What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was "CWEBB" the first sports name abbreviation of its kind? (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Obviously there are shortened names and nicknames, but CWEBB is the first of WAY too many first letter, last name kinda abbreviation that I can recall, but was he the first? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember which came first, but I know the first time I became aware/sick of the concept was with J-Lo.

There was also HoJo for the baseball player Howard Johnson in the '80s, but that gets an asterisk because it was already the nickname for the hotel chain.

I can't remember which came first, but I know the first time I became aware/sick of the concept was with J-Lo.

There was also HoJo for the baseball player Howard Johnson in the '80s, but that gets an asterisk because it was already the nickname for the hotel chain.
Good one! Her and Webber both ascended to stardom around the same time. 

Also agree with you on Ho-Jo. I don't think he qualifies in the same manner. 

Not related to the OP, but "Bennifer" with Ben Affleck and J-Lo was the first couple combo I remember.

zftcg said:
I think we have a winner! She first came to prominence in 1988, when Webber and Lopez were still teenagers.

Can anyone think of an earlier example?
Hold the phone! Great answer but it’s not exactly the same. Close and not annoying but it’s not the same as just using the first letter and then last name or abbreviation.

Flo and Jo rhyme. Cee-Webb doesn’t. 

Same ballpark, different field.

Hold the phone! Great answer but it’s not exactly the same. Close and not annoying but it’s not the same as just using the first letter and then last name or abbreviation.

Yeah, that did occur to me. Hey, you started the thread, so you get to set the ground rules.

OK, so we're back to CWebb/J-Lo. As I recall, Lopez first became famous in the mid-'90s with Selena and Out of Sight, but I don't think anyone was calling her J-Lo at that point. Feels like that probably started late '90s. Webber was famous from his freshman year in '91, but I have no idea when he picked up his nickname. (Personally, I was a huge fan of his at Michigan and never remember calling him that, although I became aware at some point that others did.)

If we're talking about who did the most to popularize the trend, it was Lopez by a mile. But on the narrow question of who was first, I think it was Webber, though I'm not sure.

Yeah, that did occur to me. Hey, you started the thread, so you get to set the ground rules.

OK, so we're back to CWebb/J-Lo. As I recall, Lopez first became famous in the mid-'90s with Selena and Out of Sight, but I don't think anyone was calling her J-Lo at that point. Feels like that probably started late '90s. Webber was famous from his freshman year in '91, but I have no idea when he picked up his nickname. (Personally, I was a huge fan of his at Michigan and never remember calling him that, although I became aware at some point that others did.)

If we're talking about who did the most to popularize the trend, it was Lopez by a mile. But on the narrow question of who was first, I think it was Webber, though I'm not sure.
Agreed on all counts.

The first time I recall hearing “Cwebb” was when Webber was with the Kings, not before. So that’s what, 98ish? 

On J-Lo, I did find this:

Back in 2001, the singer herself told the Chicago Tribune that her fans had given her the affectionate moniker. "It's something my music fans named me. I'd go to MTV or wherever and there would be kids carrying signs that said J. Lo,” she said

Just remembered this: When I was in high school (Class of '91), there was a kid named Albert R who picked up the nickname Ralbert. My senior year I was in a play with his younger sister Emily, so we started calling her Remily. There were two other Emilys involved in the play (let's say Grant and Thompson), so they became Gremily and Themily.

Doesn't technically fit because we put the last initial first, but just sayin' ...

Just remembered this: When I was in high school (Class of '91), there was a kid named Albert R who picked up the nickname Ralbert. My senior year I was in a play with his younger sister Emily, so we started calling her Remily. There were two other Emilys involved in the play (let's say Grant and Thompson), so they became Gremily and Themily.

Doesn't technically fit because we put the last initial first, but just sayin' ...
Next time you want to tell this story, don't. 

How did you pronounce the bold? 

But her name was Florence Joyner

Users who are viewing this thread