Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Wheat

Official Protest Thread: Portland RIOTs, Death to America in Oakland, Chicago in Chaos, Mayors homes terrorized.

12 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Aw, both northwest and rainy.  Tomato tomato.  😉

*btw have lived in both city’s. Loved Portland, Seattle was just too much rain and coffee shops for me.  

You can’t have too many coffee shops. Same goes for bottle shops, taco places, and food trucks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

You've made it a point to remember my words in this thread and make direct quotes to me from the onset.  Your actions don't match up to your words.  

Weird.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to what is going on in Portland, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear to me.  Regardless of the violence and vandalism by protesters, the feds have been ineffective at deescalating it.  My impression is that they are radically escalating tensions. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Blutarsky said:

This is actually helpful. So was the situation where protesters/rioters shot fireworks at the federal courthouse and other buildings, on July 4th, the reason the DHS broke 200+ years of American tradition and sent interior federal police to a local city? This was the precipitating cause, this?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Just now, Dickies said:

I haven't paid a ton of attention to what is going on in Portland, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear to me.  Regardless of the violence and vandalism by protesters, the feds have been ineffective at deescalating it.  My impression is that they are radically escalating tensions. 

and I'll keep stating this point over and over. The protests were dying out. They were on their last legs and would surely have fizzled out by now with the hot weather. But Trump needed another distraction to keep from being responsible for almost 150,000 deaths under his watch. Once the feds came in, the protests become re-energized to levels never seen before surrounding the Justice Center.  Bigger crowds were formed early on, but those were in different parts of the city and usually during the marches across the bridges.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Well that was entirely expected.  When you have a group of people hell bent on utilizing violence and destruction to make their point, adding any sort of authority will escalate the tension.  However I don't think the idea of "Well let's not send in any law enforcement cause it will just make them more mad" is the right approach.

7 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

and I'll keep stating this point over and over. The protests were dying out. They were on their last legs and would surely have fizzled out by now with the hot weather. But Trump needed another distraction to keep from being responsible for almost 150,000 deaths under his watch. Once the feds came in, the protests become re-energized to levels never seen before surrounding the Justice Center.  Bigger crowds were formed early on, but those were in different parts of the city and usually during the marches across the bridges.

That's speculation.  Understood you feel that way but that's just your opinion.  However it is noted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

That's speculation.  Understood you feel that way but that's just your opinion.  However it is noted.

It is not how I feel it is what I know since I live here, I’ve been apart of the protests and I have friends/contacts that are down there every night.  

10 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Well that was entirely expected.  When you have a group of people hell bent on utilizing violence and destruction to make their point, adding any sort of authority will escalate the tension.  However I don't think the idea of "Well let's not send in any law enforcement cause it will just make them more mad" is the right approach.

Or we can drop the hyperbole and agree that law enforcement should work to prevent violence and vandalism, but use techniques designed to deescalate conflict instead of adding to it.  

Just now, urbanhack said:

It is not how I feel it is what I know since I live here, I’ve been apart of the protests and I have friends/contacts that are down there every night.  

I think this thread has shown, pretty well, that your friends etc aren't necessarily telling the whole story.  

Then you added the Trump thing, which is 100% speculation.  So I know you feel things....we all feel things...but that doesn't make them true.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Dickies said:

Or we can drop the hyperbole and agree that law enforcement should work to prevent violence and vandalism, but use techniques designed to deescalate conflict instead of adding to it.  

Ok.  I'm down for that.  Can we also ask that people protesting not resort to vandalism and violence?  Why is it always on law enforcement?  Can't people, you know, be decent?

Edited by supermike80
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Ok.  I'm down for that.  Can we also ask that people protesting not resort to vandalism and violence?  Why is it always on law enforcement?  Can't people, you know, be decent?

Of course we should demand people not resort to violence and vandalism, but I think we should hold the professionals trained to deal with these people to the highest standard possible and not just expect them to join in on the violence.

34 minutes ago, The General said:

You can’t have too many coffee shops. Same goes for bottle shops, taco places, and food trucks.

It was about 20 years ago now that I lived there but at one point I swear to God I stood on a corner downtown and three of the four corners had coffee shops on them. A Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks and a Seattle’s Best on the other corner.  That’s pure insanity. 

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

Of course we should demand people not resort to violence and vandalism, but I think we should hold the professionals trained to deal with these people to the highest standard possible and not just expect them to join in on the violence.

Where does it start?  To me, it starts with the protesting. If it was peaceful, this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever.  So fix that first.  OK?

9 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I think this thread has shown, pretty well, that your friends etc aren't necessarily telling the whole story.  

Then you added the Trump thing, which is 100% speculation.  So I know you feel things....we all feel things...but that doesn't make them true.

This is ridiculous. The man's in the city and has attended the protests. I can relate, lots of stories and reporting surrounding Katrina and the situation in New Orleans didn't meet up with reality. One of the greatest, best things about this website is the POV's you can can get from different places from around the country. We can all benefit from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Where does it start?  To me, it starts with the protesting. If it was peaceful, this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever.  So fix that first.  OK?

Are you suggesting we not allow protesting?

2 hours ago, Green Balloons said:

Land of the free my butt. 

Sorry, you can't vandalize and do criminal acts without repercussions.

20 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

That’s a fair point. It also includes how you feel about the situation

10 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Sorry, you can't vandalize and do criminal acts without repercussions.

Agreed.  Those who do should be arrested. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, urbanhack said:

Agreed.  Those who do should be arrested. 

I agree as well.  Maybe the peaceful protesters should put more peer pressure on the ones who are causing the problems and hurting the community and the perception on the community. 

If the crowd turns on the ones causing problems and it is peaceful there would be very little need for the Feds and Police.  

If I can ask a question though.  Why does the crowd keep trying to break through the perimeter set up and get to the Federal Building.  If they get though then what?  Then people are really going to get hurt.  Makes no sense to an outsider.

27 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

It was about 20 years ago now that I lived there but at one point I swear to God I stood on a corner downtown and three of the four corners had coffee shops on them. A Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks and a Seattle’s Best on the other corner.  That’s pure insanity. 

Starbucks meh, it'll do in a pinch...but the independent places that every neighborhood has that know what they are doing. The best. Cafe Diva in my hood, so good.

Been living in Portland for the last three years. Situation has been grossly blown out of proportion to feed narratives. Great copy for the Fox News propaganda machine, but not an accurate reflection of everyday life in this city. The area affected is tiny. Outside help was both unwanted and not needed. Publicity stunt for a failed administration testing the waters for more authoritarian tactics to cling to power amid catastrophic poll numbers and ever-declining approval ratings. Makes a great bogeyman sideshow to distract from Trump's gross ineptitude re: COVID, but don't believe the media hype. I'm getting e-mails from concerned family about "violent riots" tearing apart the city and LMAO. Business as usual here except for the quarantine-related closures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, EBF said:

Been living in Portland for the last three years. Situation has been grossly blown out of proportion to feed narratives. Great copy for the Fox News propaganda machine, but not an accurate reflection of everyday life in this city. The area affected is tiny. Outside help was both unwanted and not needed. Publicity stunt for a failed administration testing the waters for more authoritarian tactics to cling to power amid catastrophic poll numbers and ever-declining approval ratings. Makes a great bogeyman sideshow to distract from Trump's gross ineptitude re: COVID, but don't believe the media hype. I'm getting e-mails from concerned family about "violent riots" tearing apart the city and LMAO. Business as usual here except for the quarantine-related closures.

so the area affected, no businesses or residents there?

1 minute ago, shadrap said:

The protests take place at night, after business hours. Some idiots were looting, vandalizing, and destroying stuff on the first few nights, but by and large the protestors have been peaceful, especially considering how many people have participated. There's one small area around the justice center where some folks have been looking to stir up trouble, and there are certainly some bad apples in the crowd, but to present the situation as an "emergency" or a city "out of control" is grossly inaccurate. Actually, the protests were shrinking until Trump decided to use our city as a publicity stunt. Unfortunately, all it takes is one moron doing something stupid on video to provide "evidence" for the "Give those anarchists what they deserve!" knee-jerk crowd.

The much bigger issue affecting businesses in the city is the COVID-related closures, where Trump's flagrant mishandling of the pandemic has contributed to widespread devastation. Many popular restaurants and bars have gone under for good, and more will follow. This has affected local morale and the local economy more than some people protesting police brutality.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EBF said:

This is a great post.  

You, me and Hack should livestream this ish so the Supermikes of the world can get a true glimpse.  

They still won't believe it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EBF said:

Thank you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EBF said:

The protests take place at night, after business hours. Some idiots were looting, vandalizing, and destroying stuff on the first few nights, but by and large the protestors have been peaceful, especially considering how many people have participated. There's one small area around the justice center where some folks have been looking to stir up trouble, and there are certainly some bad apples in the crowd, but to present the situation as an "emergency" or a city "out of control" is grossly inaccurate. Actually, the protests were shrinking until Trump decided to use our city as a publicity stunt. Unfortunately, all it takes is one moron doing something stupid on video to provide "evidence" for the "Give those anarchists what they deserve!" knee-jerk crowd.

The much bigger issue affecting businesses in the city is the COVID-related closures, where Trump's flagrant mishandling of the pandemic has contributed to widespread devastation. Many popular restaurants and bars have gone under for good, and more will follow. This has affected local morale and the local economy more than some people protesting police brutality.

Another great post.  Guy is on fire!

Gee..everyone who lives IN Portland has pretty much the same perspective.

2 minutes ago, EBF said:

so looting, vandalism, et al was minimal until the Feds got there to protect a federal building & now the looting, vandalism, et al is on him?

• Love 1

Just now, urbanhack said:

most in Seattle had the same prospective until dead bodies started showing up.

• Love 1

Just now, General Malaise said:

This is a great post.  

You, me and Hack should livestream this ish so the Supermikes of the world can get a true glimpse.  

They still won't believe it. 

People who have been marinating in Fox News and far-right media are largely beyond the point of intervention. They live an alternate reality. They hear what they want to hear, and perform whatever mental gymnastics are required to confirm their views. With the fragmentation of traditional media and the rise of social media, it is very easy to find a dark corner of the Internet that will tell you whatever you want to believe on whatever issue.

I walked by the protestors on a nightly basis for probably a month solid, but suddenly a guy from the middle of nowhere knows more about the situation because he saw a 30 second video clip of a crazed man with a hammer. It's wild. We are living out a 1984 type of situation in real time where the truth is subjective.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, shadrap said:

most in Seattle had the same prospective until dead bodies started showing up.

OK.

4 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

I've seen this Asimov quote circulating the Internet and it's never been more apt:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

People who have never even been to Portland and have no first-hand knowledge of the city insist that they are more informed about Portland than people who, you know, actually live here. Like I said, it's wild to witness. It's like someone pointing at the sky and saying, "No, no, you're wrong. That's not blue. Everyone knows the sky is red."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, EBF said:

I've seen this Asimov quote circulating the Internet and it's never been more apt:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

People who have never even been to Portland and have no first-hand knowledge of the city insist that they are more informed about Portland than people who, you know, actually live here. Like I said, it's wild to witness. It's like someone pointing at the sky and saying, "No, no, you're wrong. That's not blue. Everyone knows the sky is red."

I wish you & the city the best.

30 minutes ago, shadrap said:

Actually, no. The current protests are taking place downtown, in front of a federal courthouse, which is surrounded on one side by a park and on another side by the county jail and police headquarters.

1 hour ago, EBF said:

pretty much what John Oliver covered last night.  good post.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

The interesting thing to me about this is that this is from May 30th and yet the administration claims as of somewhere around the 2nd week of July it was responding to violence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The interesting thing to me about this is that this is from May 30th and yet the administration claims as of somewhere around the 2nd week of July it was responding to violence.

The interesting thing to me is that some claim the violence started after the feds came in.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, John Blutarsky said:

The interesting thing to me is that some claim the violence started after the feds came in.

I don't think graffiti and broken glass in store windows is the violence that Wolf, Barr and Cuccinelli are yodeling about.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I don't think graffiti and broken glass in store windows is the violence that Wolf, Barr and Cuccinelli are yodeling about.

Unbelievable , as Joe says....walk away.

Edited by John Blutarsky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

yeah, anecdotal evidence is great when it supports your narrative.  👍

Anyone on the right cites that type of evidence and they are told that "anecdotes don't count".   I don't need limousine liberals in their gated communities looking out their front window telling me everything is "OK".   We've all seen the pictures and videos that say otherwise.  And these aren't the same pictures/videos circulating - these are different ones every day.

And the old "you don't live here so you don't know" excuse is laughable.  If that's the case, then I better not see any liberal on these boards talk about any other city except the one they live in - EVER.  In fact, you better not talk about subjects you're not an expert on either if we're going to go down this path you want to create.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Unbelievable , as Joe says....walk away.

What's even funnier is that they think these acts of destruction or OK.  I bet not a single one of them has any skin in the game during these riots and criminality - no personal property destroyed at all.  These gated-community liberals think it's okay as long it's not any of their stuff that's destroyed.

Unbelievable attitude.  "The other guy should suffer for equality - not me".

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

What's even funnier is that they think these acts of destruction or OK.  I bet not a single one of them has any skin in the game during these riots and criminality - no personal property destroyed at all.  These gated-community liberals think it's okay as long it's not any of their stuff that's destroyed.

Unbelievable attitude.

Was that how Bluto read it? I hope not, it wasn't my point. My point was that broken windows and graffiti on May 30th cannot justify US interior troops being used on July 10th and not even President Barr or Interior Minister Wolf are claiming that.

And IIRC not even the Trumpiest Trumpist posted or even seemed to care about the Portland protests on May 30th. Guess when they started caring.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Was that how Bluto read it? I hope not, it wasn't my point. My point was that broken windows and graffiti on May 30th cannot justify US interior troops being used on July 10th and not even President Barr or Interior Minister Wolf are claiming that.

And IIRC not even the Trumpiest Trumpist posted or even seemed to care about the Portland protests on May 30th. Guess when they started caring.

You have to remember that PEOPLE own these businesses and other property that is being destroyed.  Human beings. People with their life savings invested in this stuff.  To sit back and let The 2020 Summer of LoveTM riots and criminality happen and do absolutely nothing about it as these Democrats have done is beyond terrible.  The Feds need to step in to not only protect them, but Federal property too.

If I lived there, I would be livid that my elected representatives took orders from the mob.  Especially if it was something I owned.

Edited by BladeRunner

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

The Feds need to step in to not only protect them, but Federal property too.

Just so you understand I agree with most of the rest of your post. My city was torn apart by looting once. It also had a wild west period with little to no police coverage, I can tell you what that looks like, we had National Guard patrolling our streets.

However on the quoted, you think that what Bluto posted in those pics - smashed windows and graffiti - is sufficient reason for bringing in federal security forces, especially considering the agency bringing them in didn't even exist before 2001?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Just so you understand I agree with most of the rest of your post. My city was torn apart by looting once. It also had a wild west period with little to no police coverage, I can tell you what that looks like, we had National Guard patrolling our streets.

However on the quoted, you think that what Bluto posted in those pics - smashed windows and graffiti - is sufficient reason for bringing in federal security forces, especially considering the agency bringing them in didn't even exist before 2001?

I do.  Only because the Democrats are sitting back, laughing and taking orders from the mob and pretending that this truly is, The 2020 Summer of Love.

• Laughing 1