What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

I absolutely love the movie and it is very funny but I’m not sure I’d label it a comedy. It will be interesting to see how it gets stacked up against true comedies. It’s hard to imagine it won’t be one of the best overall movies in the category but will the judge have his own criteria as to what makes a great comedy?
This will sound more aggressive than I intend but...I really don't care all that much. I'm intent on drafting as many of the movies I like as I can and that means fitting some in whatever spots I need to. 

Dark comedy may not match up to "true" comedy, depending on the judge's sense of humor. 

Anyway, this doesn't count for purposes of this draft, but this quote from Season 2 of Fargo, by Mike Milligan, is awesome...and absolutely true about Minnesotans.

Mike Milligan: I like you. I met another fella from Minnesota yesterday. A big guy. Sheriff, I think. I liked him too.

Lou Solverson: We're very friendly people.

Mike Milligan: No, that's not it. Pretty unfriendly, actually. But it's the way you're unfriendly. How you're so polite about it. Like you're doing me a favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will sound more aggressive than I intend but...I really don't care all that much. I'm intent on drafting as many of the movies I like as I can and that means fitting some in whatever spots I need to. 
I think it would be interesting after we are done to take a poll and have folks pick which list they would take in a desert island situation. Hags and I have intentionally bypassed some movies that we think may rank well but we are just meh on.

“Can I get you something?”

“'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!”

“I'm sorry, I don't understand.”

“Cutter say he can't HANG!”

“Oh, stewardess ...”

9.06: Airplane!, Comedy Film
I love this movie, and have fond memories and it's a legendary comedy, but I showed my three daughters (16-22) earlier in the year and they were like WTF... I wonder if its a guy thing or just a certain era in time?

I am starting to fall asleep.  Who can I PM my next 2 picks to?  It can be anyone except 80's, mph, tuff, EY, and MrsR.

I'm trying to do the same which is why some categories will be so tough for me.

I just found it interesting in that like I said Fargo should be the best overall movie in the category but will it be the best comedy? And for the record I do think it's funnier than some of the top comedies as I enjoy wit more than slapstick (which is why I pushed back on the original slapstick comedy category.

I love this movie, and have fond memories and it's a legendary comedy, but I showed my three daughters (16-22) earlier in the year and they were like WTF... I wonder if its a guy thing or just a certain era in time?
I think many comedies don't hold up over time. 

I'm guessing their context is just different.

Maybe it was the first time they were nervous?

Are either of them named Shirley?

Did they eat lasagna that night?

Have they ever BEEN in a Turkish prison?

How do they take their coffee?

Do they like movies about gladiators?

Possibly, they picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

You should take them to an Anita Bryant concert.

Lastly, I think they didn't laugh because that's just what you expected them to do.

Dark comedy may not match up to "true" comedy, depending on the judge's sense of humor. 

Anyway, this doesn't count for purposes of this draft, but this quote from Season 2 of Fargo, by Mike Milligan, is awesome...and absolutely true about Minnesotans.
I'm pivoting to the strategy of trying to make all time faves work into the slots... I feel strongly about a lot of smaller movies and would like to expose some as we get deeper into the draft...

the challenges will be around pick 30+ for sure...

Not gonna lie, the auto-pilot blow up scenes were a tad uncomfortable, lol

I am ok watching violent scenes with my daughters, we/they can just look away, but any sex scene and I am headed out of the room for a bathroom break...

Many of the jokes are definitely time-context. If you don't know who Kareem is, there's a few jokes you miss. The "Bill never has a second cup of coffee at home" isn't funny without the TV commercial it references in your pop-culture experiences. "I speak jive" is classic 70's. The whole gay undertone isn't funny now because kids today would say "So they're gay - big deal".  

Many of the jokes are definitely time-context. If you don't know who Kareem is, there's a few jokes you miss. The "Bill never has a second cup of coffee at home" isn't funny without the TV commercial it references in your pop-culture experiences. "I speak jive" is classic 70's. The whole gay undertone isn't funny now because kids today would say "So they're gay - big deal".  

How do they take their coffee?

Do they like movies about gladiators?

Possibly, they picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

You should take them to an Anita Bryant concert.

Lastly, I think they didn't laugh because that's just what you expected them to do.
Yep, totally agree...  when Dad starts trying to explain jokes, you know you just throw in the towell...

I totally get taking/slotting what you want, but if I were the judge, based on what's there now and what I expect to come, this would be a hurtful one-pointer. I say hurtful because I love the film, but let's be honest,  it's not really a comedy. It would be like saying Breaking Bad is a comedy because of some funny moments (I just re-watched season one, and am surprised at how much comedy is actually in that season.)

Awesome 90's or even greatest movie, though. But you slot where you want of course.

The movie is based on rata-tat-tat perfectly spaced punch lines to keep up the level but the movie is over 40 years old so the dated cultural references would make it DOA for many young folks.

May have been the first movie to openly mock Saturday Night Fever but kids would not get that significance, singing nuns were an late 60s/early 70s thing, Hari Krishnas at airports were 70s, they wouldn't know Leslie Neilsen's career or how he was playing opposite his stereotyped characterization same with same with Peter Graves-Loyd Bridges-Robert Stack, Kareem has been out of the spotlight for decades, and  I'm sure sixteen year olds never heard of Barbra Billingsley or Ethel Merman.  

Too much would go over their heads and if you have to explain a joke... 😒

Early on I was going to suggest we have a spot for Wildcards but didn't want to muddy up the waters even more than it was.  A film like Fargo would probably be a good example - Drama, Suspense, Comedy - it hits on them all but I would struggle saying which I think best describes it.

The movie is based on rata-tat-tat perfectly spaced punch lines to keep up the level but the movie is over 40 years old so the dated cultural references would make it DOA for many young folks.

May have been the first movie to openly mock Saturday Night Fever but kids would not get that significance, singing nuns were an late 60s/early 70s thing, Hari Krishnas at airports were 70s, they wouldn't know Leslie Neilsen's career or how he was playing opposite his stereotyped characterization same with same with Peter Graves-Loyd Bridges-Robert Stack, Kareem has been out of the spotlight for decades, and  I'm sure sixteen year olds never heard of Barbra Billingsley or Ethel Merman.  

Too much would go over their heads and if you have to explain a joke... 😒
could not agree more... when I hype a movie they usually agree post watch that it was a good film... but not this one... lol, I will die on that hill though.. it's still a great pick 

I totally get taking/slotting what you want, but if I were the judge, based on what's there now and what I expect to come, this would be a hurtful one-pointer. I say hurtful because I love the film, but let's be honest,  it's not really a comedy. It would be like saying Breaking Bad is a comedy because of some funny moments (I just re-watched season one, and am surprised at how much comedy is actually in that season.)

Awesome 90's or even greatest movie, though. But you slot where you want of course.
It really is. But the problem is that dark comedy is even more subjective than "regular" comedy. 

black com·e·dy

noun

- a film, play, or other work that deals with tragic or distressing subject matter in a humorous way.

- a type of comedy in which tragic or distressing subject matter is dealt with in a humorous way.
I would say that Breaking Bad IS a comedy. The differentiator is whether or not the comedy is central to the movies construction.

Airplane, for example, is about the jokes. Fargo, OTOH, is about the themes with a comic tint.  

9.11 Best Actress: Ingrid Bergman 

Three Academy Awards, two Primetime Emmy Awards, a Tony Award, four Golden Globe Awards, and a BAFTA Award. The ever radiant Ingrid Bergman proved her acting chops in both the big glossy Hollywood studio films and the more singularly artistic minded European films. 

I don't think it's a guy thing - probably a certain era in time.   I don't think the movie is funny at all, and usually don't find many "all time" comedies from that era funny.  

Three Academy Awards, two Primetime Emmy Awards, a Tony Award, four Golden Globe Awards, and a BAFTA Award. The ever radiant Ingrid Bergman proved her acting chops in both the big glossy Hollywood studio films and the more singularly artistic minded European films. 
Of course.  :wall:

The only other option I considered to Grace Kelly. 

I must be incredibly juvenile because I laugh my butt off at one particular scene every time in Airplane when Julie Hagerty asks if anyone can fly the airplane and a full-blown panic scene hits the passengers who go berserk.  In the midst of pandemonium out of nowhere a topless zaftig blonde appears and jiggles perfectly in frame for a few seconds. 

Gets me every time.
Oh my god I just looked up who played that bit-part.

Kitten Natividad...Bouncy Topless Woman on Plane (uncredited)

Any young man of that era would be aware of Miss Natividad's um... work. 

I had no clue she lived with Russ Meyer but it makes sense on many levels.

Kitten Natividad

Also the guitar playing nun was non other than...

Maureen McGovern...Nun

She had a number one hit with 'The Morning After'.  

Don't want to wait any longer on this category...

She is my favorite actress by far, much like Cagney and Bogart, she can elevate a movie and her pre-code work through the 30's and 40's have some of the great performances in movie history.  She can blend comedy and drama and I seek out any movie she is in.. still a treat to find new work of hers as her 60 year catalog is deep.  I am in the middle of reading this enormous Bio, good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Barbara-Stanwyck-Steel-True-1907-1940/dp/1439194068/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=barbara+stanwyck+book&qid=1595510947&sr=8-2

Barbara Stanwyck - Best Actress 

Don't want to wait any longer on this category...

She is my favorite actress by far, much like Cagney and Bogart, she can elevate a movie and her pre-code work through the 30's and 40's have some of the great performances in movie history.  She can blend comedy and drama and I seek out any movie she is in.. still a treat to find new work of hers as her 60 year catalog is deep.  I am in the middle of reading this enormous Bio, good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Barbara-Stanwyck-Steel-True-1907-1940/dp/1439194068/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=barbara+stanwyck+book&qid=1595510947&sr=8-2

Barbara Stanwyck - Best Actress 
I was going to add in my last post that with very few exceptions (Ingrid Bergman not being one of them) the dividing line for great acting in film is adoption of the Method style (which begins with Brando). Stanwyck is one of those few exceptions. 

I was going to add in my last post that with very few exceptions (Ingrid Bergman not being one of them) the dividing line for great acting in film is adoption of the Method style (which begins with Brando). Stanwyck is one of those few exceptions. 
She's incredible to watch..her and Bette from that era just bring that next level intensity imho...

Now that I have a little more time, some more on the fabulous The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.  Really, it's outstanding, you should go watch it if you haven't seen it already.

It is an adaptation of B. Traven's 1927 novel of the same name (AAA edit - top candidate for based on book!), set in the 1920s, in which, driven by their desperate economic plight, two young men, Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) and Bob Curtin (Tim Holt), join old-timer Howard in Mexico to prospect for gold.  (AAA edit - I don't expect Tim Holt to get drafted so I didn't edit him out)

In 1990, this film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".  The film was among the first 100 films to be selected.

Other tidbits:

• The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was one of the first Hollywood films to be filmed on location outside the United States (in the state of Durango and street scenes in Tampico, Mexico), although many scenes were filmed back in the studio and elsewhere in the US. Filming took five and a half months to shoot.
  • Director originally wanted to cast Ronald Reagan as James Cody
  • Director Stanley Kubrick listed The Treasure of the Sierra Madre as his 4th favorite film of all time (AAA edit:  and that guy knows movies!)
  • Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan has also cited the film as one of his personal favorites and has said that Fred C. Dobbs was a key influence in creating the character of Walter White. A key scene from the film was emulated in "Buyout", the sixth episode of the series' fifth season.

I am totally open to saying that I am wrong. When this is over, I want to get some recommendations for her best movies. 
There are a few rare actors and actresses who are truly chameleons, portraying an amazing variety of characters, time periods, accents, and doing it well in nearly every role.

Streep and Day-Lewis have done it for decades.

I have seen Blanchett also achieve this starting in the early 2000s and continuing. 

Radiant is the right word. Every time I watch one of her films, I find myself thinking "I need to watch more of her films".

There are a few rare actors and actresses who are truly chameleons, portraying an amazing variety of characters, time periods, accents, and doing it well in nearly every role.

Streep and Day-Lewis have done it for decades.

I have seen Blanchett also achieve this starting in the early 2000s and continuing. 
She was very good in [redacted] and I enjoyed her Hepburn impersonation in [redacted] I’ll gladly take a PM of recommendations to check out on her work. 

Blanchett has to be a good actor - when I see her interviewed she actually seems like she might be a nice person and someone a "regular" person could talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread