What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much money would it take for you to participate in a Covid-19 "challenge trial"? (1 Viewer)

How much money would it take for you to participate in a Covid-19 "challenge trial"?

• I'd do it for free

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10,000

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • $100,000

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • $1,000,000

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • More than $1M

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I wouldn't do it for any amount

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

zftcg

Footballguy
Was listening to a podcast the other day where they were explaining the concept of a "challenge trial" for a vaccine.

My understanding is that with a typical vaccine trial, they inject you and then send you off into the world and see if you get infected. The problem with doing that for a Covid vaccine is that, particularly with social distancing and masking in place, it might take too long to generate results. So instead they do a "challenge trial", which is highly unusual and borderline unethical: Inject the subject with the vaccine, and then directly expose them to the virus. (I may have some of these details wrong, but this is all a hypothetical so just go with it for now.)

Assuming that's the scenario, would you be willing to participate, and how much money would it take to get you to do so?

Arguing in favor, there's a decent chance that the vaccine will be effective and you won't get it at all, and if you do get it, you will know right away and presumably receive the best possible care, with no risk of spreading it to your family members. Plus, if you assume that most of us will get it eventually anyway, this gives you the opportunity to get it out of the way and likely have some level of immunity going forward. And I suppose for the public-spirited, there's the benefit of contributing to a project that may end up saving hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide.

Arguing against ... well, there's the fact that you would be knowingly exposing yourself to a potentially deadly virus. I actually think there's an element of the Trolley Problem here. It's one thing to know you may eventually get the virus. It's another to affirmatively take steps to make it happen.

Anyway, curious to hear other's thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your options I would need $100k because that's sizable enough to cover what I can only assume would be 14-30 days away from work and family as well as to account for any sort of minor risk should the virus impact me worse than I'd anticipate. 

I'd note that my brother in law had it and he's not had a sense of taste and smell for about 2 months now. No idea whether it'll return and, if it doesn't, no way that's worth less than one million.

I'd note that my brother in law had it and he's not had a sense of taste and smell for about 2 months now
Omg that would be depressing. 

Someone in one of my leagues lost his for a few days, he's right around 30. Two months, wow, scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd note that my brother in law had it and he's not had a sense of taste and smell for about 2 months now. No idea whether it'll return and, if it doesn't, no way that's worth less than one million.
Yeah I think the high level of uncertainty is a major factor.

An analogy: My wife and older son are currently out of town, so it's just me and the five-year-old. I normally like to get up first thing in the morning and go running, but doing that now would mean leaving him alone in the house. He would probably be OK if I did that, but what stops me is the fear that, if something did go tragically wrong, I would have to live the rest of my life asking myself over and over why I took that unnecessary risk.

I think there would be a similar feeling if you got Covid and suffered life-long effects. "Why on earth did I willingly subject myself to this?" I'm not saying it's wholly rational, but I think it would definitely be a powerful force in most people's minds when the moment actually came to make that decision.

Voted $1M, under the assumption I'm going to have access to immediate and free healthcare to deal with anything that pops up after doing the trial.

Voted $1M, under the assumption I'm going to have access to immediate and free healthcare to deal with anything that pops up after doing the trial.
I have no idea how these things are structured, but I can't imagine that not being part of the deal.

$100,000 is nice but would not change my life in a meaningful way, while Covid can. I feel that $1m can change my life in a meaningful way, so I went with that. 

I had a buddy that did something like this with a RCT for noravirus.  Except there wasn't any vaccine and instead the subjects got a varying amount of virus injected.  They then had ot spend a week in a hospital room, isolated, and collect their (liquid) poop in a bucket so it could be analyzed.

My friend did this for ~$1000.  he said as long as they have wifi and free food, he was game.  Finished off quite a bit of his PhD dissertation writing during that time.  He also said it was a "top 2" episode of illness he;d ever had.

Noravirus isn't life threatening in the same way COVID is.  So, I'd say $50-100k for me.

Users who are viewing this thread