What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Nope.  If they made any effort at all, I'd feel for them.  But since they are in the Jesus take the wheel zone, I just don't care at all.  They need to mope away from me.
Hmmm...not my reading at all but again I am not able to mentally separate the book and the movie

I saw Double Indemnity for the first time about 5 years ago. I always heard it was a classic Noir, so I looked forward to seeing it. I was underwhelmed too, and I really like old movies. I wasn't "give it one point" underwhelmed (I would have ranked it about 8), but I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like it. 

The Suspense Category is in. Here are your results:

16. Jaws - Doug B

15. Sev7en - ilov80’s

14.The Sixth Sense - tuffnut

13. American History X - EYlive

12. Vertigo - Triplemania

11. The Vanishing - Karma Police

10. Rear Window - Higgins

9. The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) - mphtrilogy 

8. Memento - Joffer

7. Blood Simple - Dr Octopus

6. Marathon Man - Tim

5.  Cape Fear - jwb

4. Taken - Galley Steiner

3. The Innocents - Andy Dufrense

2. Fatal Attraction - The Winz

1. Double Indemnity - Mrs.Rannous
Nice job here!

My only complaint is that Se7en is a little high but then I have almost always found Fincher to be vastly overrated.

Through 39 Categories (11 left to go):

1. ilov80s--392
  2. triplemania--362
  3. Dr. Octopus--360
  4. tuffnutt--353
  5. joffer--348
  6. higgins--346
  7. Andy Dufresne--335
  8. Karma Police--327
  9. EYLive--326
  10. jwb--325
  11. Doug B--321
  12. Gally Steiner--316
  13. TheWinz--309
  14. timschochet--303
  15. mphtrilogy--301
  16. Mrs. Rannous--280
It was a run.

Had never seen it - really glad I watched it but not sure I would ever watch it again.  It’s was not an “easy” watch.
Lol - it feels like this describes 1/2 my favorite movies.    Just glad you got something out of it.   

I really liked your blurb about the movie and it was lock in step with what I posted a bit ago about gravitating to movies that make me feel something.  

Double Indemnity is a phenomenal film, we should have had a Film Noir category...  maybe the term "suspense" maybe hurt this one?

ebert's review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-double-indemnity-1944

another phenomenal Stanwyck picture and McMurray is great too, who does some great noir work in the 40's before his pivot in the late 50's and 60's to my 3 sons and nutty prof roles

Rear Window would have been my #1

pretty painful to watch so many great films finish last.. oh well, it's just for fun...

@KarmaPolice I would love to hear some thoughts on the foreign movies you just watched for the judging process
Sorry, I didn't see this, and then I had a snarky thought like "well, my rankings told you what I thought of them". ;)   Like I said before the judging, I liked everything in the category and think they are all very good- great movies.   

Since this draft started and for this judging I have seen for the first time In the Mood for Love, 8/12, Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, and Cinema Paradiso.    The first 3 were in my top 5.  I was blown away by those and were thinking about them for days after.  When I wrote down In the Mood for Love, I thought that might get a little flack for being high, but then krista's top 5 were the same, and she is for sure smarter than I am.     I guess the best way to describe the rankings for 400 Blows and Cinema is that they were great but were a little more towards the spectrum of academic enjoyment vs. a few that were right above them that hit me in the gut more and have stuck with me over the years.  

Long and short is thanks again to the drafters in here - I have seen a handful of great movies since we started this and because of this draft, and that's what this was all about in the end (despite me being too competitive and getting into arguments about judging).  

Double Indemnity is a phenomenal film, we should have had a Film Noir category...  maybe the term "suspense" maybe hurt this one?

ebert's review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-double-indemnity-1944

another phenomenal Stanwyck picture and McMurray is great too, who does some great noir work in the 40's before his pivot in the late 50's and 60's to my 3 sons and nutty prof roles

Rear Window would have been my #1

pretty painful to watch so many great films finish last.. oh well, it's just for fun...
Same here.  

Based on Book - Part 3

9. (8 pts.) - Awakenings

“The human spirit is more powerful than any drug, and that is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. These are the things that matter. This is what we'd forgotten, the simplest things.”

I love this movie.  I think it's one of Williams best performances.  Much in the same way Diving Bell made me think and feel, so did Awakenings.  The "You're awake" scene with Leonard (DeNiro) - almost brings me to tears just thinking of it.  The horror of being trapped in your body and then the joy of being "resurrected".  Life can be so unfair.

8. (9 pts.) - Little Women

"If I’m going to sell my heroine into marriage for money, I might as well get some of it"

The other judges were bigger fans of this than I was.  Everyone is familiar with the story of the March sisters—Jo, Meg, Amy, and Beth and it's undeniably a classic story and I can appreciate it for that but it's a genre that just doesn't do much for me. 

7. (10 pts.) - Forrest Gump

“Stupid is as stupid does."

“My mama always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.'"

“Run, Forrest! Run!”

I figured this would be a somewhat divisive selection when I saw it on the list.  It seems that folks either love it or kind of hate it.  Not to put words in their mouths but 80's seems to not hold it in high regard, Tuffnutt is a fan and I was in the middle (solely going off rankings). 

Hanks transforms himself and while some of the situations and scenes are ridiculous, it never went campy for me.  The soundtrack is one of my favorites of all-time and it's got great quotes throughout.  It's not a movie that I will make a point to sit down and re-watch over and over but if you land on it it's great to watch a scene or two.

Yeah, I took American History X because I love it and there wasn't a drama category. And Taken is action. I wasn't expecting such a good score. 😀
I thought Taken was very suspenseful.  As someone mentioned the action sequenses let to the suspense where you are on the edge of your seat the whole movie.  

I have figured out that my interpretation of action and suspense are vastly different than the judges for those categories.  To me action and suspense can be interchangeable (it is not always) and just because a movie has comedy doesn't mean the action is lacking.  I actually prefer the action comedy more than some of the sole action movies.  

7. (10 pts.) - Forrest Gump

I figured this would be a somewhat divisive selection when I saw it on the list.  It seems that folks either love it or kind of hate it.
That was a big reason I moved it out of the 1990s category. The in-thread criticisms of the film scared me off, and made me think Boyz N The Hood would score better in the 1990s. I'm not sure that Boyz (a bottom 3 film) got more than Gump would have in the 1990s.

Forrest Gump was such a massive part of the mid-1990s zeitgeist that I totally assumed it would be a well-remembered, much-loved film of its time. It's another cultural entity, I think, that lost esteem once the Internet took off. That sounds weird to say out loud ... but there are things that seem to have just fallen off the cultural map circa 1998-2000.

Based on Book - Part 4

6. (11 pts.) - A Room with a View

"I don't care what I see outside. My vision is within! Here is where the birds sing! Here is where the sky is blue!"

Somewhat like Little Women, this was another movie where the genre just isn't my thing.  Stellar cast with DDL, Helena Bonham Carter and Maggie Smith and superbly acted.

This was 80's movie - as mentioned, I liked it least of the judges but 80's and Tuffnutt thought very highly of it.

5. (12 pts.) - Misery

"I'm your number one fan. There's nothing to worry about. You're going to be just fine. I will take good care of you. I'm your number one fan."

I may have been more surprised by the ranking for this movie than any other in the list.  Not that it's not really good but it seems like people kind of forget about it.  Bates delivers a masterclass in portraying the psychotic fan of Caan's character - novelist Paul Sheldon.  From the twisted mind of Stephen King and the movie direction of Rob Reiner this is thrilling and suspenseful.

I'm not sure I've ever cringed more during a movie scene than the sledgehammer scene in this movie.  Creeps me out just thinking about it.

All three judges had this either 5 or 6 on their list.

4. (13 pts.) - Fight Club

"The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."

Fight Club has always been one of those movies that I feel like I should love but I don't.  I also don't hate it and in fact, really like it - because it's so bizarre and well-acted.  I'm an Edward Norton fan-boy of sorts.  I just think he's a fantastic actor.

Tyler Durden - maniac, brutal, smart, violent - in the end, imaginary.  It's definitely a mind ####.

That was a big reason I moved it out of the 1990s category. The in-thread criticisms of the film scared me off, and made me think Boyz N The Hood would score better in the 1990s. I'm not sure that Boyz (a bottom 3 film) got more than Gump would have in the 1990s.

Forrest Gump was such a massive part of the mid-1990s zeitgeist that I totally assumed it would be a well-remembered, much-loved film of its time. It's another cultural entity, I think, that lost esteem once the Internet took off. That sounds weird to say out loud ... but there are things that seem to have just fallen off the cultural map circa 1998-2000.
I do think Gump hasn't aged great.  I have a soft spot for it still and think it's a good movie.  Honestly, the first time I heard people on FBGs crap on it I was shocked because I assumed everyone liked it.  Then I remembered what a bunch of heartless curmudgeons we have around here.  ;)  

I do think Gump hasn't aged great.  I have a soft spot for it still and think it's a good movie.  Honestly, the first time I heard people on FBGs crap on it I was shocked because I assumed everyone liked it.  Then I remembered what a bunch of heartless curmudgeons we have around here.  ;)  
:lol:  

Forrest Gump was, is, and always will be hot garbage.  Hated that movie when I saw it, and my loathing has only grown over time.  If Todd Solondz hadn't made Happiness, Forrest Gump would still be my least favorite movie.
Fight Club was, is, and always will be hot garbage.  Hated that movie when I saw it, and my loathing has only grown over time.  And the ending makes no sense.

Was this an equal weighting for the judges, or was this more you wanted feedback to see if you were way off base?
Equal weighting - I'm trying to highlight where we maybe differed wildly.  It seemed like our lists were fairly similar - if one of us seemed to really not care for a movie (Lust for Life or Gump for example) the other two typically balanced it well.  I did not factor in online aggregators in this category since we already had 3 of us.  I did compare and there were two films that seemed to get hurt by that - yours (Diving Bell) and Lust for Life.  But in both cases nobody had them ranked nearly as high as the aggregators did.  There's one more movie (yet to be revealed) where the ranking was a little surprising to me and was one where one judge differed.

Forrest Gump was, is, and always will be hot garbage.  Hated that movie when I saw it, and my loathing has only grown over time.  If Todd Solondz hadn't made Happiness, Forrest Gump would still be my least favorite movie.
I'm sorry I called you a curmudgeon.  I take it back.

I thought Taken was very suspenseful.  As someone mentioned the action sequenses let to the suspense where you are on the edge of your seat the whole movie.  

I have figured out that my interpretation of action and suspense are vastly different than the judges for those categories.  To me action and suspense can be interchangeable (it is not always) and just because a movie has comedy doesn't mean the action is lacking.  I actually prefer the action comedy more than some of the sole action movies.  
You are correct. "Suspense" as a category seems a bit off because it feels more like a secondary descriptor that the main genre.

Based on Book - Part 5

3. (14 pts.) - Jurassic Park

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."

I'm a fan of most of Crichton's novels but this one may be my favorite.  I can still remember seeing this in the theatre and being awestruck.  I kind of soured on the franchise over the years because they milked it for all it's worth but the original is just fantastic and the special effects for the time were outstanding.  Loved Goldblum in this one.

80s and I had this pretty high in our lists.  This was the other film where I was a little surprised by the ranking - going in to ranking them I did not expect to have it that high on my list but after going through there was only one I had higher and 80's had it first.  Not shocked but just surprised by that a little.

2. (15 pts.) - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

This is one of my favorite books of all time.  When I first heard of Peter Jackson doing this I was certain it would not be great but was hopeful it would at least be good.  Boy was I wrong - the 3 movies were pretty outstanding considering the material and I'm not sure I could have asked for more.  The Fantasy/Adventure genre isn't for everyone but if you do like it then LoTR has to be in your top-10 movies all time I would think.  High marks all around from each judge.

1. (16 pts.) - To Kill A Mockingbird

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Somehow I managed to go through 46 years and I had never seen this nor read the book.  If anything good happened from this judging it's that I got to watch this.  Peck played the role of Atticus Finch and while it seems like a rigid performance, it was outstanding and I'm assuming very true to the book character.  Peck won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role.  This is just a powerful story and one I'm glad I had the opportunity to finally watch. 

Mockingbird topped two of the judges list and was 3rd in the last one - easy winner.

Based on Book - Final Standings

1. To Kill A Mockingbird
  2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  3. Jurassic Park
  4. Fight Club
  5. Misery
  6. A Room with a View
  7. Forrest Gump
  8. Little Women
  9. Awakenings
  10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  11. Dead Man Walking
  12. Lust for Life
  13. The Mission
  14. Around the World in 80 Days
  15. M*A*S*H
  16. To Die For

Standing after 40 Categories (10 left):

1. ilov80s--398
  2. tuffnutt--368
  3. Dr. Octopus--365
  4. triplemania--365
  5. joffer--354
  6. higgins--350
  7. Andy Dufresne--339
  8. EYLive--335
  9. Karma Police--334
  10. Doug B--331
  11. jwb--327
  12. TheWinz--325
  13. Gally Steiner--321
  14. mphtrilogy--315
  15. timschochet--304
  16. Mrs. Rannous--288

Good battle going on for silver and bronze.

Here are the remaining 10 categories left to be judged - if any of your judges are in need of help please let me know.  I will be on vacation next week and could possible help.  Not rushing anyone but want to keep things moving.

• Decade - 1960s - Bracie Smathers
  • Decade - 1970s - MOCS
  • Decade - 1980s - MOCS
  • Decade - 2000s - Woz
  • Genre - Comedy - Kumerica
  • Genre - Courtroom Drama - Woz
  • Genre - Fantasy - Kumerica
  • Genre - Science Fiction on Earth - Kumerica
  • GOAT - Leading Actor - Nick Vermeil
  • GOAT - Greatest Movie of All Time - Nick Vermeil
As a reminder I asked Nick to wait on GOAT - I thought it may add some suspense and is the GOAT of GOATS but 80's and his phenomenal drafting ruined that idea.  :)

@Bracie Smathers @Man of Constant Sorrow @Woz @Kumerica @Nick Vermeil

Based on Book - Part 5

3. (14 pts.) - Jurassic Park

"Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists."

I'm a fan of most of Crichton's novels but this one may be my favorite.  I can still remember seeing this in the theatre and being awestruck.  I kind of soured on the franchise over the years because they milked it for all it's worth but the original is just fantastic and the special effects for the time were outstanding.  Loved Goldblum in this one.

80s and I had this pretty high in our lists.  This was the other film where I was a little surprised by the ranking - going in to ranking them I did not expect to have it that high on my list but after going through there was only one I had higher and 80's had it first.  Not shocked but just surprised by that a little.

2. (15 pts.) - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

This is one of my favorite books of all time.  When I first heard of Peter Jackson doing this I was certain it would not be great but was hopeful it would at least be good.  Boy was I wrong - the 3 movies were pretty outstanding considering the material and I'm not sure I could have asked for more.  The Fantasy/Adventure genre isn't for everyone but if you do like it then LoTR has to be in your top-10 movies all time I would think.  High marks all around from each judge.

1. (16 pts.) - To Kill A Mockingbird

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Somehow I managed to go through 46 years and I had never seen this nor read the book.  If anything good happened from this judging it's that I got to watch this.  Peck played the role of Atticus Finch and while it seems like a rigid performance, it was outstanding and I'm assuming very true to the book character.  Peck won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role.  This is just a powerful story and one I'm glad I had the opportunity to finally watch. 

Mockingbird topped two of the judges list and was 3rd in the last one - easy winner.
When I read Jurassic Park back in the day, it read like a movie....that’s why it came to mind after Mockingbird was the natural winner....  

Users who are viewing this thread