What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet.

6.6 Best Modern Director: Ethan Coen/Coen Brothers 

This was tough with so many great options and categories available. Love these guys, their movies, their POV, humor and ability to create suspense. Genius stuff their whole career with some all-timers and a pretty high success rate. Very few duds. 

There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet.

6.6 Best Modern Director: Ethan Coen/Coen Brothers 

This was tough with so many great options and categories available. Love these guys, their movies, their POV, humor and ability to create suspense. Genius stuff their whole career with some all-timers and a pretty high success rate. Very few duds. 
Things are goin' my way.

6.7 - Fight Club - Movie based on a book

Author Chuck Palahniuk has stated that he found the film to be an improvement on his novel.

When a Fight Club member sprays the priest with a hose, the camera briefly shakes. This happens because the cameraman couldn't keep himself from laughing - and  the seminary student/priest hosed by the mechanic is ultimately the winning combatant in the fight sequence immediately following the scene in which narrator beats himself up in front of his boss.

I would really hate to have to pick some Jane Austen crap to fill this category with. 

The original "pillow talk"-scene had Marla saying "I want to have your abortion". When this was objected to by Fox 2000 Pictures President of Production Laura Ziskin, David Fincher said he would change it on the proviso that the new line couldn't be cut. Ziskin agreed and Fincher wrote the replacement line, "I haven't been ####ed like that since grade school". When Ziskin saw the new line, she was even more outraged and asked for the original line to be put back, but, as per their deal, Fincher refused.

The film's title sequence is a pullback from the fear center of The Narrator's brain, and is supposed to represent the thought processes initiated by The Narrator's fear impulse. 

I too would like to repeatedly punch Jared Leto in the face.

The final shot of the collapsing credit bank buildings was designed by Richard 'Dr.' Baily, who worked on the shot for over 14 months straight. According to director David Fincher, there are almost 4 million separately animated digital elements in the shot.

6.7 - Fight Club - Movie based on a book

Author Chuck Palahniuk has stated that he found the film to be an improvement on his novel.

When a Fight Club member sprays the priest with a hose, the camera briefly shakes. This happens because the cameraman couldn't keep himself from laughing - and  the seminary student/priest hosed by the mechanic is ultimately the winning combatant in the fight sequence immediately following the scene in which narrator beats himself up in front of his boss.

I would really hate to have to pick some Jane Austen crap to fill this category with. 

The original "pillow talk"-scene had Marla saying "I want to have your abortion". When this was objected to by Fox 2000 Pictures President of Production Laura Ziskin, David Fincher said he would change it on the proviso that the new line couldn't be cut. Ziskin agreed and Fincher wrote the replacement line, "I haven't been ####ed like that since grade school". When Ziskin saw the new line, she was even more outraged and asked for the original line to be put back, but, as per their deal, Fincher refused.

The film's title sequence is a pullback from the fear center of The Narrator's brain, and is supposed to represent the thought processes initiated by The Narrator's fear impulse. 

I too would like to repeatedly punch Jared Leto in the face.

The final shot of the collapsing credit bank buildings was designed by Richard 'Dr.' Baily, who worked on the shot for over 14 months straight. According to director David Fincher, there are almost 4 million separately animated digital elements in the shot.
This was the one I was talking about being better than the book.  

Pick 6.8 - GallStein selects Cecil B. DeMille - Legendary Director (Category 40)

Between 1914 and 1958, DeMille made a total of 70 features, both silent and sound films. He is acknowledged as a founding father of the American cinema and the most commercially successful producer-director in film history. His films were distinguished by their epic scale and by his cinematic showmanship. His silent films included social dramas, comedies, Westerns, farces, morality plays, and historical pageants.

More write up later as this was @Charlie Steiner selection. 

Round 6 Hoop Dreams - Documentary

Over 25 years later this is still one of the most illuminating and profound films I have ever seen. 
Good pick. You must have decided to see what it felt to pick like me.

No really. Good pick. This was an early sign that the Academy was slipping to irrelevance when this didn't get a best documentary Oscar nomination.

You're our man. Tell us the cats you want.

Looking through the categories, and looking at the Google Doc, let me first state the categories I DON'T want to judge:

NOPE:

• 1930s or before (taken)
  • 1940s (taken)
  • 1950s 
  • 1960s 
  • 1970s 
  • Western
  • Horror
  • World War 2
  • Court Room Drama
After that, I can take on several categories, and would prefer any/all of these:

GIMMEGIMMEGIMME:

• Comedy
  • Romantic Comedy
  • War
  • Rock
  • Movie Score
  • Space
  • Science Fiction On Earth
  • Fantasy
  • Modern Movie Stars (guy/girl)
  • Best Actor/Actress
  • Supporting Actor/Actress
  • Action
  • Greatest Movie of All Time
 . . . I'm open to judging any other category  as needed, as long as it's not in my "Nope" column above, but I think 16's pretty good. Should only take me a few days. Good think there's not a lot to do.

Hmmmm . . . yes . . . perhaps 16 is way too many. To paraphrase a certain movie star in a certain ensemble 2000s movie, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Forget what I said, and let's stick with the following 7 categories for me to judge--I'll be back on keto soon and can't deal with a muffin basket.

1) Comedy

2) Romantic Comedy

3) Space

4) Science Fiction On Earth

5) Fantasy

6) Modern Movie Stars (guy)

7) Modern Movie Stars (girl)

And if we're in a pinch, I can take more on if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread