Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Faust

Dynasty: WR Jaylen Waddle, Alabama

Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranks Alabama junior Jaylen Waddle fifth among wideouts eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft coming into the 2020 season.

One of the players ranked ahead of Waddle is fellow Crimson tide wideout Jaylen Waddle, so yeah, Alabama is going to be fine at wide receiver even without Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs. A five-star recruit, Waddle has had to play behind those names for most of his two seasons with the program, but still has shown off the ability to make big plays, as Brugler notes. "While he has separation quickness, Waddle’s separation refinement requires development," he writes. "There is no questioning his burst at the top of patterns, but he can be more efficient with his footwork to better set up corners and improve his stem releases." If he can refine his routes, Waddle is a lock to go in the first two rounds of next year's draft -- assuming he doesn't return to school, of course. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 19, 2020, 12:25 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh projected the Cincinnati Bengals to select Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle with the No. 3 overall pick.

This is the loftiest mock draft perch we have seen for Waddle in the early spate of thought exercises for next spring. Writes Farabaugh, "Waddle is a bit of a surprise here, but he sets himself apart by showcasing an elite ability to dictate what a defense does. After the catch, Waddle is dangerous, shifty, and elusive." The analyst sees a Bengals-Waddle marriage as very realistic given the team's current roster -- though maybe with a trade down -- noting that "A.J. Green’s future with the team is anything but certain and John Ross has not manifested into anything significant yet."

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 13, 2020, 3:13 PM ET

Pro Football Focus ranks Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle the top returning kick returner for the 2020 season.

Waddle (5'10"/182) returned just five kicks last year, but they were for 175 yards, including a 98-yard touchdown. He was also able to return 20 punts for 487 yards and a score on top of his 45-848-7 line he put up as a receiver. Waddle was a five-star recruit who has put up impressive numbers despite playing behind a plethora of talented wideouts. Two of those wide receivers -- Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy -- are off to the NFL, so Waddle should be a go-to option as well as one of the top returners in college football.

May 4, 2020, 1:53 PM ET

In his first mock for the 2021 NFL Draft, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle to the Dolphins with the No. 5 pick.

If Waddle did indeed fly off the board to the Dolphins next spring, the 5-foot-10, 182-pounder would be linking up with former teammate Tua Tagovailoa once more. We're all about that kind of synergy 'round these parts. Miller refers to Waddle as possessing a "blend between [Jerry] Jeudy's routes and [Henry] Ruggs' speed." Not too shabby. This particular mock goes hog wild with early receivers, tagging four (Ja'Marr Chase, Waddle, Devonta Smith and Justyn Ross) into the top-10. 

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 30, 2020, 11:18 AM ET

Pro Football Focus' Anthony Treash passes along that Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle "ranked behind only CeeDee Lamb in PFF grade, yards after the catch per reception and passer rating generated when in the slot (these past two seasons)."

"On targets in the slot with 'open' separation (more than a couple of steps), Waddle averaged 13.0 yards after the catch per reception while also tacking on 14 broken tackles," Treash writes of the 5-foot-10, 182-pound speedster. Waddle notched a 33-560-6 receiving line in 2019, but keep in mind that that line came with Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs on the field. In 2020, it'll be Waddle and Devonta Smith leading the way. Treash ranks Waddle as the No. 4 receiver in college football for the upcoming season.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 22, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

Posted (edited)

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Jaylen Waddle has a rare combination  of explosiveness and speed. He change direction and slip through contact just as well as he can beat defensive pursuit in the open field.

Waddle has the ~traits~ to develop into a top 5 route runner in the NFL with added polish.

https://twitter.com/bradkelly17/status/1292491694949249024?s=21

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Jaylen Waddle’s freshman season:

•57 targets

•45 receptions (79%🔥)

•848 yards (14.9 yds per target 👀)

•7 touchdowns

SEC Freshman of the Year

https://twitter.com/bradkelly17/status/1104141059859320833?s=21

Edited by Faust

We're wrapping up our devy draft right now and Waddle was one of my top two choices on the clock at 1.04. I ultimately went with Kyle Pitts instead (TE-premium), but it was not an easy decision. It was basically a coin flip for me and I opted for the guy who has more format-specific value. In a standard PPR league I would be thrilled to get Waddle. I noticed him last season and when I was going through highlights of this class he was one of the few guys whose ability really popped off the screen.

I would say he's the WR version of Darren Sproles. Lacks ideal height, but has very good speed and absolutely unreal joystick quickness. That's his hallmark trait. He's one of the most fluid and elusive WRs I've ever seen. You can name any guy from that mold like McCluster, Cooks, and Tavon; and Waddle is better. The only real limitation on his game is size. He has solid bulk for his height, but I'd guess that he's only about 5'8". He's noticeably short and will not be a factor on jump balls or contested catch situations. On the other hand, his ability to uncover and create space is so exceptional that most of his catches won't be contested.

First round talent, IMO, and possibly top 10-20 overall. I would take him over Rondale Moore and I can't say I'm 100% sold that Chase is better. Chase is bigger and more of a straight-line powerhouse, but he definitely can't do the stuff Waddle can do from a quickness and agility standpoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle scored two touchdowns and caught eight passes for 134 yards in a 38-19 win over Missouri on Saturday. 

A very impressive start to the season for Waddle. The former five-star recruit scored both of his touchdowns in the first-half, and he came up just short of adding a third. And by just short, we mean inches. Let's remember that while DeVonta Smith is back, Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy -- both first-round picks -- are not; meaning there are catches in this offense to be had. Waddle was still able to put up a 45-848-7 line despite the presence of those two, and it's likely he blows those rates out of the water this summer. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout will look to do it again next Saturday against Texas A&M. 

Sep 26, 2020, 10:19 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh writes that Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle is "underrated" in his route-running prowess.

"Waddle has true, teach tape route running form for smaller, speedy receivers. There are many nuances that he has down. The art of deception for a wide receiver is one of their biggest strengths over defensive backs, especially when you have as much speed as Waddle," Farabaugh writes of the 5-foot-10, 182-pound Alabama junior. Not every evaluator is quite as comfortable with Waddle's routes, though, with The Athletic's Dane Brugler writing earlier this summer that the wideout "can be more efficient with his footwork to better set up corners and improve his stem releases. Brugler ranks Waddle as his No. 5 wide receiver in the prospective spring draft class.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Aug 27, 2020, 2:43 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle turned five catches into 142 yards with a touchdown in a 52-24 thrashing on Saturday of Texas A&M. 

The breakout season is on. Waddle's day was sort of quiet before he scored an 87-yard touchdown in the middle of the third from Mac Jones that gave Alabama a 42-17 lead. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout also scored twice in the opener against Missouri, so he's gone over the century mark twice and reached the end zone thrice to begin this season. Waddle will likely do both again next Saturday against Ole Miss. 

Oct 3, 2020, 6:59 PM ET

It's been so exciting to watch him this year without Ruggs and Jeudy. So far so good and he looks better than both. He was better than both last year even. I haven't fully gone through 2021 rookies or anything but I have a hard time imagining Waddle isn't one of my top5. 

Alabama junior WR Jaylen Waddle turned six receptions into 161 yards with a touchdown in Saturday's 41-24 win over Georgia. 

Jaylen Waddle is faster than you. He showed as much on a 90-yard touchdown connection with Mac Jones that gave Alabama a 27-24 lead where he simply ran past the Georgia defense. Waddle has been outstanding so far in 2020, and has gone over the hundred-yard mark in all four games with four touchdowns thus far. The 5-foot-10, 182-pound wideout will run past the Volunteers' defense next Saturday when Alabama faces off against Tennessee.

Oct 17, 2020, 11:41 PM ET