Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
The Gator

⚽ EPL 2020-21 Fantasy League ⚽ ​ Poke tired of all the negativity

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

@Sinn Fein

 

Is there a mercy rule? 

If there was, at least 3 games would be over already.

And we'd probably relegate @Bonzai...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

#1 waiver priority checking in here. Send me your best offers for Gareth Bale.

I’ll redirect the beer I’m sending Sinn to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

I’ll redirect the beer I’m sending Sinn to you. 

I’ll trade you Bale for #4 priority and Sinn/Gator can never post in the PSF again. If it happens, I keep the waiver and get Bale back.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Suck it all of you! My team now has positive points! That means I win!

Suck it #####es!

Good job avoiding, "Administration" :toilet:

Keep up the good work :yes:

:banned:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When does this thing start?

Edited by Bonzai
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have to start a full 11 or can we sit players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ned said:

Do you have to start a full 11 or can we sit players?

you can play whoever or nobody as long as the roster is legal (3D, 2M, 1F, 1G)

Edited by zazale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bonzai said:

When does this thing start?

Next week.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In anticipation of @Poke_4_Life complaining about the scoring - I created a separate league using our scoring from last year:

 

Slow Pokes:

2019 - 18.93 - teams get 22 points just for showing up

2020 - 15

 

Sinn/Gator/Bluto

2019 - 50.03 - this would be a winning score in most weeks

2020 - 101.75

 

The differences in scoring are at the extremes.  This year the scoring really rewards Goal/Assists/Clean Sheets, and really punishes bad results like Goals Against and Yellow Cards.  In this particular game, we had 5 assists, 2 goals, 1 clean sheet and Poke had none of those, so it should not be close.  Poke just had a down week, after leading the league in scoring in week 1.

Last year we also rewarded teams with 22 points just for picking players who started - so Poke's team actually would have lost points for on-field performance.

 

I think there may be room for some tweaking at the end of the season, but I think this scoring is not really impacting results in any meaningful way from last year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite all my #####ing, I still think it is too early to draw conclusions. 

Like @Sinn Fein I had the most points in the league last week. 

I will continue to ##### about negative points, but I paid my $35 just like everyone else. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think there may be room for some twerking at the end of the season

:oldunsure:

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KDB is going to be absurd. Sonny scored 4 goals and only outscored him by 10. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

In anticipation of @Poke_4_Life complaining about the scoring - I created a separate league using our scoring from last year:

 

Slow Pokes:

2019 - 18.93 - teams get 22 points just for showing up

2020 - 15

 

Sinn/Gator/Bluto

2019 - 50.03 - this would be a winning score in most weeks

2020 - 101.75

 

The differences in scoring are at the extremes.  This year the scoring really rewards Goal/Assists/Clean Sheets, and really punishes bad results like Goals Against and Yellow Cards.  In this particular game, we had 5 assists, 2 goals, 1 clean sheet and Poke had none of those, so it should not be close.  Poke just had a down week, after leading the league in scoring in week 1.

Last year we also rewarded teams with 22 points just for picking players who started - so Poke's team actually would have lost points for on-field performance.

 

I think there may be room for some tweaking at the end of the season, but I think this scoring is not really impacting results in any meaningful way from last year.

So I'm the "Settings Guy" for all three of the magic football leagues I commish or co-commish. My home league is in its 19th year while the other two have been around for at least six. 

Regarding the bolded, this is what I deal with each offseason. Several years ago, I decided that controlling volatility was a fruitless endeavor. There will always be fringe scores. You just hope to have them or not be on the wrong side of the blowup.

Here's the worst part of the situation for the commish for our league: 

Magic football: QB / RB /RB / WR / WR / TE/ Flex / PK / TD (most basic lazy setup)

Magic soccer: F / M / D/ GK (basic setup with a lot of flexibility inside each position except GK)

Volatility is not able to managed as easily in this format because there are basically half of the position groups available to spread around point opportunities. 

I have no problem with negative points for the standard reasons (red/yellow/goal allowed/other). Aside from one of the three magic football leagues I run, there are no minuses. 

Just my :2cents:       :banned:

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I play magic sports to get away from the flogging of every day life. 

So......thanks to all of you for making this deal go down. Much appreciation to @sinngatorblutoandeveryoneelseincludingthechubbman for all your work

:banned:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We want YC's to be plus 10 points like penalty minutes in hockey are a positive. This way we can finish in the Top 3.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bonzai - @Rooney10

 

I just noticed this morning - you have an illegal roster. 

IR spots are only for Covid quarantines - you have to remove Aguero and Redmond from those spots and cut 2 players from the roster.

 

Thanks

 

PS - tried to send you a message but Bonzai "cannot receive messages"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 5:02 PM, Sinn Fein said:

3.  I have added 2 injured reserve spots to the teams - these can ONLY be used if/while a player who is already on your roster is forced to quarantine for some period of time (typically it will be 14 days).  Players cannot be added for any other reason (in keeping with previous years).  And, you may not add a player from waivers/FA to the IR - only players that were already on your roster when they were required to quarantine.*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

@Bonzai - @Rooney10

 

I just noticed this morning - you have an illegal roster. 

IR spots are only for Covid quarantines - you have to remove Aguero and Redmond from those spots and cut 2 players from the roster.

 

Thanks

 

PS - tried to send you a message but Bonzai "cannot receive messages"

Bruno Fernandes and David de Gea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shouldn't just be 2 players. It should be the 2 players they picked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Christo said:

It shouldn't just be 2 players. It should be the 2 players they picked up.

I thought about that - but in theory they could have picked those players up by dropping someone else.

The changes have been made.  Lessons learned, I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't read the fine print. If you put 'em there I'm going to use them. :shrug:

Went ahead and fixed it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bonzai said:

Didn't read the fine print. If you put 'em there I'm going to use them. :shrug:

Went ahead and fixed it.

 

It was bolded in the original...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

It was bolded in the original...

 

The original what?

No big deal. Definitely would've done things differently had we known but whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 5:02 PM, Sinn Fein said:

 @Sinn Fein / @The Gator / @Bluto Blutarsky

@zazale / @Getzlaf15

@Christo / @justforpdsl

@TLEF316

@JMon348

@Poke_4_Life

@drunken slob

@Bonzai / @Rooney10

@Ned

@shader

@Moe.

@Kumerica

 

I think I tagged everyone.

First, good luck in the upcoming season.  I hope everyone has an injury-free season.

Second, just a reminder that the goal is to run waivers in between each match week - so that may mean running waivers on Monday nights and Thursday nights - 9:00 ET each night - depending on how the mid-weeks are setup.  I will post a reminder when we get close.

Third - and most important - COVID rules:

1.  If the season is canceled with less than 19 games played for all PL teams - we will simply refund everyone the $35.  

2.  If the season is canceled after 19 games have been played - we will pay out according to the standings at that time.

3.  I have added 2 injured reserve spots to the teams - these can ONLY be used if/while a player who is already on your roster is forced to quarantine for some period of time (typically it will be 14 days).  Players cannot be added for any other reason (in keeping with previous years).  And, you may not add a player from waivers/FA to the IR - only players that were already on your roster when they were required to quarantine.*

4.  I am doing this somewhat on the fly, I reserve the right to make reasonable adjustments if the situation warrants.  Hopefully it does not come to that.

5.  If the season is "postponed" we will simply wait it out until they reach a conclusion - like last season.

 

*If you use the IR inappropriately, I will send a message, and if its not fixed, I will cut the player from the roster as punishment...

Any questions?  PM @Bluto Blutarsky

 

bump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have played Poke as a Defender this week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I almost had no negative points. If only Lewis had stayed on the bench. 

:lol:  I thought about you when he picked up the yellow - but assumed you had him on the bench this week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That terrible but awesome penalty call in the TOT/NEW match was a 14 point swing in the Matadors’ favor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

:lol:  I thought about you when he picked up the yellow - but assumed you had him on the bench this week...

No other defenders healthy to fill the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not letting me move Thiago to the COVID IR spot. Please adivce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Not letting me move Thiago to the COVID IR spot. Please adivce.

Done.

 

For future reference - send me and/or @The Gator a PM rather than rely on this thread.  I might miss an update here, but will get an email, at a minimum, if you send a PM

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Not letting me move Thiago to the COVID IR spot. Please adivce.

He’s holding out for a transfer to AFC 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 10:31 AM, McBokonon said:

13.14 - Callum Wilson - F - Newcastle, hopefully

🦴r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 7:40 AM, Sinn Fein said:

There will be a much higher variance from game-to-game.

You got that right. For players and teams.

SRCUFC - 110, 101, 41, 105 (which was a loss while outscoring 9 teams)

Zaha - 11, 31, -2, 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number 1 waiver pick and a dud deadline day.  Cavani here I come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Christo said:

SRCUFC - 110, 101, 41, 105 (which was a loss while outscoring 9 teams)

:lmao:

I am guessing you did not follow the results as closely as I did on Sunday...(seeing as you never used your 11th player)

This was a crazy matchup - with wild lead changes after every match.

 

Going into the last game - we had a ~28 point lead, after overcoming a 26-point deficit heading into Spurs/United - I assumed we were home free.  As the game went on, I was texting/cursing @Bluto Blutarsky with each goal that Liverpool shipped - even hoping that Villa would simply kill off the game at halftime...

Fortunately, Trezeguet was subbed off with 4 minutes to go, and we held on to a 4-point win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

:lmao:

I am guessing you did not follow the results as closely as I did on Sunday...(seeing as you never used your 11th player)

This was a crazy matchup - with wild lead changes after every match.

 

Going into the last game - we had a ~28 point lead, after overcoming a 26-point deficit heading into Spurs/United - I assumed we were home free.  As the game went on, I was texting/cursing @Bluto Blutarsky with each goal that Liverpool shipped - even hoping that Villa would simply kill off the game at halftime...

Fortunately, Trezeguet was subbed off with 4 minutes to go, and we held on to a 4-point win.

Was never in doubt imo. :coffee:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

Was never in doubt imo. :coffee:

 

 

Quote

I’d lean Naby,

:coffee:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.