What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garbage Pail Kids cards...have any laying around? (1 Viewer)

It is crazy but getting these in gem mint condition is like hitting the lottery.

Worth a look for people though and probably can sell whatever is laying around for more money than you had in your pocket yesterday 

I got Nasty Nick and Evil Eddie when I was like 10 for Christmas. I think they are in good shape but they are in a tote somewhere in my basement. Where would I send to get graded?

Loved collecting these as a kid. I recognize all those cards and certainly owned them but no clue where I have them stored. Time to start digging around. 

The bottom line with any card prices...….you still have to find a guy willing to pay the price that they are listing.  My guess is that will be hard to do.  You may get something nice but I doubt the top price listed. 

I had a cigar box with a bunch when I bought series 1 to about 3 or 4?.  Unfortunately they were at my old house and the place went up in flames and was a total loss a few years ago.  Guess I should have listed these on the insurance claim! 

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line with any card prices...….you still have to find a guy willing to pay the price that they are listing.  My guess is that will be hard to do.  You may get something nice but I doubt the top price listed. 
If its graded a 10 it will sell with hours or days on ebay.

I wouldn't knock myself out looking for these. The odds you are going to have a PSA 10 lying around in a box is lottery winning type odds (especially considering the Nick card). There are multiple PSA 9s on Ebay at under  $1,800 without any bids on them. 

I had a bunch of the stickers on my bedroom door.  Next to my star wars poster and Kiss posters.  Can someone hurry up inventing that one machine?  I want to go back.

I wouldn't knock myself out looking for these. The odds you are going to have a PSA 10 lying around in a box is lottery winning type odds (especially considering the Nick card). There are multiple PSA 9s on Ebay at under  $1,800 without any bids on them. 
true, and back then people, especially kids, didn't think near as much about condition.  With Garbage Pail Kids only being collected by kids a PSA 10 Garbage Pail Kid is a lottery type thing indeed.

I bet a lot of people have unopened packs.  I used to buy packs of all kinds of cards and not open them as an "investment".
That is a pretty rare for things back then, I don't think the collector mentality was as strong. I do have some 1988ish unopened case of basketball cards somewhere, though I have not seen it in 25 years. 

Wife dug up her old cards last night after I saw this thread.  No series 1, but a decent amount of series 2 and a lot of series 3.  They seem in good shape to me (other than the Reagan one that has a pushpin hole in the top).  Not sure what to do with them.  Seems like the only way you get decent money for them is to get them PSA graded, but that seems pretty expensive and you won't know until you get it done if you actually have cards in good enough shape for it to be worth it.   :shrug:

Wife dug up her old cards last night after I saw this thread.  No series 1, but a decent amount of series 2 and a lot of series 3.  They seem in good shape to me (other than the Reagan one that has a pushpin hole in the top).  Not sure what to do with them.  Seems like the only way you get decent money for them is to get them PSA graded, but that seems pretty expensive and you won't know until you get it done if you actually have cards in good enough shape for it to be worth it.   :shrug:
Check out which ones have been most popular / highest priced on ebay.  Then see if you have any of those and if any in good enough condition to be graded.  If not, just sell as one big lot or multiple smaller lots with good pictures.

It is really tough getting a good grade on an older product that may not have been taken care of properly. I have seen brand new football cards from the current year pulled from a wax pack and even though it looks perfect (sharp corners. good centering, awesome coloring)--after grading--it comes back an 8.5. I just don't mess with grading. I guess this is why I am a collector and not a seller, which is much to my wife's displeasure.  

My rule would be....

If a 9 could sell for at least 100 bucks then it is worth taking a chance to get it graded.

Now to see if it's in good enough condition to get at least a 9?

Look it over and if you suspect any...ANY slight defect....don't bother.

If after you have looked all over and can't find any issue in any way...go for it. Will probably cost 30-40 bucks and take 2-4 months.

Most likely you get an 8 and break even after you sell it or lose a couple bucks.

Get a 9 and you can have fun and make a few bucks

Get a 10, you have a nice amount of pocket change for weekend getaway or a down payment on a new car.

That is a pretty rare for things back then, I don't think the collector mentality was as strong. I do have some 1988ish unopened case of basketball cards somewhere, though I have not seen it in 25 years. 
I dug through my collection and found a whole bunch of unopened packs of various stuff.  Baseball, hockey, football, movie stuff, garbage pail kids, etc.  Then I went on ebay.  It seems a lot of people started saving them in the mid-80's when the hobby started taking off.  Stuff isn't worth that much.

I dug through my collection and found a whole bunch of unopened packs of various stuff.  Baseball, hockey, football, movie stuff, garbage pail kids, etc.  Then I went on ebay.  It seems a lot of people started saving them in the mid-80's when the hobby started taking off.  Stuff isn't worth that much.
live opening seems like the play here

Exactly!!  I have a big closet downstairs that has probably over 100 unopened wax boxes from the 80s-90s from all sports and some non-sports. You just hope that some card all of a sudden becomes desirable and people start collecting that product.  An example would be the 90-91 Hoops Mark Jackson card.

Users who are viewing this thread