What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mail-in voting thread (1 Viewer)

Not getting your ballot in on time is not any different than trying to get to your polling place at the last minute to find yourself in a traffic jam with everyone else trying to get to ther polling place at the last minute  

I mailed my ballot last week. 

Not getting your ballot in on time is not any different than trying to get to your polling place at the last minute to find yourself in a traffic jam with everyone else trying to get to ther polling place at the last minute  

I mailed my ballot last week. 
Except some are mailing it over a week before and it didn't get there until a week later.  

Except some are mailing it over a week before and it didn't get there until a week later.  
I didn't see that in the article.... what were ther circumstances?  I know here in Florida they are fighting to make the postmark the indicator rather than physical presence. That makes sense,  but it also makes things easier to discern,  so of course the GOP is fighting it. 

Tennessee originally was slated to let anyone request a ballot if they did not feel comfortable voting in person due to Covid.

For the Primary last week...I actually voted early...and will do so again for the General because I do/did not trust our legislators who are fighting against this...sure enough, on the even of the primary, the State Supreme Court ruled against the election commission allowing all to request mail in ballots.  Now...it apparently did not have an effect on the primary and was issued on the day that people could start requesting absentee ballots for the General Election.  Overturning a lower courts decision.  Had a feeling the legislature would be fighting it and well...the red is strong in this state to keep pushing it...didn't want to ruling to come later...and force people last minute to have to go vote.  Glad it at least came now.

The ruling did add some Covid related conditions if people have certain health conditions to be more compromised with in person voting.  So that is good.   My early voting experience was pretty good...though, as it got later in the timing...the lines were pretty big.  I try to go on about the 3rd or 4th day if possible...a Tuesday or Wednesday.  

I didn't see that in the article.... what were ther circumstances?  I know here in Florida they are fighting to make the postmark the indicator rather than physical presence. That makes sense,  but it also makes things easier to discern,  so of course the GOP is fighting it. 
From the article

Democrats and progressive groups are suing to change the rules in Florida, where 18,504 vote-by-mail ballots — more than 1.3% of the total — were rejected in the state's March primary for a variety of reasons, including missed deadlines. The lawsuit argues that mail-in ballots should have to be only postmarked — not received — by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

Kirk Nielsen, one of 10 plaintiffs in the case, says the fate of a ballot is out of a voter's hands once it goes in the mail. His was one of thousands of ballots rejected in the state in 2018. Nielsen says he mailed it eight days before Election Day, but it was not received until eight days after. He worries about being disenfranchised again

From the article

Democrats and progressive groups are suing to change the rules in Florida, where 18,504 vote-by-mail ballots — more than 1.3% of the total — were rejected in the state's March primary for a variety of reasons, including missed deadlines. The lawsuit argues that mail-in ballots should have to be only postmarked — not received — by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

Kirk Nielsen, one of 10 plaintiffs in the case, says the fate of a ballot is out of a voter's hands once it goes in the mail. His was one of thousands of ballots rejected in the state in 2018. Nielsen says he mailed it eight days before Election Day, but it was not received until eight days after. He worries about being disenfranchised again
Right..... this is the fight i am talking about.  However,  they make it crystal clear that the ballot has to be there physically by 7pm on election day. It's plastered everywhere on the materials. 

That said,  we can also drop them away voting locations in a secure box too. personally,  it's only logical that they go by postmark IMO but that gives moes people one less way to reject ballots

Postmark makes the most sense, and that's how we've done things in Washington for years. You just have to adjust your expectations that you'll know results on election night, because races can swing as much as ten percent in the week after the election. 

They're hand-marked paper ballots too, which are by far the most secure option and the easiest to recount in the case of very close races. 

Oh, and physical dropboxes are great. There's one a couple blocks away, I vote by bike. Never wait in line. Get to fill out my ballot at the dining room table with a laptop out talking with my wife. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Postmark makes the most sense, and that's how we've done things in Washington for years. You just have to adjust your expectations that you'll know results on election night, because races can swing as much as ten percent in the week after the election. 

They're hand-marked paper ballots too, which are by far the most secure option and the easiest to recount in the case of very close races. 

Oh, and physical dropboxes are great. There's one a couple blocks away, I vote by bike. Never wait in line. Get to fill out my ballot at the dining room table with a laptop out talking with my wife. 
From what I can gather in state history, the drop boxes are the direct result of inaction by our state to shift to postmarks.  Apparently it was a significant fight to get vote by mail to begin with and the losers of that battle are fighting it in these ways instead making it as tough as possible (including third party factors out of the control of the voter).  I can believe this given their continued fight to suppress voting of ex-Felons even after the electorate voted overwhelmingly for it.  

• Smile
Reactions: rct
Not sure it's election tampering or even election fraud, but it does seem impeachable if he's actually doing things to limit the effectiveness of the post office in order to affect the vote count.
Od consider the executive who is also a candidate doing things to affect the vote count is tampering.  But yeah. Its awful and out in the open and nothing will happen.  Supporters will wither agree or just say “I wish he hadn’t said that...but...”

• Smile
Says the quiet part out loud again

Admits he doesn’t want to fund the Post Office to prevent universal mail in voting.
Question for the people that follow this more closely and know more than me:

What do you think his expectation of % republican / % democrat is from mail-in ballots?

Obviously he assumes there will be a higher number of votes for democrats through mail-in and that's why he's attempting to limit it, do you think that's a correct assumption?

My assumption was that the general % republican is higher in older age groups that may have more trouble getting to the polls or may stay home and mail in to avoid exposing themselves to the virus.

Does restricting mail in voting actually help Trump and how?

(Full disclosure: I'm an independent and just vote for who I thing would do the best job regardless of party affiliation.)

The most amazing part of this whole thing is not that he openly admitted it, which is NUTS, but that his supporters will brush it off and use other excuses for why he’s doing it.  
There won't be a single comment from them on this corruption

I just want the next government to be normal.  To be less focused on corruption and gaming the system.  But there is a small part of me that wants them to put one voting location in all of alabama and have it be the African american section of Birmingham.  

What do you think his expectation of % republican / % democrat is from mail-in ballots?
I'll try to remember what show I saw this on so I can find the numbers. There was polling that shows gigantic divergence by party acc. to whether you plan to vote by mail or in person.  Ds more mail. Rs more in-person
For anyone in an  area offering drop off boxes, please encourage friends and family to use those over mail.

ETA- Here's something from Monmouth:
Nearly half of all voters report they are either very (32%) or somewhat (17%) likely to cast their own general election ballot by mail. This includes 72% of Democrats and 48% of independents, but just 22% of Republicans.

This (from Emerson) is only for Montana and may be what I previously saw:
62% of Montana voters plan to vote by mail. Democrats overwhelmingly plan to do so, with 88% saying they will vote by mail
Republicans on the other hand plan to be showing up at the ballot box this year, with 57% saying they plan to vote in person. Similar to the Emerson national Poll in July, of those who plan to vote in person, 87% are supporting Trump, and of those voting by mail, 61% plan to support Biden. 

• Smile
Yep. 

President Trump on Thursday told Fox Business' Maria Bartiromo that Democratic demands to fund mail-in voting and the U.S. Postal Service in ongoing coronavirus stimulus negotiations were a non-starter."Those are just two items. But if they don't get those two items, that means you can't have universal mail-in voting because they're not equipped to have it," Trump said.
The president expressed similar feelings during his press briefing on Wednesday. "They don’t have the money to do the universal mail-in voting. So therefore, they can’t do it, I guess. ... Are they going to do it even if they don’t have the money?" he said.

https://www.axios.com/trump-mail-in-voting-funding-stimulus-86fd8f23-972c-464f-94da-c707f78b983b.html?fbclid=IwAR3UsbMdsHxbutdHvY0XVPjev8TJ8LKSgmZeCcTJdDm2mtKKRwvyLfILf38

Voter suppression and manipulation belongs in the dictatorship thread.  

Republicans say they can't help millions of suffering Americans because of the pandemic because democrats want to guarantee that all Americans have a safe way to exercise their constitutional right to vote.

These people are enemies to freedom and liberty.  This along with the constant rhetoric that the press being the enemy of the people is how fascism takes hold. 

New ruling from Supreme Court

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday declined to block a lower court ruling that makes it easier to vote by mail in Rhode Island, allowing that ruling to remain in effect....
Thursday's action keeps a Rhode Island law on hold that said absentee ballots must be signed by two witnesses or a notary public, as well as by the voter. The requirement was suspended for a June primary election, but Gov. Gina Raimondo, a Democrat, and the state legislature decided to enforce it for a second state primary in September and the general election in November.

Suing 2 Iowa Counties over VBM

Shot:

President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign has sued two Democratic-leaning Iowa counties that are making it easy to vote by mail during the coronavirus pandemic, seeking to invalidate tens of thousands of voters’ absentee ballot applications.

chaser: The Trump campaign and GOP groups did not sue Republican-leaning Woodbury County, where the auditor sent prepopulated forms to 57,000 registered voters this month. Trump carried that county by 8,500 votes in 2016.

Suing 2 Iowa Counties over VBM

Shot:

President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign has sued two Democratic-leaning Iowa counties that are making it easy to vote by mail during the coronavirus pandemic, seeking to invalidate tens of thousands of voters’ absentee ballot applications.

chaser: The Trump campaign and GOP groups did not sue Republican-leaning Woodbury County, where the auditor sent prepopulated forms to 57,000 registered voters this month. Trump carried that county by 8,500 votes in 2016.

Ugh...he's just so corrupt and so in the open about it. Our system has failed and our country is about too

Here's a fun one:
Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett also told the U.S. Senate Committee on Rules and Administration recently that his state doesn't allow drop boxes for fear voters might be pressured to vote a certain way.
"If someone knows you've got an absentee ballot, they can say, 'Hey I'll be glad to take that for you and drop that off for you.' They can ask to watch you fill that ballot out or they cannot turn it in at all for you," Hargett said. "We believe it's a great security measure to have someone returning their own ballot by the United States Postal Service."

...'cause no one would ever say Hey I'll be glad to take that for you and drop that off for you...... at a mail box.  :doh:

Here's a fun one:
Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett also told the U.S. Senate Committee on Rules and Administration recently that his state doesn't allow drop boxes for fear voters might be pressured to vote a certain way.
"If someone knows you've got an absentee ballot, they can say, 'Hey I'll be glad to take that for you and drop that off for you.' They can ask to watch you fill that ballot out or they cannot turn it in at all for you," Hargett said. "We believe it's a great security measure to have someone returning their own ballot by the United States Postal Service."

...'cause no one would ever say Hey I'll be glad to take that for you and drop that off for you...... at a mail box.  :doh:
You wouldn’t be obligated to give it to them. Just ridiculous by the TN GOP

Well, you could theoretically give it to them in good faith and be "taken advantage of". But the same risk exists with taking to mail box, so false distinction.

The ballot is likely already filled out and in a sealed/signed envelope. They're just dropping it off. "No thanks, guy, I can go ahead and walk the final 15 feet."

I'd expect 3-5% of mail in ballots to be lost 

3% was one study but with the massive ammt of mail the USPS cannot process, it'll be higher

I thought every vote was important ?

Boggles the mind that this isn’t figured out. What the hell states? Do you not want your people voting?

You mail out ballots to voters. The packet contains a ballot, an envelope, and a tear away that contains a barcode to identify your ballot. 

You take your time, read up, make an informed choice. You do this whenever you like. You drop it in the mail at your leisure a couple weeks before November 3.

A couple days later you check your ballot was received and counted with your barcode.

This is so easy. Why can’t people figure this out. 

Boggles the mind that this isn’t figured out. What the hell states? Do you not want your people voting?

You mail out ballots to voters. The packet contains a ballot, an envelope, and a tear away that contains a barcode to identify your ballot. 

You take your time, read up, make an informed choice. You do this whenever you like. You drop it in the mail at your leisure a couple weeks before November 3.

A couple days later you check your ballot was received and counted with your barcode.

This is how CA does it. At least my county anyway. 

Because republicans don't want it figured out. 

3% was one study but with the massive ammt of mail the USPS cannot process, it'll be higher

Seems about right given every single election the "invalid ballot" threshold is approx 3-4%.  Voting by mail hasn't shown to increase that number by much, if at all.  We're on the same page :hifive:  

Seems about right given every single election the "invalid ballot" threshold is approx 3-4%.  Voting by mail hasn't shown to increase that number by much, if at all.  We're on the same page
And with the increase of voting turnout the mail-in is expected lead too that means more people voted.  That’s a good thing right SC?   

I don't know if it will or not - but it will lead to more cheating and lost ballots
But assuming it does that a good thing right? 

And yes as the numbers get larger the more cheating and lost ballots will happen.  But the overall net gain far outweighs the small percentage of cheating or lost ballots.  

I don't know if it will or not - but it will lead to more cheating and lost ballots
Well yeah...rising tide raises all ships...as long as  it stays in the range you predict, what's the problem?  If it sticks there, that's business as usual.  Yeah, it removes the boogeyman fear mongering scare tactics, but so what?  We've talked about doing that anyway, right?

I don’t get how mail-in is so messed up with these states and why they don’t have it in place already.

There will certainly be issues. 

If these people weren’t going to be able to vote at all without mail-in even some loss is much better than them not voting at all.

Imagine a world where an increase of 97 additional participants to the election cycle is a bad thing because there is something wrong with (or lost) 3 others...yikes!

I don’t get how mail-in is so messed up with these states and why they don’t have it in place already.

There will certainly be issues. 

If these people weren’t going to be able to vote at all without mail-in even some loss is much better than them not voting at all.
Well, I understand completely why this is true for the "red" states...it IS puzzling for the "blue" states.  This should be the way we do it as a nation IMO.  Been saying this since we moved to Florida in 2017

Users who are viewing this thread