What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Polling Thread (2 Viewers)

Pushes Biden back up to 86% in Pa
PA looks good but I hope that it doesn’t come down to that. I heard that a likely scenario is that Trump could be up double digits in PA on election night because of how they count absentee ballots and that lead could switch to a Biden win days later. That is a nightmare situation not only due to of the optics of it but also because it increases the chances of shenanigans.

Tonight we’re getting the final Des Moines Register poll of Iowa — Senate results at 7 ET, Presidential results at 7:30. There should also be a final national poll from ABC/WaPo at midnight, and at 5 AM, NYT/Siena is releasing its final polls of the cycle: Arizona, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. It’s like the finale of a fireworks show.

Most of the attention has been towards 538's election model, but I have also been following the Economists's model as well, which is even more bullish on a Biden win, with a 96% chance. The wunderkind who is behind the model tweeted this morning: “Donald Trump needs a well-above-average polling error to win the election” — roughly 2-3x the size of the 2016 miss.

PA looks good but I hope that it doesn’t come down to that. I heard that a likely scenario is that Trump could be up double digits in PA on election night because of how they count absentee ballots and that lead could switch to a Biden win days later. That is a nightmare situation not only due to of the optics of it but also because it increases the chances of shenanigans.
79% of D and 66% of R ballots have been returned in PA. And, anecdotally, there was a steady stream of people coming by with ballots when I went by the local dropoff this morning.
Recognizing there is no guarantee Ds vote D and Rs vote R, it does start to look like  that the bulk of D ballots will be in by election day and maybe complicates the decision for GOP to fight counting the post-Nov 3 ballots, when more of those could be R than D.

I honestly don’t trust any pre-voting info. Lots of Trump supporters in rust belt are old Ds that have switched to Trump.

79% of D and 66% of R ballots have been returned in PA. And, anecdotally, there was a steady stream of people coming by with ballots when I went by the local dropoff this morning.
Recognizing there is no guarantee Ds vote D and Rs vote R, it does start to look like  that the bulk of D ballots will be in by election day and maybe complicates the decision for GOP to fight counting the post-Nov 3 ballots, when more of those could be R than D.
And the counties that said they couldn’t start counting the mail-in votes until Wednesday went for Trump in 2016.

I don't understand how the polling companies can account for Trump supporters either refusing to answer their questions, or lying.  Trump voters seem to love proving the polls wrong.  I think they've taken great pleasure in declaring the polling to be biased or wrong over the past 4 years and I have no doubt there's a large contingent of Trump voters who would love to experience that again.  There also seems to be a contingent of Trump voters who are skeptical of giving any personal information to a stranger over the phone.  I know its anonymous, but why would they trust that in a phone call with a stranger who is asking them questions like these?  I think this is a unique situation and don't know how people like Nate Silver are controlling for it.

In the most recent Wisconsin poll conducted by Marquette Law School, the results for "likely voters" were:

Biden 48

Trump 43

JJorgesen 2

None/other 1

Don't Know 0

Refused 6

My guess is the great majority of people who "refused" to answer are voting Trump.  Maybe its just my paranoia, but it seems like a high number of "refused" responses.

I don't understand how the polling companies can account for Trump supporters either refusing to answer their questions, or lying.  Trump voters seem to love proving the polls wrong.  I think they've taken great pleasure in declaring the polling to be biased or wrong over the past 4 years and I have no doubt there's a large contingent of Trump voters who would love to experience that again.  There also seems to be a contingent of Trump voters who are skeptical of giving any personal information to a stranger over the phone.  I know its anonymous, but why would they trust that in a phone call with a stranger who is asking them questions like these?  I think this is a unique situation and don't know how people like Nate Silver are controlling for it.

In the most recent Wisconsin poll conducted by Marquette Law School, the results for "likely voters" were:

Biden 48

Trump 43

JJorgesen 2

None/other 1

Don't Know 0

Refused 6

My guess is the great majority of people who "refused" to answer are voting Trump.  Maybe its just my paranoia, but it seems like a high number of "refused" responses.
Most people are not insane online conspiracy theorists. Twitter is not real life. 

Biden 48

Trump 43

JJorgesen 2

None/other 1

Don't Know 0

Refused 6

Here’s what the MULaw poll director said about this — the “refused” folks appear to be pretty evenly distributed: https://twitter.com/PollsAndVotes/status/1321871747134693382?s=20

In my @MULawPoll yesterday 7% were "undecided or declined to answer". Most of those were early voters declining to answer. But "allocate" them by fav/unfav to Biden or Trump and they split equally, bring us to 50% Biden 45% Trump 2% Jorgensen & 2 still unknown.

Biden 48

Trump 43

JJorgesen 2

None/other 1

Don't Know 0

Refused 6

This is purely anecdotal so take it for what it’s worth...

When we set up phone banking or canvasses, we know what party (if any) people are registered with (there’s some states where this isn’t public but most states it is) and we can see their voting history. Not who they voted for, obviously, but the fact that they did. We can also see if they voted in a primary and for which party. There’s a ton of other data there, too, which tries to take a stab at the likelihood someone might be supportive, persuadable, etc.

Even if we’re calling someone who has voted in every Dem primary since forever, even if their “Dem score” is super high - sometimes people would just rather not say who they voted or will vote for. This is actually pretty common - could be for any number of reasons like the sanctity of the secret ballot or whatever but it happens a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 13% Republican deficit is likely due to people who plan to vote in person, not by mail. The late-arriving mail ballots will almost certainly be skewed towards Biden. 

The 13% Republican deficit is likely due to people who plan to vote in person, not by mail. The late-arriving mail ballots will almost certainly be skewed towards Biden. 
We're already at about 65% of the total number of people who voted in 2016 in the U.S. Is there some data out there that would lead us to think Republicans favor in person voting during a pandemic more so than Democrats at a 13% rate?

We're already at about 65% of the total number of people who voted in 2016 in the U.S. Is there some data out there that would lead us to think Republicans favor in person voting during a pandemic more so than Democrats at a 13% rate?
NBC poll from late August.

54% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats plan to vote in person on Election Day.

CNN/SSRS (B/C):

MICHIGAN
Biden 53%
Trump 41%

ARIZONA
Biden 50%
Trump 46%

WISCONSIN
Biden 52%
Trump 44%

NORTH CAROLINA
Biden 51%
Trump 45%

CNN/SSRS (B/C):

MICHIGAN
Biden 53%
Trump 41%

ARIZONA
Biden 50%
Trump 46%

WISCONSIN
Biden 52%
Trump 44%

NORTH CAROLINA
Biden 51%
Trump 45%
Taking those four, that's basically a victory for Biden, right?  Even with MI, AZ, and WI, Biden's at 270, I believe.

Trump would need to take NC, Georgia, Florida, Iowa, Ohio, and Pennsylvania ...and even then come up just short.  I just don't see it.

NBC poll from late August.

54% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats plan to vote in person on Election Day.
I think I've seen this kind of expected split a few times, and I'm not sure what to make of the actual split being much closer.
It was a nationwide poll, so there's going to be quite a bit of variance depending on different state voting rules, not to mention the severity of COVID in a respondent's district. In Pennsylvania, ballots are not mailed automatically (you have to request one), so that probably reduces the spread a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair question.  538 weights polls based on “reliability” anyway, so it almost doesn’t matter what they do and don’t include.
I was just trying to find a place to see how that poll had changed over time. From what I can gather, it seems Biden has gained a point in that poll since September.

Taking those four, that's basically a victory for Biden, right?  Even with MI, AZ, and WI, Biden's at 270, I believe.

Trump would need to take NC, Georgia, Florida, Iowa, Ohio, and Pennsylvania ...and even then come up just short.  I just don't see it.
If Biden wins WI, MI, MN, NV, he can win with:

Any ONE of the following: PA, NC, GA, FL, TX, or OH.

- OR -

AZ and any ONE of the following: IA, NE2, or ME2.

The 79% vs 66% is return rate of requested ballots. It's certainly possible that more Rs than Ds decided to vote in person after their request. But there were three million ballots requested out of nine million registered voters. I would guess that more of the party disparity regarding interest in in-person voting is reflected there : 
---------    >      Ballots requested by Ds =  1,946,462; Ballots requested by Rs = 787,519

I was just trying to find a place to see how that poll had changed over time. From what I can gather, it seems Biden has gained a point in that poll since September.
Nate Silver has explained that part of Trump’s odds of winning were based on......having more time until the election.....during which “something could happen” that would swing the odds.  (Eg Comey 4 years ago).  Every day that passes without something happening.....the odds shift slightly more in Biden’s favor, because Trump is running out of time for a bombshell to come out of nowhere.

Nate Silver has explained that part of Trump’s odds of winning were based on......having more time until the election.....during which “something could happen” that would swing the odds.  (Eg Comey 4 years ago).  Every day that passes without something happening.....the odds shift slightly more in Biden’s favor, because Trump is running out of time for a bombshell to come out of nowhere.
I meant how the CNN/SSRS poll had changed over time, not 538's probability.

yes, though in my completely amateur review of the polls, I am not sure that I totally trust AZ.  Not to mention the fact that AZ is just generally a weird place.  I know that the early voting is skewed toward democrats, but I am not considering that safe for Biden yet.

I think that MI and WI are pretty safe considering that Biden has been consistent polling around an 8 point margin for months and I don't think that the shy trump vote can account for that much.  My hunch is that anything over about 6% should be relatively solid if it has been consistent.

Contrast that to PA which is now under that figure for Biden and has been dropping, and I feel like it is more of a toss-up.

Obviously these are just as-of-this-moment hunches based on looking at the polls so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread