing about Abbott and Costello except that they usually use their real names. Why would they have their real names in the title and not use them in the movie? I guess 70 years ago these guys were considered funny but they had no jokes here. The fat one made me laugh twice and not out loud. Once again, Frankenstein had basically nothing to do with the movie. The monster is in the last five minutes but his name isn't Frankenstein. Did the Wolf Man and Dracula ever meet? They act like they did and I don't remember that. How did Dracula go from being a dead body to ruling a castle in America? There's castles in America? Lon Chaney does his classic melancholy crap to makes you feel bad but it doesn't fill the plot holes. I heard that Karloff didn't do this movie because he didn't want to be associated with Abbott and Costello. That's funny because he's such a terrible actor that this movie couldn't have hurt his career. This is a movie that you should never see.

14. Fantasia (3 points)

Tomatometer: 95%. Audience score: 83%.

“Dum da-dum da-dum da-dum-dum-dum-dum.”

My take: This one may have fared better in animation.  Certainly great art from that perspective (and I appreciate that and what they were trying to do), but I would not call it one of Disney’s most enjoyable movies.  It is not one that I see most cranking up Disney+ to sit down and watch over and over.  I think some of the vignettes are uneven. Sorceror’s Apprentice is great, but some others sequences hold up better than others.

On a personal note, it brings back some terrible memories of my music teacher annoyed at my inability to hold the opening clarinet note of Sorceror’s Apprentice for 20 seconds: like my 13 year old self was supposed to know what my teacher’s instruction to use my diaphragm was supposed to mean. But I did not hold that against it in my score.  IMDB hot take:

Worst Children's' film I have seen to date

Warning: Spoilers

Worst Children's' film I have seen to date.

I was thoroughly disappointed at this film. Not because of the quality, not the length. But at the material that ended up being this movie.

I rented this expecting this to be a beloved "Disney" classic. But instead all I saw was an orchestra and a few snippets of cartoons. I would have no problem with solid cartoons, with classical music accompanying the drawings. But to showcase an orchestra, for almost the entire length of the film, is a bit much.

If you are looking for a classic "Disney" movie, with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. Avoid this one.

I give it two thumbs down.

1940s films (Part I)

My methodology to the 1940s was the same as for the 1930s and earlier. As I mentioned there, I tried balancing a bit between my own personal view, how important it was to the era, how well it holds up, and how much it remains in the public consciousness. I’ve included the Tomatometer and audience score rankings from Rotten Tomatoes; I’m not applying as any kind of fixed formula, but I did consider it as part of a sanity check to make sure my views/perception were not out of whack. In this case, all of these films are pretty close, so it did not serve as much of a sanity check.

I think the 40s are the decade of great movie quotes, including some movies that went in other categories (like Casablanca).  So, I felt obligated to throw in a classic quote from each movie below. In an ode to the KP reveals from the yearly movie polls thread, I’m throwing in a hot take from IMDB for each movie (and regretting not doing that for the 1930s). I'm splitting up due to length...

16. Meet Me in St. Louis (1 point)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 87%.

“Clang, clang, clang went the trolley/Ding, ding, ding went the bell”

I’d tier my 16th through 12th ranked films fairly close together.  I could probably move these movies around (and have repeatedly in my rankings process).

My take: A couple of Judy Garland’s defining songs in Trolley Song and Have Yourself a Merry Christmas, but nothing that really stood out to me otherwise.  Maybe this would have fared better in the musical category (well, it certainly could not have fared worse). I think it will end up higher on some critics’ best of 1940s lists (and probably the lists of some other would-be judges) than mine. Not a bad movie, but something has to go in the last spot.IMDB hot take: 

15. Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein (2 points)

Tomatometer: 89%. Audience score: 85%.

“Chiiiick!!!”

My take: Probably the best Abbott and Costello movie, with a decent number of laughs.  Makes effective use of the whole Universal monsters, including Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula, and Lon Chaney as the Wolf Man.  Costello yelling “Chiiick!!” is funny the first couple of times, but I thought it did get a bit old about halfway through.  IMDB hot take:

14. Fantasia (3 points)

Tomatometer: 95%. Audience score: 83%.

“Dum da-dum da-dum da-dum-dum-dum-dum.”

My take: This one may have fared better in animation.  Certainly great art from that perspective (and I appreciate that and what they were trying to do), but I would not call it one of Disney’s most enjoyable movies.  It is not one that I see most cranking up Disney+ to sit down and watch over and over.  I think some of the vignettes are uneven. Sorceror’s Apprentice is great, but some others sequences hold up better than others.

On a personal note, it brings back some terrible memories of my music teacher annoyed at my inability to hold the opening clarinet note of Sorceror’s Apprentice for 20 seconds: like my 13 year old self was supposed to know what my teacher’s instruction to use my diaphragm was supposed to mean. But I did not hold that against it in my score.  IMDB hot take:
if there were more acidheads going to the flikkashow in the 40s, #s 14 & 15 would have to be higher

1940s films (Part I)

:wub:    :bow:

Too funny - I was thinking of doing this for the 2010 movies.   Didn't think many cared for the shtick though.  

1940s Films Part II

13. Pride of the Yankees (4 points)

Tomatometer: 93%. Audience score: 89%.

“Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”

An entertaining enough film, and reminds me of growing up watching WPIX during Yankees’ rain delays. A solid cast with Gary Cooper and Theresa Wright. But it gins up a bit too much of Hollywood “magic” that detract from the story (like when Lou Gehrig promises to hit two home runs for little Billy in the hospital).  It also has too little baseball for a baseball movie.  Given the sports movie judger’s love of baseball, maybe this would have fared better in sports.

IMDB hot take (okay, maybe my take is not too far off the hot take, but my take has better spelling):

Skip ahead to the farewell speech

ArtVandelayImporterExporter18 February 2019

This movie is insufferably smug, condascending, hokey, and insulting on all sorts of levels. Gehrig's immigrant family is reduced to cheap stereotypes. Gehrig is a bumbling idiot in Cooper's hands. The baseball scenes are weak. The love story is dull. My gawd, this guy was arguably one of the 5 greatest players to ever don a baseball uniforn. This biography is tripe. Of course, everybody remembers the farewell speech at Yankee Stadium. OK, that part is moving. But everything that comes before it is hot Hollywood garbage.

12. Miracle on 34th Street (5 points)

Tomatometer: 96%. Audience score: 87%.

“I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe.”

My take: It has stood the test of time as one of the best Christmas movies ever, alongside It’s a Wonderful Life.  It suffers from a bit of the same hokum as that one (hard for a Santa Claus not to), but it ranks high in staying in the public consciousness factor.

IMDB hot take:

Am I the only one who didn't like this movie?

I finally saw this movie after all of these years and I was VERY disappointed in its total lack of logic. (I realize it's just a movie but if you want me to believe that that guy is Santa Claus, you have to make me believe in the movie first.) He says he's Santa Claus but he lives in an old folks' home. If he's Santa Claus, wouldn't he live at the North Pole? Does this not bother anyone else? I thought the ham-handed seriousness of the mother was a bit over-the-top (she's less of a believer than I am, I guess). We get it, you're an atheist and that's how you raised your daughter. The movie really could have done without that. I think you don't need Super Skeptic as the foil for a guy saying he's Santa Claus. Any six people on the street would be fine.

11. The Big Sleep (6 points)

Tomatometer: 97%. Audience score: 91%.

“So, you're a private detective. I didn't know they existed, except in books, or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corridors. My, you're a mess, aren't you?”

My take: Tier jump for me here… Bogie-Bacall and Howard Hawks reuniting from “To Have and Have Not” (which featured another classic 40s film quote -- “You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? You just put your lips together, and blow”).  The Big Sleep is one of the great noirs of the 40s. Love Raymond Chandler’s novel; Bogie plays a pretty good Marlowe. It deserves more points than I’m giving to it here, and tried figuring out a way to move it up, but a good group of films ahead of it.IMDB hot take:

This movie SUCKED

I have seen two old movies yesterday but this one was rubbish. It is so rubbish that you may find it impossible to concentrate. Movies shouldn't be like this. It doesn't even have a plot.

This movie is all about a man looking for a missing girl. He sweats a lot in a disgusting way. He speaks with a whiny voice too. I just hated him. Then all sorts of weird things start happening and I didn't know what was going on! It was like a calamity had occurred in my brain.

I just got a headache watching this film. It is so rubbish. If they had taken out all the weird stuff and had a different actor to play the so-called hero it would have been better.

10. A Matter of Life and Death (7 points)

Tomatometer: 97%. Audience score: 93%.

“I love you, June. You're life, and I'm leaving it.”

My take: This is one that I first watched for judging purposes (and I think my first Pressburger & Powell film), and I’m glad that I did. Came out at a time when so many were dealing with a sense of loss in the wake of WWII.The first 5-10 minutes of the movie are great in setting up to care about the characters, and why they might fall in love so quickly. A bit of a reverse Wizard of Oz, with life in vibrant color and all its glory, and the afterlife in black-and-white.  I think the ending was a bit heavy-handed on the political point that it was trying to make, which puts it just below the films ahead of it.

IMDB hot take:

Gawd Awful

I saw this movie recently because a friend brought it with him from NYC. After 30 minutes, I said to him," You've got to be kidding. Is this some sort of joke?" He thought it was good. I told him that I thought it was probably one of the silliest movies ever made. "What was it supposed to be?" I asked. "A propaganda movie made for children?" The plot is stupid. The acting is the worst ever for most of the principals and frankly people who look at this sort of tripe and think it has anything to do with life, love or even afterlife, of which it offers an incredibly idiotic view...need some psychiatric help. Please, if someone tries to get you to stick this in your DVD or Video player, consider it like you would a virus introduced into your computer...it won't destroy your player but it will destroy your evening. If they had made Razzies in the '40s, this would have won in every category. (PS. It also goes under the dubious sobriquet of "Stairway to Heaven.")

1940s Films (Part III)

9. Sullivan’s Travels (8 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 89%

“There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have? It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cockeyed caravan.”

My take: One of Preston Sturges’ greats, maybe just behind The Lady Eve.  As @Man of Constant Sorrow is probably aware, the movie Sullivan wants to make is called “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”  The Coen Brothers have said their film is what they envision Sullivan would have set out to make at the conclusion of the film.  The message of the movie (as embodied in the quote above) certainly has a great deal of appeal in the year 2020. #61 on AFI’s Top 100 10th Anniversary list.

IMDB hot take:

Simply awful

The movie stinks on many levels, but I think it is even more sinister than the mere fact that as a comedy it doesn't work. I believe the message was an anti-union anti-communist message, that poor people are poor because they don't know any better, and that all we can do for them is let them laugh a little. The butler in the beginning sums up the whole movie; poverty is not a lack of riches, it is not a negative, it is a disease. Well there you go. This film could have been written by Ayn Rand. And maybe it was.

This is a movie Mitt Romney would love.

Veronica Lake, the witty blond, is a good actress but the script doesn't do her justice.

8. Rebecca (9 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 92%.

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.”

My take: Hitchock’s first Selznick movie. In another thread, wikkid called this his favorite “girl/fire/blankets” movie.  Great cast with Olivier and Fontaine, and Judith Anderson’s brilliant turn as Mrs. Danvers.  Beat out a couple of movies that I have higher than it here for Best Picture.  It was a fine pick for that year, but I think some of the ones that it beat out are better films.

IMDB hot take:

Captain Misogynism or the master of predictability? Take your pick.

These lines of dialogue are a good summary of why Rebecca sucks.

I'm not beautiful, or intelligent. - But you have other, better qualities. Like kindness and sincerity. - So let me ask you, what was Rebecca like? What did people see in her? - Why, she was the most beautiful creature I've ever seen.

Either this is the worst writing ever, the worst character development ever, or a really pathetic attempt to be mysterious and complex, making it again the worst writing ever. Hitchcock is so blindly driven by his technicality that he actually forgets to read the screenplays he's turning into films. And if that's not the case, if he wasn't hearing impaired on set, he has the intelligence of an infant and the creative energy of a euthanised walrus. 

On top of this hysterical delinquency, I can't believe women's rights groups haven't tried to bury Hitchcock under the insurmountable pile of celluloid he cost the world. Every female character in his films is either … stupid, socially inept, cruel and backstabbing or insane…..

7. Notorious (10 points)

Tomatometer: 98%. Audience score: 91%.

“A man doesn't tell a woman what to do. She tells herself.”

My take: Hitchock films go back-to-back here, but just where they were slotted and not by design. Great cast with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains all turning in great performances. This film also deserves a place alongside Hitchcock’s best films. Added a bit of romance to Hitchcock’s usual psychological thriller/suspense.  One of those movies that has a little bit of everything.

IMDB hot take:

Vastly overrated and BORING!!!!!

I watched this supposed "classic" movie last evening. I expected a very good movie and was richly disappointed. There is almost NO action in this dull Hitchcock ego trip. It is basically one, overlong talkfest. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman carrying on long conversations throughout the film is not my idea of a great movie. There's really nothing else I can say except HORRIBLE.........
6. White Heat (11 points)

Tomatometer: 97%. Audience score: 93%.

“Made it, ma! Top of the world!”

My take: James Cagney had stopped doing gangster movies to avoid getting typecast, but he had a knack for it. White Heat could be viewed as one of the original heist movies that would become popular in the 1950s (see The Killing, The Asphalt Jungle, The Lavender Hill Mob, etc.).

IMDB hot take (when sorting by lowest rating, lowest rating is actually 5/10; hard to find negatives here): 

Huh?

**spoilers**

While reading the comments for this movie, I was shocked to find that not a single person had anything bad to say about it. Now, I liked the movie, but calling it the greatest or even among the greatest gangster movies of all time is absolutely ludicrous. I found it to be a pretty well put together cops and robbers thriller that had some exciting moments and some good scenes. However, Cagney's acting is completely unworthy of all the accolades it has gotten. He's wooden and uninteresting at all moments when he's trying to show any emotion beyond crazy. For example, when he finds out his mother has been murdered, he staggers around a little and punches some guards, as I'm sure the director instructed him to, but you get no sense of any sadness. Also, why bother showing the extent to which he takes the undercover cop under his wing only to have the cop coolly put four bullets from a sniper rifle at him without so much as a blink to show that he regrets having to do it. I guess what I'm saying is that if this movie were robot theater, where emotions are of no importance, it would be terrific, but as a human I just wanted a little more.

1940s Films (Part IV)

5. The Maltese Falcon (12 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 91%.

“The stuff that dreams are made of.”

My take: Bogie gets all the noir detectives.  Marlowe earlier, and now Hammett’s Sam Spade.  John Huston classic that set the standard for the film noir genre, including its use of light and camera angles. Great cast too with Bogie and Lorre. Mary Astor the definition of a femme fatale. #31 on AFI’s Top 100 10th anniversary list.

IMDB hot take:

*THE* Most Overrated Movie of All Time?

I wonder how anyone can sit through this trashbag of a movie with eyes open. God help those who deceive themselves into thinking a movie is good because it was made before they were born. The movie involves a detective who goes around insulting women (and yet getting their attention) and hitting people twice his size. One'd think the writer must have been suffering from a massive inferiority complex. The plot is terrible and many events may insult the intelligence of a six year old (eg. the way the hero "outwits" the cops when they visit his place when he has that meeting with the female and that french guy). And I should confess.. I fell asleep around halfway and never did get to watch the remaining part. Nor do I ever want to watch it, considering what a ho-hum of a movie this is! 1/10.

4. The Philadelphia Story (13 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 93%.

“Oh, Mr. C.K. Dexter Haaaaaaaven!”

One of the great romantic comedies of all-time with a sterling cast, starring Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Katherine Hepburn.  One-up’s the “love triangle” with more of a “love rhombus.”  Jimmy Stewart is a scene-stealer throughout the movie (impressive considering the cast), and deserving of his lone Best Actor win.  #44 on AFI’s Top 100 10th anniversary list.

IMDB hot take:

Nothing redeeming about this film

There is nothing I can say positive about this film. It certainly has not stood the test of time.

Who can emphasize with any of the characters in this film? Kate Hepburn is not convincing as the spoiled rich girl who miraculously becomes human with imperfections. Why would a ##### goddess all of a sudden become human after a drunken stupor, after years of being a spoiled brat?

And Cary Grant should have passed on his role as Dexter. He appears wooden and superfluous. Jimmy Stewart should not have received an Oscar for his role either. Why would an intelligent writer suddenly fall in love with such a ##### if he is oh, so bright as a writer?

Nah, this film may have appealed to the rich and those enamored with the American aristocracy, but today it leaves one with the feeling of wanting to vomit.

The only scene that comes off real is when Grant pushes Kate down on the ground. After that scene, change channels because the rest is trite and trash.

My only question is who are the morons who rated this film highly?

3. The Grapes of Wrath (14 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience score: 88%.

“I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look, wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build, I'll be there, too.”

I can’t top Steinbeck. One of the lasting great documents of the devastation of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl.  Henry Fonda great as Tom Joad, and expert direction by John Ford. #23 on AFI’s Top 100 10th anniversary list.

IMDB hot take:

Spoiled Grapes

When I first saw that I was going to watch this film for my class I was pretty excited because I never saw it before and you always see it in the top ten films of all time. After watching it though I honestly thought this film was horrible and don't see what everybody sees in it. I hated the story, I don't want watch people just struggle through out the whole without any really closure.I need to be entertained and watching a family struggling from Oklahoma to California is not my idea of a great film. The only thing that i thought was great about the film was the cinematography some shots and scenes were simply amazing and couldn't believe that it was shot in 1940. Saying that though great backgrounds do not make a film great.
2. The Third Man (15 points)

Tomatometer: 99%. Audience score: 93%.

“Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

Another tier here, as these last two may have fared well in a greatest movie of all-time category (and are in my personal top 5)…. Post-war Vienna provided a helluva backdrop for a movie. Orson Welles only on the screen for a limited time, but he created some of the most memorable scenes with his entrance and the cuckoo clock speech. The ending with Joseph Cotten waiting to get the girl at the end, only to have her walk by without even looking at him one of my favorite movie endings too. Anton Karas's zither music a perfect accompaniment to the movie.

As I mentioned, I’d put this in my Top 5 favorite movies of all-time, and only a movie that may be the greatest movie of all-time could top it, and, well…  but, first, IMDB hot take.

Blithering Zithering!!

I love Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton, either together or singularly in movies. This one I saw for the first time a few years ago on TCM. They played it again this morning.

If there was a way to play a movie on "Mute," and still get the gist of the acting, I would do it. What a horrific decision to make use of a Zither as the major music score. The repetitive pounding of the same score was maddening! In case you have any tympanic membrane left, be forewarned....A "Zither" is a musical instrument that sounds like a cross between a Mandolin and a Screeching Cat. The music goes loud, then low (during a funeral), fast then slow.... but rarely stops for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's the same tune too. Forget waterboarding: just play this music score to your enemy and they'll beg you to take their secret info.

The movie is often shown in angles, as though they tilted the camera. Tall shadows of unknown persons in the city at night were supposed to add to the thriller aspect. Oh yeah, it seems that this city is always empty except for the movie crew and actors. Odd.

I thought the movie was fine, but not worthy of most accolades. Just a modest post-war thriller of sorts. Orson Welles shows up in the last third of the movie. The thrill part comes mostly from his interaction with Joseph Cotton and others, and the plot point is finally revealed. Big Deal!! Geez....I don't think I've ever spent so much room of a review on the music alone. BUT It's the music that jangles every nerve in my body and ruins what otherwise would have been a good movie experience.

1. Citizen Kane (16 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience Score: 90%.

“Rosebud…”

Movies featuring Orson Welles in the 1-2 spots.  I wrote up a decent amount about the cinematography of Citizen Kane in my Legendary Directors write-up. Putting aside the technical aspects, the story is great and covers a lot of genres — mystery, political, some romance, and humor scattered throughout.  Please clap.

IMDB hot take:

It's his sled.

It was his sled from when he was a kid. There I just saved you two long boobless hours.

/fin

11. The Big Sleep (6 points)

Tomatometer: 97%. Audience score: 91%.

“So, you're a private detective. I didn't know they existed, except in books, or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corridors. My, you're a mess, aren't you?”

My take: Tier jump for me here… Bogie-Bacall and Howard Hawks reuniting from “To Have and Have Not” (which featured another classic 40s film quote -- “You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? You just put your lips together, and blow”).  The Big Sleep is one of the great noirs of the 40s. Love Raymond Chandler’s novel; Bogie plays a pretty good Marlowe. It deserves more points than I’m giving to it here, and tried figuring out a way to move it up, but a good group of films ahead of it.IMDB hot take:
jeez - you even post a quote and missed my all-time favorite movie line, written by William Faulkner of all people, who adapted the Chandler novel for the screen:

"She tried to sit in my lap while i was standing up"

jeez - you even post a quote and missed my all-time favorite movie line, written by William Faulkner of all people, who adapted the Chandler novel for the screen:

"She tried to sit in my lap while i was standing up"
Ah, shoot.  I thought I had changed it to that.

1. Citizen Kane (16 points)

Tomatometer: 100%. Audience Score: 90%.

“Rosebud…”

Movies featuring Orson Welles in the 1-2 spots.  I wrote up a decent amount about the cinematography of Citizen Kane in my Legendary Directors write-up. Putting aside the technical aspects, the story is great and covers a lot of genres — mystery, political, some romance, and humor scattered throughout.  Please clap.
for which Welles gave proper acknowledgment by listing the name of Gregg Toland (Who shot 3 of my '40s top 4 - Kane, Grapes & Best Years of Our Lives) after his own as the final movie credit.

for which Welles gave proper acknowledgment by listing the name of Gregg Toland (Who shot 3 of my '40s top 4 - Kane, Grapes & Best Years of Our Lives) after his own as the final movie credit.
Yeah, I think I mentioned Toland's work with Welles and Wyler in my director's write-up.  He deserves a lot of credit for that.  He was also the cinematographer on The Little Foxes, which probably would have been middle of the pack for me.

I like Bogie & Bacall and noir films...I lasted about a half hour into the Big Sleep before I turned it off and have never returned.  

And a lot was said about how good the zither music was and added to The Third Man - I thought it was annoying and detracted from the film. 

1940s Films Part II

13. Pride of the Yankees (4 points)

Tomatometer: 93%. Audience score: 89%.

“Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”

An entertaining enough film, and reminds me of growing up watching WPIX during Yankees’ rain delays. A solid cast with Gary Cooper and Theresa Wright. But it gins up a bit too much of Hollywood “magic” that detract from the story (like when Lou Gehrig promises to hit two home runs for little Billy in the hospital).  It also has too little baseball for a baseball movie.  Given the sports movie judger’s love of baseball, maybe this would have fared better in sports.

IMDB hot take (okay, maybe my take is not too far off the hot take, but my take has better spelling):
Wait, this is being penalized for having too little baseball even though the category isn't sports?  I could understand using that as a criteria for a sports movie evaluation but this is not that.  Seems odd to use that as a criteria as it really wasn't a baseball movie but more of a movie that had baseball in it.  It's about a person not the game he played. 

ETA:  I have no idea if it should be higher or not.  Good Job as this was a tough category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, this is being penalized for having too little baseball even though the category isn't sports?  I could understand using that as a criteria for a sports movie evaluation but this is not that.  Seems odd to use that as a criteria as it really wasn't a baseball movie but more of a movie that had baseball in it.  It's about a person not the game he played. 
Not a penalty — just a comment on it.  

2. The Third Man (15 points)

As I mentioned, I’d put this in my Top 5 favorite movies of all-time, and only a movie that may be the greatest movie of all-time could top it, and, well…  but, first, IMDB hot take.
I considered this for GOAT. But I also felt this particular category was so ridiculously stacked, that I needed it here too. Kind of a tossup. 

The 40's were a great decade for movies, topped only by the 70's for me. 

It's his sled.

It was his sled from when he was a kid. There I just saved you two long boobless hours.
The actual 'rosebud' wasn't about his sled as a kid bub.  

I''m pretty sure you can figure this one out. 

It was about 'a certain specific body part' of the mistress of William Randolph Hearst Marian Davies.   

The actual 'rosebud' wasn't about his sled as a kid bub.  

I''m pretty sure you can figure this one out. 

It was about 'a certain specific body part' of the mistress of William Randolph Hearst Marian Davies.   
That was just a thing started by Gore Vidal and people have just run with it because it's funny. 

I don't have a problem with the scoring but finding the most negative comments to post about a movie takes the fun out of this. We spent time researching and watching movies to select, and to have a judge copy/paste Debby Downer's hateful review for lolz is really deflating. 

That was just a thing started by Gore Vidal and people have just run with it because it's funny. 
Vidal was a cunning linguist but the movie 'climax' finish seems a perfect fit for what Vidal said and he's never been disproved.  

Hearst was a major creeper and the vendetta he carried out against Orson Wells seems like Wells rubbed the button the wrong way.

I don't have a problem with the scoring but finding the most negative comments to post about a movie takes the fun out of this. We spent time researching and watching movies to select, and to have a judge copy/paste Debby Downer's hateful review for lolz is really deflating. 
Fair point.  I did not intend anything mean by it.  As almost all of these films appear on lists of the greatest films of all-time, or pretty high in their respective genre, I thought it may be more entertaining than me just saying "oh, one of the greatest movies of all-time with one of the greatest casts too" over and over.  Maybe a miss on my part.

Genre Historical Drama 

In descending order

16.  The Color Purple 1pt

I thought I had seen every movie on this list and I would be watching movies that I had seen a long time ago.  I thought for sure I must have seen the Color Purple back in the 80s and had forgotten but within the first few minutes I realized I had never seen this flick and it hit me square in the chest with two barrels, the first incest and the second pedophilia.  I literally started squirming in my chair like WTF is this?  Then you see the patented Speilberg signature directorial style and how the film seems to be giving an acceptable nod with 'humor' to this behavior.  I'm sorry but WTF?  

Director gets points for being slick and knowing how to make a big budget movie but its the 80s Speilberg that made some 'odd' choices.  The film really doesn't come close to fitting together emotionally with the story.  I have to ding Steven for simple things like green leaves in the background with obvious chalk fake-snow in the foreground.  Hokey looking set for the 'club' scenes. Cartoonish 'humor' by every one of the male lead characters that appear like a parade of bad black film stereotypes, the character of Squeak that Tommy Chong's daughter, Rae Dawn Chong is the same character of 'Prissy' in Gone With The Wind that Butterfly McQueen played that 'fit' in the 30s but sticks out like a sore thumb in the 80s.  

I was spinning while watching asking WTF over and over knowing that their had to be something about this film that made it so popular and then the musical tribute to Whoopi Goldberg's (debut film-Oscar nominated) character (Celie Johnson) by Margaret Avery (Shug Avery) the love interest of Danny Glover is fantastic, the Spielberg reunion ending that plays like a timed jazz piece but its just not enough to turn this review around.  Even the debut of Oprah Winfrey who marries a character named Harpo (her name backwards) but their are holes you can drive a semi through.  I'm still scratching my head over why everyone fell over themselves praising this movie.  80s blinders?  I don't know.

15. Eight Men Out 2 pts

I liked this film a lot more after re-watching it then I did years ago the first time I saw it.  Not a big name director and the cast were not well known at the time but it had a 'decent' budget and the film has a unique look and feel that I like.  It would mean much more to a Sox fan than most but I really like the story that is known at the 1919 Black Sox scandal but the real villain is the cheap skate Black Sox owner Charles Comiskey (played well by Clifton James).

Relatively well acted but I'm not going to give false praise.  The real star is the story.  Great dialogue but even with the budget the sets look cheap.  The bit players give weak performances.  The story line of Buck Weaver (John Cusack) and some kids is rough.  Nice work by David Strathairn playing knuckleballer Eddie Cicotte and Charlie Sheen does his thing as Hap Felsch but the best is from Michael Rooker as Chick Gandil.  John Mahoney is solid at the skipper Kid Gleason.

I like the film but don't love it.  

14.  Good Night And Good Luck 3 pts

Directed, written, and starring George Clooney but its not a star vehicle or ego thing.  Its a true homage to journalistic integrity.  Something George saw from father who was a news anchor and fought for civil rights to the point he was blackballed and kept from reporting for years so the story hits home for him.  Saw this one in the theater when it came out and really like it as its got its own style.  Filmed on a shoestring and financed by George Clooney who mortgaged everything he had to make the film which he either shot in black and white or did the computer thing to make it appear B&W.  Smart choice using jazz lounge interludes as the music is cool and fits.

Excellent cast, David Strathairn (first time as the leading man earning an Academy Award nomination for best actor) who is sensational in the lead role of Edward R. Murrow.  Jeff Daniels as Sig Mickelson, Robert Downey Jr., Patricia Clarkson, Clooney, and superb work by Frank Langella.

1950s and the black list is terrorizing people.  Junior Senator Joseph McCarthy has turned into full blown demigod.  I guess some people felt the person playing McCarthy was awful and over the top but it was newsreel footage of McCarthy.  The best line of the whole film was from the newsreel by Joseph Nye Welch the chief counsel of the hearings who said:  "At long last, have you left no sense of decency? 

Mr. McCarthy, I will not discuss this further with you. You have sat within six feet of me and could have asked me about Fred Fisher. You have seen fit to bring it out. And if there is a God in Heaven it will do neither you nor your cause any good. I will not discuss it further. I will not ask Mr. Cohn any more witnesses. You, Mr. Chairman, may, if you will, call the next witness."

At this, those watching the proceedings broke into applause.

Its odd to see a new witch hunt today with the PC movement where everyone is looking for the slightest thing to be outraged because everyone is a five minute Internet genius on everything coupled with the love to polarize people into things they can hate or love, few bother to see complexity.  This country was built on compromise.  People should have the right to say things, especially things you and I may disagree with without a McCarthyistic witch hunt.   (Back on-topic.)

The blacklist ended but Murrow paid.  The Hollywood black list would 'un-officially' continue till 1960 till a film that appears later on this list would break the blacklist.  Liked the movie, loved the acting, the story, you can feel the budgetary constraints but it is still well made.  

=========================================

To be continued

ilov80s    --    300
Dr. Octopus    --    298
Andy Dufresne    --    290
higgins    --    280
joffer    --    278
triplemania    --    277
timschochet    --    265
Karma Police    --    261
Gally Steiner    --    260
tuffnutt    --    259
TheWinz    --    257
EYLive    --    256
jwb    --    253
Doug B    --    237
Mrs. Rannous    --    225
mphtrilogy    --    222

(No scores for Historical Drama included)

you can tell whose taste in movies agree with your own and whose do not.
I just started to tally the "Judges" average point per selection for our movies.  It is very easy to see who aligns with who for movie tastes for sure.  I think team Gallstein needs more Bracie (15.5 ppc for two categories)  and Todem (10.5 ppc over six categories) and less Quixote (2.3 ppc over three categories)…….hahhahahahahaha

Genre Historical Drama 

15. Eight Men Out 2 pts

I liked this film a lot more after re-watching it then I did years ago the first time I saw it.  Not a big name director and the cast were not well known at the time but it had a 'decent' budget and the film has a unique look and feel that I like.  It would mean much more to a Sox fan than most but I really like the story that is known at the 1919 Black Sox scandal but the real villain is the cheap skate Black Sox owner Charles Comiskey (played well by Clifton James).

Relatively well acted but I'm not going to give false praise.  The real star is the story.  Great dialogue but even with the budget the sets look cheap.  The bit players give weak performances.  The story line of Buck Weaver (John Cusack) and some kids is rough.  Nice work by David Strathairn playing knuckleballer Eddie Cicotte and Charlie Sheen does his thing as Hap Felsch but the best is from Michael Rooker as Chick Gandil.  John Mahoney is solid at the skipper Kid Gleason.

I like the film but don't love it.  

To be continued
That a way to build up our negative value points.  We are nearing that magical -30 value point plateau (-28)…….Where's @Todemto judge this baseball movie?

ETA:  Spoke too soon about needing more Bracie in the judging.  Must be a small sample size as he has now dropped to 11ppc for Team Gallstein.  Ugh!

That a way to build up our negative value points.  We are nearing that magical -30 value point plateau (-28)…….Where's @Todemto judge this baseball movie?

ETA:  Spoke too soon about needing more Bracie in the judging.  Must be a small sample size as he has now dropped to 11ppc for Team Gallstein.  Ugh!
Their are a bunch of good movies.  I have no clue who chose which movie and haven't gone back to look.  I'm playing no favorites.   I have no idea who is in front or trailing.  I'm judging strictly off of the movies.

I just started to tally the "Judges" average point per selection for our movies.  It is very easy to see who aligns with who for movie tastes for sure.  I think team Gallstein needs more Bracie (15.5 ppc for two categories)  and Todem (10.5 ppc over six categories) and less Quixote (2.3 ppc over three categories)…….hahhahahahahaha
Sorry, I guess so. At least I’m done judging now, unless I get pulled back in for something else.

Their are a bunch of good movies.  I have no clue who chose which movie and haven't gone back to look.  I'm playing no favorites.   I have no idea who is in front or trailing.  I'm judging strictly off of the movies.
I know you are completely unaware of who is who.  It is just interesting to see which judges have the same movie tastes as which drafters.  The data is starting to show some trends....hahahaha

It's all in good fun.  Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread