What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Oh for sure.  More just talking all-time horror and especially ones that I feel hold up over time.   Seems like with these drafts the classics get weighted a little heavier, and then there are a bunch of movies battling it out for the points from the #4-#10 movies for the categories.  
Definitely. Which is why some of us with less old movie exposure are at a disadvantage. But the process is tremendous fun and I have a lot of damage left to do.  :boxing:

9.05 - Dazed and Confused - Teen/High School

I was right there for Fast Times - I graduated high school in 1984, so that movie really hit home (still does). But I'm ok with missing it last round, because this is a better movie. It's fantastic from beginning to end, has a bunch of great young actors, and a killer soundtrack. 

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

I watched this with my wife. She didn't like it. At the end, she said "nothing happened the whole movie". I replied, "everything happened".

@Doug B

Last edited by a moderator:
9.05 - Dazed and Confused - Teen/High School

I was right there for Fast Times - I graduated high school in 1984, so that movie really hit home (still does). But I'm ok with missing it last round, because this is a simply a better movie. It's fantastic from beginning to end, has a bunch of great young actors, and a killer soundtrack. 

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

I watched this with my wife. She didn't like it. At the end, she said "nothing happened the whole movie". I replied, "everything happened".

@Doug B
A near perfect movie but it's one fault is GLARING

I am so over my head in this draft.  In all honesty, I really am just a guy who likes courtroom dramas and stupid comedies.  Basically, if movie critics love a movie, I probably hate it.
Do not despair.  Half of the movies, etc, that are being praised to the skies are fairly unwatchable to me.

“Can I get you something?”

“'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!”

“I'm sorry, I don't understand.”

“Cutter say he can't HANG!”

“Oh, stewardess ...”

9.06: Airplane!, Comedy Film
My wife and I just watched that a couple of days ago. It's as funny as ever. 

Mr R asks, "Is it because the music is better than the movie?"
No, the long haired freshman kid is an atrocious actor 

Godfather on IFC - :coffee:
Godfather 2 guy here. Instead I have chosen a comedy that I am watching for an upcoming pick

Ok.  I am officially moving Apocalypse Now out of the war category to make room for one of my most rewatched movies and probably my favorite Kubrick movie.  

8.16:  FULL METAL JACKET - war movie.  

My top movies list got decimated and I lost out on some biggies like Fight Club, BttF, and Aliens.   I decided I couldn't miss out on this one.  

Ugh, this sucks.  I am staring at 5 movies and I am pretty sure I will be without the others by my next turn.  I guess I will take the one with the most flex ability since my list of 60s movies looks surprisingly meh.  

9.01:  THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE - political movie  

back to @AAABatteries and @hagmania
I swear I am not planning this, but for those playing along, both these movies are on HBO Max.   

@EYLive - you asked about Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, and they are both on HBO Max. 

9.06: Airplane!, Comedy Film
I must be incredibly juvenile because I laugh my butt off at one particular scene every time in Airplane when Julie Hagerty asks if anyone can fly the airplane and a full-blown panic scene hits the passengers who go berserk.  In the midst of pandemonium out of nowhere a topless zaftig blonde appears and jiggles perfectly in frame for a few seconds. 

Gets me every time.

I am curious - what are these movies you speak of here?
Let's see.  Twelve Angry Men  Pointless talk talk to me.  And those are actors I love.  I think it's just too stagey to me.  

2001 Just so dumb.  Design-wise, very nice.

The Matrix  -  Remember the category of WTF movies?  Stylish and pointless.  And yes, I know how it turns out.

Dr. Strangelove  -  Nope.

Rear Window  Don't actually know why.  Love Kelly, Stewart, and Hitchcock.  But this puts me right to sleep.

Some of the others I don't like are as much the category as the movie.  But these are things it seems I should be receptive to, and I'm not.

I must be incredibly juvenile because I laugh my butt off at one particular scene every time in Airplane when Julie Hagerty asks if anyone can fly the airplane and a full-blown panic scene hits the passengers who go berserk.  In the midst of pandemonium out of nowhere a topless zaftig blonde appears and jiggles perfectly in frame for a few seconds. 

Gets me every time.
I love Jill Whelan having the time of her life when the IV gets disconnected.  And the jive.  And all the rest.

One of the all-time quotable movies.  I saw it on opening day.  We had no idea what to expect.  After I saw the airplane tail in the clouds, I knew I could relax and laugh my socks off.

For me, it was one of the all-time great movie experiences.  I can't spotlight the others.

(Also, I've read Runway Zero-Eight, the book the started it all.  Such a serious book for that result.)

One of the first ones to come to mind when I considered the category.  solid pick.
Also a movie that I will never forget first seeing. I was probably 12 or 13. I didn't know much about Braveheart except it was an old school Irish-English-Scottish war movie. My friend and I snuck in to see it. His 85 year old great grandmother would drive us there knowing what we were seeing and help us get tickets. The movie just blew our faces off. The spears, the ball and chain to the face, the giant hammers. This movie ####### ruled. It was also the first time I really paid attention to the Oscars because I really wanted to see it win. 

I was just looking over my picks, and besides The Goonies, I am keeping up with you folks.  Time for a few awesome rounds to make a run towards the front.

I'm a little jealous of the Airplane! pick.  I remember when I first saw it, one of the lines that caught me so off-guard that it made me laugh even while I couldn't figure out why I was laughing was: "Joey, do you like movies about...gladiators?"  Maybe it's because part of me knew that 40 years later I would be right here snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with the following comment:

09.09: Gladiator - Decade 2000s

There's that pesky 'epic' word again to describe yet another of our picks.  This period piece about ancient Rome features its own triumvirate--Ridley Scott at the helm, with Russell Crowe and Oliver Reed providing their own song of ice and fire to drive this Roman chariot of a story not only to the top of the box office but also to the top of the swords and sandals movie genre, where it can almost be spoken in the same breath as the Kirk Douglas/Stanley Kubrick collaboration Spartacus. Just like with Conan, I think a lot of credit for the quality of the film should be attributed to the perfect casting all the way around, and my previously mentioned Sven-Ole Thorsen's precious few minutes on screen provides enough menace to to be a worthy foe for Maximus. 

Bottom line, it won 5 Oscars, 4 BAFTAs, all the while, according to extemporaneous accounts, working with an ever-evolving script.

Thanks to @Gally for suggesting this pick in this spot, and I look forward to reading his take on this film as well.

ROMA VICTOR!

9.10 - Fargo - Comedy

Since I grew up across the river from Fargo and am a born and raised Minnesotan, this movie speaks to me. Yes, I like my comedy a bit dark. But this also really does nail who we are as a people - more than a little naive, but not stupid. I know people in my life that they could have just pulled off the street to play themselves in the movie - especially the "End of story" guy. And I've been to most of the locations - I parked a lot at the parking ramp where the shootout occurs, for example.  

Marge Gunderson: Say, Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plates, so he went and changed his name to J3L2404?

Lou: Yah, that's a good one.
Marge Gunderson: I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.
Hooker No. 1: Well, the little guy was kinda funny-lookin'.

Marge Gunderson: In what way?

Hooker No. 1: I dunno... just funny-lookin'.

Marge Gunderson: Can you be any more specific?

Hooker No. 1: I couldn't really say... He wasn't circumcised.

Marge Gunderson: [amused by this unhelpful detail] Was he funny lookin' apart from that?

Hooker No. 1: Yah...

Marge Gunderson: So, you were havin' sex with the little fellow, then.

Hooker No. 1: Uh huh...
William H. Macy stated in an interview that, despite evidence to the contrary, he did hardly any ad-libbing at all. Most of his character's stuttering mannerisms were written in the script exactly the way he does them in the film.

While first screening the film, Gene Siskel leaned over to fellow critic and co-host Roger Ebert and said with a smile "this is why we love movies." Siskel & Ebert went on to name it the best film of 1996.

The wood chipper used in the movie is now on display at the Fargo-Moorhead Visitors Center.

And the TV show is every bit as good.

9.10 - Fargo - Comedy

Since I grew up across the river from Fargo and am a born and raised Minnesotan, this movie speaks to me. Yes, I like my comedy a bit dark. But this also really does nail who we are as a people - more than a little naive, but not stupid. I know people in my life that they could have just pulled off the street to play themselves in the movie - especially the "End of story" guy. And I've been to most of the locations - I parked a lot at the parking ramp where the shootout occurs, for example.  

William H. Macy stated in an interview that, despite evidence to the contrary, he did hardly any ad-libbing at all. Most of his character's stuttering mannerisms were written in the script exactly the way he does them in the film.

While first screening the film, Gene Siskel leaned over to fellow critic and co-host Roger Ebert and said with a smile "this is why we love movies." Siskel & Ebert went on to name it the best film of 1996.

The wood chipper used in the movie is now on display at the Fargo-Moorhead Visitors Center.

And the TV show is every bit as good.
I absolutely love the movie and it is very funny but I’m not sure I’d label it a comedy. It will be interesting to see how it gets stacked up against true comedies. It’s hard to imagine it won’t be one of the best overall movies in the category but will the judge have his own criteria as to what makes a great comedy?

Users who are viewing this thread