What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Appalachian Trail 2021 (1 Viewer)

I did the Georgia segment last year.  Had tentative plans to pickup in NC this year but with Covid spring was shot.  We may still do some this Fall.

I didn’t get in on CYDY and I’ve got four kids still at home - no chance I can do a through hike for some years now.  But I’d be down for some segments.

I’ve done much of the New England section, albeit in spurts. With small kids at home no chance of me getting away for months but I could be talked into a few days once you make it up north 

My brother has a cabin not far from the southern trailhead, hiked the first 10-15 miles plenty of times.  Would love to have the ability to knock out a week or 2 of it each year until finished, probs never gonna happen though.

If you haven’t, give Bill Bryson’s A Walk In The Woods a read, totally worth it

My brother has a cabin not far from the southern trailhead, hiked the first 10-15 miles plenty of times.  Would love to have the ability to knock out a week or 2 of it each year until finished, probs never gonna happen though.

If you haven’t, give Bill Bryson’s A Walk In The Woods a read, totally worth it
Do you normally hike in to Springer and then back out?

Amicalola to the Trailhead is a wonderful (long) day hike.

Dot.

Let me know if you're going through the northern VA area, happy to set up food/drink stops for anyone.  Can run you to/from grocery stores or similar as well.

Georgia - 76.4 miles (123.0 km) of the trail
North Carolina - 95.5 miles (153.7 km) of the trail
Tennessee - 287.9 miles (463.3 km) of the trail
Virginia - 550.3 miles (885.6 km) of the trail
West Virginia - 4 miles (6 km) of the trail
Maryland - 40.9 miles (65.8 km) of the trail
Pennsylvania - 229.6 miles (369.5 km) of the trail
New Jersey - 72.2 miles (116.2 km) of the trail
New York's - 88.4 miles (142.3 km) of the trail
Connecticut - 51.6 miles (83.0 km) of the trail
Massachusetts - 90.2 miles (145.2 km) of the trail
Vermont - 150 miles (240 km) of the trail
New Hampshire - 160.9 miles (258.9 km) of the trail
Maine - 281.4 miles (452.9 km) of the trail

Better get going, only ~12 hours to go!
It's something I could be interested in.  I plan to be semi-retired next year, anyhow, so I could have the time on my hands.  The $20k stipend would be helpful.  But my biggest qualification is that I'm an Eagle Scout.  I don't have an instagram account or a blog they can look at, either, to assess my posting skills.  And with only 12 hours left to submit a video entry, that pretty much puts the application out of reach for me.  

johnnycakes said:
It's something I could be interested in.  I plan to be semi-retired next year, anyhow, so I could have the time on my hands.  The $20k stipend would be helpful.  But my biggest qualification is that I'm an Eagle Scout.  I don't have an instagram account or a blog they can look at, either, to assess my posting skills.  And with only 12 hours left to submit a video entry, that pretty much puts the application out of reach for me.  
Just use your FFA resume  :shrug: . Being a FBG should count for something. 

Besides,  I would think Eagle Scout survival skills rate higher than the number of one's YouTube followers. 

Can we get a groups together to do this?

Life long dream, will be in old man group.
If Covid settles down, I'd have mild interest in this.  I'm in Chicago and have never had the opportunity to be on the Trail.  I'd definitely be in the old man group (hitting 65 in two months, but still a very active/competitive runner).

If Covid settles down, I'd have mild interest in this.  I'm in Chicago and have never had the opportunity to be on the Trail.  I'd definitely be in the old man group (hitting 65 in two months, but still a very active/competitive runner).
You'd have no issues - you're in great shape.  

Oh, ad :blackdot: .  I'd love to do this, but the job is an all or nothing deal.  

You'd have no issues - you're in great shape.  

Oh, ad :blackdot: .  I'd love to do this, but the job is an all or nothing deal.  
Yep, wouldn’t be too worried about tri-man - if you are in great shape like him the only  issue is lugging the 30-50 pounds around.  

I would LOVE to do this one day. It runs just a few miles from me in Knoxville, TN. 
That's another bonus to walking this.  For a day or two I could continuously flip off UT/Knoxville.  A smile plastered on my face the whole time.

Personally I'd look forward to mid-state NY.  My grandparents' old house is a mile off the trail.  Had no idea until I looked it up.

2,175k miles with 515k ft of elevation gain/loss carrying 40lbs of gear through all kinds of miserable conditions.  Yeah, I don't think so.  I don't hate myself that much.   Bryson's book made me quickly realize this is not for me.   

2,175k miles with 515k ft of elevation gain/loss carrying 40lbs of gear through all kinds of miserable conditions.  Yeah, I don't think so.  I don't hate myself that much.   Bryson's book made me quickly realize this is not for me.   
Back in my youthful, more ambitious days, I spent quite a bit of time up in the Smoky Mountains.  My buddies and I crossed the entirety of the Tennessee section of the trail.  It wasn't too bad...only a few feet across from one side to the other and back.  Afterwards we got drunk on moonshine.  It was an experience I will never forget.  I encourage you to give it a try.  

Back in my youthful, more ambitious days, I spent quite a bit of time up in the Smoky Mountains.  My buddies and I crossed the entirety of the Tennessee section of the trail.  It wasn't too bad...only a few feet across from one side to the other and back.  Afterwards we got drunk on moonshine.  It was an experience I will never forget.  I encourage you to give it a try.  
Im not much of a drinker.   I'll have a few here or there to be social, but moonshine is a pass for me.   

I've done a very short section, but would love to hike the whole thing.  Just need to take a 5-7 month leave of absence from work.  :oldunsure:  

Avid hiker here.  No interest in spending 5-7 months on the trail.

Just finished a 44 mile section this weekend.  Friday started with a  2500 ft climb.  Temps were in the 80s at elevation.  Was sweating faster than I could hydrate.  Sawyer bag seam gave way on the first day.  Only water over the first day was a .25 mile downhill detour off trail.  Well I should say the only water until like 13 when the scattered thunderstorms hit.  Bunkered down when the deluge started.  Throw up a quick tarp and was able to fill a water bottle in about 10 seconds.  Waited 30 mins for the rain to stop and it didn't.  Wind had kicked up and now we were getting cold.  Knowing we could make our original destination, we backtracked to the last flat camping area we saw and set up in the dark and rain.  Scattered storms finally ended about 2am.  Actually most of the gear stayed dry so it wasn't that bad.  Still wet shoes to start the next day.  The hiking in wet sweaty gear led to chaffing so bad I was bleeding.  Luckily being a veteran, I had lube to get me the rest of the way.  Camp site was by a forest service road.  Drunk rednecks flying up and down the gravel road all night even in the rain.  When the rain stopped at 2 am and we finally fell asleep, at 2:30 am some guy is walking around camp shining a flashlight everywhere.  He then decides to take 10 mins turning around his truck and trailer doing a 200 point turn.  After that he decides to work on his motorcycle in the trailer.  I finally had had enough and was willing to risk getting shot and started getting dressed to comfort him.  He then takes off.

Yeah we had a great couple of days after that (also saw two separate bear cubs), but don't underestimate the challenges and misery you will have to endure to hike the entire trail.  There will be many days where the scenery is nothing but trees even on the mountain tops.  The Appalachian Mts are also notorious for days straight of rain.  I've met a lot of thru hikers and most of them have a loose screw or two or some personal hardship propelling them to do the hike.  I also doubt a group of strangers from the internet could pull this off.  We met a group of three this weekend doing a 8 day section hike.  They had met on the trail in the trail in the past.  By day two there was dissension in the day's schedule and by day three they were solo.  Everyone will have good and bad days, getting those to mesh with a group is impossible.

I may work up to a week on the trail and after I retire might consider a month tops.

I get to Huntsville a lot and there’s a bartender at the Rocket City Tavern there who took a few months off to go do this. With Covid hitting, I haven’t been able to get there and see how it went. He was a good dude and was really excited about it.

I’ll report back if I ever see the dude again.

OK. Carry on.

Avid hiker here.  No interest in spending 5-7 months on the trail.

Just finished a 44 mile section this weekend.  Friday started with a  2500 ft climb.  Temps were in the 80s at elevation.  Was sweating faster than I could hydrate.  Sawyer bag seam gave way on the first day.  Only water over the first day was a .25 mile downhill detour off trail.  Well I should say the only water until like 13 when the scattered thunderstorms hit.  Bunkered down when the deluge started.  Throw up a quick tarp and was able to fill a water bottle in about 10 seconds.  Waited 30 mins for the rain to stop and it didn't.  Wind had kicked up and now we were getting cold.  Knowing we could make our original destination, we backtracked to the last flat camping area we saw and set up in the dark and rain.  Scattered storms finally ended about 2am.  Actually most of the gear stayed dry so it wasn't that bad.  Still wet shoes to start the next day.  The hiking in wet sweaty gear led to chaffing so bad I was bleeding.  Luckily being a veteran, I had lube to get me the rest of the way.  Camp site was by a forest service road.  Drunk rednecks flying up and down the gravel road all night even in the rain.  When the rain stopped at 2 am and we finally fell asleep, at 2:30 am some guy is walking around camp shining a flashlight everywhere.  He then decides to take 10 mins turning around his truck and trailer doing a 200 point turn.  After that he decides to work on his motorcycle in the trailer.  I finally had had enough and was willing to risk getting shot and started getting dressed to comfort him.  He then takes off.

Yeah we had a great couple of days after that (also saw two separate bear cubs), but don't underestimate the challenges and misery you will have to endure to hike the entire trail.  There will be many days where the scenery is nothing but trees even on the mountain tops.  The Appalachian Mts are also notorious for days straight of rain.  I've met a lot of thru hikers and most of them have a loose screw or two or some personal hardship propelling them to do the hike.  I also doubt a group of strangers from the internet could pull this off.  We met a group of three this weekend doing a 8 day section hike.  They had met on the trail in the trail in the past.  By day two there was dissension in the day's schedule and by day three they were solo.  Everyone will have good and bad days, getting those to mesh with a group is impossible.

I may work up to a week on the trail and after I retire might consider a month tops.
Yep - the idea of a through hike sounds great but I’m not sure after doing segments that I’ll ever do it.  I’d never do it solo and finding the time plus someone who is willing and able to do it with you is a challenge.  Plus not killing them.

Users who are viewing this thread