What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic Convention (1 Viewer)

The Gator

Footballguy
Dems announce convention speakers including

Aug 17: 
@MichelleObama @SenSanders @amyklobuchar @NYGovCuomo

Aug 18: 
@DrBiden @BillClinton @AOC @JohnKerry

Aug 19: 
@SpeakerPelosi @HillaryClinton @ewarren @BarackObama

Aug 20: 
@JoeBiden @CoryBooker @PeteButtigieg @KamalaHarris

It would have been nice to see Yang get a speaking part, but I am not sure who he would replace, or whether he has enough support within the DNC establishment to warrant a spot.

I don't think there are any real surprises in the speaker picks - or time slots

Dems announce convention speakers including

Aug 17: 
@MichelleObama @SenSanders @amyklobuchar @NYGovCuomo

Aug 18: 
@DrBiden @BillClinton @AOC @JohnKerry

Aug 19: 
@SpeakerPelosi @HillaryClinton @ewarren @BarackObama

Aug 20: 
@JoeBiden @CoryBooker @PeteButtigieg @KamalaHarris

It would have been nice to see Yang get a speaking part, but I am not sure who he would replace, or whether he has enough support within the DNC establishment to warrant a spot.

I don't think there are any real surprises in the speaker picks - or time slots
Replace the Clintons...one with Yang...one with whoever.

Its time to let them move aside.

August 17 - Klobuchar and Cuomo will be vastly overshadowed by Sanders and Michelle Obama.  Cuomo will be happy with any spot on the national stage, Klobuchar will not be happy - but she is not a very dynamic speaker in the best of circumstances, doing a Zoom convention will be challenging.

August 18 - kind of a mix-match of speakers.  Clinton is obviously still a big draw within the party, AOC is the voice of the young progressives, and Kerry still an old sage within the party.

August 19 - Pelosi and Warren will be afterthoughts.  Obama the big hitter here, but Hillary, I think, will still be a popular voice - though I think the enthusiasm would have been better if she were in a packed arena.

August 20 - Really strong line-up - from Biden's perspective.  Booker is a fantastic orator, and Harris has a powerful voice literally and figuratively.  I think Buttigieg is the person Biden sees as most like him for the future of the party.

Per NYT:

After the formality of a virtual delegate vote on Tuesday, Mr. Biden’s running mate will address the convention on Wednesday.

So, that is an unannounced spot for the 19th.  That will be a tough spot for anyone - with Barack Obama also getting the spot light that night.

can't fathom why Pelosi is on there.
She is arguably the most powerful democrat in office right now - and she is a woman.

It would have been awkward not to include her.  

But, I think she gets a small role here - and will not be remembered after Clinton, Obama and the VP choice all speak after her.

Worth remembering that there are really only 1-2 featured speeches a night. First night will be Michelle and Bernie, second night is Jill and Bill, third night is Obama and the VP, fourth night is Joe. Everyone else is likely to give a relatively short speech that may not even be carried by the broadcast networks.

One thing I'd love to see (and just because it's not on this list doesn't mean it won't be added later): a keynote by a party up-and-comer a la Obama in '04. I could see Stacey Abrams or someone like that giving a really strong speech and raising their profile.

(Then again, with purely virtual speeches we're not likely to see a lot of stemwinders.)

I think Buttigieg qualifies as the up-and-comer.
Could be, though I hope not. I don't have strong feelings either way about him, but I feel like the party can do better in terms of the face of its future. Also, his path to statewide office seems to be mostly blocked, so not sure how much good it would do to raise his profile.

Everyone else is likely to give a relatively short speech that may not even be carried by the broadcast networks.
This is true.  The cable channels will carry 4 hours each night, but the broadcast channels are only planning on airing the 10-11 hour.

I imagine the keynote speaker for each night will get 30-45 minutes - which will be carried live.  While the rest will get clips played by the broadcast networks in the 15 or so minutes leading up to the keynote.

Could be, though I hope not. I don't have strong feelings either way about him, but I feel like the party can do better in terms of the face of its future. Also, his path to statewide office seems to be mostly blocked, so not sure how much good it would do to raise his profile.
That is a pretty short-sighted way to look at the future of the party - as it presupposes that only people who live in "blue" states are viable candidates.

Obama has referenced Buttigieg as the future of the party a few years ago, and I think Biden sees Pete as a younger version of himself - with a unifying centrist approach.

Also worth pointing out that, while everyone is always on the lookout for the "next Obama", I can't think of a ton of other cases where a person's profile was raised, usually because it's hard for those speeches to exceed expectations the way Obama did. I remember how Julian Castro was supposed to be the Chosen One in '12; his speech was fine, he's done fine for himself since then, but nothing amazing. Only other example that's coming to mind was Ann Richards tearing George HW Bush a new one in '88 ("Poor George, he was born with a silver foot in his mouth") and then winning the governor's race two years later.

That is a pretty short-sighted way to look at the future of the party - as it presupposes that only people who live in "blue" states are viable candidates.

Obama has referenced Buttigieg as the future of the party a few years ago, and I think Biden sees Pete as a younger version of himself - with a unifying centrist approach.
Yeah, you may be right. I think I'm just a little underwhelmed by Pete. I'm not totally sold on AOC as the future of the party, but IMO she's way more likely to lead a movement than he is, and seems to genuinely represent something new. Of course, her profile is already pretty high with or without a convention speech. I guess if she really knocks her opportunity out of the park it may vault her to another level.

I feel like I cannot stand either Yang or Pete. Yang seems to be Elon Musk in the sense that he can say a bunch of meaningless jargon and people eat it up, Pete is everything Hillary Clinton was accused of about seeking power for power while backed by big lobbies and interests. What was the joke - Bernie Sanders is everything Millennials wish Boomers were, and Pete is everything Boomers wished Millennials were. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone from Florida would be nice to elevate their chances in 2022 for Governor or Senator. Nikki Fried is the only one that comes to mind. She's good at answering questions, but not sure about campaign motivational speeches. 

I think Obama and Michelle  and Bernie and AOC are key for getting out the vote.

Kasich: "Take off your partisan hat and vote on the basis of what your conscience tells you about the future of your country, not just for yourself but for your kids as well,” he said.
The former governor also dismissed concerns about being rejected by his party over his decision to support Biden at the convention. “I’m a Republican, but the Republican Party has always been my vehicle but never my master,” he said. “You have to do what you think is right in your heart and I’m comfortable here.”

I'm genuinely surprised that either Clinton will speak. What for?
Agreed. We know there are a lot of people who hate the Clintons but are there any people who like the Clintons so much that it is the only thing that will get them excited to vote for Biden?

Former presidents almost always speak (although I don't believe George W has appeared at a single convention since 2004). Past nominees also often speak.
Former nominees who lost to Donald Trump have never spoken at a single convention since 1788. Neither have their spouses.

OK then sub in Jimmy Carter for Bill Clinton.  If we’re supposed to be serious about #metoo Clinton needs to shut up.
Dude is almost 96 years old. I know if only has to be virtual, but maybe he's just not up for it?

I do kind of agree with you about Bill. I had wondered in the past if he would be PNGd for the convention. I'm guessing that if Tara Read were still a topic of conversation the Biden campaign might have come to a different conclusion.

Former presidents almost always speak (although I don't believe George W has appeared at a single convention since 2004). Past nominees also often speak.
Given Bill Clinton's #metoo problem, his presence makes it harder to take criticisms of Trump on that topic seriously.

Also, I don't think Biden's campaign should do anything to remind people that he and Hillary are part of the same team.

People hate changing their minds about stuff because they hate admitting that they were wrong.

People who voted for Trump in 2016 might think, "I was right to prefer Trump over Hillary, but I'm not going to vote for Trump over Biden." As a group, they are much less likely to think, "I was wrong to vote for Trump over Hillary." They're mostly going to stick with the idea that they were right in 2016, and Democrats should do everything possible to avoid making swing voters feel like they're answering the same question they already answered last time. Trump will be trying to run against Hillary again in 2020 and will mention her repeatedly at every campaign rally, I'm sure. Democrats shouldn't help him with that strategy.

Hillary was, in many ways, unfairly vilified. But what's done is done. Keep her out of the 2020 election.

Three words to put the lineups of the two Conventions in perspective..

"Wah-Wah-Wah"

Chachi....Chachi is a key speaker at the Republican Convention.

With Bill and Trump speaking at the two conventions, respectively, it's kind of mind bottling that women haven't started their own party.  Could we not get Cosby, Weinstein and Spacey?

I hear what you are saying about the Clintons - but, neither have a major role here.

Bill goes on Tuesday, and will be forgotten by Wednesday.

Hillary goes on Wednesday, but will be overshadowed by Obama, and then VP Harris on Wednesday night alone.

Ocram said:
With Bill and Trump speaking at the two conventions, respectively, it's kind of mind bottling that women haven't started their own party.  Could we not get Cosby, Weinstein and Spacey?
Democrats: #MeToo, #AllWomenShouldBeBelievedNoMatterWhat

Democrats: Let's get Bill and Hillary Clinton to speak and headline at the DNC.  :doh:

I hear what you are saying about the Clintons - but, neither have a major role here.

Bill goes on Tuesday, and will be forgotten by Wednesday.

Hillary goes on Wednesday, but will be overshadowed by Obama, and then VP Harris on Wednesday night alone.
Well, in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure any of their speeches matter but Biden.  So few people watch and of the ones that do I would guess that 90-95% or more have their mind made up.  These things are basically watching a pep rally for your team.

Democrats: #MeToo, #AllWomenShouldBeBelievedNoMatterWhat

Democrats: Let's get Bill and Hillary Clinton to speak and headline at the DNC.  :doh:
Which is better, paying lip service to MeToo or totally disregarding it and in some cases attacking it? 

Well, in the grand scheme of things I'm not sure any of their speeches matter but Biden.  So few people watch and of the ones that do I would guess that 90-95% or more have their mind made up.  These things are basically watching a pep rally for your team.
Obama, and then Harris will be watched by many.

But I agree with the larger point - even more so this year, with network TV just covering the last hour - and the fact that its remote.  

Biden's convention "bounce" will be this week with the Harris pick, but probably nothing from next week.

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
Looks like AOC is only getting a 60 second slot - that will be pre-recorded (many of the speeches will be pre-recorded to help reduce the technical glitches.)

Looks like AOC is only getting a 60 second slot - that will be pre-recorded (many of the speeches will be pre-recorded to help reduce the technical glitches.)
Just when they start to pull me back on board they remind me that it really is time to leave

Users who are viewing this thread