What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solution Ideas for Very Random Problem (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
My mom has an RV titled in her name in Ohio and we're trying to sell it.

Complications:

• It was retitled out of Michigan into Ohio just before her husband died, but the tags were never switched.
  • We can't find the keys.  Any keys.
  • There is the right type of RV sitting on a lot in Michigan where we were told it would be, but it's not in the assigned space. 
  • The owner of the space the RV is in says he just took an empty one because the RV was there.
  • The VIN # does not appear to be visible from the outside, and we can't get inside.
  • Due to COVID we have been unable to talk with anyone at the Michigan DMV about the Michigan tags.  Calls and e-mails have gone unanswered.
  • Mom's got dementia and is no use at all in terms of being able to provide good info.
So right now we're responsible for selling an RV, but have no keys, no VIN#, out-of-state tags, no way to even prove to the lot owner or a locksmith that it's ours, and no way to contact the DMV in Michigan. 

Open to ideas!  Open to schtick.  Open to powerful hallucinogens.  Or whatever else you got.

Matching the VIN# on the title to the vehicle is basically the only way forward, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you show up with a locksmith, show the title to the RV lot manager, and then get into the vehicle?

These are the parts of life that seem to suck so bad when you are going through them, but build character and make for great stories when they have passed.

Can't you show up with a locksmith, show the title to the RV lot manager, and then get into the vehicle?
RV is titled in Ohio.  Plates are Michigan, VIN# isn't visible on outside, we don't have keys and it's in the wrong space.  Would you let me in? 😀

I would think a notary would be able to answer these questions

Of course it’s also possible that I’m full of #### 
After some more digging, I think this is basically where we're headed.  Some sort of notarized statement of good faith and reasons to believe we've got the right vehicle and then maybe get local cops to supervise us as we enter to find the VIN#.

RV is titled in Ohio.  Plates are Michigan, VIN# isn't visible on outside, we don't have keys and it's in the wrong space.  Would you let me in? 😀
Yes. Title should show matching make and model. VIN will match as soon as you get inside, just as if you used a key.

If you had any old paperwork it would be helpful. Even a credit card statement showing payment to the storage place would help.

My mom has an RV titled in her name in Ohio and we're trying to sell it.

Complications:

• It was retitled out of Michigan into Ohio just before her husband died, but the tags were never switched.
  • We can't find the keys.  Any keys.
  • There is the right type of RV sitting on a lot in Michigan where we were told it would be, but it's not in the assigned space. 
  • The owner of the space the RV is in says he just took an empty one because the RV was there.
  • The VIN # does not appear to be visible from the outside, and we can't get inside.
  • Due to COVID we have been unable to talk with anyone at the Michigan DMV about the Michigan tags.  Calls and e-mails have gone unanswered.
  • Mom's got dementia and is no use at all in terms of being able to provide good info.
So right now we're responsible for selling an RV, but have no keys, no VIN#, out-of-state tags, no way to even prove to the lot owner or a locksmith that it's ours, and no way to contact the DMV in Michigan. 

Open to ideas!  Open to schtick.  Open to powerful hallucinogens.  Or whatever else you got.

Matching the VIN# on the title to the vehicle is basically the only way forward, right?
Do you know where the VIN is supposed to be on that model? I’d think it would have to be on the outside.

I’m confused as to who owns the property the RV is sitting on. Does a landlord collect rent for use of the space? 

Do you know where the VIN is supposed to be on that model? I’d think it would have to be on the outside.
This is where I'm at.  VIN definitely should be visible from the outside.  I'm surprised it isn't in the lower right corner of the windshield like most vehicles.

Another point... I'm not sure why the Michigan DMV matters anymore.  If it's already titled in Ohio, that title will be what you'll need to transfer ownership.  I don't understand why plates weren't handled at the same time as the title but we're passed that now.  

Selling a deceased person's vehicle can be tricky.  It might make sense to get title transferred to the widow's name first -- particularly if that isn't expensive to do.  There should be instructions on how to do that on the Ohio DMV's website.

Foosball God said:
This is where I'm at.  VIN definitely should be visible from the outside.  I'm surprised it isn't in the lower right corner of the windshield like most vehicles.
Just break in and you will be VINdicated.

So, a very unexpected ending.

The Airstream is the last item left to resolve from the estate, but we seem to be stymied.  County cops refer me back to the Secretary of State's office.  Under no circumstances will they help with the plates.

So, no keys.  No VIN.  In the wrong spot.  With tags from the wrong state.  And weeks have gone by without reply to the e-mail messages we sent to the SOS's office. 2020, man.

We move forward with an estate sale and manage to get sell everything else, but we have to put the RV aside.  A very valuable, 34' foot, loose end and we're not sure what else to try.

Two days later I come in and there's a piece of forwarded mail from the estate of the deceased, from [Name of Business] Trailer Company.  I am intrigued.

I open it and it's a hand-written note:  "[Name], I sold the Airstream.  Tried to call a long time but line always busy.  Call me at [#], [Name]"

The kicker is that the return address is from a different state than the lot with the RV in question.  W.T.H.?

So I call this AM and get [Name] on the phone.  Turns out that the deceased, in what must have been one of his last acts, moved the trailer from one state to another and signed the title over so it could be sold on commission on a different lot.  Which it did, two months ago.  So this guy has been sitting on $20k for the last 60 days, with no way to disburse it to the rightful owner.  Thankfully the mail is still being forwarded or who knows when we'd have gotten this sorted out.

And the RV on the lot in the other state was the right make and model, but not the right RV after all.  The deceased had moved it without telling anyone -- including the manager of the storage lot where it had been previously.  No one had any idea where it was once he died.

Opening that letter and seeing the note was crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread