What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

How many categories are left?  I think we are on pace for one category reveal a week. 

ETA:  By my count I think we have 7 categories left:

• 2000's
  • Comedy
  • Courtroom
  • Fantasy
  • Sci Fi on Earth
  • Leading Actor
  • GOAT

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Mrs R that I didn’t care for Butch Cassidy when I saw it. Since then I’ve read more about Goldman and the making of it. I want to give it another shot.

I agree with Mrs R that I didn’t care for Butch Cassidy when I saw it. Since then I’ve read more about Goldman and the making of it. I want to give it another shot.
I liked it - which is saying sumn cuz i'm not a Westerns guy - but this is just when TV was starting tell us what to just absolutely love, must see, gotta go. BC&SK was one those early mediapimpings and i was all BFD about that. Buddy pictures were new & kinda fun, but not necessarily any big thing.

Standings through 43 Categories (7 left to go):

1. ilov80s--434
  2. tuffnutt--404
  3. triplemania--385
  4. joffer--384
  5. Dr. Octopus--381
  6. higgins--373
  7. Andy Dufresne--370
  8. Doug B--369
  9. Karma Police--362
  10. EYLive--359
  11. jwb--356
  12. mphtrilogy--341
  13. Gally Steiner--337
  14. TheWinz--337
  15. timschochet--331
  16. Mrs. Rannous--304

Standings through 43 Categories (7 left to go):

1. ilov80s--434
  2. tuffnutt--404
  3. triplemania--385
  4. joffer--384
  5. Dr. Octopus--381
  6. higgins--373
  7. Andy Dufresne--370
  8. Doug B--369
  9. Karma Police--362
  10. EYLive--359
  11. jwb--356
  12. mphtrilogy--341
  13. Gally Steiner--337
  14. TheWinz--337
  15. timschochet--331
  16. Mrs. Rannous--304
At least we are still above Timmy....

ETA:  Also still holding tight with a -24 value thus far.  I think we have an outside shot at getting to -30 with two categories we picked the 4th off the board.  But it will be tough with a 15 and a 16 still left.  Those may offset.  That leaves a 12 and two 9's.  It really is anybody's guess at this point.

Was it a case of not meeting your expectations or was it just below average (for any film) for you?

Was it a case of not meeting your expectations or was it just below average (for any film) for you?
Both actually. I had high hopes since it's quite a famous movie, I'm a fan of Westerns and I love Redford and Newman. So at first, I was just disappointed but as it went on, I really found myself struggling to pay attention. And the bike scene happened and I was like "WTF". Maybe I was just not in the right mood, I am not sure. 

Comedy

The (Un)Scientific Scoring Methodology:

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

2.      I took the average of their rankings to help create an initial tier.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Does it belong in this category? They all have a portion that takes place in space, so yeah.

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

PLEASE NOTE: I've been pressed for time and clearly running out of steam in my write-ups. At this late juncture, I'm not sure if anyone cares.

The movies listed here are all great comedic films in their own right. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember, whatever you think . . .

I fart in your general direction!

16. There’s Something About Mary (1 pt.)

Though I’ll always have a soft spot for this movie, and some of its slapstick is indeed timeless, after sliding in the dvd (I owned it on VHS, too) I realized it hasn’t aged very well. Love the cast, Jonathan Richman, and the film overall, but it’s difficult for me to put above the rest of this list. Sure, it’s great, but not good enough.

15. It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World (2 pts)

Massive and awesome cast, packed with a LOT of hilarious moments, but also some groaners. I first saw this one rainy Sunday when I was stoned to the bejeesus in college, so I forgot how long it is—and it feels overly long too. I hate to say it’s dated—because I’ll be using that quite a bit—but it simply is, and it’s VERY uneven. They threw everything but the kitchen sink into this, but they threw in too much.

14. Spaceballs (3 pts)

For me, it’s one of Mel Brooks’ weaker films—certainly compared to others listed here—though it’s still more entertaining than roughly 50% of the ACTUAL Star Wars movies. That said, while I grew up on this, time hasn’t really added depth or dimension to the humor; the lines and gags are great, but once you’ve seen it a couple of times, there’s not much else to see. So here it sits. But man, l miss John Candy.

13. Jojo Rabbit (4 pts)

I love this film, and have probably seen it three or four times since opening weekend at the theater last year. It’s easily one of my favorite films of the last year. But, while it gets top marks in the absurdist comedy or satire category, I’m finding it difficult to rank highly here. For all the laughs of the Nazi Youth camp, Yorki, Capt. Klenzendorf, etc., there is a tremendous amount of sadness and melancholy packed in it. Like some of Taika’s other works, or the films of Wes Anderson, it’s so much more than a comedy, so it’s kinda getting dinged for being too difficult to categorize. I think the filmmaker would be okay with that, though, even if the drafter isn’t.

Comedy

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Does it belong in this category? They all have a portion that takes place in space, so yeah.

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

PLEASE NOTE: I've been pressed for time and clearly running out of steam in my write-ups. At this late juncture, I'm not sure if anyone cares.

The movies listed here are all great comedic films in their own right. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember, whatever you think . . .

Though I’ll always have a soft spot for this movie, and some of its slapstick is indeed timeless, after sliding in the dvd (I owned it on VHS, too) I realized it hasn’t aged very well. Love the cast, Jonathan Richman, and the film overall, but it’s difficult for me to put above the rest of this list. Sure, it’s great, but not good enough.

Massive and awesome cast, packed with a LOT of hilarious moments, but also some groaners. I first saw this one rainy Sunday when I was stoned to the bejeesus in college, so I forgot how long it is—and it feels overly long too. I hate to say it’s dated—because I’ll be using that quite a bit—but it simply is, and it’s VERY uneven. They threw everything but the kitchen sink into this, but they threw in too much.

14. Spaceballs (3 pts)

For me, it’s one of Mel Brooks’ weaker films—certainly compared to others listed here—though it’s still more entertaining than roughly 50% of the ACTUAL Star Wars movies. That said, while I grew up on this, time hasn’t really added depth or dimension to the humor; the lines and gags are great, but once you’ve seen it a couple of times, there’s not much else to see. So here it sits. But man, l miss John Candy.

13. Jojo Rabbit (4 pts)

I love this film, and have probably seen it three or four times since opening weekend at the theater last year. It’s easily one of my favorite films of the last year. But, while it gets top marks in the absurdist comedy or satire category, I’m finding it difficult to rank highly here. For all the laughs of the Nazi Youth camp, Yorki, Capt. Klenzendorf, etc., there is a tremendous amount of sadness and melancholy packed in it. Like some of Taika’s other works, or the films of Wes Anderson, it’s so much more than a comedy, so it’s kinda getting dinged for being too difficult to categorize. I think the filmmaker would be okay with that, though, even if the drafter isn’t.
12. Bringing Up Baby (5 pts)

I don’t feel particularly awesome placing this generational touchstone so low in the ranking, but then, I only saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. It’s a beautifully scripted and acted screwball comedy, and clearly a massive influence over the films that followed. I really enjoyed it as an all-around film, but its comedy, after 80-plus years, didn’t resonate as well with my first-time watch because of all the movies I’ve seen that have taken from it.

11. Fargo (6 pts)

Similar to a few others, this “dark comedy thriller” is a dark horse in this category. I love it as an all-around film—and it should be among the best films made in the last 30 – 40 years, but it’s much more than a comedy, and I just don’t love it in this category. 

10. Life of Brian (7 pts)

There are people who will suggest this is the funniest of Monty Python’s films. Those people are incorrect, but only slightly. It’s more tightly structured than some of the troupe’s other work, and has some amazing, ridiculous moments, but I can’t rank it higher than what’s coming—as a standalone film, as an example of the Python’s work, Mel Brooks, or some of the other classics.

9. Some Like It Hot (8 pts)

Hilarious and very edgy—for the 50s—it’s a great film with a great cast and a lot of laughs. Marilyn didn’t get enough credit for her comedic skills. I would have loved to rank this higher, but couldn't, so didn't.

Comedy

14. Spaceballs (3 pts)

13. Jojo Rabbit (4 pts)

I don’t feel particularly awesome placing this generational touchstone so low in the ranking, but then, I only saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. It’s a beautifully scripted and acted screwball comedy, and clearly a massive influence over the films that followed. I really enjoyed it as an all-around film, but its comedy, after 80-plus years, didn’t resonate as well with my first-time watch because of all the movies I’ve seen that have taken from it.

11. Fargo (6 pts)

Similar to a few others, this “dark comedy thriller” is a dark horse in this category. I love it as an all-around film—and it should be among the best films made in the last 30 – 40 years, but it’s much more than a comedy, and I just don’t love it in this category. 

There are people who will suggest this is the funniest of Monty Python’s films. Those people are incorrect, but only slightly. It’s more tightly structured than some of the troupe’s other work, and has some amazing, ridiculous moments, but I can’t rank it higher than what’s coming—as a standalone film, as an example of the Python’s work, Mel Brooks, or some of the other classics.

Hilarious and very edgy—for the 50s—it’s a great film with a great cast and a lot of laughs. Marilyn didn’t get enough credit for her comedic skills. I would have loved to rank this higher, but couldn't, so didn't.
8. The Jerk (9 pts)

I wish I could rank this higher, but I can’t. So stupid. So awesome. The start of mean comedy? Yay!

7.  Airplane! (10 pts)

Airplane pretty much created its own sub-genre of comedy film, and we’re all better for it. Further, there are several people who should’ve won Oscars for a specific work, and today I’ll choose Lloyd Bridges for this.

6.  Trading Places (11 pts)

Totally 80s, and totally awesome. So many great performances throughout, TP brings Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd together at their best. Man, I love this flick.

5. Caddyshack (12 pts)

An amazing film in which every single line of dialogue is a gag. Easily one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled.

Comedy

14. Spaceballs (3 pts)

13. Jojo Rabbit (4 pts)

11. Fargo (6 pts)

8. The Jerk (9 pts)

I wish I could rank this higher, but I can’t. So stupid. So awesome. The start of mean comedy? Yay!

7.  Airplane! (10 pts)

Airplane pretty much created its own sub-genre of comedy film, and we’re all better for it. Further, there are several people who should’ve won Oscars for a specific work, and today I’ll choose Lloyd Bridges for this.

Totally 80s, and totally awesome. So many great performances throughout, TP brings Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd together at their best. Man, I love this flick.

5. Caddyshack (12 pts)

An amazing film in which every single line of dialogue is a gag. Easily one of the best ensemble casts ever assembled.

4. Animal House (13 pts)

I mean, college . . . every movie with aspirations to comedy and college-aged characters has tried to copy and surpass this film for 40 years, and all have failed miserably.

3. Young Frankenstein (14pts)

I love this film so much. Not only is it hilarious, it’s a beautifully crafted all-around film that makes it clear it belongs in this category, and it means to rule the genre. Terrific.

2. Blazing Saddles (15 pts)

So much Mel!

“We don't care if it’s the First Act of Henry the Fifth! We're leaving!” Even Mel Brooks admitted he went too far with this movie, and that's why it's awesome. And Madeline Kahn is a treasure.

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (16 pts)

“That rabbit is dynamite!” In the summer of ’91, a friend gave me his VHS copy of this film, and I watched all or parts of it nearly every day for weeks after. Insanely smart, smartly insane, this is the best of the very best Monty Python, and is my favorite comedic film ever made.

4. Animal House (13 pts)

I mean, college . . . every movie with aspirations to comedy and college-aged characters has tried to copy and surpass this film for 40 years, and all have failed miserably.

I love this film so much. Not only is it hilarious, it’s a beautifully crafted all-around film that makes it clear it belongs in this category, and it means to rule the genre. Terrific.

So much Mel!

“We don't care if it’s the First Act of Henry the Fifth! We're leaving!” Even Mel Brooks admitted he went too far with this movie, and that's why it's awesome. And Madeline Kahn is a treasure.

“That rabbit is dynamite!” In the summer of ’91, a friend gave me his VHS copy of this film, and I watched all or parts of it nearly every day for weeks after. Insanely smart, smartly insane, this is the best of the very best Monty Python, and is my favorite comedic film ever made.
Life of Brian is better...

none the less great work Kumerica!

Just goes to show my disconnect with what most consider funny.  I think 3 of the top 4 are painfully unfunny.  

ETA:  Just saw # 5.  Might as well make that 4 of the top 5.  

@Kumerica, I'm wondering how Raising Arizona, Best In Show, and/or Waiting for Guffman might have rated?  

ETA:  Great job as always.  I'm curious about these since they're my favorites (along with various Steve Martin movies)

Just goes to show my disconnect with what most consider funny.  I think 3 of the top 4 are painfully unfunny.  

ETA:  Just saw # 5.  Might as well make that 4 of the top 5.  
I think comedy is pretty subjective, in general. Tough one to rank and I’m sure everyone’s lists would be different.

Some Like It Hot would have been my #1 with a bullet of the films here.

@Kumerica, I'm wondering how Raising Arizona, Best In Show, and/or Waiting for Guffman might have rated?  

ETA:  Great job as always.  I'm curious about these since they're my favorites (along with various Steve Martin movies)
RA and WfG in the Top 7 or 8 for sure, BiS likely in the Top 12 (higher if WfG was not also selected).

I think comedy is pretty subjective, in general. Tough one to rank and I’m sure everyone’s lists would be different.

Some Like It Hot would have been my #1 with a bullet of the films here.
Yeah, very subjective. Some Like It Hot (and others) simply rated lower for me because the 8 above it are so embedded into the DNA of my life, experience, and personality that if King Solomon tried judging my Top 8 I’d be hanged for regicide.

4. Animal House (13 pts)

So much Mel!

Great rankings - all the way through.  

RA and WfG in the Top 7 or 8 for sure, BiS likely in the Top 12 (higher if WfG was not also selected).
I wonder how any of the Pink Panther movies would have ranked.  Team GallStein didn't really consider them but they are favorites of mine.

ETA:  Happy with where our selection of Trading Places landed.  I might have had it up a couple places but maybe not.  I would have it about the same place.

i'd maybe swap Fargo & Trading Places, did not like Animal House being so high but must acquiesce to your point, but a damn fine list. Glad to see Some Like It Hot properly weighted, but It's just not a proper comedy list without a Marx Bros anywhere

Which is the one that you think is funny?
There's a couple I haven't seen or seen in years (Bringing up Baby and The Jerk).  To answer your question - Holy Grail.   Looking further at the list there are only 5 that I would laugh at on the list - Grail, Brian, Some Like it Hot (the last two would be my 1 and 2 if judging), Trading Places, and my pick.   

Well, I laugh a bit at Fargo too, but it's not a comedy.  ;)  

Gally said:
I wonder how any of the Pink Panther movies would have ranked.  Team GallStein didn't really consider them but they are favorites of mine.

ETA:  Happy with where our selection of Trading Places landed.  I might have had it up a couple places but maybe not.  I would have it about the same place.
Re: Pink Panther, I'm not really sure--I haven't seen any of them since I was a kid, maybe high school at the latest. They were always favorites of, say, my older cousins. Might need to throw those in this fall and watch with fresh eyes. 

Comedy was another really loaded category.

Overall, the rankings look very good.

Caddyshack is the one that seems too high for me. It has some great moments, but also has a lot of dull time, too. I noticed this when I went back and watched it again.

Animal House, Airplane and Holy Grail would be my top 3.

Re: Pink Panther, I'm not really sure--I haven't seen any of them since I was a kid, maybe high school at the latest. They were always favorites of, say, my older cousins. Might need to throw those in this fall and watch with fresh eyes. 
I think it's definitely a specific taste as to whether it's funny or not.  My dad and I laugh hysterically at them but my wife and kids look at us like we are nuts.   It is the kind of movie/comedy that is better watching in groups of like comedy minded people.  Watching by yourself it loses something...….which I think is the same for most comedy.  It's better to share in groups.  It almost makes whatever comedy it is "funnier" when you share it. 

For example, Dumb and Dumber...…..I watched the movie for the first time by myself and it was fine.  I chuckled at times but overall thought it was ok.  But talking about it after with friends it led to a lot more laughter and quotable items that made the movie better.  I think Pink Panther movies are similar to that. 

Kumerica said:

Great pick @Charlie Steiner for team GallStein.  It was a favorite of each of us but nice suggestion.  Although, it is hurting our overall quest for a -30 value rating as this was a +6 and has knocked us all the way down to -18 total value points.  We still have some big potential with a couple of 4th off the board picks remaining......

Also, this was a nice bounceback for @Kumerica in the Team GallStein judges rankings as it jumped him out of last place (of judges with 3 or more categories judged) with a 5 ppc value over three categories (1,3, & 11).  There may be hope yet of a Team GallStein comeback...hahahah

Hush, you. 

;)  
Seems it was part of the Coens learning curve. i'm guessing they recognized but didnt understand the comic elements in their early work, so they separated comedy & drama like egg whites & yolks in a souffle. did Raising Arizona very broadly so they knew what they were working with, lightened the darkness of Miller's Crossing with what they'd learned. Kinda lost their way w Fink & Hudsucker, so decided to go broad again w Fargo & Lebowski and, once they'd learned how to get both whites & yolks equally frothy, spent the rest of their careers folding one into the other

ETA: best icon yet!

Great pick @Charlie Steiner for team GallStein.  It was a favorite of each of us but nice suggestion.  Although, it is hurting our overall quest for a -30 value rating as this was a +6 and has knocked us all the way down to -18 total value points.  We still have some big potential with a couple of 4th off the board picks remaining......

Also, this was a nice bounceback for @Kumerica in the Team GallStein judges rankings as it jumped him out of last place (of judges with 3 or more categories judged) with a 5 ppc value over three categories (1,3, & 11).  There may be hope yet of a Team GallStein comeback...hahahah
I thought Trading Places was your suggestion.

At this point, I'll be happy if we finish above our spot in the draft order.

I forget which one it was, but the scene where he's showing off on the parallel bars (can't link youtube at work) is still one of the most singularly funniest scenes ever to me.

I contemplated going with one of them for our comedy pick, would be interesting to see how it would have held up with the judges, as well as Blake Edwards in the director category.  I'm sure he would have gotten smoked but couldn't have done much worse than Cecil B. DeMille.

I forget which one it was, but the scene where he's showing off on the parallel bars (can't link youtube at work) is still one of the most singularly funniest scenes ever to me.

I contemplated going with one of them for our comedy pick, would be interesting to see how it would have held up with the judges, as well as Blake Edwards in the director category.  I'm sure he would have gotten smoked but couldn't have done much worse than Cecil B. DeMille.
I’m a huge Pink Panther/Sellers fan. A Shot in the Dark one of my top 5 favorite comedies.  

I’d have given Edwards a couple more points than DeMille, as I think Edwards’ films hold up much better than DeMille’s. Probably not a tier change though (I don’t think I could put him above someone like Huston, for example).

The director that went undrafted that left the most points on the board from me was Frank Capra.

I’m a huge Pink Panther/Sellers fan. A Shot in the Dark one of my top 5 favorite comedies.  

I’d have given Edwards a couple more points than DeMille, as I think Edwards’ films hold up much better than DeMille’s. Probably not a tier change though (I don’t think I could put him above someone like Huston, for example).

The director that went undrafted that left the most points on the board from me was Frank Capra.
One of the things I like about Edwards was that his 'style' seemed more accessible than artsy, if that makes sense, like he was winking at you just before a gag.  Take the one I mentioned before, when Clouseau was on the parallel bars: his back is to the camera so have to imagine the look on his face as he goes from the bars to down the staircase, and from what we know about Clouseau, we infer that he is completely serious and completely oblivious to the impending disaster. To me, that makes it even funnier. In A Shot in the Dark, the car chase builds to a ridiculous crescendo, and the crazy part is that we have seen it coming all along.

Users who are viewing this thread