What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

Get all of their films? You don’t mean to say if someone drafts Tom Hanks that Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump and all his movies are off limits now?
No. What I mean is: if you draft Robert De Niro, you choose: do I want him as a legendary star or modern star? No matter which you choose, you get to use all of his films, both before and after 1980, for the judging. It doesn’t make any of those films off limits to be drafted elsewhere. 

No. What I mean is: if you draft Robert De Niro, you choose: do I want him as a legendary star or modern star? No matter which you choose, you get to use all of his films, both before and after 1980, for the judging. It doesn’t make any of those films off limits to be drafted elsewhere. 
Imo it goes against the point of "modern" if we can take Deniro and put him in modern because he made movies since the 80s.  

I think it should either be a hard line of 80 and if their career started before that, they are in the legendary category, after that they are modern - ie Bob would be legendary.  OR people can put Bob in either category, but for judging, only their post-1980 career is considered if they put him in modern.  

Imo it goes against the point of "modern" if we can take Deniro and put him in modern because he made movies since the 80s.  

I think it should either be a hard line of 80 and if their career started before that, they are in the legendary category, after that they are modern - ie Bob would be legendary.  OR people can put Bob in either category, but for judging, only their post-1980 career is considered if they put him in modern.  
I considered this. But it’s not fair to Bob. While I think it’s important to have a dividing line, the year chosen of 1980 is purely arbitrary. For someone like DeNiro or Scorcese who straddles the line, you’re punishing them by being forced to choose between what they produced before 1980 and after 1980, whereas with other actors and directors you get the whole output simply due to the fact of when they were born. If we are going to have a draft that compares Humphrey Bogart to Robert DeNiro, then let’s compare them. But comparing Bogart’s entire career to only the films DeNiro made before 1980 is weird. So I say that if you chose DeNiro as your legendary actor you still get his entire career. 

Actually screw that. I have a better, simpler solution: 

If the majority of somebody’s work is before 1980, they go into the legendary category. If the majority of their work comes after 1980, they go into the modern. You don’t get to choose. 

This means that Robert DeNiro can only be drafted as a modern movie star. Judges can still consider his 70s work, but he can’t be in the legendary category. 

If you draft Katherine Hepburn, she must be in the legendary category, even though she made a few movies past 1980. 

Same for directors. Scorcese is a modern director, but judges can consider his 70s work. 

Hope that makes sense. 

This means that Robert DeNiro can only be drafted as a modern movie star. Judges can still consider his 70s work, but he can’t be in the legendary category. 

If you draft Katherine Hepburn, she must be in the legendary category, even though she made a few movies past 1980. 

Same for directors. Scorcese is a modern director, but judges can consider his 70s work. 

Hope that makes sense. 
I’m fine with but what about someone who is kind of 50/50? Just make a gut call?

Hope that makes sense. 
That's fine, but maybe we do a cut off of 90s or something? 

Honestly feels weird drafting Bob Deniro as a modern actor, but whatever.  I get it's an all time draft.  

I considered this. But it’s not fair to Bob. While I think it’s important to have a dividing line, the year chosen of 1980 is purely arbitrary. For someone like DeNiro or Scorcese who straddles the line, you’re punishing them by being forced to choose between what they produced before 1980 and after 1980, whereas with other actors and directors you get the whole output simply due to the fact of when they were born. If we are going to have a draft that compares Humphrey Bogart to Robert DeNiro, then let’s compare them. But comparing Bogart’s entire career to only the films DeNiro made before 1980 is weird. So I say that if you chose DeNiro as your legendary actor you still get his entire career. 
I think what he’s saying is if their “legendary” you should get the whole career but if modern you only get Post-1980

Im a little fuzzy on the rules, we draft one from each category?  Do we draft in a row as per the categories numbered in the first post or can you Zig zag around?

Im a little fuzzy on the rules, we draft one from each category?  Do we draft in a row as per the categories numbered in the first post or can you Zig zag around?
You draft one movie from each category. Once a movie/person is taken, it can’t be drafted again for another category. You can draft from the categories in any order you please. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fine, but maybe we do a cut off of 90s or something? 

Honestly feels weird drafting Bob Deniro as a modern actor, but whatever.  I get it's an all time draft.  
I think it’s weird drafting DeNiro as a legendary actor. Guess it depends what age you are lol 

Also, if you're drawing a distinction between movie star and actor (which I get it btw), it seems weird not to have Leading Actor & Leading Actress as categories when we do have Supporting Actor & Supporting Actress

You may be the one that has to judge it then lol. I think everyone else has actor/actress in mind.
I don’t mind. 
Being a good actor/actress is an important element of being a movie star in most cases. But there are at least a couple iconic figures, particularly in the legendary category, who were stars much more for their personality than for any great acting skills. I’m sure you can think of whom I referring to. 

Don’t forget too: the category is not actor but movie star- that’s an important distinction. 
You may be the one that has to judge it then lol. I think everyone else has actor/actress in mind.
Might be a good time to lay out the bolded a little more fully -- I think hagmania is right.

I see where tim is going with it, but it could lead to judging headaches later if a judge breaks it down to acting awards and such.

Do we need 2 sci-fi categories and no fantasy? Can sci-fi in space at least be changed to space movies- sci-fi or otherwise? 

Also, if you're drawing a distinction between movie star and actor (which I get it btw), it seems weird not to have Leading Actor & Leading Actress as categories when we do have Supporting Actor & Supporting Actress
The greatest movie stars of all time are by definition going to be leading actors. A supporting actor is someone who has spent most of their career in that role. 

The greatest movie stars of all time are by definition going to be leading actors. A supporting actor is someone who has spent most of their career in that role. 
Ohhh I see it's a lifetime type deal. That makes sense. I was in "role" mode but when considering body of work it makes more sense.

I was kind of thinking of the Supporting roles as career character actors, even though tim didn't say so explicitly.

"Career" character actors is kind of fuzzy in and of itself ... there are some actors I'd consider "career character actors" who have won  Best (Lead) Actor/Actress Oscars. And of course, a career lead actor can "drop down" to supporting roles any time (especially common once their prime has passed).

OK new proposal:

I will remove 3 categories: 

1. Spy- overlaps with suspense and action 

2. police- overlaps with suspense and action 

3. screenwriter- nobody cares 

I will replace these with the following: 

1. actor (any era, as distinct from movie star) 

2. actress 

3. fantasy

What do you guys think? 

OK new proposal:

I will remove 3 categories: 

1. Spy- overlaps with suspense and action 

2. police- overlaps with suspense and action 

3. screenwriter- nobody cares 

2. actress 

3. fantasy

What do you guys think? 
Love it, now we're talking. Anything that gets <<SPOTLIGHTING>> a chance to be drafted.

2. actress 

3. fantasy

What do you guys think? 
Having a separate Fantasy category and maintaining Space-based Sci-Fi and Earthbound Sci-Fi? Sounds good.

As I don’t think I have time to fully participate, happy to be someone’s “phone a friend,” if help wanted in a particular area.  I’d consider myself above average on Hollywood Golden Age and earlier type stuff, including silent film era. Otherwise, I’ll just watch from the peanut gallery.

ETA: Or if looking for judges from those not participating, I could potentially help out on some categories there (although not really sure what all that entails).

You could have taken Space Jam in the animation category without mucky the rules up further.  :rolleyes:
Eligible in several categories: 

space 

Sports 

Animated 

Children 

Action 

Fantasy 

Suspense 

In addition if you choose to take Michael Jordan as best actor or as your modern movie star, you would be referring a lot to this film as I think it’s his only role? 

Eligible in several categories: 

space 

Sports 

Animated 

Children 

Action 

Suspense 

In addition if you chose to take Michael Jordan as best actor or as your modern movie star, you would be referring a lot to this film as I think it’s his only role? 
I'm guessing he would qualify for The Last Dance now too??

You draft one movie from each category. Once a movie/person is taken, it can’t be drafted again for another category. You can draft from the categories in any order you please. 
If you draft a person you don’t get all the movies right? Just people v people, movie v movie right?

Users who are viewing this thread