What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ EPL 2020-21 Fantasy League ⚽ ​ Congrats McBokononon on the title! (1 Viewer)

In anticipation of @Poke_4_Life complaining about the scoring - I created a separate league using our scoring from last year:

Slow Pokes:

2019 - 18.93 - teams get 22 points just for showing up

2020 - 15

Sinn/Gator/Bluto

2019 - 50.03 - this would be a winning score in most weeks

2020 - 101.75

The differences in scoring are at the extremes.  This year the scoring really rewards Goal/Assists/Clean Sheets, and really punishes bad results like Goals Against and Yellow Cards.  In this particular game, we had 5 assists, 2 goals, 1 clean sheet and Poke had none of those, so it should not be close.  Poke just had a down week, after leading the league in scoring in week 1.

Last year we also rewarded teams with 22 points just for picking players who started - so Poke's team actually would have lost points for on-field performance.

I think there may be room for some tweaking at the end of the season, but I think this scoring is not really impacting results in any meaningful way from last year.

Despite all my #####ing, I still think it is too early to draw conclusions. 

Like @Sinn Fein I had the most points in the league last week. 

I will continue to ##### about negative points, but I paid my $35 just like everyone else. 

Sinn Fein said:
In anticipation of @Poke_4_Life complaining about the scoring - I created a separate league using our scoring from last year:

Slow Pokes:

2019 - 18.93 - teams get 22 points just for showing up

2020 - 15

Sinn/Gator/Bluto

2019 - 50.03 - this would be a winning score in most weeks

2020 - 101.75

The differences in scoring are at the extremes.  This year the scoring really rewards Goal/Assists/Clean Sheets, and really punishes bad results like Goals Against and Yellow Cards.  In this particular game, we had 5 assists, 2 goals, 1 clean sheet and Poke had none of those, so it should not be close.  Poke just had a down week, after leading the league in scoring in week 1.

Last year we also rewarded teams with 22 points just for picking players who started - so Poke's team actually would have lost points for on-field performance.

I think there may be room for some tweaking at the end of the season, but I think this scoring is not really impacting results in any meaningful way from last year.
So I'm the "Settings Guy" for all three of the magic football leagues I commish or co-commish. My home league is in its 19th year while the other two have been around for at least six. 

Regarding the bolded, this is what I deal with each offseason. Several years ago, I decided that controlling volatility was a fruitless endeavor. There will always be fringe scores. You just hope to have them or not be on the wrong side of the blowup.

Here's the worst part of the situation for the commish for our league: 

Magic football: QB / RB /RB / WR / WR / TE/ Flex / PK / TD (most basic lazy setup)

Magic soccer: F / M / D/ GK (basic setup with a lot of flexibility inside each position except GK)

Volatility is not able to managed as easily in this format because there are basically half of the position groups available to spread around point opportunities. 

I have no problem with negative points for the standard reasons (red/yellow/goal allowed/other). Aside from one of the three magic football leagues I run, there are no minuses. 

Just my  :2cents:         :banned:

Also, I play magic sports to get away from the flogging of every day life. 

So......thanks to all of you for making this deal go down. Much appreciation to @sinngatorblutoandeveryoneelseincludingthechubbman for all your work

:banned:

@Bonzai - @Rooney10

I just noticed this morning - you have an illegal roster. 

IR spots are only for Covid quarantines - you have to remove Aguero and Redmond from those spots and cut 2 players from the roster.

Thanks

PS - tried to send you a message but Bonzai "cannot receive messages"

3.  I have added 2 injured reserve spots to the teams - these can ONLY be used if/while a player who is already on your roster is forced to quarantine for some period of time (typically it will be 14 days).  Players cannot be added for any other reason (in keeping with previous years).  And, you may not add a player from waivers/FA to the IR - only players that were already on your roster when they were required to quarantine.*

@Bonzai - @Rooney10

I just noticed this morning - you have an illegal roster. 

IR spots are only for Covid quarantines - you have to remove Aguero and Redmond from those spots and cut 2 players from the roster.

Thanks

PS - tried to send you a message but Bonzai "cannot receive messages"
Bruno Fernandes and David de Gea

Didn't read the fine print. If you put 'em there I'm going to use them.  :shrug:

Went ahead and fixed it.

@Sinn Fein / @The Gator / @Bluto Blutarsky

@zazale / @Getzlaf15

@Christo / @justforpdsl

@TLEF316

@JMon348

@Poke_4_Life

@drunken slob

@Bonzai / @Rooney10

@Ned

@shader

@Moe.

@Kumerica

I think I tagged everyone.

First, good luck in the upcoming season.  I hope everyone has an injury-free season.

Second, just a reminder that the goal is to run waivers in between each match week - so that may mean running waivers on Monday nights and Thursday nights - 9:00 ET each night - depending on how the mid-weeks are setup.  I will post a reminder when we get close.

Third - and most important - COVID rules:

1.  If the season is canceled with less than 19 games played for all PL teams - we will simply refund everyone the $35.  

2.  If the season is canceled after 19 games have been played - we will pay out according to the standings at that time.

3.  I have added 2 injured reserve spots to the teams - these can ONLY be used if/while a player who is already on your roster is forced to quarantine for some period of time (typically it will be 14 days).  Players cannot be added for any other reason (in keeping with previous years).  And, you may not add a player from waivers/FA to the IR - only players that were already on your roster when they were required to quarantine.*

4.  I am doing this somewhat on the fly, I reserve the right to make reasonable adjustments if the situation warrants.  Hopefully it does not come to that.

5.  If the season is "postponed" we will simply wait it out until they reach a conclusion - like last season.

*If you use the IR inappropriately, I will send a message, and if its not fixed, I will cut the player from the roster as punishment...

Any questions?  PM @Bluto Blutarsky
bump

SRCUFC - 110, 101, 41, 105 (which was a loss while outscoring 9 teams)
:lmao:

I am guessing you did not follow the results as closely as I did on Sunday...(seeing as you never used your 11th player)

This was a crazy matchup - with wild lead changes after every match.

Going into the last game - we had a ~28 point lead, after overcoming a 26-point deficit heading into Spurs/United - I assumed we were home free.  As the game went on, I was texting/cursing @Bluto Blutarsky with each goal that Liverpool shipped - even hoping that Villa would simply kill off the game at halftime...

Fortunately, Trezeguet was subbed off with 4 minutes to go, and we held on to a 4-point win.

:lmao:

I am guessing you did not follow the results as closely as I did on Sunday...(seeing as you never used your 11th player)

This was a crazy matchup - with wild lead changes after every match.

Going into the last game - we had a ~28 point lead, after overcoming a 26-point deficit heading into Spurs/United - I assumed we were home free.  As the game went on, I was texting/cursing @Bluto Blutarsky with each goal that Liverpool shipped - even hoping that Villa would simply kill off the game at halftime...

Fortunately, Trezeguet was subbed off with 4 minutes to go, and we held on to a 4-point win.
Was never in doubt imo. :coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread