What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ATVs, UTVs, and quads - oh my! (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Talk to me about these things. Getting a second home on a decent piece of land (decent by my measure anyway), and thinking we could use one or two of these vehicles to get around the property, take the kids for rides, etc. I don’t need anything super fast or fancy, and probably better to have something that seats two or four people, so we could take family on it  

I also don’t want to break the bank, wondering if used is a good option.  These feel like the kinds of things that people probably buy all the time and barely use and then sell. 

PS I have no idea what the difference is between ATV, UTV and quad. Are these all basically the same thing?  TIA

Talk to me about these things. Getting a second home on a decent piece of land (decent by my measure anyway), and thinking we could use one or two of these vehicles to get around the property, take the kids for rides, etc. I don’t need anything super fast or fancy, and probably better to have something that seats two or four people, so we could take family on it  

I also don’t want to break the bank, wondering if used is a good option.  These feel like the kinds of things that people probably buy all the time and barely use and then sell. 

PS I have no idea what the difference is between ATV, UTV and quad. Are these all basically the same thing?  TIA
Something that we will never own is an ATV. Trust me when I tell you that you want no part of your family dealing with the potential of an ATV accident.

My PSA for this thread: Hard pass.

Something that we will never own is an ATV. Trust me when I tell you that you want no part of your family dealing with the potential of an ATV accident.

My PSA for this thread: Hard pass.
Dangerous?  Maybe that’s not really what I’m looking for then. I don’t want fast or unsafe, I hate motorcycles so if it’s anything like that I’m out. I’m just envisioning like a golf cart designed for more off road. Does such a thing exist?

I think today's side by side UTV type vehicles are much safer than the quads and trikes of the past.  But they are expensive new.  If it were me I would consider a Mahindra Roxor (preferably used) or an old Jeep TJ or YJ that you can abuse.

Dangerous?  Maybe that’s not really what I’m looking for then. I don’t want fast or unsafe, I hate motorcycles so if it’s anything like that I’m out. I’m just envisioning like a golf cart designed for more off road. Does such a thing exist?
It's not about being fast. In general, they are large vehicles that can cause extensive injuries (and death, even if rare). Mostly because they don't have seatbelts, kids don't understand the dangers, and it only takes one rollover to have you regretting ever getting one in the first place.

Read here, for example

There are so many ways to have fun. This is one that you can do without. I'm not saying to never go riding in one. But owning one? I'd get a pitbull before that.

ATVs, trampolines, guns, and fireworks won't ever be in my house with my kids while I'm alive.

I think today's side by side UTV type vehicles are much safer than the quads and trikes of the past.  But they are expensive new.  If it were me I would consider a Mahindra Roxor (preferably used) or an old Jeep TJ or YJ that you can abuse.
This looks interesting. 

What state did you purchase the land, @Otis? We are planning on buying a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere at some point. Considering smaller plots with ocean/water access or 50-100 acres in a low humidity state. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What state did you purchase the land, @Otis? We are planning on buying a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere at some point. Considering smaller plots with ocean/water access or 50-100 acres in a low humidity state. 
We’re looking at “only” just over 40 acres, but for me that’s like an almost unimaginable amount of land.  We looked at one property that was 8 acres and I decided to walk and explore the entire parcel and it felt like it took me forever to get to the other end and back.  We suburbians and city slickers are pretty easily impressed in that respect.  

Plenty of UTV brands and used vehicles out there.  You could probably even find something close to where your land is.  For that size property I would want something with a little "utility" to it with a small bed for hauling things like firewood. 

Or you could go with a lifted 4 seat golf cart.  A few of my buddies have them and they are great for getting around the lake they live on and down to the river.  Not that great with 4 people if you have a bunch of hills and want to haul stuff though.  

ETA:  They made UTVs street legal in my small town a few years ago for a small permit fee.  Flag required.  A bunch of people use them to get around town.  Not golf carts though which I thought was odd.

I drive Toyotas for their dependability. Same with my Polaris. Bought a mid 2000’s Scrambler 500 4x4. It’s not designed to be a utility machine but I’ve plowed every blizzard with it. 15 years later, I’ve changed the spark plug, and couple batteries and patched a tire. Starts after a couple cranks every time. Farm owner where I hunt owns a Polaris Ranger. 

It's not about being fast. In general, they are large vehicles that can cause extensive injuries (and death, even if rare). Mostly because they don't have seatbelts, kids don't understand the dangers, and it only takes one rollover to have you regretting ever getting one in the first place.

Read here, for example

There are so many ways to have fun. This is one that you can do without. I'm not saying to never go riding in one. But owning one? I'd get a pitbull before that.

ATVs, trampolines, guns, and fireworks won't ever be in my house with my kids while I'm alive.
Sounds like Ots is looking more for a UTV, which is much different and safer than an ATV. A UTV can have seat belts and has a roll bar and often times a windshield. Yes, people can still do stupid things and get hurt but not as likely as with an ATV. 

We’re looking at “only” just over 40 acres, but for me that’s like an almost unimaginable amount of land.  We looked at one property that was 8 acres and I decided to walk and explore the entire parcel and it felt like it took me forever to get to the other end and back.  We suburbians and city slickers are pretty easily impressed in that respect.  
House already built or are you building? I am also unsure why that sweet old Jeep you posted about in the other thread wouldn't work for this purpose. 

Sounds like Ots is looking more for a UTV, which is much different and safer than an ATV. A UTV can have seat belts and has a roll bar and often times a windshield. Yes, people can still do stupid things and get hurt but not as likely as with an ATV. 
Yep, agreed.  Now I can see based on his responses.

I have acreage and a 2008 Yamaha Rhino.  I paid 5k for it and it is an exceptional work tool.  I would not want to manage my land without it.

Side by sides are considerably more safe than ATVs, but even more than that they are much more useful.  

I am with Ron, I have considered upgrading to a ROXOR or just an old CJ.  The problem that I have it that the turning radius that is required to work around my grapes is too tight for these options.  Honestly, if I did not have this problem I would have gone to a Roxor a while back.

I might just add that if you have snow removal needs, the side by side is as much fun as you can have with clothes on.

If I were buying an SxS today, the new version of the Polaris Ranger looks well priced and has a strong engine.  IT looks like to me you can get one of these new for between 12-14k and that is a lot of machine for the price.

You don`t need any land to have an ATV.

House already built or are you building? I am also unsure why that sweet old Jeep you posted about in the other thread wouldn't work for this purpose. 
Already built. Well do some add ons over time, but all set there. Always wanted a place up in the mountains, Mrs O and I got engaged up there and to up every fall. Pretty excited. But also a lot to learn. The have bears up there. Wtf?  Where do I leave my trash?  When will the bears get me?  Can I camp outside with my kids as sort of a glamping outing or will the bears eat us?

The scout is just too unreliable and Otis isn’t a good enough mechanic. We’ll be selling that and getting a new Bronco to replace it. But still want something smaller for putzing around the property and getting stuff from A to B etc. 

I have acreage and a 2008 Yamaha Rhino.  I paid 5k for it and it is an exceptional work tool.  I would not want to manage my land without it.

Side by sides are considerably more safe than ATVs, but even more than that they are much more useful.  

I am with Ron, I have considered upgrading to a ROXOR or just an old CJ.  The problem that I have it that the turning radius that is required to work around my grapes is too tight for these options.  Honestly, if I did not have this problem I would have gone to a Roxor a while back.

I might just add that if you have snow removal needs, the side by side is as much fun as you can have with clothes on.

If I were buying an SxS today, the new version of the Polaris Ranger looks well priced and has a strong engine.  IT looks like to me you can get one of these new for between 12-14k and that is a lot of machine for the price.
Awesome thanks. There is a long driveway up to the place that will require plowing in the winter, so that might be a useful option 

I've bought these things for years for my company (we have a fleet of $100 million worth of these). Don't buy used unless you know the guy and have seen him maintain it. For personal use, UTV's like the Mule are perfect for what you are looking for. Dealers run specials all the time so just look for a deal. Polaris makes a good unit as well. Deere makes a good unit but you pay for the name. Honda as well but we never bought many of those.

I'd stay away from off brand stuff as they come and go pretty quick. You can get them with seatbelts installed after market but most come with doors and netting that will keep you in the cab as long as the UTV has ROPS on it. That doesn't stop you from braking your arm when it rolls over and it's the first thing that hits the ground during a rollover but don't drive it like an idiot and it's not a problem. They have a high center of gravity to clear debris so it's easy to roll them if you do stupid stuff.

If you want to have fun, look at a Polaris Rzr to buzz around on. 2 seat, don't #### with a 4 seat. These are only for fun, they don't do work stuff. If you want a work UTV, stick with a Mule. They are all crazy expensive now but I'd buy new and maintain it. You'll get your monies worth.

I've bought these things for years for my company (we have a fleet of $100 million worth of these). Don't buy used unless you know the guy and have seen him maintain it. For personal use, UTV's like the Mule are perfect for what you are looking for. Dealers run specials all the time so just look for a deal. Polaris makes a good unit as well. Deere makes a good unit but you pay for the name. Honda as well but we never bought many of those.

I'd stay away from off brand stuff as they come and go pretty quick. You can get them with seatbelts installed after market but most come with doors and netting that will keep you in the cab as long as the UTV has ROPS on it. That doesn't stop you from braking your arm when it rolls over and it's the first thing that hits the ground during a rollover but don't drive it like an idiot and it's not a problem. They have a high center of gravity to clear debris so it's easy to roll them if you do stupid stuff.

If you want to have fun, look at a Polaris Rzr to buzz around on. 2 seat, don't #### with a 4 seat. These are only for fun, they don't do work stuff. If you want a work UTV, stick with a Mule. They are all crazy expensive now but I'd buy new and maintain it. You'll get your monies worth.
Great stuff thanks.  Sounds like Polaris is pretty good value for the money.  And I keep reading good things about the Mules.  Love the idea of a Deere as well, but sounds like it’s not worth the premium for the name.

Thanks. 

Do not be afraid of used. As mentioned in the toys thread I owned 2 ATV's, a 1994 Suzuki King Quad with 2000 hours and a 2003 Suzuki King Quad with 2400 hours. Both were dirt cheap to buy and both were extremely cheap to maintain. Most of these are incredibly simple and easy to work on.  I bet you could find a 4 seater for under 5,000 if you spent a while looking.

https://www.atvtrader.com/listing/2012-John-Deere-6-X-4-GATOR-5013113833

Do not be afraid of used. As mentioned in the toys thread I owned 2 ATV's, a 1994 Suzuki King Quad with 2000 hours and a 2003 Suzuki King Quad with 2400 hours. Both were dirt cheap to buy and both were extremely cheap to maintain. Most of these are incredibly simple and easy to work on.  I bet you could find a 4 seater for under 5,000 if you spent a while looking.

There should be more inventory coming to the used market in the next 6 months with repossessions coming back online following the COVID mitigation measures expiring. You’ll also see more used units next spring once the big buying season for new units really kicks in. 

I'm with @gianmarco on the safety issue on these things.  I'm good friends with a girl that has a few scars on her face from when she was a teenager from an ATV accident.  Her friend died in the same accident.    I used to ride them all the time and looking back on it, we did some really stupid ####.  

Have you considered just buying an old 4x4 Tacoma?   I bet you can get a good one for $10k or so.   Seat belts, AC...can probably go anywhere these other things can go.  

When I used to ride 20-25 years ago I had a nice new 1998 (I think) Artic Cat 400 and my friend had a little Suzuki King Quad and that thing ran circles around mine.   The Artic Cat was riddled with problems and the Suzuki never missed a beat.  

These larger mules that seat 3-6 people are probably perfect for me.

https://www.kawasaki.com/sidexside/mule/mule-3-to-6-passenger/mule-pro-fxt?cm_re=SUBBRAND-_-MODELLIST-_-MPP

Not cheap ... almost the price of a car... 
I have a 2018 Ranger.  I use it all the time for work or just riding.  If I could do it over again, I'd get the Honda or Kawasaki.   If you saw how most people treat these things at ATV parks or whatever, I don't think you would want a used one.  

I'm with @gianmarco on the safety issue on these things.  I'm good friends with a girl that has a few scars on her face from when she was a teenager from an ATV accident.  Her friend died in the same accident.    I used to ride them all the time and looking back on it, we did some really stupid ####.  

Have you considered just buying an old 4x4 Tacoma?   I bet you can get a good one for $10k or so.   Seat belts, AC...can probably go anywhere these other things can go.  
I suggested he buy a Nissan Frontier earlier. That’s what I did. I only use it for trips to HD and yard work. 

Fronteirs are imo, hands down the best bargain vehicle you can buy. More torque, towing capacity and more comfortable than Tacomas at a significantly lower price. It’s also been the same model since 2004. Most people see that as a downside but not me. That means all the kinks are out. On top of al that, when you open the engine bay it’s wide open and can be easily worked on - like all vehicles used to be. 

If you can’t tell, I ❤️ my frontier. 

When I used to ride 20-25 years ago I had a nice new 1998 (I think) Artic Cat 400 and my friend had a little Suzuki King Quad and that thing ran circles around mine.   The Artic Cat was riddled with problems and the Suzuki never missed a beat.  
Arctic Cat only went further south with time and then got bought by Textron (who owns E-Z Go Golf Carts) and solidified their position as #### UTV maker.

We entered into an agreement with a manufacturer that partnered with Arctic Cat to build us a beast for the rental world. It was going to be a tank but they won a big government contract so our little side project took a backseat. Then Textron bought Arctic Cat and the deal just screeched to a halt. They built us one prototype that I would love to get my hands on, that thing was bad ###.

Awesome thanks. There is a long driveway up to the place that will require plowing in the winter, so that might be a useful option 
How long are we talking about and how much snow do they get up there?  Might need to make friends with a neighbor or start a thread, "Tractor-nerds.  Whatcha got?"

Or hire out the snow plowing.  Should be about $5k.

Kawasaki Mule Pro

Basically a souped up golf cart. 

I considered buying something like This John Deer Gator  

I ended up just buying cheap pickup truck instead. 

These are great. Mule/Gator/Roxor are all solid for small places/use. 

I also love Ron's suggestion of an old TJ/YJ for ~$5-8k. Will comfortably hold 4 folks safely... can remove/tumble the back seats forward to carry stuff when it's just 1-2 people. Can get a cheap small dump trailer for bigger stuff / mulch / etc. Also has flexibility to be taken out on the roads to gas station or around town for fun as an extra vehicle. 

How long are we talking about and how much snow do they get up there?  Might need to make friends with a neighbor or start a thread, "Tractor-nerds.  Whatcha got?"

Or hire out the snow plowing.  Should be about $5k.
This will almost certainly happen.  

These are great. Mule/Gator/Roxor are all solid for small places/use. 

I also love Ron's suggestion of an old TJ/YJ for ~$5-8k. Will comfortably hold 4 folks safely... can remove/tumble the back seats forward to carry stuff when it's just 1-2 people. Can get a cheap small dump trailer for bigger stuff / mulch / etc. Also has flexibility to be taken out on the roads to gas station or around town for fun as an extra vehicle. 

My favorite part of the thread is icon seconding the recommendation of the jeep.  :lmao:

:jeepwave: GB

Just not sure a truck makes sense for the use. the property isn't THAT big, but more importantly, I have to imagine I'll be pretty limited in being able to take the truck off in to the wooded areas the way I could one of these Gator things.

The equipment is designed to be used offroad, and because people have the opinion that you need to have new then the resale takes a bigger hit than what it should.

I gave that 1994 Suzuki ATV  to my parents when I moved to Houston from Wyoming around 7 years ago and my parents sold it last year. It was still running strong.

The equipment is designed to be used offroad, and because people have the opinion that you need to have new then the resale takes a bigger hit than what it should.

I have that 1994 Suzuki ATV when I moved to Houston from Wyoming around 7 years ago and my parents sold it last year. It was still running strong.
And you maintained it I'm guessing. My only caveat with buying used is if you don't know who owned it or are familiar with the maintenance of the unit because these units are meant to go off road and be rode hard, you stand a better chance of getting a lemon used. The typical UTV owner spends a lot of money on his toy and will maintain it because they have to, they get beat to #### because they are made for people to beat the #### out of them. At some point you get tired of spending money or doing the work on these things and you sell them. May or may not have fixed what broke that made you decide to sell.

I might be wrong and Otis is an accomplished shade tree mechanic but the notebook doesn't agree. Hate to see you get something that you need to dump money into right off the bat.

Just not sure a truck makes sense for the use. the property isn't THAT big, but more importantly, I have to imagine I'll be pretty limited in being able to take the truck off in to the wooded areas the way I could one of these Gator things.
My dad had a couple of the 6x4 diesel gators.  They were great for the kids because they are not very fast, they're easy to drive and they can haul all kinds of stuff.  The tires give you a bunch of surface area so they don't sink very easily, but they don't provide much clearance.  If you get high centered in the middle of nowhere, you will find out how heavy those suckers are.  Not fun pushing them out of the mud.

My dad had a couple of the 6x4 diesel gators.  They were great for the kids because they are not very fast, they're easy to drive and they can haul all kinds of stuff.  The tires give you a bunch of surface area so they don't sink very easily, but they don't provide much clearance.  If you get high centered in the middle of nowhere, you will find out how heavy those suckers are.  Not fun pushing them out of the mud.
Slow as dirt but they’ll dig. Can’t say I don’t like it. But man those diesel tanks get gunked up. I take my multi tool and a rag every time I use it because it’ll die out in the field. About perfected the fuel line pull and clean off after being stranded enough times 

Users who are viewing this thread