What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

President Trump suggests delaying the election (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I don’t have a link yet but it’s in his latest tweet. Mail in voting will lead to such a corrupt outcome that he thinks there might be no choice except to delay things. 

Absentee voting is good (of course its because he and many in his administration use mail in absentee ballots to vote)...mail in voting bad.

Who wants to tell him its pretty much the same freaking thing with the same safeguards?  And that we have known about issues with voting and the virus since March and people said then we need to have plans and ensure a proper vote in November...like looking at states who do it and what they do good and can even improve upon.  Did our government do that?  Probably about as much as he has worked on "extreme vetting".  Let me guess...2 weeks?

Im sure he was just kidding or being sarcastic again, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a relatively happy, employed, well fed suburbanite. As god as my witness if they try to pull this stuff I will burn this thing to the ground. 

It's been scary and getting scarier. The integrity of the election is my line in the sand. 

I'll consider myself a prisoner in an occupied country. 

Just a complete display of lack of leadership again.  And we wonder why a divide?  Because there are people who will either defend this...or just pretend it didn't happen.

That includes supporters and members of congress who will pretend they didn't see what Trump said...they will be asked about it...and be like "oh, you need to ask the President, I didn't see or hear what he said."

I assume he means delay it until COVID isn’t an issue and we can safely vote in person. 
Crazy. It's ridiculous on its face. But......IF we did it, it would give him an incentive to extend COVID for as long as possible.  

I've lost friends over this dude. He is tearing the country apart. 

The response from pro-Trump websites is mostly this: 

He’s just trolling the libs with this, and they’re going ape####! So awesome. I love it when Trump drives the libs crazy. 

I’ve suggested this in March. Delay the vote  until a  successful vaccine is in the market for a year or so. Makes too much sense
It makes no sense.

How does it make sense...if all these businesses can be open...if we can push for schools to open...why can we not vote?  Why do we not have safeguards in place to ensure a proper election?

"Everything is great! We've defeated this invisible enemy, other than a few minor flareups. It's safe to get the kids back to school and get the economy moving! Oh, by the way, it isn't safe to go vote so let's delay the election."
He is so transparent. Any argument he makes that this is just for the safety of the people is so obviously absurd. 

Isn't the election controlled by congress or something like that, and isn't the end of his term still 1/20 even without an election based on the constitution? Not sure he has much power to do anything about this, but maybe I am wrong. 

Isn't the election controlled by congress or something like that, and isn't the end of his term still 1/20 even without an election based on the constitution? Not sure he has much power to do anything about this, but maybe I am wrong. 
He’s total authority, but yes, you’re correct. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Controlled by the States.

WASHINGTON — On the second Friday in June, a group of political operatives, former government and military officials, and academics quietly convened online for what became a disturbing exercise in the fragility of American democracy.

The group, which included Democrats and Republicans, gathered to game out possible results of the November election, grappling with questions that seem less far-fetched by the day: What if President Trump refuses to concede a loss, as he publicly hinted recently he might do? How far could he go to preserve his power? And what if Democrats refuse to give in?

“All of our scenarios ended in both street-level violence and political impasse,” said Rosa Brooks, a Georgetown law professor and former Defense Department official who co-organized the group known as the Transition Integrity Project. She described what they found in bleak terms: “The law is essentially ... it’s almost helpless against a president who’s willing to ignore it.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/25/nation/bipartisan-group-secretly-gathered-game-out-contested-trump-biden-election-it-wasnt-pretty/

:oldunsure:

one might properly say that with the corporate/money controlled two party system, you already are.
Eh. That's a very subtle bof sides there. But it still counts. 

Did both sides create the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau? Did both sides destroy it? Do both sides fight to raise the minimum wage? Do both sides fight for universal child care? Do both sides fight against predatory lenders? Do both sides want to remove environmental protection regulations from business? Do both sides fight union membership? 

While I am confident that he will dispute the results, I think this "delay the election" tweet was just a distraction.  Terrible economic numbers, terrible poll numbers, and an ongoing and mishandled pandemic, and news sites and twitter are full of reaction to this tweet.  It's a short term distraction, but that's as far ahead as he thinks.

Well played, but it won't stop whats coming.  We will vote on the 3rd, and he will lose.

Users who are viewing this thread