What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FRIDAY MUSIC THREAD: Best TV theme song of all time (1 Viewer)

Of the ones mentioned, I would go with:

Hawaii Five-0
Miami Vice
Knight Rider
Game of Thrones

Not necessarily in that order.

Almost have to break it into four categories:

• Comedy/Sitcom Classic
  • Comedy/Sitcom Modern
  • Drama/Action Classic
  • Drama/Action Modern

For comedy classics, it's hard to beat the nostalgia of Happy Days (with nods to All in the Family, The Jeffersons and Laverne & Shirley). But is the right answer "The Flintstones"?

For comedy modern, Cheers is the winner (if it's still modern...when did I become old?), and I have a soft spot for Frasier's "Tossed Salad and Scrambled Eggs."  Surprised no one has thrown out Friends as an option.

Action Classic, Magnum PI is in the mix. Gotta love some A-Team as well.

Action Modern, meh. Whatever's out there. Random but I always liked the cello in the theme to Angel (the Buffy spinoff).

Interesting question is whether we're judging the songs or the shows whose memory the song invokes? I'm sure there have been amazing songs attached to dud shows that we know nothing about. And some of the above are probably not all that but we think they are because of how the song makes us feel.

Good topic.

I'm fascinated by the evolution of the "Cheers" theme song.

First, there was "People Like Us". It got the attention of the producers of "Cheers", but they wanted him to re-write it with barfly-themed lyrics.

So, he wrote "My Kind Of People" and sent it to the "Cheers" producers. It was rejected.

He went back to the drawing board and came up with "Another Day". Again, the producers passed.

Then he struck gold with "Where Everybody Knows Your Name". The "Cheers" producers loved it. They did insist on making one more change, however: ditch the Red Sox lyrics. They're too specific. The show is for everyone, not just sports fans in Boston.

And that's why the song starts with "Making your way in the world today" instead of "Singing the blues when the Red Sox lose".

My first thought was Barney Miller. Then Sanford and Son.

Some great mentions in here: White Shadow, Rockford Files, The Greatest American Hero, and the Love Boat.

Hawaii 5-0 has to take it for best theme, though. That music is just awesome.

For comedy classics, it's hard to beat the nostalgia of Happy Days

For comedy modern, Cheers is the winner (if it's still modern...when did I become old?)
Cheers is much closer in time to Happy Days than it is to now lol.  Weren't they both on in the early 80s?
"Cheers" and "Happy Days" overlapped for 2 seasons. In the summer of 1984, both aired on Thursday nights ("Happy Days" at 8:30, "Cheers" at 9).

"Happy Days" feels more nostalgic because it was set in the 1950s.

Users who are viewing this thread