What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are printers disposable now? (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
I do very little printing but my father uses his as a copier/scanner a lot.  He's talking about getting a new one because he said the cartridges are more expensive than a new printer would be and that he can't get a black only refill.  Is this just a model thing or is this the new world we live in?  Can printers be recycled or repurposed?  Is there an aftermarket for them?

If he can't get a separate black ink cartridge, it's likely because he bought a crappy cheap printer. You get what you pay for I guess. Mine is definitely separate cartridges and I have to buy quite a few before I would hit the cost of the printer.

If he can't get a separate black ink cartridge, it's likely because he bought a crappy cheap printer. You get what you pay for I guess. Mine is definitely separate cartridges and I have to buy quite a few before I would hit the cost of the printer.
I’ve gone through about 8-10 printers in the last 20 years. I loved my last one, can’t remember the brand but it was expensive for a home printer, around 250 bucks. It’s appeal was that black ink cartridges were only 5.99 (compared to about 30-40 bucks for other brands).  I made the mistake of using a store brand black ink that was supposedly compatible (printer brand ink was sold out) and it ruined the printer.

I go through 5-6 black ink cartridges and 2-3 color ink (all colors) cartridges for work during a typical school year.  Ink cartridges for my current printer run about 30 for black and about 65 ish for a set of the three colors. 1-2 ink replacements and I’m already over the cost of my current printer. I’m guessing in a year I spend at least 3 times the cost of an average home printer In just ink. I guess my use is likely atypical though.

I’ve gone through about 8-10 printers in the last 20 years. I loved my last one, can’t remember the brand but it was expensive for a home printer, around 250 bucks. It’s appeal was that black ink cartridges were only 5.99 (compared to about 30-40 bucks for other brands).  I made the mistake of using a store brand black ink that was supposedly compatible (printer brand ink was sold out) and it ruined the printer.

I go through 5-6 black ink cartridges and 2-3 color ink (all colors) cartridges for work during a typical school year.  Ink cartridges for my current printer run about 30 for black and about 65 ish for a set of the three colors. 1-2 ink replacements and I’m already over the cost of my current printer. I’m guessing in a year I spend at least 3 times the cost of an average home printer In just ink. I guess my use is likely atypical though.
NEVER use cheap ink.  It has to be the perfectly correct formula to work with the printer.  You will ruin your printer by using cheap ink.

HP came up with the patent for laser jet printing where they would eat the cost of the printer just to corner the market on ink cartridges.  Its been a successful model.   They even gave away the patent to other companies just so they could get the ink market.

Hard copy market is getting smaller, people can get away with not having a printer.

If you don't use your printer much you can get hard copies from the cloud from EFI's PrintMe service. You upload the document to the cloud and print it out at one of thousands of locations worldwide, such as a Staples, Office Depot, hotel, or university, making it a far more cost-effective printing solution. 

My current printer is an HP Envy---this is my second one.  I probably paid $300+ for it. HP printer cartridges are expensive--especially when you need two cartridges. When our kids were younger, i can't tell you how many late night runs to Walmart I had to make because we ran out of ink at the wrong moment and someone had a paper due.

When the HP Instant Ink program came out, we jumped on it. You pay a flat rate as low as $4..99 a month and you get "x" amount of sheets allowed each month. If you go over., they charge a $1 for every 15 sheets you go over.  The cool thing is these are smart cartridges, so when they run low, HP send new ones for free. We do a lot of printing and it has saved us a ton of money and the fact you never have to go to the store has been really nice during this virus. 

I bought one of these laser printers a couple years ago.  I'm sure they have newer/fancier models now.  I have been very happy with it.  This model does not print color, but I didn't really have much need for color.  We have access to a color copier at work if I really need one for something.  The toner cartridge isn't much more than what some of you are describing for the ink cartridges, but you get thousands of copies out of it.   I see cheap knock off brands that are compatible for even cheaper, but I haven't had the need to buy another yet.  I have changed the cartridge once since I have owned it.  But, to be honest, I probably use the scanner more these days than the print feature.

NEVER use cheap ink.  It has to be the perfectly correct formula to work with the printer.  You will ruin your printer by using cheap ink.
I'll disagree here.  It is definitely true in some instances but with a little research you can find a printer/ink combo that works for the long run.  Precision Colors ink is a great example but they are focused more on photo printing.

And if the OEM ink is more expensive than the printer anyway as is the case for the OP, you've got nothing to lose anyway since even if it kills your printer buying a new one isn't any more expensive than just buying the OEM ink in the first place.

My current printer is an HP Envy---this is my second one.  I probably paid $300+ for it. HP printer cartridges are expensive--especially when you need two cartridges. When our kids were younger, i can't tell you how many late night runs to Walmart I had to make because we ran out of ink at the wrong moment and someone had a paper due.

When the HP Instant Ink program came out, we jumped on it. You pay a flat rate as low as $4..99 a month and you get "x" amount of sheets allowed each month. If you go over., they charge a $1 for every 15 sheets you go over.  The cool thing is these are smart cartridges, so when they run low, HP send new ones for free. We do a lot of printing and it has saved us a ton of money and the fact you never have to go to the store has been really nice during this virus. 
Same. HP Instant Ink has seemed like a good deal for us. Not sure why there is such a huge price difference between the amount we pay with Instant Ink and the amount used to pay by just buying cartridges when we needed them. 

I do very little printing but my father uses his as a copier/scanner a lot.  He's talking about getting a new one because he said the cartridges are more expensive than a new printer would be and that he can't get a black only refill.
Does he mean that he can't replace color cartridges with black cartridges? Because that would be a bad idea.

Or does he mean that he can't leave the color cartridges empty while he only replaces the black cartridge? If that's the case, then he should get generic color refills and then set the printer to only print black-and-white.

Haven't they been disposable for years. I know it's been at least 10 years since I went to a buddy's house and he had a room full of printers he bought just to get the ink.

I can't remember the last time I needed to print something and I'm on the computer a lot.  I guess I should be thankful.  

I work for Hewlett Packard in the late 90's early 2000's.  Their model (and I think all of our competitors at the time) was to get the actual printer as cheap as possible and then squeeze hard when it was time for you to buy ink.  The thought process was that people look at printers in a more valuable way then paying for simple ink.  People are really hesitant to just throw out a printer even when they realize ink for said printer is probably close to $80 to replace.  Totally a mental aspect in their sales strategy. 

My last printer I bought sometime last year was like $45 dollars.  LIke someone said upthread its very rare where I actually need to print something out.

Having said that, this is going to be put to the test in 2 weeks when 3 of my kids start virtual school. 

Same. HP Instant Ink has seemed like a good deal for us. Not sure why there is such a huge price difference between the amount we pay with Instant Ink and the amount used to pay by just buying cartridges when we needed them. 
I do the same. A guarantee of $60ish on ink per year is much better than what I was spending before.  And if they send you a cartridge that doesn't work with your printer for some stupid cartridge error, they just replace it.

I tried using the Costco ink refill once. Cartridge leaked and broke my printer.

Never do refills imo.

Off brand is probably ok but I'll never do the refill again

Been a long time since I looked into this but I'm pretty sure they do not give you a full normal capacity cartridge with a new printer, IIRC they are 1/2 capacity.  

I do very little printing but my father uses his as a copier/scanner a lot.  He's talking about getting a new one because he said the cartridges are more expensive than a new printer would be and that he can't get a black only refill.  Is this just a model thing or is this the new world we live in?  Can printers be recycled or repurposed?  Is there an aftermarket for them?
My understanding is that the ink cartridges in new printers aren’t full, so even if it costs more for the ink cartridge than a new printer, it’s going to last a lot longer.

Either way, the cost of ink refills is asinine. 

Does he mean that he can't replace color cartridges with black cartridges? Because that would be a bad idea.

Or does he mean that he can't leave the color cartridges empty while he only replaces the black cartridge? If that's the case, then he should get generic color refills and then set the printer to only print black-and-white.
It can't print at all if the colors are empty.  He's looking to do copies more than print, and it can't be used in black-and-white only for copying.  Total scam.  I did some research though and as expected his "research" was way off so I got him full replacements for $35.

I was in the ink cartridge refill business for 5 years. Ink refills work just fine and will not damage your printer, neither will compatible cartridges. I still to this day only use compatibles because I still can get them so cheap.

The printer companies use the scare tactic of telling you they will damage your printer, it's so not true.

I bought one of these laser printers a couple years ago.  I'm sure they have newer/fancier models now.  I have been very happy with it.  This model does not print color, but I didn't really have much need for color.  We have access to a color copier at work if I really need one for something.  The toner cartridge isn't much more than what some of you are describing for the ink cartridges, but you get thousands of copies out of it.   I see cheap knock off brands that are compatible for even cheaper, but I haven't had the need to buy another yet.  I have changed the cartridge once since I have owned it.  But, to be honest, I probably use the scanner more these days than the print feature.
I got one of these a month or two ago (expensed through work :moneybag:  ) So far it's been great. All our laptops and phones print immediately with dual side if needed. No one really "needs" color. Scanning PDFs directly to our desktop. Reviews were awesome. I print a few dozen or so documents for work each week and the kids can get worksheets and lesson plans for school and send them back. But the HP, Epson, and Canon Inkjets we had the past few years were crap and either broke or had significant, un-repairable issues. This printer seems to be a tank so we'll see in a few years

I was in the ink cartridge refill business for 5 years. Ink refills work just fine and will not damage your printer, neither will compatible cartridges. I still to this day only use compatibles because I still can get them so cheap.

The printer companies use the scare tactic of telling you they will damage your printer, it's so not true.
My company bought a few refills from Pack a while ago. The price was right and I still have the printer in my office. The quality was fine but the yield was quite a bit lower than a manufacturer direct cartridge. Not trying to #### on Pack here at all, we still saved money in the long run so thanks GB. Just saying that certain refills can work but you get what you pay for and YMMV. Do your research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also went to a small inexpensive laser printer because I didn't use an inkjet enough to keep the cartridges from drying out.  I tried to remember to print a test page once in a while to keep the ink flowing, but that only lasted so long.  I actually use the laser a lot more for work now and it has taken compatible toner just fine.

The ink subscription sounds like a good idea if you need color and use it enough.

Could there by any better sign for how stupid our world and economy is that it's cheaper to buy a new printer than it is to buy ink to refill it. Just needlessly creating more and more waste. 

Courtjester said:

So you feel the program is good? I had to buy a new printer when the kids had to stay home in March. My Canon died at the worst time. Ended up buying an HP and spent a fortune on ink over a 5 or 6 week period. But I didn't think the program would really help me. You're saying it will.

strykerpks said:
My company bought a few refills from Pack a while ago. The price was right and I still have the printer in my office. The quality was fine but the yield was quite a bit lower than a manufacturer direct cartridge. Not trying to #### on Pack here at all, we still saved money in the long run so thanks GB. Just saying that certain refills can work but you get what you pay for and YMMV. Do your research.
Spot on. There are a few different factors and you're correct YMMV

Galileo said:
A laserjet will yield probably 10x or more what an inkjet will. And yea, most are tanks and last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread