What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

I actually have a spreadsheet set-up for easy judging. You just enter the movie's box office numbers, Oscar nominations, Ebert stars and IMDB score and the spreadsheet gives you a definitive and indisputable score for every movie. 
The bolded is crucial -- Siskel is kind of a snooty grouch about film.

Categories aren't perfect but that is the charm of the Tim draft I suppose. Ultimately, the dramas will mostly end up in the decade categories. 
Yep - and don't get me wrong, not a knock on Tim, he does a great job getting these going and usually running them.  I've just been looking at some lists and there's a lot of really good movies left but frequently I get to one on the list and struggle to find a spot for it because it's a drama - so figure it would go in to the  Decade slots like you said.
In a way ... drama films are kind of the default, especially in the broad category of films that aim to be something more than entertainment.

Yep - and don't get me wrong, not a knock on Tim, he does a great job getting these going and usually running them.  I've just been looking at some lists and there's a lot of really good movies left but frequently I get to one on the list and struggle to find a spot for it because it's a drama - so figure it would go in to the  Decade slots like you said.
Right, I could see at the end having some really good straight dramas going undrafted while some borderline awful 80s teen comedy gets taken in round 30. 

In a way ... drama films are kind of the default, especially in the broad category of films that aim to be something more than entertainment.
I guess ultimately I was thinking we may leave some good films out while including some duds late in the Rock and Sports categories - Tim probably didn't think of that and is an idiot.  (is that better Tim?)

Right, I could see at the end having some really good straight dramas going undrafted while some borderline awful 80s teen comedy gets taken in round 30. 
This guy knows what I'm talking about.

ETA - hopefully not Round 30 but maybe 45-50. 

Last edited by a moderator:
AAABatteries said:
I guess ultimately I was thinking we may leave some good films out while including some duds late in the Rock and Sports categories
Nah ... we've got the Decades categories, Greatest Film of All Time, and most of the Genre categories. Dramas as a class will be well and deeply represented, even if they will share some categories with comedies and such.

I guess we will be skipping @Mrs. Rannous for now.  Hop in and make your 2 picks when you get here.

I had my pick all ready to go, but changed my mind about 30 minutes ago...

10.2 - Kathy Bates - Supporting Actress

My momma said she would hobble me if I didn't pick her.  Yes, she has won awards as a lead, but she is best known as a supporting actress.

10.4 Annie Hall- GOAT Romantic Comedy

Woody Allen's best film IMO. Hilariously offbeat and quirky. Its at the same time realistic and deeply personal. Probably the best romantic comedy I've ever seen.In November 2015, the film was named the funniest screenplay by the Writers Guild of America in its list of 101 Funniest Screenplays. And don't forget it beat out Star wars for best picture!

Woody Allen's best film IMO. Hilariously offbeat and quirky. Its at the same time realistic and deeply personal. Probably the best romantic comedy I've ever seen.In November 2015, the film was named the funniest screenplay by the Writers Guild of America in its list of 101 Funniest Screenplays. And don't forget it beat out Star wars for best picture!
And Saving Private Ryan lost out to another forgotten movie. Big deal. :boxing:

Dammit

NBNW's abrupt ending really turns me off for some reason. Cool movie otherwise and the prime example of Hitch's "innocent guy gets caught up in serious stuff" motif.

Gonna grab this while it's still on the board, toss up between this and Rear Window as my favorite Hitchcock.. might move this to another category, but for now fits snug into the 50's...

North by Northwest - 1959 - 1950's
As usual, these will be nothing left on my short list when I pick.  

Love this one

Gonna grab this while it's still on the board, toss up between this and Rear Window as my favorite Hitchcock.. might move this to another category, but for now fits snug into the 50's...

North by Northwest - 1959 - 1950's
Was debating between Annie hall and this. I love north by northwest. My favorite Hitchcock film

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale! 

10.6 70s movies: Network (1976)

Genius script and performances. Another movie that saw both deeply into the future and into the soul of America. The 70s category is starting to get a bit thin and I think their may be a big tier break after this.
The movie is kind of straightforward and a bit dull until you get to the conversation where they discuss killing him - and you realize they're serious!  It kind of changes everything you've seen up to that point and definitely everything to come after. 

10.7 - Beauty And The Beast (1991) - Musical

Might be my favorite animated film too, but there's others I can use for that category. Everything about this movie is awesome.

Much like the film, the soundtrack was a massive critical success, receiving universal praise and recognition from both film and music critics. The music featured on the album won several awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score, the Academy Award for Best Original Score and the Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television.

Songs take up twenty-five minutes of this movie and only five minutes were without any musical score at all.

This became the first movie musical to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture since 1979, and the next wasn't until 2001. Of the movie musicals nominated for Best Picture, this is the only animated musical movie to be nominated for the award.

The only animated feature-length movie of the twentieth century to have been nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Its nomination prompted the Motion Picture Academy of Arts & Sciences to establish a new category - Best Animated Feature - so that animated movies would not compete with live-action movies for the top prize.

The only movie ranked in the American Film Institute's Top 10 in the genre "Animation" to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

I think Gaston is the best track. "And every last inch of me's covered with HAIR!!!"

The movie is kind of straightforward and a bit dull until you get to the conversation where they discuss killing him - and you realize they're serious!  It kind of changes everything you've seen up to that point and definitely everything to come after. 
This was the story of Howard Beale: The first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings.

It’s such a funny movie once you get what’s going on. It appears to be deadpan and quite serious (which it is) but it’s also quite a farce.

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale! 

10.6 70s movies: Network (1976)

Genius script and performances. Another movie that saw both deeply into the future and into the soul of America. The 70s category is starting to get a bit thin and I think their may be a big tier break after this.
Just caught the Cranston on Broadway version last year (with Tatiana Maslany), he was great.. and the set design was amazing.

This film holds up incredibly well...

Knew it wouldn’t make it to us - nice pick.

I yet again find myself wanting to say more but don’t want to spotlight.

@Charlie Steiner @Gally

YOU BUY WADDED UP PAPER NOW!!!
10.8 - The Breakfast Club - Teen/High School

For our judges out there, I'll cut to the chase: Ebert gave it 3 out of 4 stars, Siskel 3.5 out of 4 and it grossed $51.5 million on a $1 million budget.

This movie came out a year after I graduated from high school and I hated it, I think because it was so on the nose, and it was so on the nose because it's timeless.  As much as I like Airplane!, it does suffer now from jokes that don't work because of the changing culture; with The Breakfast Club, however, the plot doesn't rely on specific cultural moments.  Each character is a representation of different choices and repercussions of the life they've lived so far, which echo from before this group came of age down through even my daughter's generation that just graduated from high school, and will probably still echo for the foreseeable future.  The 'mainstream' or 'popular' kids fashions and lexicons will definitely change, but there will always be those on the outside looking in with derision, and vice versa.  That is the brilliance of Hughes, because ultimately we get to see tension resolved or redirected, a journey for all of them where they have all changed, providing a catharsis we end up sharing with them.

After my initial dislike for this film, I did a quick 180 and it became a favorite and endlessly quotable when I was working my way through college: "Hey, homeboy...what do you say we lock that door..." was always fun, "Chicks...they can't handle the smoke." "Why do you need a fake ID? So I can vote."

Ebert also called it more or less predictable, but it's the second part of his comment here that makes this movie timeless: it's about kids who grow willing to talk to one another, and it has a surprisingly good ear for the way they speak. When they have their confrontations with each other, the confrontations are so honest, so clear and so incisive they don't need to be dressed up with catchy words that will sound square to the next generation of teens. The tensions between different views of life in high school will always be there, and this film is the quintessential view of how those tensions will work themselves out if the adults stay out of the way.

-Sincerely,

The Breakfast Club

Users who are viewing this thread