What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saturday NFL games? (1 Viewer)

OldMilwaukee

IBL Representative
Per Mike Florio .....

"the NFL likely will move games from Sundays to Saturday, if college football doesn’t proceed this season".

I love it!

Maybe it would generate more revenue to help next years cap reduction?   Will owners and players be for it?  

Are you for it?

PFT link

This typically happens at the end of the season when college football regular season has wrapped up right? Like two weeks? It's pretty cool, I like it. It'll be different if it's all season that's for sure.

I was thinking this made a ton of sense. Especially since it makes no sense to have a college season, since those guys(mostly) don't get paid. 

Bad idea imo. These morons won’t be satisfied until they bury their own product by their greed.

Football on Monday’s, Thursday’s, Saturday’s and Sunday = OVERSATURATED product. 

If it’s on all the time it isn’t special. 

Bad idea imo. These morons won’t be satisfied until they bury their own product by their greed.

Football on Monday’s, Thursday’s, Saturday’s and Sunday = OVERSATURATED product. 

Completely disagree in this scenario. There’s generally football on all day Saturday as is. So they’ll be jumping into a market that already has shown it has millions of viewers watching football. And they’re replacing dozens of games with just 3. Maybe some of the college football viewers are strictly college fans but I suspect a large percentage are just sports/football fans and will gladly watch NFL in Saturday as well as Sunday.

I hate this idea.  Between Thursday night, a Saturday triple-header, Sunday night, and Monday night, you're putting too many god-awful games all by themselves on national television.  Combine that with an even-more-watered-down Sunday slate, and the NFL has spread itself too thin.

ETA: The 4:00 ET timeslot is already kind of brutal most weeks.  I shudder to think of what this will look like after you yank three more games out of the Sunday lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:

But for this season it would just be filling the college football void - not trying to establish a new ground for regular viewing. They'd be dumb not to take advantage - people don't HAVE TO watch.

I hate this idea.  Between Thursday night, a Saturday triple-header, Sunday night, and Monday night, you're putting too many god-awful games all by themselves on national television.  Combine that with an even-more-watered-down Sunday slate, and the NFL has spread itself too thin.

ETA: The 4:00 ET timeslot is already kind of brutal most weeks.  I shudder to think of what this will look like after you yank three more games out of the Sunday lineup.
You think people are more likely to watch a crappy game when there’s other games on tv or when it’s the only game on? A crappy game is just going to get buried on the more full Sunday slate as it is, at least as a stand alone game it will draw the fan bases of the teams involved and a decent chunk of fans with fantasy involvement. And if it’s a good game it would be a big ratings/exposure draw. The 2 weeks where there are only 13 games will be odd to see a 5/2 or 4/3 slate for the Sunday afternoon games. And if a Covid outbreak cancels anything...

I love it! Normally it's hard to watch with all the games going on simultaneously Sundays. Pull three to four games out of that mix and play Saturday? Perfect.

Love it. And of course they will do it if the entire Saturday window is open. Probably a triple header. Sign me up. 

If there's no h.s. football, might as well go fo NFL Friday Night Lights

Thursday Night Football always has, and always will be, a bad idea, IMO. Way too small a window. Product is never up to par, IMO. Now, if they were to have 8 4-Team Bye Weeks, and structure them so that the Teams coming off the bye played a Thursday Night double-header, I'd get behind that, but of course, it makes too much sense. 

Eliminating Thursday Night Football for this Season, and compacting things into Sat/Sun/Mon would be something I'd like to see.

Eliminating Thursday Night Football and having Sunday Night and Monday Night doubleheaders during 'normal' Seasons would be something I'd like to see, also. Both SNF and MNF should start before 8:20 pm, while they're at it.

Just my .02

how exactly does this affect you though?  doesn't it give you more of a chance to actually see games you want to see?  Even with sunday ticket, it's hard to really see everything in that much depth.

how exactly does this affect you though?  doesn't it give you more of a chance to actually see games you want to see?  Even with sunday ticket, it's hard to really see everything in that much depth.
If there are 4-5 games running at 4:00 ET, the odds of at least one of them being decent-or-better is pretty high.  When there are three or fewer games running, they're often all terrible.

If there are 4-5 games running at 4:00 ET, the odds of at least one of them being decent-or-better is pretty high.  When there are three or fewer games running, they're often all terrible.
But what is the difference when the game is on?   You can still watch the good game on Saturday and you don't risk have 2 conflicting good games at the same time.

But what is the difference when the game is on?   You can still watch the good game on Saturday and you don't risk have 2 conflicting good games at the same time.
Why are we assuming the Saturday game is any good?  The Thursday night games tend to be hot garbage, and even if the Saturday matchup looks superficially attractive, lots of games are snoozers by halftime. 

When there are 4-5 games on, I don't know which game(s) will be competitive in advance, but I feel pretty confident that one or two will be competitive going into the fourth quarter.  No such assurances -- to put it mildly -- when there's only one game on.  

If it's an awful game, then don't watch it. What's the difference if you don't watch it on Saturday, or you don't watch it because there are better options on Sunday?

If it's an awful game, then don't watch it. What's the difference if you don't watch it on Saturday, or you don't watch it because there are better options on Sunday?
If there's only one game on, and it's a stinker, I'm stuck with zero good football games to watch.

If there are several games on, and the one I happen to be watching at the moment is a stinker, I can switch over to a more compelling game.

When there are multiple games running concurrently, the probability of at least one being good is higher than when there is only game running.

Edit: Obviously there's a limit to this.  In theory, we could play every game at 1:00 ET and be virtually guaranteed at least one good game, but realistically we'd also have a bunch of good games in direct competition with each other and it would be nice to spread them out a little more.  I just think a stand-alone game on Thursday, multiple stand-alones on Saturday, a Sunday stand-alone, a Monday stand-alone, and a watered down Sunday afternoon roster is just too oversaturated.  The NFL doesn't have enough quality games in a given week to fill that many time slots.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's only one game on, and it's a stinker, I'm stuck with zero good football games to watch.

If there are several games on, and the one I happen to be watching at the moment is a stinker, I can switch over to a more compelling game.

When there are multiple games running concurrently, the probability of at least one being good is higher than when there is only game running.
I suppose that's true, but you also run the risk of not being able to see all the good games. The Sunday early slot is terrible for that. I have my main TV on the Bills game, and two other TVs and it seems like there is always about 4 games I want to have on those secondary TVs.

Edit: Obviously there's a limit to this.  In theory, we could play every game at 1:00 ET and be virtually guaranteed at least one good game, but realistically we'd also have a bunch of good games in direct competition with each other and it would be nice to spread them out a little more.  I just think a stand-alone game on Thursday, multiple stand-alones on Saturday, a Sunday stand-alone, a Monday stand-alone, and a watered down Sunday afternoon roster is just too oversaturated.  The NFL doesn't have enough quality games in a given week to fill that many time slots.
There’s no logic to any of your posts on this topic. And if you find it so difficult to find a “good game” football may not be for you.

Eliminating Thursday Night Football for this Season, and compacting things into Sat/Sun/Mon would be something I'd like to see.

Eliminating Thursday Night Football and having Sunday Night and Monday Night doubleheaders during 'normal' Seasons would be something I'd like to see, also. Both SNF and MNF should start before 8:20 pm, while they're at it.

Just my .02
Agreed, 

I'm all for Saturday and Sunday football, but then get rid of TNF which is a bad product. 

Not following your logic here. Say there are (pick a number) 4 good games on TV during a given week. If they are all in the same time slot, you're going to miss a decent chunk of those because they're competing with each other. If they are spread out to different days/time slots, you'll be able to watch a lot more of them. 

If there's only one game on and it's a stinker, turn off the TV and wait for the "good" games to come on. Having the games spread out simply gives you more opportunities to watch the good games, it doesn't force you to watch the bad ones- I'm struggling to see the downside.

Admittedly -- speaking as a Bills fan here -- I may have become overly-exposed to bad football over the years.
Haha that’s fair re the Bills. To the bigger point though, if there’s usually 4 games late Sunday, let’s say 2 are bad, one good, one great, you’d be flipping between the good and the great and you’d be watching nothing Saturday (no games). If there’s now 3 Sunday and 1 Saturday. 50% chance the Saturday game is a bad one so you turn it off. You’ve lost nothing. 50% chance it’s good or great though so you get to enjoy the whole thing. Now Sunday you’ve still got the other good/great game going along with the 2 duds so you ignore those and watch the good one. 

Okay, I am clearly in the minority on this one.  The point above about Bengals-Redskins has some validity in the current sports landscape, so I get where everyone is coming from.

I’d be all fired up to watch Cincy-Wash. Joe Burrow! The top 2 picks square off! I have AJ in a dynasty and Boyd in 2. I’d be pumped to watch my boy Gibson and scary Terry. Higgins worth a look too.

I’d be all fired up to watch Cincy-Wash. Joe Burrow! The top 2 picks square off! I have AJ in a dynasty and Boyd in 2. I’d be pumped to watch my boy Gibson and scary Terry. Higgins worth a look too.
Holy cow I would watch the #### out of Bengals-Football Team right now. Like hard. 

McLaurin, Higgins, Mixon, Burrow, the return of AJ Green, Boyd (for people who are into that kind of thing), Gibson obviously. Dare I say mutha-effing Alex Smith?

A couple months ago I was saying, and meaning it, that I would watch NBA guys shoot free throws in their driveway I'm so bored. Cincy and Wash? Sheeeeeet.

It'll be Thursday through Monday if they can. That way they can televise many games and make up $ for fans not at stadiums.

Watch all those Sunday games?   Come on...all those commercial infested games and half of them are garbage matchups that require gambling implications to pull people in.  All Saturday does is take away from the Red Zone and spreads the product thin, IMO. 

Who's kidding who, without college games even a Bengals/Redskins match-up is going to look great on Saturday.
If you’re watching the Redskins you will have to be in a different universe as that team no longer exists in this one

I would love the extra Saturday games.  My biggest concern for this season would be the added risk to not starting players in early games only to have players in later games ruled out late due to COVID.  The more variation in start times in the NFL schedule the greater chance this is going to happen.

Watch all those Sunday games?   Come on...all those commercial infested games and half of them are garbage matchups that require gambling implications to pull people in.  All Saturday does is take away from the Red Zone and spreads the product thin, IMO. 
Why are you here? All you do is talk about how terrible football is in all of your posts. Weird.

I would love the extra Saturday games.  My biggest concern for this season would be the added risk to not starting players in early games only to have players in later games ruled out late due to COVID.  The more variation in start times in the NFL schedule the greater chance this is going to happen.
This is a good point. It won’t change the NFL’s mindset but it could create more challenging fantasy lineup scenarios.

I already assumed that making sit/start decisions this year would be a nightmare. Saturday games will only make that worse but I'm definitely in favor and it does make sense. 

Does anyone know if they plan to get rid of the Thursday games?

I already assumed that making sit/start decisions this year would be a nightmare. Saturday games will only make that worse but I'm definitely in favor and it does make sense. 

Does anyone know if they plan to get rid of the Thursday games?
I guess it depends by what they mean by "Saturday games?" For example, if there are multiple afternoon games only and tv sponsors have to go from ONLY GAME IN TOWN on a Thursday night to have to pay the same for a Saturday 1:00 game, I am guessing the network would scream bloody murder. If they switched it to Saturday night as the only game in that time slot, then maybe. But the NFL being who they are, I would guess they would love to check off as many days and time slots as possible to broadcast games, so I doubt they would move the Thursday night games.

I don't understand this logic to be honest.  You can't watch too many games at the same time anyways, so why would it matter if that 5th sunday morning game was played Saturday night instead?  If you think that game is awesome, it allows you to watch it and still watch those Sunday games.  If you think that game sucks and you don't care to watch it, then just don't tune in, no loss for you.  What exactly is the downside?

Sounds like many CFB leagues may postpone until the spring... how would this affect the NFL draft?  Would have to push it back for sure.

Sounds like many CFB leagues may postpone until the spring... how would this affect the NFL draft?  Would have to push it back for sure.
Say they play March, April, May? Combine in early June. Draft in late June? Is that too tight? Does Bama roll over their cap savings into 2021 or do they still have to pay their guys for 2020? So many questions. I don’t know if my marriage can survive March Madness and college football intersecting coming off potential Saturday/Sunday NFL triple headers...put Covid on the death cert!

Say they play March, April, May? Combine in early June. Draft in late June? Is that too tight? Does Bama roll over their cap savings into 2021 or do they still have to pay their guys for 2020? So many questions. I don’t know if my marriage can survive March Madness and college football intersecting coming off potential Saturday/Sunday NFL triple headers...put Covid on the death cert!
Ya this will be interesting.  If they can pull it off in the spring though, I think it would make a lot of sense.  Don't push it, don't compete with the NFL, run it in spring.  I guess college basketball may interfere like you say.  You could do a slightly shortened season though in three months from March 1-June 1  You could literally have the draft June 1st after the national championship games.

Ya this will be interesting.  If they can pull it off in the spring though, I think it would make a lot of sense.  Don't push it, don't compete with the NFL, run it in spring.  I guess college basketball may interfere like you say.  You could do a slightly shortened season though in three months from March 1-June 1  You could literally have the draft June 1st after the national championship games.
Well you could, but presumably they’ll still want to have the combine. And guys will want to train for the combine. I wonder if the prospects who opted out of fall ball will stay out in the spring. A combine so close to season’s end could cause more guys to opt out.

Big 10 just postponed until Spring. Pac 12 meeting this afternoon may follow suit.

Looks like IF the NFL has a season we'll have Thursday,Saturday,Sunday and Monday for sure. Might as well play some on Friday with many high schools

postponing fall sports.

Can the Thursday games, move them to Saturday.  Add a 2nd game to make it a doubleheader.

Makes too much sense, so they will never do it, plus it sets the precedent that both the league and players already know but won't admit: Thursday games are a terrible idea.

The NFL so far has approached it as they don't run on CFB time and they would have the draft the same as normal. However, now that CFB is moving to spring (for now), the NFL will have more to actually mull over. It remains to be seen if anything substantial will change by spring . . . the virus has been around in the US for 5-6 months so far and we are far from being back to normal. I am hopeful things will be to a point where they could have spring CFB . . . but I am not sure a ton will change by then (MAYBE they release a vaccine by then, it gets mass distributed, and it works?).

Users who are viewing this thread