Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

President Trump suggests delaying the election

I don’t have a link yet but it’s in his latest tweet. Mail in voting will lead to such a corrupt outcome that he thinks there might be no choice except to delay things. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Absentee voting is good (of course its because he and many in his administration use mail in absentee ballots to vote)...mail in voting bad.

Who wants to tell him its pretty much the same freaking thing with the same safeguards?  And that we have known about issues with voting and the virus since March and people said then we need to have plans and ensure a proper vote in November...like looking at states who do it and what they do good and can even improve upon.  Did our government do that?  Probably about as much as he has worked on "extreme vetting".  Let me guess...2 weeks?

Im sure he was just kidding or being sarcastic again, right?

Edited by sho nuff
  • Thanks 2

Why would delaying the election reduce the alleged corrupt outcome?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I am a relatively happy, employed, well fed suburbanite. As god as my witness if they try to pull this stuff I will burn this thing to the ground. 

It's been scary and getting scarier. The integrity of the election is my line in the sand. 

I'll consider myself a prisoner in an occupied country. 

• Like 10

And people laughed, mocked and accused me of being a drama queen when I said 3+ years ago that he wouldn’t accept an election defeat in 2020. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Osaurus said:

I assume he means delay it until COVID isn’t an issue and we can safely vote in person. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I assume he means delay it until COVID isn’t an issue and we can safely vote in person. 

One could make the argument that by removing him from office will assist in the same outcome. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 2

Just a complete display of lack of leadership again.  And we wonder why a divide?  Because there are people who will either defend this...or just pretend it didn't happen.

That includes supporters and members of congress who will pretend they didn't see what Trump said...they will be asked about it...and be like "oh, you need to ask the President, I didn't see or hear what he said."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Crazy. It's ridiculous on its face. But......IF we did it, it would give him an incentive to extend COVID for as long as possible.  

I've lost friends over this dude. He is tearing the country apart. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve suggested this in March. Delay the vote  until a  successful vaccine is in the market for a year or so. Makes too much sense

Edited by HellToupee
  • Laughing 10
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

And people laughed, mocked and accused me of being a drama queen when I said 3+ years ago that he wouldn’t accept an election defeat in 2020. 

I said something similar here too.  It was unfortunately kind of predictable that this is what would happen.

• Thanks 1

The response from pro-Trump websites is mostly this: 

He’s just trolling the libs with this, and they’re going ape####! So awesome. I love it when Trump drives the libs crazy. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

I’ve suggested this in March. Delay the vote  until a  successful vaccine is in the market for a year or so. Makes too much sense

It makes no sense.

How does it make sense...if all these businesses can be open...if we can push for schools to open...why can we not vote?  Why do we not have safeguards in place to ensure a proper election?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

To be fair he can't really say things don't look good for my re-election chances right now so let's delay the election until I have a better chance. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

That is the worst idea. Aside from ending our 230 years of peaceful election and transfer of power, it would actually incentivize Trump to delay the vaccine. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 10

"Everything is great! We've defeated this invisible enemy, other than a few minor flareups. It's safe to get the kids back to school and get the economy moving! Oh, by the way, it isn't safe to go vote so let's delay the election."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 2

3 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

But going back to school is ok, right? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I said something similar here too.  It was unfortunately kind of predictable that this is what would happen.

It was obvious he was setting up in 2016 not to accept the result. Now that he is in power, he has given 0 signs that he would accept defeat with any grace.

• Like 2

Should we start a tally?

School should be fully opened, but the election delayed?

Got any more?

1 minute ago, apalmer said:

"Everything is great! We've defeated this invisible enemy, other than a few minor flareups. It's safe to get the kids back to school and get the economy moving! Oh, by the way, it isn't safe to go vote so let's delay the election."

He is so transparent. Any argument he makes that this is just for the safety of the people is so obviously absurd. 

• Like 1

What are his supporters who have been going with if "we can go to Walmart we can vote" going to pivot to now?

• Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

To be fair he can't really say things don't look good for my re-election chances right now so let's delay the election until I have a better chance. 

It would be refreshing if he did.  

Just now, Osaurus said:

It would be refreshing if he did.  

It might not be the craziest thing he ever tweeted either. So there might be a slim chance. 

• Like 1

Isn't the election controlled by congress or something like that, and isn't the end of his term still 1/20 even without an election based on the constitution? Not sure he has much power to do anything about this, but maybe I am wrong. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, huthut said:

Isn't the election controlled by congress or something like that, and isn't the end of his term still 1/20 even without an election based on the constitution? Not sure he has much power to do anything about this, but maybe I am wrong. 

He’s total authority, but yes, you’re correct. 

Edited by Osaurus

Just now, huthut said:

Controlled by the States.

I think he's figureing out no matter if we vote by mail or in person he's going to lose. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

because trump and the republican senate would remain in control.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, song said:

because trump and the republican senate would remain in control.

Not according to the 20th Amendment.

WASHINGTON — On the second Friday in June, a group of political operatives, former government and military officials, and academics quietly convened online for what became a disturbing exercise in the fragility of American democracy.

The group, which included Democrats and Republicans, gathered to game out possible results of the November election, grappling with questions that seem less far-fetched by the day: What if President Trump refuses to concede a loss, as he publicly hinted recently he might do? How far could he go to preserve his power? And what if Democrats refuse to give in?

“All of our scenarios ended in both street-level violence and political impasse,” said Rosa Brooks, a Georgetown law professor and former Defense Department official who co-organized the group known as the Transition Integrity Project. She described what they found in bleak terms: “The law is essentially ... it’s almost helpless against a president who’s willing to ignore it.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/25/nation/bipartisan-group-secretly-gathered-game-out-contested-trump-biden-election-it-wasnt-pretty/

:oldunsure:

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

But going back to school is ok, right? 

:shrug:
I have no idea if it’s safe or not. Kids need to be in school , yes. Is it safe to send them back?? I can’t answer that. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

• Laughing 2

This will obviously not happen. This crazy stuff, his bizarre behavior, and terrible leadership is why he will lose the election. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'll consider myself a prisoner in an occupied country. 

one might properly say that with the corporate/money controlled two party system, you already are.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Controlled by the States.

20th Amendment says his term ends at noon on Jan. 20. If no election is held, his term still ends, as does Pence's. With no duly elected President, guess who takes the office? Hello, President Pelosi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, apalmer said:

20th Amendment says his term ends at noon on Jan. 20. If no election is held, his term still ends, as does Pence's. With no duly elected President, guess who takes the office? Hello, President Pelosi.

Sure, but just because the constitution says something doesn’t mean he will listen. 

• Like 4

Just saw the economic numbers released today. Now I see why he’s tweeting out his brand of crazy. 

Too bad a quarter of the country will be like “hmmm yeah sounds like a good idea”.

Can’t get rid of this guy fast enough.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Snorkelson said:

Sure, but just because the constitution says something doesn’t mean he will listen. 

Maybe that's why he's considering extending the federal stay of eviction proceedings.

• Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, song said:

one might properly say that with the corporate/money controlled two party system, you already are.

Eh. That's a very subtle bof sides there. But it still counts. 

Did both sides create the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau? Did both sides destroy it? Do both sides fight to raise the minimum wage? Do both sides fight for universal child care? Do both sides fight against predatory lenders? Do both sides want to remove environmental protection regulations from business? Do both sides fight union membership? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Rich Conway said:

Who had July 30 in the pool?

He's just trying to upstage the Biden VP selection coming soon.

• Thinking 1

While I am confident that he will dispute the results, I think this "delay the election" tweet was just a distraction.  Terrible economic numbers, terrible poll numbers, and an ongoing and mishandled pandemic, and news sites and twitter are full of reaction to this tweet.  It's a short term distraction, but that's as far ahead as he thinks.

Well played, but it won't stop whats coming.  We will vote on the 3rd, and he will lose.

Posted (edited)

Better safe that sorry. Just postpone the elections for safety 

Edited by HellToupee
  • Laughing 5

13 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

Not according to the 20th Amendment.

but if this were to somehow happen, do you think we would somehow revert to the rule of law?

laws have no power.  people, enforcing them, or not enforcing them do.

• Like 1