What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Dune movie by Denis Villeneuve thread **UPDATE- Dune 1 back on IMAX! Part 2 release March 1! (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
Can't wait.

The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Dune is scheduled to be released in the United States in IMAX and 3D on December 18, 2020, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Last edited:
Was so hoping there would be a trailer link.
It's not out yet.
In a recent interview with InStyle, Spider-Man: Far From Home star Zendaya has confirmed that she has indeed watched the

first trailer for Denis Villeneuve’s highly-anticipated remake of Dune, which is reportedly set to play in front of the special re-release screenings for Christopher Nolan’s Inception. The 23-year-old actress, who recently earned her first Emmy nomination for her performance in HBO’s Euphoria, had also expressed her excitement of being a part of an “incredible” film despite only having limited screen time.

Eta

A U.S. rollout is supposed to begin September 3, though that remains a largely theoretical prospect given the country’s poor management of the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait.

The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Dune is scheduled to be released in the United States in IMAX and 3D on December 18, 2020, by Warner Bros. Pictures.
Denis did a great job with Blade Runner 2049 and this is an amazing grouping of actors. I didn't realize all of these people will be in it. I really hope it is safe to see this in IMAX when it comes out.

I know 0 about Dune, but I have loved everything I have seen Denis has put out so far, so I am for sure down.  

I still don’t think this is a story that can be done credibly in a movie format (or even 2 movies in this case) but hope to be proved wrong.

Edit: I also can’t believe it’s already been 20 years since the Sci-fi Mini Series!

:goodposting:

I may be wrong, but this just isn't a story that's accessible by the masses no matter how good the presentation. I don't expect it to do well at the box office at all.

Hmmm, I have read all of the Dune books.  The David Lynch adaptation on the big screen was ambitious and a guilty pleasure of mine as I thought it did a fine job.  I mean, it came out in 1984 so obviously the effects were not nearly on par as what we may have today, but it more than sufficed.

I very much enjoyed Blade Runner 2046 and Sicario and the Arrival was decent enough, so when I heard Villeneuve was tackling this project I was all in.  The trailer left me underwhelmed to be honest.  I didn't realize it was going to be a 2-parter, so maybe with a larger canvas he'll be able to pull through something special.  Hopefully it's all been shot already so if the first one doesn't do great due to Covid/poor reception/etc.....the second never gets going.  

:goodposting:

I may be wrong, but this just isn't a story that's accessible by the masses no matter how good the presentation. I don't expect it to do well at the box office at all.
Honestly have no idea what it's about. The trailer didn't help me any.  Looks cool and all, but you may be right...

Have never watched the first version, should I watch the first one or go into this blind?

No background with the books either.

Have never watched the first version, should I watch the first one or go into this blind?

No, go into this blind.  The first movie adaption of this was pretty confusing, they did an extended cut and added some narration to help explain the world and what was going on that made it better.  The movie came out when I was very young, so I didn't see it when it first came out, but that was main complaint from what I remember.  As someone above said, it's now a guilty pleasure of mine, but it very dated.

Hopefully they do a good adaptation here and people not familiar with it can both enjoy the movie and understand what's going on.

guru_007 said:
Hmmm, I have read all of the Dune books.  The David Lynch adaptation on the big screen was ambitious and a guilty pleasure of mine as I thought it did a fine job.  I mean, it came out in 1984 so obviously the effects were not nearly on par as what we may have today, but it more than sufficed.

I very much enjoyed Blade Runner 2046 and Sicario and the Arrival was decent enough, so when I heard Villeneuve was tackling this project I was all in.  The trailer left me underwhelmed to be honest.  I didn't realize it was going to be a 2-parter, so maybe with a larger canvas he'll be able to pull through something special.  Hopefully it's all been shot already so if the first one doesn't do great due to Covid/poor reception/etc.....the second never gets going.  
2nd one has not been shot/greenlit. Villeneuve got "assurances" that he could do the story in two parts but they didn't pony up the cash to film it all at once. So there won't be a 2nd part if the first one bombs. There is also a prequel tv show for HBO Max streaming in development focusing on the Bene Gesserit. This really should have been a GoT-esque tv show for HBO IMO instead of a movie, the story is just too epic and complicated for a few hours of movie to cover everything.

Would also recommend blind, the David Lynch movie from the 80's tried it's best but came out a mess. The book has a lot of internal dialogue (characters talking to themselves in their heads that explains a lot of background and other things going on) and the studio forced in voice-overs trying to reproduce that and explain things which turned out very poorly and confusing to audiences. Studio and producers making it had a hand in messing it up too as Lynch wasn't even allowed final cut on the film. It's now considered a cult classic, but in part due to its hokey-ness and some of the bad/weird aspects they added/changed.

The Sci-Fi (Syfy) mini series from 2000 is pretty solid and while ambitious, it suffered from being a low budget tv mini series for cable so the production values are pretty low, even in terms of the time it was made. Biggest issues are some of the sets and locations are obviously sound stages and some of the acting could be better as they had to go with mostly unknown actors due to budget.

:excited:

guru_007 said:
Same here.  I went into the first movie blind, I had not read the books.  I really enjoyed the movie and it made me go read the books, and I have since read everything Dune.  I am very excited and hopeful for this.

That being said, I am used to movies I really like being not so popular, but everyone has their tastes.  Dune is one of those movies I will stop and watch whenever it is on.  Just like John Carter, another series of books that were finally converted to a movie.  Not a popular flick, but I will stop and watch every time.

The short description:
Dune is the story of Paul Atreides, and his struggle to restore his family's position in the empire and defeat the forces that caused their destruction...and possibly be something greater as a univeral messiah. 

The medium-sized description:
The Emperor of the Known Universe conspires with one political family, the Harkonnen, to set up another family, the Atreides, for failure by sending them to the planet Arrakis - source of the universe's most important substance, melange a.k.a Spice, which extends human life and enhances mental capabilities. 

The Bene Gesserit are an exclusively female group with mystical powers and murky political gains, of which Lady Jessica Atreides is a member. She teaches her son Paul some of their ways.

Paul ends up living with the Fremen, the desert dwelling inhabitants of Arrakis, who worship the planet's giant sandworms. The sandworm's larvae are what produce melange.

Paul and the Fremen fight the forces aligned against them. 

The quick criticism:

Lot's of politics, a little religion, and too many strange names will make it a confusing mess to sort out for most viewers.

Fans of the story, OTOH, will probably find it the best adaptation of the material to date.

And I just read that the script was written by Jon Spaihts (Prometheus, Passengers, Doctor Strange, The Mummy with Tom Cruise). That's problematic. 

It is interesting to look at the actors in this version and compare them to the 1984 version.  Famous names on both sides of the lists.

Leto Atreides - Jürgen Prochnow >> Oscar Isaac
Paul Atreides - Kyle MacLachlan >> Timothee Chalamet  (any time I see MacLachlan on TV I say "Muad'dib!" ... my wife never appreciates it)
Gurney Halleck - Patrick Stewart >> Josh Brolin
Kynes - Max von Sydow >> Sharon Duncan-Brewster (a gender change)
Dave Bautista as Rabban is a great move.

A couple of big names in the old one that I don't see listed yet in the new one:
Feyd Rautha - Sting >> ?, and Emperor Shaddam IV - Jose Ferrar >> ?

The biggest one for me is Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho.  In the 1984 movie he is played by blond Richard Jordan, but the books describe him closer to Momoa.  I'm hoping the character has more prominence in this movie, as he plays a big part in the remainder of the books.

Also, the CGI technology sure makes the personal shields look much better.

It is interesting to look at the actors in this version and compare them to the 1984 version.  Famous names on both sides of the lists.

Leto Atreides - Jürgen Prochnow >> Oscar Isaac
Paul Atreides - Kyle MacLachlan >> Timothee Chalamet  (any time I see MacLachlan on TV I say "Muad'dib!" ... my wife never appreciates it)
Gurney Halleck - Patrick Stewart >> Josh Brolin
Kynes - Max von Sydow >> Sharon Duncan-Brewster (a gender change)
Dave Bautista as Rabban is a great move.

A couple of big names in the old one that I don't see listed yet in the new one:
Feyd Rautha - Sting >> ?, and Emperor Shaddam IV - Jose Ferrar >> ?

The biggest one for me is Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho.  In the 1984 movie he is played by blond Richard Jordan, but the books describe him closer to Momoa.  I'm hoping the character has more prominence in this movie, as he plays a big part in the remainder of the books.

Also, the CGI technology sure makes the personal shields look much better.
Think I read since they are only doing part 1 (first half of the book) that they are saving Feyd for part 2, I assume the same with the Emperor. Momoa is a great casting choice for Duncan, Duncan has got way too short screen time in both prior adaptations especially for how much of a badass he’s supposed to be so hopefully his fighting prowess is on full display in this movie.

I'll watch. I was a huge science fantasy nerd in middle school and came across Dune. Read every book in the series a few times but like some are skeptical a movie will ever do it justice without first setting up the backstory properly. It's been years since I've immersed myself in Dune so a lot is faded but Andy put together a nice synopsis for anyone going into this blind.

Not sure why but I ran across these today and thought they were good primers if your memory is fuzzy on these.

Ultimate Guide to Dune 1 - this one is long, 30 minutes but good. There part 2, 3, 4, etc if you are interested.

Full Timeline of Dune - this was pretty interesting. Gives you a timeline for all of Dune, only about 10 minutes.

Think I read since they are only doing part 1 (first half of the book) that they are saving Feyd for part 2, I assume the same with the Emperor. Momoa is a great casting choice for Duncan, Duncan has got way too short screen time in both prior adaptations especially for how much of a badass he’s supposed to be so hopefully his fighting prowess is on full display in this movie.
Plus hes a major character in the last few books if they make it that far

That was a great watch. I never read Dune, though have wanted to. Think I’ll rectify that. 
Man, I’m about 15% into the book, and there sure is A LOT OF DIALOGUE ABOUT POLITICAL STUFF.  I mean, I get it, political gamesmanship and palace intrigue are staples of classic sci-fi, but this is admittedly a bit of a slog.

Man, I’m about 15% into the book, and there sure is A LOT OF DIALOGUE ABOUT POLITICAL STUFF.  I mean, I get it, political gamesmanship and palace intrigue are staples of classic sci-fi, but this is admittedly a bit of a slog.
This is what I'm saying. Imagine Game of Thrones with giant slugs instead of dragons...and all the exciting parts taken out. 

This is what I'm saying. Imagine Game of Thrones with giant slugs instead of dragons...and all the exciting parts taken out. 
I realize that this is one of the most beloved sci-fi novels of all time, and the last thing I want to do is crap on something that is beloved to a ton of people. But the first 75 pages or so (I’m reading in a Kindle app so it’s sort of difficult to equate to page numbers) has been a sequence of people standing in a room talking to one another. I’m wondering if that changes after the groundwork of the story has been laid.  Or is that pretty much the style of the story throughout? 

I realize that this is one of the most beloved sci-fi novels of all time, and the last thing I want to do is crap on something that is beloved to a ton of people. But the first 75 pages or so (I’m reading in a Kindle app so it’s sort of difficult to equate to page numbers) has been a sequence of people standing in a room talking to one another. I’m wondering if that changes after the groundwork of the story has been laid.  Or is that pretty much the style of the story throughout? 
I'm also curious if it gets better for you BB. Please do keep me posted. I love Sci Fi and know nothing about the Dune world, but in laid off due to covid and have nothing to do but read all day. 

It’s been at least 25 years since I read it so hard to remember, but from what I recall there is a ton of confusing world building and setting up the politics at the beginning which is probably the parts you are in. Not a ton of action that I recall until around the midway point which I would guess will likely comprise the bulk of the events in the first movie.

It’s been at least 25 years since I read it so hard to remember, but from what I recall there is a ton of confusing world building and setting up the politics at the beginning which is probably the parts you are in. Not a ton of action that I recall until around the midway point which I would guess will likely comprise the bulk of the events in the first movie.
Okay, that is good news, thank you.

There are 6? books that span 15,000? years, it picks up.

Users who are viewing this thread