What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID Roster Changes? How will COVID+ players be handled? (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
It's safe to assume players will test positive and miss games this season. I saw a thread for aborted season but not for roster rules. 

1) How will the NFL designate these players (O/IR/S/etc)? 

2) How will sites handle these players? eligible for Injured/Out or IR slots? Asking yahoo mostly but should be discussed for all platforms. 

3) Finally, what is your league doing, if anything, to offer bench flexibility in the event teams have a couple players out for positive tests? 

Any other COVID specific scenarios leagues should be addressing? 

NFL said these players would be put on the commish exempt list if that stays true then that means NFL teams can replace these players until they can be activated as they would not count against the roster.

In my dynasty and local redraft leagues I will do the same.  I play on MFL.  I sent an email a few days ago asking how MFL would handle players put on the commish exempt list for the virus if they would be giving them their own designation or giving them the standard IR designation or what their plan was.   They have yet to respond and normally MFL responds within 24 hours so that sounds like to me they have no current plan.

I was thinking it be pretty simple for my leagues you could place the guy on IR and pick someone up.  Then when the guy is activated you would have to put him back on your roster and drop someone.

My guess is that league hosts aren't going to implement internal processes to manage this. They are waiting to see what the NFL does and will "plug in" to whatever that is, be it IR or some special designation.

Leaguemate just asked me about this today. It honestly hadn't even crossed my mind yet. I suppose creating a COVID specific IR would be best way to go (if that's an option from your site).

We added two extra IR spots only to be used for covid. If yahoo doesn’t mark the IR eligible we will allow drop and once back on the field they will be returned to team and another player is dropped from the roster. No other members can pick up the covid player. This is a worst case. I would hope yahoo has a built in way to deal with it. 

Over/under this goes 5 pages until a particular poster gets it locked...

We floated the idea of 2 extra IR slots. But we have huge rosters (28). So it really doesn’t matter unless this gets so bad that practice squad players are starting on most teams

Proposed moving to best ball format for one season in my league that has been playing for 23 years. 

I figure that cuts down on the league mate angst caused by last minute corona diagnoses 

One of my leagues, proposing to open a taxi/Covid squad, and keep separate from traditional IR.

No idea how the NFL or MFL will deal with this designation, but in the interim, we are looking to use taxi squad as a designated Covid spot for players.    

If on MFL,  ask your commish to open the taxi squad designation and adjust parameters for allowing x amount, and players x amount of years.   You would have to manually police it though.   

Hope this helps

FFPC sent out an email today that Covid-optout players are eligible to be placed on IR, but that the IR size will not be expanded from 3.

I noticed a couple things on MFL tonight in a league I commission. Justin Jefferson is listed as "IR - COVID" and Damien Williams is listed as "H" for "Holdout". The system allowed me to place both on IR on my roster, even though there is a setting to allow or not allow players who are holding out on IR. Sort of the Leveon Bell rule. We voted on it last year (Melvin Gordon IIRC) but then MFL added the feature. It predates COVID and was intended for contract disputes. 

But I have it set to "not allowed" for (contract) holdouts. MFL has some new fine print in that setting menu that says COVID opt out players are not going to be eligible for these IR spots, despite the system allowing it for the moment. 

So TLDR is that I'm not sure how it's going to work because right now the software is contradicting itself. 

ETA maybe I will change the setting to "allow" and then if there are players holding out for money reasons, we can police that easy enough in a jacked up season. If the system will allow. Because I absolutely want opt out players to not punish their owners whatsoever. They should absolutely be able to go to limitless IR spots. Offseason cutdowns next year could be a little contentious. Probably need some flexibility there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a couple things on MFL tonight in a league I commission. Justin Jefferson is listed as "IR - COVID" and Damien Williams is listed as "H" for "Holdout". The system allowed me to place both on IR on my roster, even though there is a setting to allow or not allow players who are holding out on IR. Sort of the Leveon Bell rule. We voted on it last year (Melvin Gordon IIRC) but then MFL added the feature. It predates COVID and was intended for contract disputes. 

But I have it set to "not allowed" for (contract) holdouts. MFL has some new fine print in that setting menu that says COVID opt out players are not going to be eligible for these IR spots, despite the system allowing it for the moment. 

So TLDR is that I'm not sure how it's going to work because right now the software is contradicting itself. 

ETA maybe I will change the setting to "allow" and then if there are players holding out for money reasons, we can police that easy enough in a jacked up season. If the system will allow. Because I absolutely want opt out players to not punish their owners whatsoever. They should absolutely be able to go to limitless IR spots. Offseason cutdowns next year could be a little contentious. Probably need some flexibility there as well.
You have to change the setting to allow "H" designated players to be moved to IR.  I did it last night and it worked fine.

The Zookeeper@MattPriceFF

I just sent out COVID bylaws for all of my leagues and then generated a generic version. Feel free to use it, adjust it, share it, question it, comment on it, and/or poke holes in it

Generic Covid Bylaws for 2020 startup leagues

These rules are subject to change as more information becomes available or better solutions arise. 2020 scenarios Shortened season - Begins as expected but is shut down early and not resumed Delayed...

docs.google.com

6:31 PM · Aug 2, 2020

==================

LINK:  Generic Covid Bylaws for 2020 startup leagues

The Zookeeper@MattPriceFF

I just sent out COVID bylaws for all of my leagues and then generated a generic version. Feel free to use it, adjust it, share it, question it, comment on it, and/or poke holes in it

Generic Covid Bylaws for 2020 startup leagues

These rules are subject to change as more information becomes available or better solutions arise. 2020 scenarios Shortened season - Begins as expected but is shut down early and not resumed Delayed...

docs.google.com

6:31 PM · Aug 2, 2020

==================

LINK:  Generic Covid Bylaws for 2020 startup leagues
I am going through this scenario now in my league.  Thanks for your plan of attack, this helps. 

It's safe to assume players will test positive and miss games this season. I saw a thread for aborted season but not for roster rules. 

1) How will the NFL designate these players (O/IR/S/etc)? 

2) How will sites handle these players? eligible for Injured/Out or IR slots? Asking yahoo mostly but should be discussed for all platforms. 

3) Finally, what is your league doing, if anything, to offer bench flexibility in the event teams have a couple players out for positive tests? 

Any other COVID specific scenarios leagues should be addressing? 
I've added two extra IR slots in the leagues I commish for Covid-19 list players. In redraft we never used IR slots but even there we will have 2 this season.

Users who are viewing this thread