What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lovecraft Country on HBO (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
Anyone watch this? I really enjoyed the premier and was surprised with the direction it took. I am in for episode 2.

I read the book a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed. Just saw the first episode and it was just as much of a thrill. I will be recommending this to everyone.

Haven't read the books, etc but it reminded me of a lesser version of Watchmen.  Hope the writing/acting holds up.  Still in but not overly impressed.  

Fair amount of intensity and conflict. Some predictability, but still looking forward to seeing ep 2.

On my list. Wondering if I should read the book first or after.
I wasn’t even aware there was a book. I enjoyed it and my daughter walked in right around the sundown town part and was hooked through to the end and mad there wasn’t another episode yet, so at least this Sunday will be appointment viewing. 

Halfway through the 2nd episode I was thinking- cool,it's like Get Out with a religious twist. Then the last half completed what I thought would take a few more episodes to wrap up. Still in even though I'm even more confused on wtf is going on.

I have listened to the first two podcast that HBO promoted. I do not think I will like this podcast unless they give more info and insight. 

Halfway through the 2nd episode I was thinking- cool,it's like Get Out with a religious twist. Then the last half completed what I thought would take a few more episodes to wrap up. Still in even though I'm even more confused on wtf is going on.
Just watched tonight. WTF happened and why was it done in 1 episode? I assume the girl is still alive, but what seemed like an entire season arc ended in 5 minutes. So little explanation it's ridiculous. I'll keep watching but if the lodge is just done, that's not a good sign.

I was reading an article yesterday that says the author originally had written this story to be similar to X files. Instead of FBI agents investigating paranormal stuff it would be a black family in the 50s. The idea was to have fictional horror with the backdrop of the real horror of racism. It was going to be a new story every week just like x files. This idea was shot down by the tv people and that is when he turned it into the book that was released.

I have not read the book so I am unable to tell you if it was just one tale or a few strung together?

I was reading an article yesterday that says the author originally had written this story to be similar to X files. Instead of FBI agents investigating paranormal stuff it would be a black family in the 50s. The idea was to have fictional horror with the backdrop of the real horror of racism. It was going to be a new story every week just like x files. This idea was shot down by the tv people and that is when he turned it into the book that was released.

I have not read the book so I am unable to tell you if it was just one tale or a few strung together?
I read the book and loved it. It was kinda like a few different episodes of X Files, with an overarching narrative tying it all together. I don't want to say too much for fear of giving anything away about how the TV show might handle things. I will say that the point of view changed from section to section in the book and, IMO, each could almost be read as stand-alones (though, not knowing what came before could lose some folks).

As I stated above it is a collection of stories. They are all inter-Connected. We aren’t finished with the Sons of Adam yet.

I enjoyed episode three. I am starting to see what they are doing and I am liking it. Loved the effects with the seance at the end. Really creepy stuff in this episode.

Episode four was released early. I really liked this episode, some adventure fun. It was nice to have something a little lighter this week, just a fun ride.

What a strange twist this week, pretty slow and not sure we needed a whole episode on this backstory.

What a strange twist this week, pretty slow and not sure we needed a whole episode on this backstory.
I’m still not fully into it. Still watching but I’m not sure where they are going. The whole thing with his dad is just beyond odd. The reason he killed that lady seemed forced and while I don’t care whether his dad is gay, I’m not a big fan of them trying to make viewers uncomfortable with the spitting and the party. I’m not a fan of gratuitous anything that’s meant to make a statement for the show runners but has no bearing on the story/show. All the racism makes you uncomfortable as well but that’s what it was like  back then. When they discovered that the black owned business had burned down, that scene was fantastic. I just didn’t like the dad stuff. Seems like they are using his character to do stuff that wouldn’t otherwise fit or make sense if the others did it. Give me backstory of what he did with that group or his son.

That was some really creepy stuff tonight. It has been a while since I got the creeps like this. I'm a little worried that those uncle tom girls will make an appearance in my nightmares.

This show was starting to lose me a little but tonight's episode pulled me back in.

That was some really creepy stuff tonight. It has been a while since I got the creeps like this. I'm a little worried that those uncle tom girls will make an appearance in my nightmares.

This show was starting to lose me a little but tonight's episode pulled me back in.
Yeah that was next level.

Yeah, nothing gives me the creeps more than little kids with that malevolent, otherworldly vibe. Particularly, little girls: The Exorcist, the twins from The Shining. :shudder:

I do really dig this show. I don't know how much Jordan Peele has his hand on it, but I'm more and more impressed with his stuff. 

I don't know how much Jordan Peele has his hand on it, but I'm more and more impressed with his stuff. 
It's pretty obvious he has some influence on the show and isn't just putting his name on it. 

Wife loves it, even though she's not a horror fan.  I think it's pretty good.  I don't love the gore though...

This show is really starting to hit on all cylinders for me. Some pretty big emotions tonight. Racism/bigotry is bad.

I need to rewatch the finale. I'm not sure I got it.

While I do not find the story very compelling I would watch a second season. For me this is one of those shows that as a whole was meh but had some really creepy stuff that made it worth watching. Just the pik a ninny girls was worth watching the season in my opinion. 

I need to rewatch the finale. I'm not sure I got it.

While I do not find the story very compelling I would watch a second season. For me this is one of those shows that as a whole was meh but had some really creepy stuff that made it worth watching. Just the pik a ninny girls was worth watching the season in my opinion. 
That’s worth watching a clip, not the whole season. I liked how they worked in the era, like the burned down restaurant leading to the car chase and meeting D and the cops at sun down (best parts of the show IMHO), but at the end white vs black became the the entire story, so you had no real story or ending. I don’t think there was a single redeemable white person in the show, which might have been OK if that wasn’t the entire story at the end. Somehow it’s redeeming for a little girl to use her Terminator arm to rip apart someone’s throat instead of her pet monster eating the lady? The ending just put a disjointed cap on the season and kind of ruined it for me and I was already hanging by a thread and not understanding the point if so many of the story lines.

Like others, I liked a lot of the parts but it didn’t come together as a whole for me. I’m out for season 2. Just too all over the place for me. The side stories had side stories. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread