Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news.

Recommended Posts

Seen all the AFI100 at least twice. Cant say any of em dont belong there. My least favorite are The Searchers, The Graduate, Mr Smith, Bonnie & Clyde, Streetcar, LotR, Heat of the Night, Blade Runner. I would replace ItHotN & Blade Runner with The Producers and The Man Who Would Be King. The rankings....meh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Seen all the AFI100 at least twice. Cant say any of em dont belong there. My least favorite are The Searchers, The Graduate, Mr Smith, Bonnie & Clyde, Streetcar, LotR, Heat of the Night, Blade Runner. I would replace ItHotN & Blade Runner with The Producers and The Man Who Would Be King. The rankings....meh

Sadly, I cannot watch The Producers any more.  It's just too frenetic to me.  Except, of course, for "Springtime For Hitler".  Amazing.  I'd pay to see that.

"Don't be stupid.  Be a smarty.  Come and join the Nazi Party."

Edited by Mrs. Rannous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Sadly, I cannot watch The Producers any more.  It's just too frenetic to me.  Except, of course, for "Springtime FOr Hitler".  Amazing.  I'd pay to see that.

"Don't be stupid.  Be a smarty.  Come and join the Nazi Party."

I agree, other than the play within the movie, I didn’t really find it that funny on a rewatch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen about 90% of the AFI list. 

The worst one for me is Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf. 

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch that again.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFI 100

Seen em all.  LINK

2 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I've seen about 90% of the AFI list. 

The worst one for me is Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf. 

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch that again.

Virginia Wolf isn't on the list.  Dancing with Wolves is but not Ginny Wolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Sadly, I cannot watch The Producers any more.  It's just too frenetic to me.  Except, of course, for "Springtime For Hitler".  Amazing.  I'd pay to see that.

"Don't be stupid.  Be a smarty.  Come and join the Nazi Party."

It would be truly unfortunate if the difference in contemporary mores was a factor in how people feel about what i consider a masterclass in comedy performance (Mostel's opening scene - i have actually broken down all the choices in pitch, volume, inflection, emphasis, timing etc to those i tutored on standup in the 90s), but i kinda understand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

AFI 100

Seen em all.  LINK

Virginia Wolf isn't on the list.  Dancing with Wolves is but not Ginny Wolf.

The original (see checklist) AFI100 and 10th-anniv-revised lists are substantially different

ETA: Woolf, American in Paris several others were in the orig

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

The original (see checklist) AFI100 and 10th-anniv-revised lists are substantially different

You are right, the revised LINK

Of the revised I may have seen Intolerance but that is the only one I'm not sure of.  I've seen the rest of both lists.

Oh and I never cared for Whose Afraid Of Virginia Wolf either.  People constantly arguing is not my thing but I do admit loving August Osage County.    August: Osage County (2013)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

People constantly arguing is not my thing

That's pretty much why Twelve Angry Men sucks.  Pointless silly arguing does not make a good movie for me.  If they all behaved like they are actually older than five, I might be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zow said:

Sorry guys. Work has been insane the last couple of weeks. I still intend on judging the 2000s category. However, I regret that I may not be able to watch the movies I haven't seen in the courtroom drama category and do service to judging it. Does somebody else want to do courtroom dramas?

If help needed for this, I could chip in. I think just a handful that I haven’t seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

It would be truly unfortunate if the difference in contemporary mores was a factor in how people feel about what i consider a masterclass in comedy performance (Mostel's opening scene - i have actually broken down all the choices in pitch, volume, inflection, emphasis, timing etc to those i tutored on standup in the 90s), but i kinda understand.

Mine isn’t a mores thing, just isn’t funny to me like it once was. I’m a big fan of the  receptionist in the movie. She’s a real standout among the cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:
24 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

People constantly arguing is not my thing

That's pretty much why Twelve Angry Men sucks.  Pointless silly arguing does not make a good movie for me.  If they all behaved like they are actually older than five, I might be interested.

Their is a big difference between dysfunctional inter-family theatrics where dysfunction rules the day and a real-time 11-1 jury swing from guilty to not guilty.  12 Angry Men is fantastic IMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Mine isn’t a mores thing, just isn’t funny to me like it once was. I’m a big fan of the  receptionist in the movie. She’s a real standout among the cast.

I drafted it and I’m by no means saying it got shafted in the draft but I loved it. I’ll admit I probably haven’t seen it in 20 years, but watched it 4-5 times before that. I thought it was still funny (then) but to me it’s more. The premise is pretty clever, the actors excel, and then you have the musical within, which was hysterical and worth it on its own.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I drafted it and I’m by no means saying it got shafted in the draft but I loved it. I’ll admit I probably haven’t seen it in 20 years, but watched it 4-5 times before that. I thought it was still funny (then) but to me it’s more. The premise is pretty clever, the actors excel, and then you have the musical within, which was hysterical and worth it on its own.

I agree with everything you say, just didn't work for me when I watched a couple months ago with my wife. She had never seen it before so maybe part of it was complete non-reaction to it. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

 

Oh and I never cared for Whose Afraid Of Virginia Wolf either.  People constantly arguing is not my thing but I do admit loving August Osage County.    August: Osage County (2013)

did you know the author was part of the Festivus meal scene ("he had to be shot") on Seinfeld?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I drafted it and I’m by no means saying it got shafted in the draft but I loved it. I’ll admit I probably haven’t seen it in 20 years, but watched it 4-5 times before that. I thought it was still funny (then) but to me it’s more. The premise is pretty clever, the actors excel, and then you have the musical within, which was hysterical and worth it on its own.

👍 my all-time favorite comedy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I've seen about 90% of the AFI list. 

The worst one for me is Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf. 

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch that again.

It is the most caustic movie I've ever seen but I love it. They are so insane, the number of cocktails consumed is off the charts. Also the movie starts in the AFTER PARTY at like 1 AM. It is freaking crazy how hard they were partying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

You are right, the revised LINK

Of the revised I may have seen Intolerance but that is the only one I'm not sure of.  I've seen the rest of both lists.

Oh and I never cared for Whose Afraid Of Virginia Wolf either.  People constantly arguing is not my thing but I do admit loving August Osage County.    August: Osage County (2013)

Broken link...

 

Working now...

Edited by Klimtology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't there supposed to be top 3 rankings??? BRACIIIIIIEEE, PLEASE REPORT TO MY OFFICE IMMEDIATELY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Weren't there supposed to be top 3 rankings??? BRACIIIIIIEEE, PLEASE REPORT TO MY OFFICE IMMEDIATELY!

Can't rush genius, also the Indians are in a one-run game and wine has been served, its-a-com'n.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

16.  Breathless - 1 pt

15.  The Jungle Book - 2 pts

14.  The Producers - 3 pts

13.  Goldfinger - 4 pts

12.  Funny Girl   5 pts

11. Persona  6 pts

10. Easy Rider 7 pts  

9. La Dolce Vita  8 pts

8.  In the Heat of the Night 9 pts

7.  Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 10 pts

6.  The Graduate  11 pts

5.  Midnight Cowboy 12 pts

4.  A Man For All Seasons 13 pts

TOP THREE 60s

3.  The Apartment 14 pts

Its got three things I love in movies.  Billy Wilder directing, Billy Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond screenplay with Jack Lemmon and Shirley McClaine :wub:  at peek lovely/hotness. 

Wilder not only knew how to write scripts he had a few rules.  Spare use of voice over but he begins with a VO.  He said why use 12 pages of dialogue when 30 seconds of VO can do the same thing but don't tell the audience, show them and have them figure it out and that is why Jack Lemmon says he 'Has a problem and can't use his apartment.'  Billy shows us why and we hit the ground running.  Brilliant. 

