What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple TV free for a year, worth it? (1 Viewer)

DallasDMac

Footballguy
We just switched cell phone providers and my wife got the latest iPhone as part of the switch. She is getting lots and lots of emails about being eligible for a free year of Apple TV. I know it is legit, seen a bunch of stuff online abut the offer. My question is:

Is it worth the bother?

When the year is up, is it easy to cancel if I want to?

That's about it. Just looking for feedback from those that have used/use the service.

Thanks.

p.s. I really want to see Greyhound...

If you took 3 people to see Greyhound it would likely exceed the cost of the service for the year. So I would say yes. 

we watched it tonight and it was very good 

Greyhound is very good.   It really should be seen in a theater especially if it was IMAX.   A home theater does not do it justice.  

Greyhound is very good.   It really should be seen in a theater especially if it was IMAX.   A home theater does not do it justice.  
Totally agree, but that thing was about the length of a Disney cartoon. I like my movies to be breezy but I would be a little upset if I laid out movie costs for a 80 minute flick. I loathe 3.5 hour movies too but they could have expanded this one a little more. 

Capella said:
Totally agree, but that thing was about the length of a Disney cartoon. I like my movies to be breezy but I would be a little upset if I laid out movie costs for a 80 minute flick. I loathe 3.5 hour movies too but they could have expanded this one a little more. 
Same.  Never see a movie of that magnitude at that length these days. There was very little build up.  

Just downloaded this as I recently picked up a free iPhone SE for my 11 year old. Weird app. Am I using it right? Looks like there is very little content. It's just a handful of original movies and series with links to other apps? Anything not original you have to buy or rent in the app itself, is that right? Definitely not worth a subscription compared to other streaming services.

Just downloaded this as I recently picked up a free iPhone SE for my 11 year old. Weird app. Am I using it right? Looks like there is very little content. It's just a handful of original movies and series with links to other apps? Anything not original you have to buy or rent in the app itself, is that right? Definitely not worth a subscription compared to other streaming services.
I think they have 8-10 series. Nothing special right now. I’ve liked the few movies I’ve seen on it. 

I think they have 8-10 series. Nothing special right now. I’ve liked the few movies I’ve seen on it. 
Hey it's free for a year so I shouldn't complain. Looks like they will be adding stuff. I think I was more just confused at first because I was looking at combined content instead of just looking at the Apple + section. 

I'm going to have to consider adding Apple TV to my lineup when the start up the show based on the Issac Asimov "Foundation Series".  I have no idea if that will translate well to a TV show or not, but it was one of my favorite SciFi series ever, so I'll probably need to give it a shot.

I'm going to have to consider adding Apple TV to my lineup when the start up the show based on the Issac Asimov "Foundation Series".  I have no idea if that will translate well to a TV show or not, but it was one of my favorite SciFi series ever, so I'll probably need to give it a shot.
Overall, I was disappointed at how small the selection is of Apple shows. But when I saw Foundation, I got a little chub going. I was a huge Asimov nerd as a kid and Foundation was absolutely one of my all time favorite series. Actually, it was my favorite, hands down.

Just finished Mythic Quest. 

Not earth shattering, but I enjoyed it and would think this PLUS the Beastie Boys movie alone is worth the free cost. 

Greyhound is up next and my wife watched some show with Jennifer Anniston and Steve Carrell 

Overall, I was disappointed at how small the selection is of Apple shows. But when I saw Foundation, I got a little chub going. I was a huge Asimov nerd as a kid and Foundation was absolutely one of my all time favorite series. Actually, it was my favorite, hands down.
When does Foundation start? TIA

Capella said:
NutterButter said:

I watched it last night with my son and we were both expecting another U-boat to show up at the end when they were all celebrating.  Hanks didn't even reunite with the woman from the beginning of the movie.  Not that I mind, but it is odd for a big budget Hanks-level movie these days.

As mentioned, Greyhound was very good.

The Morning Show was also really good, with a star studded cast.  And the Beastie Boys documentary was worth a watch as well.  

So far, what I've watched has been well done.

Greyhound is good.  I'm definitely going to watch the Beastie Boys movie.  The series with Jason Mamoa ("See") was weak - don't bother.  My wife watched the Anniston series and was not impressed.

This is not something I would separately pay for, given the thousands of hours of good content already available on the services we pay for, but if you've got a free year, there are a few things worth watching.

Greyhound is good.  I'm definitely going to watch the Beastie Boys movie.  The series with Jason Mamoa ("See") was weak - don't bother.  My wife watched the Anniston series and was not impressed.

This is not something I would separately pay for, given the thousands of hours of good content already available on the services we pay for, but if you've got a free year, there are a few things worth watching.
The Morning Show was basically a mirror of the Today Show and the Matt Lauer sexual harrassment incident.  Steve Carrell played the Matt Lauer type role.  It was shot the same way The West Wing was shot with cameras following conversations all over the studio at a hectic pace.  I thought it was well done.  And if people are tapped out of shows to binge, it was one 8 or 10 ep season.

It’s not my go-to service, but there were a handful of original shows I enjoyed. Probably not enough content to resubscribe once the free year is up.

The Morning Show

For All Mankind

Mythic Quest

Defending Jacob

Dickinson

I watched it last night with my son and we were both expecting another U-boat to show up at the end when they were all celebrating.  Hanks didn't even reunite with the woman from the beginning of the movie.  Not that I mind, but it is odd for a big budget Hanks-level movie these days.
I thought Greyhound was excellent, kept me interested on the edge of my seat the whole movie, very well done. I happened to listen to a podcast Dan Carlin did with Hanks about the movie that really helped explain a lot of the little nuisances associated with the film. Give it a listen if you can https://www.dancarlin.com/addendum/

The story is based off the book The Good Shepard and in the book, his wife bails on him. Think the woman in the movie was used to symbolize that?

Morning Show was excellent.  Kept getting better throughout.  Dickinson was very good also in a very strange way.  Mythic Quest was hit or miss for me.  Didn't really like any of the characters.

Morning Show was excellent.  Kept getting better throughout.  Dickinson was very good also in a very strange way.  Mythic Quest was hit or miss for me.  Didn't really like any of the characters.
I watched the first episode of Morning Show. I have no idea why, but I was expecting more of a comedy. I guess because I saw Steve Carell. Obviously a drama, and an hour long (or more) at that. I'll probably pass. Wasn't really looking for drama right now. After another day of being stuck at home, a drama is the last thing I needed.

I watched the first episode of Morning Show. I have no idea why, but I was expecting more of a comedy. I guess because I saw Steve Carell. Obviously a drama, and an hour long (or more) at that. I'll probably pass. Wasn't really looking for drama right now. After another day of being stuck at home, a drama is the last thing I needed.
I'd steer clear of Greyhound then.   I didn't laugh once and people have told me I have a great sense of humor.   

Got a year free too. Gonna watch Greyhound, Servant, and Morning Show. Don't see much else id be interested in.

Watched the Beastie Boys story last night and really enjoyed it. Has sparked my interest to dive back deeper into their catalogue as I was never totally in to them except Licensed to Ill and the usual hits. Listened to Paul's Boutique with my airpods this morning and loved it. Going to have them in heavy rotation for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread