What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Sorry for the delay. Eddie Van Halen died and I was inconsolable, listening to VH music, trying to remember how to play riffs, etc. When I looked up, it was later than I wanted to post.

Science Fiction On Earth

The (Un)Scientific Scoring Methodology:

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

2.      I took the average of their rankings to help create an initial tier.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Does it belong in this category? 

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

The movies listed here are all great films in their own rights. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember, whatever you think . . .

​

I make this look good.

16. Independence Day (1 pt.)

I remember seeing this for the first time in the theater. As the credits began to roll, my friend turned to me and said, “It was bad, but I liked it.” And that kind of sums it up for me. It was a 90s popcorn-and-Cherry Coke summer blockbuster. Poop, yes, but fun poop.

15. The Fly (2 pts)

Do You Have Room?

14. Men In Black (3 pts)

I feel kinda bad for ranking this film so low, I remember enjoying it a lot and it was tremendous fun. But when I rewatch it now, I just don’t enjoy it as much. It could be that it feels too much like a cartoon, or a a kids’ movie . . . I don’t know. More likely is that I’ve simply become jaded by the Will Smith swagger, particularly from this era, apparently.

13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (4 pts)

Cold War paranoia at its finest, this movie was a template for many a SciFi horror trope, but not necessarily for the positive. It’s a classic, to be sure, but a classic B-movie that my rewatch only hindered and did not help. Sorry, drafter.
12. Arrival (5 pts)

Recency bias may have this a bit lower than some might expect, but it feels right to me. There’s not a lot to complain about—the production design is stand-out fantastic—and the overall plot, alien intentions, narrative style, flash forwards, etc. are all woven together nicely. I really liked this movie, in the theater, as well as a few rewatches, but with each viewing I was constantly left feeling as though it’s a well-executed composite of things I’d already seen, and that I wanted it to be better.

11. Robocop (6 pts)

1980s Detroit, baby! It’s not a particularly high ranking for this classic, but that could be because it’s dated . . . or because it’s feeling a bit too real now. That said, I still love it, and will always watch it when it’s on, I just can’t rank it higher than the others above it.

10. Ex-Machina (7 pts)

The conversations we have when Science Fiction steps into Science Fact. The production design on this is stellar, the film is tight overall, and the actors are all aces. It’s quiet and meditative, leaning on its script and the nuances of its actors to carry it through—this is its strength, as well as its weakness in terms of ranking. As much as I liked it, in a scenario similar to Arrival, it didn’t resonate long-term with me as much as the films above it (or even some of those below it). Still, a small but mighty film with vision. The lesson? Be nice to your appliances.

9. Snowpiercer (8 pts)

My first Bong Joon-ho film, I saw this at the theater and, over the 7 years since, have been insisting to friends that they watch this movie. Liked Okja? Man, you need to see Snowpiercer! Loved Parasite? Yeah, you can see more of his class-based awesomeness in Snowpiercer, which really brought him to the fore! I’ve seen this several times, and although a rewatch in this case wasn’t necessary, I did it anyway. It’s grim, but I love it. I wish I could rank it higher, but there are some classics, surprises, and sentimental choices ahead of it. Still, a worthy contender.

I strongly disagree on the Snowpiercer ranking though. That was maybe the biggest flop in the FBG movie club. 
I didn’t even finish it. Not that it was terrible but I just didn’t find it all that compelling and felt I was just wasting time.

Ex Maxhina was my other choice with Body Snatchers so no loss there. I strongly disagree on the Snowpiercer ranking though. That was maybe the biggest flop in the FBG movie club. 
i LOVED it

FBG Movie Club 2/26:

Snowpiercer - Ugh. Stillborn exposition mired in the stultifying logic of zombieverse melodrama. Orwell might have regretted writing if he knew this was how it would be borrowed. The cinematic equivalent of a Rush tribute band. 

Sorry for the delay. Eddie Van Halen died and I was inconsolable, listening to VH music, trying to remember how to play riffs, etc. When I looked up, it was later than I wanted to post.

Science Fiction On Earth

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

The movies listed here are all great films in their own rights. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember, whatever you think . . .

​

I make this look good.

I remember seeing this for the first time in the theater. As the credits began to roll, my friend turned to me and said, “It was bad, but I liked it.” And that kind of sums it up for me. It was a 90s popcorn-and-Cherry Coke summer blockbuster. Poop, yes, but fun poop.

15. The Fly (2 pts)

Do You Have Room?

14. Men In Black (3 pts)

I feel kinda bad for ranking this film so low, I remember enjoying it a lot and it was tremendous fun. But when I rewatch it now, I just don’t enjoy it as much. It could be that it feels too much like a cartoon, or a a kids’ movie . . . I don’t know. More likely is that I’ve simply become jaded by the Will Smith swagger, particularly from this era, apparently.

Cold War paranoia at its finest, this movie was a template for many a SciFi horror trope, but not necessarily for the positive. It’s a classic, to be sure, but a classic B-movie that my rewatch only hindered and did not help. Sorry, drafter.

12. Arrival (5 pts)

Recency bias may have this a bit lower than some might expect, but it feels right to me. There’s not a lot to complain about—the production design is stand-out fantastic—and the overall plot, alien intentions, narrative style, flash forwards, etc. are all woven together nicely. I really liked this movie, in the theater, as well as a few rewatches, but with each viewing I was constantly left feeling as though it’s a well-executed composite of things I’d already seen, and that I wanted it to be better.

11. Robocop (6 pts)

1980s Detroit, baby! It’s not a particularly high ranking for this classic, but that could be because it’s dated . . . or because it’s feeling a bit too real now. That said, I still love it, and will always watch it when it’s on, I just can’t rank it higher than the others above it.

10. Ex-Machina (7 pts)

The conversations we have when Science Fiction steps into Science Fact. The production design on this is stellar, the film is tight overall, and the actors are all aces. It’s quiet and meditative, leaning on its script and the nuances of its actors to carry it through—this is its strength, as well as its weakness in terms of ranking. As much as I liked it, in a scenario similar to Arrival, it didn’t resonate long-term with me as much as the films above it (or even some of those below it). Still, a small but mighty film with vision. The lesson? Be nice to your appliances.

9. Snowpiercer (8 pts)

My first Bong Joon-ho film, I saw this at the theater and, over the 7 years since, have been insisting to friends that they watch this movie. Liked Okja? Man, you need to see Snowpiercer! Loved Parasite? Yeah, you can see more of his class-based awesomeness in Snowpiercer, which really brought him to the fore! I’ve seen this several times, and although a rewatch in this case wasn’t necessary, I did it anyway. It’s grim, but I love it. I wish I could rank it higher, but there are some classics, surprises, and sentimental choices ahead of it. Still, a worthy contender.
8. Planet of the Apes (9 pts)

For me, its reputation exceeds it. It’s a classic, sure—its influence and place in popular culture is forever secured which, frankly, is why I gave it so many points. But, after my first watch in 30+ years, I decided that while it’s definitely entertaining and cute, that’s about all.

7.  The Prestige (10 pts)

This film (and the next one) were very difficult to rank, because on their faces, they aren’t in the proper category. But, although the “science” of the science fiction is not overt, without it, their plots could not move forward and there would be no story. Case in point: The Prestige, one of my favorite Nolan films, though underrated and underseen. A mystery, a thriller, a period drama, its place in time and the almost steam-punk vibe of its scientific characteristics give it an H.G. Wells quality. The writing, the direction, the production design? Phenomenal. The cast? Aces, all. And big ups for an excellent David Bowie as Tesla.

6.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (11 pts)

The Prestige and ESotSM were two of my favorite movies of the 00s, which is why they rank higher with me than they might with others in this category. If you saw a basic logline for this film, you might think it sounds stupid. But, with Charlie Kaufman’s odd and heartfelt script, director Michel Gondry’s artistic and technical wizardry, and the beautifully understated performances of Carrey, Winslet, & Co, this movie is sublime.

5. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (12 pts)

Post-apocalyptic landscapes have always fascinated me (and this is the standard). Thanks, Cold War!  Seriously, not a lot to write here because it’s just terrific, well-done fun. So great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Science Fiction On Earth

​

I make this look good.

15. The Fly (2 pts)

Do You Have Room?

14. Men In Black (3 pts)

12. Arrival (5 pts)

11. Robocop (6 pts)

10. Ex-Machina (7 pts)

9. Snowpiercer (8 pts)

8. Planet of the Apes (9 pts)

For me, its reputation exceeds it. It’s a classic, sure—its influence and place in popular culture is forever secured which, frankly, is why I gave it so many points. But, after my first watch in 30+ years, I decided that while it’s definitely entertaining and cute, that’s about all.

7.  The Prestige (10 pts)

This film (and the next one) were very difficult to rank, because on their faces, they aren’t in the proper category. But, although the “science” of the science fiction is not overt, without it, their plots could not move forward and there would be no story. Case in point: The Prestige, one of my favorite Nolan films, though underrated and underseen. A mystery, a thriller, a period drama, its place in time and the almost steam-punk vibe of its scientific characteristics give it an H.G. Wells quality. The writing, the direction, the production design? Phenomenal. The cast? Aces, all. And big ups for an excellent David Bowie as Tesla.

6.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (11 pts)

The Prestige and ESotSM were two of my favorite movies of the 00s, which is why they rank higher with me than they might with others in this category. If you saw a basic logline for this film, you might think it sounds stupid. But, with Charlie Kaufman’s odd and heartfelt script, director Michel Gondry’s artistic and technical wizardry, and the beautifully understated performances of Carrey, Winslet, & Co, this movie is sublime.

5. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (12 pts)

Post-apocalyptic landscapes have always fascinated me (and this is the standard). Thanks, Cold War!  Seriously, not a lot to write here because it’s just terrific, well-done fun. So great.

4. Metropolis (13 pts)

I’ll be the first to admit that I frequently underestimate old timers when it comes to films, and maybe I still am with this movie. After all, not only did Metropolis damn-near introduce the world to the sci-fi/futurist film genre, but it pioneered a wide-range of movie making techniques that are taught and used today. So beautiful and technically ahead of its time. From a story/narrative perspective, however, it is pretty bananas, and that weakness allows it to climb no higher. Also, I just adore the other movies more.

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (14pts)

Yes, it could be considered slow moving or sappy at times, but damn is it expertly crafted and executed. A slow-burn thriller that keeps its feet in the dirt mound and it’s ambitions beyond the stratosphere, Close Encounters took a very different path than most of the alien invasion films before it and delivered an almost perfect Sci Fi Comes to Earth film. So good.

2. The Terminator (15 pts)

I’ve seen The Terminator way too many times to be surprised by anything in this movie. So, for my rewatch of this, I had to try extra hard to pretend I’d never seen it before. Sometimes that approach works well, sometimes not. In this case, it wasn’t easy, but it did briefly highlight something I’d long forgotten over the years: that it could be scary as hell. When the future comes to the past and tries to kill you, RUN. And, by all means, have unprotected sex with an unwashed stranger who’s wearing a drifter’s clothes. Seriously, though, this is one of my all-time favorite movies of any genre, so I could never rank it too much lower.

1. Blade Runner (16 pts)

We can argue about different cuts, versions, editions, etc., but it’s still one of the best damn sci-fi flicks of all time. Its pacing can drag sometimes, but everything else about it is just amazing.

That's a great question and I did wrestle with it briefly. Ultimately, I figured most post-apocalypse movies tend to be categorized as a sub-genre of Science Fiction, so I let it stand.
That's how I see it too. It was usually in that section in video stores. Although they could be action too. 

Fair rank on my pick (Metropolis). The story is a little out there. Especially the old versions where big parts of it were thought lost/missing.

I remember really liking the Prestige a lot but wasn’t the “science” aspect ultimately a hoax?

I have no idea how that really qualifies for this category. Not complaining about the rankings (my movie was ahead of it), I’m just a little baffled by the category choice.

I remember really liking the Prestige a lot but wasn’t the “science” aspect ultimately a hoax?

I have no idea how that really qualifies for this category. Not complaining about the rankings (my movie was ahead of it), I’m just a little baffled by the category choice.
He was cloning himself - I’d say a movie which has a major plot line of cloning qualifies for Sci-Fi.  Also, IMDB and other online sources have Sci-Fi as a genre for the movie. :shrug:  

He was cloning himself - I’d say a movie which has a major plot line of cloning qualifies for Sci-Fi.  Also, IMDB and other online sources have Sci-Fi as a genre for the movie. :shrug:  
Ok. I’m remembering it wrong then, as I thought that the reveal at the end was that he had a twin brother that was helping him make the audience think the were actually transporting him from box to box. Didn’t remember it was a clone - but it’s coming back now.

My bad.

Ok. I’m remembering it wrong then, as I thought that the reveal at the end was that he had a twin brother that was helping him make the audience think the were actually transporting him from box to box. Didn’t remember it was a clone - but it’s coming back now.

My bad.
You’re half right.

You’re half right.
which half?  :lmao:  - apparently I need to rewatch the movie.

ETA: I think it's coming back now. The transportation trick was his brother but he was cloning himself for the water tank trick (where he was letting them drown). I forgot all about that so yes there was a sci-fi element although not necessarily traditional sci-fi.

which half?  :lmao:  - apparently I need to rewatch the movie.

ETA: I think it's coming back now. The transportation trick was his brother but he was cloning himself for the water tank trick (where he was letting them drown). I forgot all about that so yes there was a sci-fi element although not necessarily traditional sci-fi.
You're forgetting a lot of that movie. I'd give it away, but would instead recommend you indeed give it a rewatch--it's really good.

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (14pts)

Yes, it could be considered slow moving or sappy at times, but damn is it expertly crafted and executed. A slow-burn thriller that keeps its feet in the dirt mound and it’s ambitions beyond the stratosphere, Close Encounters took a very different path than most of the alien invasion films before it and delivered an almost perfect Sci Fi Comes to Earth film. So good.
I just didn't get the hype on this movie.  Granted I saw it many years after it was released (probably saw it in the late 90's)  but it was totally boring and a waste of time in my opinion.  I had to fight to stay awake and I think I nodded off once or twice. 

I just didn't get the hype on this movie.  Granted I saw it many years after it was released (probably saw it in the late 90's)  but it was totally boring and a waste of time in my opinion.  I had to fight to stay awake and I think I nodded off once or twice. 
I kind of agree. It's pretty dull and the Roy character has a lot of problems that make it hard to root for the guy.

5 Categories to go!  @tuffnutt making a push for the Gold and Bronze is wide open. 

1. ilov80s--443
  2. tuffnutt--422
  3. Dr. Octopus--408
  4. triplemania--408
  5. higgins--403
  6. joffer--401
  7. Doug B--395
  8. jwb--384
  9. Andy Dufresne--382
  10. Karma Police--370
  11. EYLive--368
  12. mphtrilogy--361
  13. Gally Steiner--350
  14. timschochet--342
  15. TheWinz--341
  16. Mrs. Rannous--321

I've said many times that I think Close Encounters was Spielberg's cathartic jab at his dad for leaving the family.

"Dude, you were kind of a jerk and you must have been abducted by aliens or something..."

And I like lots of movies. I also dislike lots of movies. I am just pretty black and white about which bucket movies get placed into. Not many fall into the "just okay" category.

I love Close Encounters, great movie and interesting performances.   Haven't watched in a few years though, but I'm sure muscle memory will kick in and will love it again...

I've said many times that I think Close Encounters was Spielberg's cathartic jab at his dad for leaving the family.

"Dude, you were kind of a jerk and you must have been abducted by aliens or something..."

And I like lots of movies. I also dislike lots of movies. I am just pretty black and white about which bucket movies get placed into. Not many fall into the "just okay" category.
Maybe that's a little more accurate about what I am playfully poking fun at you guys about.  It's more it sucks or it's great, not much middle ground.  And sometimes it's for some interesting reasons.  

I guess I don't know Steve's family background too much, but it isn't subtle that we have in CEs one of the few dads that are present in his movie and he ends up taking off.  

I'd rather drink from from a bathroom toilet at the Denny's in Gary, Indiana at 3 AM on the night before Thanksgiving than split a bottle of 2016 Montepulciano with Keri Russell from a hotel room overlooking the Ponte Vecchio. That's basically what I heard. 
that may be so, but there's a White Castle urinal in Michigan City that puts off a singular vintage of lychee, bleachy & squeegee notes with a copper finish

I'd rather drink from from a bathroom toilet at the Denny's in Gary, Indiana at 3 AM on the night before Thanksgiving than split a bottle of 2016 Montepulciano with Keri Russell from a hotel room overlooking the Ponte Vecchio. That's basically what I heard. 
That's what I heard, too.

Ilov80s said:
Point taken, but it's not like we are talking about the difference between Transformers 3 and The Godfather here.  

Users who are viewing this thread