What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Protest-RIOT Thread*** Police Officers fleeing Seattle and urban areas. (1 Viewer)

Well then the media is lying.
Hasn't this already been pointed out?  We have page after page after page after page on this site whining about how the "media" conflated, exaggerates, misrepresents etc somehow they have suddenly become the bastions of truth on this subject?  Does that make sense to you?  I can't say it does to me :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasn't this already been pointed out?  We have page after page after page after page on this site whining about how the "media" conflated, exaggerates, misrepresents etc somehow they have suddenly become the bastions of truth on this subject?  Does that make sense to you?  I can't say it does to me :shrug:  
I will also point out the questions I’ve posed on this subject over the past few days have gone unanswered.   

• Smile
Reactions: rct
Driving out of Portland east on I-84 around 3pm and I spy in the sky a giant airplane approaching PDX.  It looked like it was going about 5 MPH, just slowly approaching the city's airport over the Columbia River.  Ominous.  As the plane began to intersect our path, I gazed up and noted this behemoth had no markings at all, no decals, nothing.  Just a greenish, blueish monster.  I turned to my wife and said "Here comes more Feds".  :(

It's a feeling of violation.  Nobody wants them here.  Our city is protesting peacefully.  The vandalism and looting are a tiny part of this overall story and are in the past.  What's left is soccer moms, leaf blower dads, vets, teachers, concerned citizens all exercising our rights to protest.  Let me type that again - EXERCISING OUR RIGHTS.  You know, the same thing the gun nuts shout about the 2nd amendment.  Guess the 1st isn't important to them.  

The comical thing is that this is blowing up in Mr. Trump's face.  The citizens of Portland are outsmarting the Feds.  They didn't bank on moms and dads showing up with umbrellas, gas masks, helmets and leaf blowers.  They didn't come here to fight Carls and Susans.  They came here to fight and it sure is hard to do that when your opponent is unwilling and reasonable.  

Go find your blood lust somewhere else.  This is our ####### city.  Beat it. 

So to start off and be extremely clear I ask this with zero intentions of trying to pick a fight. Or play gotcha. I honestly think it’s a vexing issue  

So if news and Internet can’t be trusted because it’s biased, slanted and “fake”. Which is Unfortunately our reality across the most news sources. And first hand accounts can’t be trusted because they’re biased views or “agendas” lead some to believe that they are lying or telling half truths (regardless of party affiliation as this is a human condition certainly not one specific to right or left).  How does one come to a decision on what’s happening in places they don’t first-hand witness? The arguments you’re making, while I understand them, cut both ways. The videos you’re watching online are likely people showing things specific to what they want to show. And based on your argument that the people who live there have an agenda because they’re left leaning, works the other way too when showing the violence and are right leaning.  

It seems to me the argument of dismissal of first-hand accounts because of perceived biased ultimately dismisses any first-hand accounts.  
This is really prescient and I don't know if anyone has the answers.

How do we know what's happening?  If you scan the far right-wing twitter, you'd think anarchists are burning the city down.  If you scan the far left-wing twitter, you'd think Nazis are tear-gassing soccer moms.  

What's the truth?  Obviously it's in the middle, but without going there, who knows?  And if you go there and report on it, only those that are aligned with you will believe you anyway.  

Driving out of Portland east on I-84 around 3pm and I spy in the sky a giant airplane approaching PDX.  It looked like it was going about 5 MPH, just slowly approaching the city's airport over the Columbia River.  Ominous.  As the plane began to intersect our path, I gazed up and noted this behemoth had no markings at all, no decals, nothing.  Just a greenish, blueish monster.  I turned to my wife and said "Here comes more Feds".  :(

It's a feeling of violation.  Nobody wants them here.  Our city is protesting peacefully.  The vandalism and looting are a tiny part of this overall story and are in the past.  What's left is soccer moms, leaf blower dads, vets, teachers, concerned citizens all exercising our rights to protest.  Let me type that again - EXERCISING OUR RIGHTS.  You know, the same thing the gun nuts shout about the 2nd amendment.  Guess the 1st isn't important to them.  

The comical thing is that this is blowing up in Mr. Trump's face.  The citizens of Portland are outsmarting the Feds.  They didn't bank on moms and dads showing up with umbrellas, gas masks, helmets and leaf blowers.  They didn't come here to fight Carls and Susans.  They came here to fight and it sure is hard to do that when your opponent is unwilling and reasonable.  

First you reported there was no looting or vandalism and everything was peaceful and we just didn't know cause we weren't there.  NOW you are saying oh yeah well there actually WAS violence and looting, but it's all in the past now.   :eek:

As a guy with no political affiliations and who hasn't really closely followed this story, this is how I perceive what's happened.  GM/dkp or others closely following it, feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.  I've love to get a non-partisan view of what's happening.

I imagine that what is happening is that there are peaceful protests during the day, and they turn violent at night.  The left can say "these are peaceful people", because they know peaceful people that go there during the day.  The right can say "these are people that want violence", because at night there is violence.

Both agendas can be framed in a way that fits the pro/against Trump narrative.

As a guy with no political affiliations and who hasn't really closely followed this story, this is how I perceive what's happened.  GM/dkp or others closely following it, feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.  I've love to get a non-partisan view of what's happening.

I imagine that what is happening is that there are peaceful protests during the day, and they turn violent at night.  The left can say "these are peaceful people", because they know peaceful people that go there during the day.  The right can say "these are people that want violence", because at night there is violence.

Well I mean if you mean soccer moms stomping their feet, yeah there is violence.  

Sending fed goons into American cities is only escalating the chaos.  Which, of course, is exactly what Trump wants and needs to run his Hail Mary “law and order” re-election strategy.   The right wing news needs the video clips to push the fear narrative to make it all work.  

Sending fed goons into American cities is only escalating the chaos.  Which, of course, is exactly what Trump wants and needs to run his Hail Mary “law and order” re-election strategy.   The right wing news needs the video clips to push the fear narrative to make it all work.  
Exactly why protesters should not take the bait. Don't provide the stage for the drama to play out. Protest until sunset and go home. Let the "force" stand out there by themselves. Make a point by not engaging.

• Sad
Reactions: rct

Hey Shader.  Honestly I’m not following the situation super closely because quite frankly it’s hard to know what’s really happening. But I think you and I are pretty much in alignment.  I think there’s clearly some unrest and ####ty/criminal  activity happening in some isolated areas but I also don’t think it’s the anarchy that some are making it out to be.  I tend to want to lean towards the people who live there and what they are witnessing (and I would be doing this if they were right leaning people saying it’s a really bad situation too for the record) but nowadays with peoples heavy agendas all around it’s harder to be as certain about that as I once was.  

I think the reporting could be better. To me the way I think we *could tell, possibly, is to understand the situation *before the DHS security forces showed up in paramilitary style unies. They were not always there, they just showed up one day (I think around the weekend of the 10th or just before). I just haven't seen the need or the explanation from before that time frame justifying the deployment of these forces.

My take would be that the huge crowds that form during the day and as the evening progresses are by and large peaceful. I've been a part of multiple protests in person. And yes, when it starts to get late that is when things turn ugly but only in that 3 to 5 block radius right where the Justice Center is located.  I guess I might have to drive to downtown at night and shoot video that shows that a majority of downtown Portland is untouched and normal.  But I can see how people's perceptions are that Portland is war zone when they only show you footage from those 3 to 5 blocks around the parks and the Justice Center.

Turn off CNN, and climb out of your bubble. Plenty of evidence of molotov cocktails, mortar shells, commercial grade fireworks, etc. Twitter is your friend there.

Here is a report from an actual reporter who was in the federal building this weekend:

https://twitter.com/MikeBalsamo1/status/1287606651491516420

My take would be that the huge crowds that form during the day and as the evening progresses are by and large peaceful. I've been a part of multiple protests in person. And yes, when it starts to get late that is when things turn ugly but only in that 3 to 5 block radius right where the Justice Center is located.  I guess I might have to drive to downtown at night and shoot video that shows that a majority of downtown Portland is untouched and normal.  But I can see how people's perceptions are that Portland is war zone when they only show you footage from those 3 to 5 blocks around the parks and the Justice Center.
I swear I don't understand this "by and large" or "mostly" peaceful tag line I am seeing over and over.   I understand that many here get annoyed when some come on here and talk about the violence, and looting etc which everyone agrees is happening--and ignore the soccer moms who are just exercising there first amendment rights peacefully.   But it's equally maddening when those defending this use these lines like somehow it's ok.  I mean its ONLY a 3 or 5 block area.  And last week it was a block.   But the "majority" of downtown Portland is OK.  What does that even mean?   

I feel rather confident that you are correct here. 

But there's nothing necessarily wrong with showing the footage of where bad things are happening.  Typically news programs aren't going to show a lot of footage of peaceful areas in cities.  A city is typically too big for there to be protests across the entire city, they'll typically be confined to certain areas, right?

I feel rather confident that you are correct here. 

But there's nothing necessarily wrong with showing the footage of where bad things are happening.  Typically news programs aren't going to show a lot of footage of peaceful areas in cities.  A city is typically too big for there to be protests across the entire city, they'll typically be confined to certain areas, right?
Agreed. But people just need to know that the City of Portland is completely fine and not under siege or citizens aren't in danger (except from the feds/PPB) or any other hyperbolic BS like that.

You’re on your own.  Seattle police chief basically tells business owners tough luck about your property.   Apparently the berry pickers, leaf blower dads and soccer moms arnt all that are rioting. 

Places like Portland and Seattle tolerate violent protest, which emboldens the ones who will resort to violence.  It's that simple.
Nobody in Portland is tolerating violence.  That's why regular Janes and Joes are showing up....to get the violent Feds out of our ####### city.  

So there was no violence or property damage before the Feds showed up?
I think there is violence and property damage all over the world.  What's unique about my city is that the Feds are the ones unleashing the violence against citizens, arresting them without reading them their rights, kidnapping them and holding them against their will, refusing to identify themselves.  Our rights are being violated.  If this was your 2nd amendment rights being violated, you'd be screaming like a hyena about it.  But I guess you guys are okay with the loss of the 1st amendment protections.  Odd business, that. 

I think there is violence and property damage all over the world.  What's unique about my city is that the Feds are the ones unleashing the violence against citizens, arresting them without reading them their rights, kidnapping them and holding them against their will, refusing to identify themselves.  Our rights are being violated.  If this was your 2nd amendment rights being violated, you'd be screaming like a hyena about it.  But I guess you guys are okay with the loss of the 1st amendment protections.  Odd business, that. 
Who are “you guys”?

So before the feds came you have no issues with the violence and property damage ,and business losses caused by “peaceful protests”?

Who are “you guys”?

So before the feds came you have no issues with the violence and property damage ,and business losses caused by “peaceful protests”?
Bigger problem with police murdering George Floyd and countless other black people who were murdered by the police in our country.  Much bigger problem, but that's probably where you and I differ, GB. 

Well this is weird.  You can't see any violence from your back window and were completely unaware of anything happening, but you sure can see all of this.....Interesting.

I just can't for the life of me understand why you can't just admit that YES there is violence in your perfect city, it sucks and it needs to be dealt with, along with all the wonderful things you say.  Why cant you at least acknowledge that? 

ETA...I'm willing to acknowledge that not ALL the protesters are violent and many, probably most, are trying to do this in a peaceful manner.  However if you won't even admit that there is some bad things going on in this 1-3-5(and still growing) block area of Portland, how can anyone take you seriously?

Well this is weird.  You can't see any violence from your back window and were completely unaware of anything happening, but you sure can see all of this.....Interesting.

I just can't for the life of me understand why you can't just admit that YES there is violence in your perfect city, it sucks and it needs to be dealt with, along with all the wonderful things you say.  Why cant you at least acknowledge that? 

ETA...I'm willing to acknowledge that not ALL the protesters are violent and many, probably most, are trying to do this in a peaceful manner.  However if you won't even admit that there is some bad things going on in this 1-3-5(and still growing) block area of Portland, how can anyone take you seriously?
Never did say the city was perfect.  Never did say it was free of violence.  I just want the Feds to get the #### out.  :shrug:

You're aware these are different cities, right?  Portland and Seattle are not the same place to live?  I can draw you a map if you need it.
Aw, both northwest and rainy.  Tomato tomato.  😉

*btw have lived in both city’s. Loved Portland, Seattle was just too much rain and coffee shops for me.  

That's a very interesting change of stance.  But fair enough.   You want feds out.  Marked.
Yes, I am fully aware how badly you and your buddies want to play a game of 'GOT HIM' with me.  To that I would simply say "good luck".....I am not the droid you're looking for.

Yes, I am fully aware how badly you and your buddies want to play a game of 'GOT HIM' with me.  To that I would simply say "good luck".....I am not the droid you're looking for.
Dude..Im not interested in expending energy with you for a "gotcha" moment.  You just dont mean that much to me.  

Aw, both northwest and rainy.  Tomato tomato.  😉

*btw have lived in both city’s. Loved Portland, Seattle was just too much rain and coffee shops for me.  
I like to visit Seattle (in the summer) but would NEVER want to live there.   Well, 1)  I couldn't afford it.  and B)  It's just too hard to get around with traffic.

Portland's got its own set of problems INCLUDING LOOTING, RAPING, POOPING  VIOLENCE but it's more manageable and, at least for now, I can afford it.  I rarely drive anymore and can bike, walk, take the train anywhere I need to go.  And while our fair downtown area is under siege with rampant violence and irresponsible pooping, I'm just a 10 minute drive from the heart and haven't SEEN anything that even approximates a problem.  I mean, other than the bee that looked at me when I was picking berries. ;)

I haven't paid a ton of attention to what is going on in Portland, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear to me.  Regardless of the violence and vandalism by protesters, the feds have been ineffective at deescalating it.  My impression is that they are radically escalating tensions. 

I haven't paid a ton of attention to what is going on in Portland, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear to me.  Regardless of the violence and vandalism by protesters, the feds have been ineffective at deescalating it.  My impression is that they are radically escalating tensions. 
and I'll keep stating this point over and over. The protests were dying out. They were on their last legs and would surely have fizzled out by now with the hot weather. But Trump needed another distraction to keep from being responsible for almost 150,000 deaths under his watch. Once the feds came in, the protests become re-energized to levels never seen before surrounding the Justice Center.  Bigger crowds were formed early on, but those were in different parts of the city and usually during the marches across the bridges.

Users who are viewing this thread