What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is John Oliver Funny? (1 Viewer)

Is John Oliver Funny?

• Yes

Votes: 133 79.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Who?

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
I guess most people don’t care but every time he drops an F bomb (often) I think about it makes him seem like a dB. Guess I’m old now.

I didn’t stop swearing because of any moral or religious conviction. I just came to a point where I realized it was juvenile. At best it makes you sound a) immature, or b) lacking intelligence. Just overall it seems like cuss words only have negative connotations.

To be fair though, once in a blue moon I drop an F-bomb for emphasis if it’s something I’m passionate about. So guess I’m a hypocrite. But IMO when you’re trying to present something with credibility / from a position of authority - as Oliver is doing every week - it adds nothing to the point he might be trying to make.

Funny? No, he’s never been laugh out loud funny, going back to his TDS correspondence days. He’s adroit and able to explain nuanced issues. He is sometimes clever. He might make you smile. But most of his punch lines are dripping with sarcasm. Forget who said it but that is pretty much the laziest comedic form.

I like Oliver, a lot, bc he brings attention to issues that are not always obvious. He does a good job at long form news, kind of like if NPR hired a bunch of frat boys. He generally does a good job at deconstructions. 

But not really funny haha - do I amuse you? Not a clown. More like, hehe, good point dlude.

I guess most people don’t care but every time he drops an F bomb (often) I think about it makes him seem like a dB. Guess I’m old now.

I didn’t stop swearing because of any moral or religious conviction. I just came to a point where I realized it was juvenile. At best it makes you sound a) immature, or b) lacking intelligence. Just overall it seems like cuss words only have negative connotations.

To be fair though, once in a blue moon I drop an F-bomb for emphasis if it’s something I’m passionate about. So guess I’m a hypocrite. But IMO when you’re trying to present something with credibility / from a position of authority - as Oliver is doing every week - it adds nothing to the point he might be trying to make.

Funny? No, he’s never been laugh out loud funny, going back to his TDS correspondence days. He’s adroit and able to explain nuanced issues. He is sometimes clever. He might make you smile. But most of his punch lines are dripping with sarcasm. Forget who said it but that is pretty much the laziest comedic form.

I like Oliver, a lot, bc he brings attention to issues that are not always obvious. He does a good job at long form news, kind of like if NPR hired a bunch of frat boys. He generally does a good job at deconstructions. 

But not really funny haha - do I amuse you? Not a clown. More like, hehe, good point dlude.
That’s ####### bull####. What the #### man?

I completely agree with swearing remarks.  Someone who is supposed to be a professional and wants to be taken seriously comes off sounding like an 8th grader trying to be cool.  Not just him, many people.

Voted yes.  I think he’s more amusing than laugh out loud funny.
Agree with this but I do find myself laughing out loud on occasion.

Also, the cursing doesn’t bother me but I can see how others wouldn’t care for it.  Nowadays almost anybody that does comedy or cable TV curses though.  

Cmon man, how you gonna take issue with a man that hosts a show on HBO and uses that lack of a language filter to his advantage. In fact, if he was on HBO and DIDN’T swear, we’d all consider him weird.

Agreed with this part. 

Don't care much about the swearing but I like watching his show with my 15yo and would prefer if he cut it so I would watch with all the kids. 

Simple question - not providing any evidence either way.  What say you?
From personal experience I met the guy yrs ago in NYC at The Daily Show. My Uncle took my Brothers and I to the show for free as his coworker at one of the local Tech Universities there was one of Stewart's writers. We got to sit in the green room before the show. Oliver comes walking and just starts pranking and cranking jokes on everyone and nothing was off limits. Went after Stewart pretty good. It's still some of the funniest stuff today. We were on camera side left in the side seats where you can sometimes see audience members and my brother got on the Show sitting. Great experience too. We got a tour of the studio and John is such a dog fan he allows his employees to bring their dogs to work and run around the office. I'm such a nerd that I think I had just as much fun playing with the dogs as I did at the show meeting everyone and touring the studio. 

Any fans of the Adam Driver Homoeroticism?
Not. At. All. He will often beat a dead horse with a bit that isn't really all that funny or clever. He's still one of my favorites but I tend to judge comedy based on the highs and forgive the lows.

I actually like Oliver more than I did Stewart and way more than I do Seth Meyers. Seth Meyers just calls people names which seems much more juvenile than swearing, imo. He's the worst by far in my book.

Back to Oliver, I do think he can be very funny and his interviews were my favorite parts of the Daily Show back in the day. 2020 has been a more serious year than most, and it's an election year on top of that. This has been the least funny year of John Oliver that I have ever remembered but 2020 has been the least funny year that I can remember. 

Polemicist as funny? No. And I disagreed with Stewart politically most of the time but he struck me as funny.

John Oliver doesn't.

I think he's been less funny lately (partially because of the format of the show during COVID) but I generally find him pretty funny.

I think there are a lot of left-leaning comedians (and other media people who aren't really comedians) who are going to have literally nothing else to talk about once Trump is out of office (whether that's in January or 4 years from now). They're all doing the same 5 jokes over and over again and its brutal. Noah is the worst. Dude is a complete non-talent.

Oliver will be better (IMO) once the expectation of "make fun of Trump" is off him. His other bits are way better and his stuff is more clever when he's not going after such low hanging fruit. The whole feud with the CEO of the coal company was outstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I knew most would be indifferent about the F-bombs. What turned me on that issue (for myself only, idc if people swear) was an offhand remark I heard a speaker make. He was just filling time in between slides & offered a challenge that swearing is almost always used while making a negative point. There are exceptions; #### is extremely versatile. Water skiing is fan-#######-tastic. But it made me think about it.

Plus, as someone mentioned upthread, I wish I could watch this with my 11 y.o. bc she’s become far more aware of current events during the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I knew most would be indifferent about the F-bombs. What turned me on that issue (for myself only, idc if people swear) was an offhand remark I heard a speaker make. He was just filling time in between slides & offered a challenge that swearing is almost always used while making a negative point. There are exceptions; #### is extremely versatile. Water skiing is fan-#######-tastic. But it made me think about it.

Plus, as someone mentioned upthread, I wish I could watch this with my 11 y.o. bc she’s become far more aware of current events during the pandemic.
I wouldn’t say I’m indifferent.  sometimes it’s needed when the point is that obvious but is being overlooked.

His quarantine bits aren't as funny because he can lean on a 45second video and come back and say nothing more than "holy ####" and move on.   

In a studio you need to be more clever.   

He's also limited to hosting what amounts to a vlog every week like he's PewDiePie

Is this guy who is a well known and popular professional NBA player a good athlete?
No.

You’re thinking of

Arts

John Oliver (composer) (born 1959), Canadian composer

John Oliver (conductor), American conductor and founder of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus

John Oliver, also known as Gerry Bean(20th century), Canadian actor

Religion

John Oliver (bishop) (born 1935), former Bishop of Hereford

John Oliver (Dean of Christ Church)(died 1552), Anglican priest

John Oliver (Dean of Worcester) (1601–1661), Anglican priest

John Oliver (Archdeacon of Leeds)(born 1939)

John Oliver (Archdeacon of Ardagh)(died 1778)

Sports

John Oliver (canoeist) (born 1943), British sprint canoer

John Oliver (cricketer) (1918–1992), English cricketer

John Oliver (footballer, born 1867)(1867–?), English footballer who played in the 1880s, and 1890s

John Oliver (footballer, born 1913)(1913–1991), English footballer of the 1930s

John Oliver (speedway rider) (born 1987), Australian speedway rider

Others

John Oliver (British Columbia politician)(1856–1927), Canadian politician and former Premier of British Columbia

John Oliver (Ontario politician) (born 1956), Canadian politician

Jack Oliver (scientist) (1923–2011), American scientist

John Dudley Oliver (1834–1909), British Army general and Commandant of the Royal Military College, Canada

John Morrison Oliver (1828–1872), American general in the U.S. Civil War

John Rathbone Oliver (1872–1943), American psychiatrist, medical historian, author, and priest

John Watkins Oliver (1914–1990), American federal judge

See also

Jon Oliva (born 1960), lead vocalist for Savatage

:sarcasm:

as noted above, the laziest form of humor.

Turns our I misremembered the quote. Actual:

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence” 

- Oscar Wilde. 

TLEF316 said:
I think he's been less funny lately (partially because of the format of the show during COVID) but I generally find him pretty funny.

I think there are a lot of left-leaning comedians (and other media people who aren't really comedians) who are going to have literally nothing else to talk about once Trump is out of office (whether that's in January or 4 years from now). They're all doing the same 5 jokes over and over again and its brutal. Noah is the worst. Dude is a complete non-talent.

Oliver will be better (IMO) once the expectation of "make fun of Trump" is off him. His other bits are way better and his stuff is more clever when he's not going after such low hanging fruit. The whole feud with the CEO of the coal company was outstanding.
Totally disagree with the apparently wide spread dislike of Noah. He's below Colbert and Oliver (and obviously Stewart) but still pretty solid. 

The guy whose show should improve significantly when Trump is out, is Jimmy Fallon. I like some of his stuff but his Trump impressions and t shirt giveaways are horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread