What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 / CoronaVirus - terms/phrases (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Feel free to add your own and I'll move some to the OP.  Our society has obviously changed and there are a ton of new terms and phrases that are part of our normal, everyday lexicon.  Whatcha got?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antibodies - An antibody, also known as an immunoglobulin, is a large, Y-shaped protein produced mainly by plasma cells that is used by the immune system to neutralize pathogens such as pathogenic bacteria and viruses.

Asymptomatic - not showing signs of illness, as it relates to COVID-19

Bubble - term coined by NBA for a closed cluster of hotels and gyms that no one is to leave, and if they do, they face testing/quarantine before return

Contactless Delivery - restaurant workers are no longer touching your food with their hands, not they should have been anyways

Contact Tracing - figuring out who an infected person has been in close contact with

Curbside Pickup - so not only are workers not touching your food, but they are bringing your food out to the parking lot for you in an effort to promote even more social distancing

Epidemiologist - Epidemiologists are public health professionals who investigate patterns and causes of disease and injury in humans. They seek to reduce the risk and occurrence of negative health outcomes through research, community education and health policy.

Essential Worker - someone defined by our government as providing a critical service, thus able to work in an office (not "work from home," see below) or in stores, medical workers, pharmacists, etc.

Face Covering - generic term for "mask"

Flattening the Curve - the attempt at slowing COVID-19's spread

Flubro (or JustaFlu) - Someone who thinks that COVID-19 is "just like the flu", downplaying its severity

Fomite -  objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture

HCW - HealthCare Worker (see "essential worker")

Herd Immunity - When enough people have developed immunity to COVID-19 that the risk of transmission is either eliminated or significantly reduced.

Hot Spot - a location (usually city or region) where COVID cases are spiking or have spiked considerably

New Normal - a goofy way of saying "these are how things are now and we should get used to it"

Normalizing - a term some have used to dismiss the actual spike in cases/deaths for largely political reasons

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - equipment used/worn to minimize exposure to hazards/transmission of the disease

Quarantine - The practice of isolating people who appear healthy, but may have been exposed to COVID-19. They can be voluntary or government-mandated.

Shelter-in-Place -  staying home, except to go out for "essentials" such as groceries, medicine, and to care for loved ones.

Social Distancing - the practice of staying at least 6' away from others in social situations

Super-Spreader - a person, for reasons unknown, that can affect a large number of people

The 'Rona - a fairly lame shortened version of "CoronaVirus"

These Uncertain Times - Go #### yourself. A phrase used by a lot of companies right now in advertising.  See "we're all in this togther".

Ventilator - hospital machine that aids in breathing when there is significant lung damage

Viral Load -  the amount of virions necessary to cause infection following an exposure.

Virtual Happy Hour - where folks get together on Zoom or another video conferencing service to chat and drink adult beverages while isolated at their respective homes

We're All in this Together - BS phrase used by a lot of companies in advertising

Work from home - not a new phrase but supremely known now.  Also, per posted below, a new term for surfing the internet. 

Zooming - taking part in a Zoom conference call.  Pants are definitely optional, just don't stand up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normalizing - a term some have used to dismiss the actual spike in cases/deaths for largely political reasons

Too specific?

Good stuff so far.... how about some more "pop culture" ones?  Most of them irritate the crap outta me  :lol:

I'll also add

Viral Load - amount of virus particles you're capable of passing on. Alternatively, a really good time that results in a massive hangover.
You’re correct in how that term has been bastardized by the lay press and some public health officials, but viral load really only refers to the quantity of virus in a given volume of fluid, which you may or may not be capable of spreading. The term classically was reserved for virus in the blood of patients with HIV and viral hepatitis, and never really utilized for sputum in infections with droplet/airborne spread.

What people usually are interested is a related term, the infectious dose or inoculum, which refers to the amount of virions necessary to cause infection following an exposure.

Flubro - Someone who puts on the tough guy act when not wearing a mask, saying "It's just a flu bro!"  Easily identified by their white dad sneakers, khaki shorts, polo shirts and Guy Fieri sunglasses.

N95

Face Shield

Hoarding

Lockdown 

Opening up

Covid Party

Mask Mandate

Antibodies - An antibody, also known as an immunoglobulin, is a large, Y-shaped protein produced mainly by plasma cells that is used by the immune system to neutralize pathogens such as pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
Can we get the kindergarten definition here? I mean, I guess it's nice to know it's Y-shaped, but this definition doesn't really explain to morons like me what it is or why it's important.

Can we get the kindergarten definition here? I mean, I guess it's nice to know it's Y-shaped, but this definition doesn't really explain to morons like me what it is or why it's important.
special proteins that mark the bad stuff in your body so your body knows what to destroy.

Users who are viewing this thread