Another Billy Wilder script writing rule, do the set up early and then come back around with the punchline later in the story.  We see this in many Wilder screenplays.  One of my all-time favorites is in 'Some Like It Hot' when Lemmon says in full drag to Marilyn Monroe while sniping at Tony Curtis that 'I bet he even has a BICYCLE!'  It stood out since it didn't fit the scene but later the comeback when Lemmon is stalling for time in drag with his male date when Curtis comes by riding a bicycle and he says astonished.  'He DOES have a bicycle.'  I crack up every time.  In the Apartment he sets up the ending when he has Lemmon tell the story about his suicide attempt with a gun and shows it to McClaine.  Later she's running to his apartment when... won't give away the obvious spoiler.  The way he gives his boss the broken mirror he found which sets up how he figured out the girl was McClaine.  Lots of other examples but it is gooooooood stuff.  Dare I say?  Wildereske?  I just luv it and eat it up with a fork and spoon.

What can you say about Wilder and Jack Lemmon?  Peas and carrots?  I adore their work together and with McClaine?  Chef's kiss.  Irma la Douce isn't on any AFI top-100 list but I LOVE IT!  It works for me.  In The Apartment the love triangle with Fred McMurray works, it just works.  The acting is great.  I have to mention the Doc next door neighbor played by Jack Kruschen, lovely character actor who is just right in this one.  

The score is nice, the story, the directing, the acting, its just damn good.

2.  Cool Hand Luke 15 pts

Torn between the top-two.  One thing about 60s films is the, um experimental camera work that can really detract but one thing we see in contemporary films is what?  DRONE FOOTAGE up the ying-yang.  What in the wild-wild world of sports does that have to do with Cool Hand Luke and 60 experimental camera use?  Well a lot of 60 films would set up a big shot to end a film which inevitable was a HELICOPTER SHOT that was shaky as hell and would kick up a ton of dust and it is really-REALLY distracting when you get used to the stable drone footage that is done by five year olds today.  It really stood out as I watched every one of these movies.  Those damn helicopter shots I never noticed till drone footage but now its soooo baaaad.  The director did an 'ok' job but Stuart Rosenberg isn't quite in the same stratosphere as the rest on this list.

The good stuff.  The screenplay is one of the best and what elevates it is the unique subject matter.  I was blown away while watching and figured this is too good.  No one can jut 'come up' with the universe this script is set in and I was right, the screenwriter did time and new how things operated behind bars.  Donn Pearce was the principal screen writer to get credit and he should because its based on his life.  His life story is INCREDIBLE but not a direct match to Cool Hand.  In any event he took mental notes and wrote a book that never got legs.  What he created is awesome.  Carr (not Carl) the floor walker played to perfection by Clifton James, Arletta by Jo Van Fleet, Captian by Strother Martin, all of the bosses, before you even get to the prisoners.  Oh and who could forget that car wash'n temptress Lucille :wub:played by Joy Harmon who reminded me of THIS CONTESTANT on the Newlywed game.

  No one could just vamp that world, the linga franca 'You eyeballin Society?  Jes checking my yo-yo boss.'  Tiny little details of deliciousness.  It is such a good screenplay I wanted to put it first.  I flip flopped many times. 

1.  Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid 16 pts

Directed by George Roy Hill and written by William Goldman.  Just perfect.  I don't know what to say, just perfect.   

Starring Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross, Strother Martin.  So Newman and Katy Ross make the top-ten twice and Redford was 'supposed' get the Hoffman role in the Graduate but Nichols didn't think he could play a loser.  Redford chaffed so Nichols asked him if he ever had a girl turn him down and Redford replied.  'What do you mean?'  Nichols went for a more natural looking loser and chose Hoffman.  

I find this one of the most watchable movies of all-time.  Newman would argue with director George Roy Hill constantly and felt those long shots of the posse from a distance were all wrong.  Newman would later admit he was wrong long after Hill had passed.  This is the movie that made Redford a mega star.  Strother Martin also makes the list again and I love his bit part in this film.  I can't hear 'Sweet Betsy From Pike' without hearing his warbling.  The comedy may be broad, people may hate Raindrops and Roy Hill HATED that song but the audience ate it up. 

I fell in love with this movie years ago and researched the real outlaws and found I had crossed paths with some of their travels.  One place is Rock Springs Wyoming where a young Robert Leroy Parker found a job as a Butcher and coined the nickname of 'Butch'.  A really bad snowstorm killed off an entire year's worth of cattle and many cowhands found themselves out of work as Harry Longabaugh got caught rustling to survive and wound up in Sundance prison in Wyoming where he got his nickname.  The real Hole In The Wall is still their in northern Wyoming.  The Hole In The Wall gang became famous because of Butch who figured out that if he had fresh horses every 20 miles he could out run any posse and he was right.  That simple trick made him a ledged.  The first bank he robbed has a metal inscription of the date and time he robbed the bank.  The story of the Outlaw Trail has to be told sometime on film because that is fascinating and parts of it still exist.

Back on track.

The pacing, the chemistry that has never been beat in any buddy-buddy film in the history of cinema.  It is a pure delight so an anti-western makes the top film of the 1960s.  I can see Wick'd and Mrs. Ram doing projectile vomiting from a different time zone but I luv me sum Butch.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Paul Newman 1-2 punch scores big

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

The Paul Newman 1-2 punch scores big

Yes, and the Tribe just tied it up in the bottom of the Ninth, gotta go....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Yes, and the Tribe just tied it up in the bottom of the Ninth, gotta go....

Congrats on the W

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newman was so good in the 60s. I could argue he made 2 better movies in the 60s than Butch and Luke. It's that big of a stretch to say The Hustler and Hud are every bit as good. 

What cool names too- Butch Cassidy, Hud Buchanon, Fast Eddie Folsom, Cool Hand Luke Jackson. They all sound like they could have been the welterweight champion of the world. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one of my all time faves loses out to another one of my all time faves.  can’t complain.  nice job BS.

i can eat 50 eggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

If help needed for this, I could chip in. I think just a handful that I haven’t seen. 

Sounds good. We could collaborate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and cool hand Luke is soooooo good. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always associate Butch Cassidy with the 70s. It just feels like a 70s film (whereas Cool Hand Luke definitely has that 60s feel.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of Paul Newman, it's hard not to picture him riding the bike in Butch Cassidy with that mile wide grin.  :D

He's had so many memorable parts, but I still go back to that scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

When I think of Paul Newman, it's hard not to picture him riding the bike in Butch Cassidy with that mile wide grin.  :D

He's had so many memorable parts, but I still go back to that scene.

[Butch just rode with Etta on his bicycle]

  • Sundance Kid: Hey, what are you doin'?

Butch Cassidy: Stealin' your woman?

  • Sundance Kid: [pause] Take her.

[sigh]

  • Sundance Kid: Take her.

Butch Cassidy: Well, you're a romantic bastard, I'll give you that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, if temptress Lucille had been salaciously sudsing a bicycle instead of an automobile, i take it Cool Hand Luke would have snagged the top spot

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

TOP THREE 60s

3.  The Apartment 14 pts

Its got three things I love in movies.  Billy Wilder directing, Billy Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond screenplay with Jack Lemmon and Shirley McClaine :wub:  at peek lovely/hotness. 

Wilder not only knew how to write scripts he had a few rules.  Spare use of voice over but he begins with a VO.  He said why use 12 pages of dialogue when 30 seconds of VO can do the same thing but don't tell the audience, show them and have them figure it out and that is why Jack Lemmon says he 'Has a problem and can't use his apartment.'  Billy shows us why and we hit the ground running.  Brilliant. 

Another Billy Wilder script writing rule, do the set up early and then come back around with the punchline later in the story.  We see this in many Wilder screenplays.  One of my all-time favorites is in 'Some Like It Hot' when Lemmon says in full drag to Marilyn Monroe while sniping at Tony Curtis that 'I bet he even has a BICYCLE!'  It stood out since it didn't fit the scene but later the comeback when Lemmon is stalling for time in drag with his male date when Curtis comes by riding a bicycle and he says astonished.  'He DOES have a bicycle.'  I crack up every time.  In the Apartment he sets up the ending when he has Lemmon tell the story about his suicide attempt with a gun and shows it to McClaine.  Later she's running to his apartment when... won't give away the obvious spoiler.  The way he gives his boss the broken mirror he found which sets up how he figured out the girl was McClaine.  Lots of other examples but it is gooooooood stuff.  Dare I say?  Wildereske?  I just luv it and eat it up with a fork and spoon.

What can you say about Wilder and Jack Lemmon?  Peas and carrots?  I adore their work together and with McClaine?  Chef's kiss.  Irma la Douce isn't on any AFI top-100 list but I LOVE IT!  It works for me.  In The Apartment the love triangle with Fred McMurray works, it just works.  The acting is great.  I have to mention the Doc next door neighbor played by Jack Kruschen, lovely character actor who is just right in this one.  

The score is nice, the story, the directing, the acting, its just damn good.

2.  Cool Hand Luke 15 pts

Torn between the top-two.  One thing about 60s films is the, um experimental camera work that can really detract but one thing we see in contemporary films is what?  DRONE FOOTAGE up the ying-yang.  What in the wild-wild world of sports does that have to do with Cool Hand Luke and 60 experimental camera use?  Well a lot of 60 films would set up a big shot to end a film which inevitable was a HELICOPTER SHOT that was shaky as hell and would kick up a ton of dust and it is really-REALLY distracting when you get used to the stable drone footage that is done by five year olds today.  It really stood out as I watched every one of these movies.  Those damn helicopter shots I never noticed till drone footage but now its soooo baaaad.  The director did an 'ok' job but Stuart Rosenberg isn't quite in the same stratosphere as the rest on this list.

The good stuff.  The screenplay is one of the best and what elevates it is the unique subject matter.  I was blown away while watching and figured this is too good.  No one can jut 'come up' with the universe this script is set in and I was right, the screenwriter did time and new how things operated behind bars.  Donn Pearce was the principal screen writer to get credit and he should because its based on his life.  His life story is INCREDIBLE but not a direct match to Cool Hand.  In any event he took mental notes and wrote a book that never got legs.  What he created is awesome.  Carr (not Carl) the floor walker played to perfection by Clifton James, Arletta by Jo Van Fleet, Captian by Strother Martin, all of the bosses, before you even get to the prisoners.  Oh and who could forget that car wash'n temptress Lucille :wub:played by Joy Harmon who reminded me of THIS CONTESTANT on the Newlywed game.

  No one could just vamp that world, the linga franca 'You eyeballin Society?  Jes checking my yo-yo boss.'  Tiny little details of deliciousness.  It is such a good screenplay I wanted to put it first.  I flip flopped many times. 

1.  Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid 16 pts

Directed by George Roy Hill and written by William Goldman.  Just perfect.  I don't know what to say, just perfect.   

Starring Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross, Strother Martin.  So Newman and Katy Ross make the top-ten twice and Redford was 'supposed' get the Hoffman role in the Graduate but Nichols didn't think he could play a loser.  Redford chaffed so Nichols asked him if he ever had a girl turn him down and Redford replied.  'What do you mean?'  Nichols went for a more natural looking loser and chose Hoffman.  

I find this one of the most watchable movies of all-time.  Newman would argue with director George Roy Hill constantly and felt those long shots of the posse from a distance were all wrong.  Newman would later admit he was wrong long after Hill had passed.  This is the movie that made Redford a mega star.  Strother Martin also makes the list again and I love his bit part in this film.  I can't hear 'Sweet Betsy From Pike' without hearing his warbling.  The comedy may be broad, people may hate Raindrops and Roy Hill HATED that song but the audience ate it up. 

I fell in love with this movie years ago and researched the real outlaws and found I had crossed paths with some of their travels.  One place is Rock Springs Wyoming where a young Robert Leroy Parker found a job as a Butcher and coined the nickname of 'Butch'.  A really bad snowstorm killed off an entire year's worth of cattle and many cowhands found themselves out of work as Harry Longabaugh got caught rustling to survive and wound up in Sundance prison in Wyoming where he got his nickname.  The real Hole In The Wall is still their in northern Wyoming.  The Hole In The Wall gang became famous because of Butch who figured out that if he had fresh horses every 20 miles he could out run any posse and he was right.  That simple trick made him a ledged.  The first bank he robbed has a metal inscription of the date and time he robbed the bank.  The story of the Outlaw Trail has to be told sometime on film because that is fascinating and parts of it still exist.

Back on track.

The pacing, the chemistry that has never been beat in any buddy-buddy film in the history of cinema.  It is a pure delight so an anti-western makes the top film of the 1960s.  I can see Wick'd and Mrs. Ram doing projectile vomiting from a different time zone but I luv me sum Butch.

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, Zow said:

Sorry guys. Work has been insane the last couple of weeks. I still intend on judging the 2000s category. However, I regret that I may not be able to watch the movies I haven't seen in the courtroom drama category and do service to judging it. Does somebody else want to do courtroom dramas?

I figured you do the courtroom stuff in your sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gally said:

I figured you do the courtroom stuff in your sleep.

Oh I do. Unfortunately hollywood screws it up. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zow said:

Oh I do. Unfortunately hollywood screws it up. 

Well then you need to set them straight by judging the category...hahah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zow said:
9 hours ago, Gally said:

I figured you do the courtroom stuff in your sleep.

Oh I do. Unfortunately hollywood screws it up. 

You mean Marisa Tomei isn't on every witness list?  Drat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

You mean Marisa Tomei isn't on every witness list?  Drat.

IIRC that actually is his top courtroom movie.  Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

When I think of Paul Newman, it's hard not to picture him riding the bike in Butch Cassidy with that mile wide grin.  :D

He's had so many memorable parts, but I still go back to that scene.

I was so close to raindrops for my original song.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 1:07 AM, timschochet said:

I always associate Butch Cassidy with the 70s. It just feels like a 70s film (whereas Cool Hand Luke definitely has that 60s feel.) 

When I hear THIS  from the soundtrack it is so 60s that I see, love beads, mini skirts, lava lamps, and Twiggy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

When I hear THIS  from the soundtrack it is so 60s that I see, love beads, mini skirts, lava lamps, and Twiggy.  

Not to me. I always associate Bacharach with Carpenters and early 70s. But his early hits were late 60s, it’s true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

When I hear THIS  from the soundtrack it is so 60s that I see, love beads, mini skirts, lava lamps, and Twiggy.  

Yeah, Butch Cassidy is definitely a 60s movie both in it being factually made in the 1960s and in it's feel IMO. The only 70s thing about it is Redford. Other than that, it's far more whimsical and big studio Hollywood feel fora 70s movie. There were movies made like that in the 70s (see The Sting) but that decade is much more about gritty, raw and more independent feeling movies The French Connection or Dog Day Afternoon. The late 60s movie that feels like a 70s movie is Midnight Cowboy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Starting Cool Hand Luke now. The expectations are high.

any man who doesn’t like Cool Hand Luke spends a night in the box

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick reached out to tell me to tell you all to invert his last list. You can flip it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tolstoy said:

any man who doesn’t like Cool Hand Luke spends a night in the box

For some reason I thought this was a western. Imagine my surprise that it was completely different that what I expected. I did like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

When I hear THIS  from the soundtrack it is so 60s that I see, love beads, mini skirts, lava lamps, and Twiggy.  

And that's a large part of why it's unwatchable.  The music is just terrible in an elevator hell sort of way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.