What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Americans Dramatically Misunderstand Risk of Dying from Covid" ...You Don't Say (3 Viewers)

TripItUp said:
What a terrible thing to do.  
Our study results show that those who overstate deaths among young people are more cautious about making purchases, more reluctant to travel, and favor keeping businesses and schools shut.
From the report.

- Trip this is what I remember. Before Trump got spooked by the market into acting. Before my state and other states started shutting down. People were already staying home. This happened not because of media or government action but because people were taking care of themselves. In my town, everyone has stayed home, conservatives, liberals, people who don't give a damn or read the news. It's just one of Trump's failures but one of the major ones is doing nothing to not only ensure people's safety but to actually make them aware they are safe or will be safe (because they know he hasn't done the first thing). That's why the schools and the businesses and whatever else you want to apply policy to doesn't matter, what matters is beating this disease. 

August 14th:

New covid-19 deaths, in a day: 

France: 18

Australia: 14

Spain: 12

UK: 11

Japan: 10

Germany: 8

Canada: 5

USA: 1,120

- People are by and large not idiots when it comes to their own immediate health, they will take care of themselves and their own. Fix that stat and you'll fix your "overperception problem."

Last edited by a moderator:
supermike80 said:
You sound like Sho. Yes. I know not EVERYONE was admitted.   *sigh *
Sorry, your post made it sound like doctors were admitting covid patients willy-nilly, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Nobody wanted to unnecessarily burn through PPE or increase exposure to hospital personnel. But we didn’t have enough experience to know who was most likely to crash and burn (it’s still hard to predict in younger patients), plus many people lack housing/resources amenable to self quarantine.

But to answer your question, no, I don’t think there’s anything substantive to support the idea that botched medical care increased hospitalizations for mild covid. You could argue some people died because they were intubated too early, but initial standards of care were based on treatment for pneumonia/ARDS caused by more familiar pathogens.

Sorry, your post made it sound like doctors were admitting covid patients willy-nilly, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Nobody wanted to unnecessarily burn through PPE or increase exposure to hospital personnel. But we didn’t have enough experience to know who was most likely to crash and burn (it’s still hard to predict in younger patients), plus many people lack housing/resources amenable to self quarantine.

But to answer your question, no, I don’t think there’s anything substantive to support the idea that botched medical care increased hospitalizations for mild covid. You could argue some people died because they were intubated too early, but initial standards of care were based on treatment for pneumonia/ARDS caused by more familiar pathogens.
Well...I don't think it's further from the truth. You might disagree, which is fine.  But as I said.  In Michigan, Covid diagnosis meant immediate hospitalization.  Now, it doesn't.

Well...I don't think it's further from the truth. You might disagree, which is fine.  But as I said.  In Michigan, Covid diagnosis meant immediate hospitalization.  Now, it doesn't.
Were you directly involved in making decisions about hospitalization? 

supermike80 said:
I agree.  Thats why I said I don't think it was deliberate.  No one really knew.  So uf you could maybe focus on the question that might help
You used the word “botched” and my answer is that’s the wrong way to look at it. It smacks of trying to blame medical professionals for not being perfect in a situation with no precedent in their training and your snark just now reinforces it.

I have a number of friends who worked on the front lines of this in NYC (both doctors and nurses) and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you know a small portion of what they went through back in April, you’d be embarrassed in your assertions that they somehow blundered their way through this.

No....it wasn't "botched".  Knowing what we know now, could some different approaches have been taken?  Probably.  That's a far cry from "botched".

And just ANOTHER reminder to all....just because something is happening locally doesn't mean it is happening everywhere.

No....it wasn't "botched".  Knowing what we know now, could some different approaches have been taken?  Probably.  That's a far cry from "botched".

And just ANOTHER reminder to all....just because something is happening locally doesn't mean it is happening everywhere.
So you are saying no you don't agree with my question?

You used the word “botched” and my answer is that’s the wrong way to look at it. It smacks of trying to blame medical professionals for not being perfect in a situation with no precedent in their training and your snark just now reinforces it.

I have a number of friends who worked on the front lines of this in NYC (both doctors and nurses) and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you know a small portion of what they went through back in April, you’d be embarrassed in your assertions that they somehow blundered their way through this.
I LITERALLY said, right after that that I didn't feel it was deliberate.  Man what does one have to do here.  There were no assertions.  Why are you guys on this board so angry all the time?  What gives?

LOL no.  Is that necessary to read news stories or listen to people you know in the industry?  Too funny.  
I’d say people making decisions about hospitalization would know the most about how readily those infected with covid were/are hospitalized. And I’m sure the threshold is slightly different now than earlier in the pandemic. But nowhere were people simply diagnosed and *bam* hospitalized. Moreover, the idea that erring on the side of caution resulted in “botched” medical care is pretty inflammatory to anyone who’s taken care of covid-19 patients, myself included.

I’d say people making decisions about hospitalization would know the most about how readily those infected with covid were/are hospitalized. And I’m sure the threshold is slightly different now than earlier in the pandemic. But nowhere were people simply diagnosed and *bam* hospitalized. Moreover, the idea that erring on the side of caution resulted in “botched” medical care is pretty inflammatory to anyone who’s taken care of covid-19 patients, myself included.
You're impossibly defensive.  Relax.  I am 100% certain that the medical community did everything in their power to care for covid patients  I am simply asking why are deaths so much lower in Michigan for instance now Vs. then?.  What is the reasoning? Did the medical community not handle it correctly?  it's not their fault if that's the case, everyone blew the play here.  

You're impossibly defensive.  Relax.  I am 100% certain that the medical community did everything in their power to care for covid patients  I am simply asking why are deaths so much lower in Michigan for instance now Vs. then?.  What is the reasoning? Did the medical community not handle it correctly?  it's not their fault if that's the case, everyone blew the play here.  
We understand the virus better now and that's a good thing AND people are getting tested MUCH earlier now than they were then....not complicated :shrug:  

We understand the virus better now and that's a good thing AND people are getting tested MUCH earlier now than they were then....not complicated :shrug:  
I dont understand what that means  "We understand the virus better" does that mean that yes in fact the medical community contributed to the death count?  

Also really not sure what earlier testing has to do with anything..There is no cure, no treatment, no vaccination. Why does earlier testing help?

I dont understand what that means  "We understand the virus better" does that mean that yes in fact the medical community contributed to the death count?  

Also really not sure what earlier testing has to do with anything..There is no cure, no treatment, no vaccination. Why does earlier testing help?
Yes, by not instantly knowing how to cure a brand-new virus, the medical community contributed to the death count.

You're trying way too hard my man.

Yes, by not instantly knowing how to cure a brand-new virus, the medical community contributed to the death count.

You're trying way too hard my man.
Im asking..Seriously.  for the last time..really, LAST TIME. I am not blaming the medical community....I'm JUST asking if anyone here things that the reason the death counts are improving, at least here in Michigan, is because the medical community has improved their care standards over when the pandemic started.  My god..I swear you guys on this board are a lot of effort.

Im asking..Seriously.  for the last time..really, LAST TIME. I am not blaming the medical community....I'm JUST asking if anyone here things that the reason the death counts are improving, at least here in Michigan, is because the medical community has improved their care standards over when the pandemic started.  My god..I swear you guys on this board are a lot of effort.
Treatments of the disease improved, such as using remdesivir. Not standards.

We have learned that catching it earlier is better in terms of treatment than catching it later.  It's not as difficult to fight at the beginning as it is when it's through your entire body and attacking your lungs and heart. I don't know what you mean when you say "there is no treatment"...that's obviously false.  

I don't know if your first question is rhetorical or not, but it's rather clear without our medical community intervening, we'd have a SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER death count.  Remember that number of "millions of people" like to throw out there in support of Trump?  That was an estimate based on if we did nothing at all.  We are at approx. 10% of that because the medical community dove in and started doing what they do best.

TripItUp said:
LINK HERE

I think it's clear that the liberal media and the Democratic party had an agenda in creating a fear for political gain.   What a terrible thing to do.  

:rant:
I'd like to ask the OP: @TripItUp

If Americans were "overestimating" the severity of COVID, how come we have less than 5% of the world's population and 25% of the deaths?

If we were overestimating the severity, wouldn't we have less deaths?

How do you square that?

We have learned that catching it earlier is better in terms of treatment than catching it later.  It's not as difficult to fight at the beginning as it is when it's through your entire body and attacking your lungs and heart. I don't know what you mean when you say "there is no treatment"...that's obviously false.  

I don't know if your first question is rhetorical or not, but it's rather clear without our medical community intervening, we'd have a SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER death count.  Remember that number of "millions of people" like to throw out there in support of Trump?  That was an estimate based on if we did nothing at all.  We are at approx. 10% of that because the medical community dove in and started doing what they do best.
There's a treatment for Covid???????  Then why am I wearing a mask???? Why are business STILL closed???   Why are people still dying?  Arghhh..I had NO IDEA there was a treatment for Covid.    

Except this is  the firs time you presented ot this way vs the way you started using things like “botched”. 
Yes, their care improved as they learn more about how the virus works and what treatments work best.  That is how it nearly always works.  Just as treatments for things like Breast Cancer has improved.

Except this is  the firs time you presented ot this way vs the way you started using things like “botched”. 
Yes, their care improved as they learn more about how the virus works and what treatments work best.  That is how it nearly always works.  Just as treatments for things like Breast Cancer has improved.
:hijacked:    Well that was fun.  Thanks all.  

There's a treatment for Covid???????  Then why am I wearing a mask???? Why are business STILL closed???   Why are people still dying?  Arghhh..I had NO IDEA there was a treatment for Covid.    
A treatment is different than a cure.

Hope that helps!

A treatment is different than a cure.

Hope that helps!
THERE IS A TREATMENT for Covid??????  Why cant we all get the treatment then?  WHY WHY WHY????   Why are people being bankrupted?   I need answers!!!!

Why are we allowing thousands to continue to die everyday if there is a treatment?    

THERE IS A TREATMENT for Covid??????  Why cant we all get the treatment then?  WHY WHY WHY????   Why are people being bankrupted?   I need answers!!!!
I feel like a few simple google searches would help you feel a lot less lost in these discussions.

Why are we allowing thousands to continue to die everyday if there is a treatment?    
Yes. There are treatments for people who get COVID.

You guys aggravate me sometimes.  You cant look past how ridiculous you look and sound when you say there are treatments for covid but we still have businesses shut down, we don't have sports..sending kids to school is a gigantic debate.   I just don't understand you.

Most people who become ill with COVID-19 will be able to recover at home. No specific treatments for COVID-19 exist right now. But some of the same things you do to feel better if you have the flu — getting enough rest, staying well hydrated, and taking medications to relieve fever and aches and pains — also help with COVID-19.

In the meantime, scientists are working hard to develop effective treatments. Therapies that are under investigation include drugs that have been used to treat malaria and autoimmune diseases; antiviral drugs that were developed for other viruses, and antibodies from people who have recovered from COVID-19.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-covid-19

I'd like to ask the OP: @TripItUp

If Americans were "overestimating" the severity of COVID, how come we have less than 5% of the world's population and 25% of the deaths?

If we were overestimating the severity, wouldn't we have less deaths?

How do you square that?
Those numbers are not accurate because most countries, particularly the large ones, are not accurately capturing the data.

Our numbers would be similar to the other large countries with similar densities...maybe slightly higher due to social variables.

yikes...really?  Sadly, I can't tell if this is serious or if we need to have a lesson on what the word "treatment" means in this context.

You guys aggravate me sometimes.  You cant look past how ridiculous you look and sound when you say there are treatments for covid but we still have businesses shut down, we don't have sports..sending kids to school is a gigantic debate.   I just don't understand you.
Again, a little background reading on the subject before discussing it in a thread like this would go a long way. It's hard to just jump in on a topic if you're not familiar with the terms, etc.

Once again, a treatment is not a cure.

Again, a little background reading on the subject before discussing it in a thread like this would go a long way. It's hard to just jump in on a topic if you're not familiar with the terms, etc.

Once again, a treatment is not a cure.
THERE'S A TREATMENT FOR COVID?? Why are we keeping businesses closed? Why can't kids go to school.  WHY??????  If we have a treatment, we should be cool with letting people live their lives  WHYYYYYYYYY????

I think he's serious.  He just reflectively attacks without thinking things through. 
Just posted a link sayin there is NO TREATMENT for Covid.  None of you have been able to answer the question.  If there is a treatment, why are we not letting things go bakc to normal.  Please...smart guys...tell me why

THERE'S A TREATMENT FOR COVID?? Why are we keeping businesses closed? Why can't kids go to school.  WHY??????  If we have a treatment, we should be cool with letting people live their lives  WHYYYYYYYYY????
Because, for the 3rd time now, a treatment is not a cure.

Anything else we can help you out with?

Most people who become ill with COVID-19 will be able to recover at home. No specific treatments for COVID-19 exist right now. But some of the same things you do to feel better if you have the flu — getting enough rest, staying well hydrated, and taking medications to relieve fever and aches and pains — also help with COVID-19.

In the meantime, scientists are working hard to develop effective treatments. Therapies that are under investigation include drugs that have been used to treat malaria and autoimmune diseases; antiviral drugs that were developed for other viruses, and antibodies from people who have recovered from COVID-19.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/treatments-for-covid-19
ah...I see, it's the lesson in what "treatment" means in this context....sorry, don't have the energy and I'm not confident it would matter to you what info I gave you in the first place.  I'll just leave it at this.  There are drug cocktails and therapeutics being tested with some success.  Those range from helping to keep the virus from spreading to vital organs to "comfort" kinds of practices that are all considered "treatments" for the virus.  We've learned that some approaches don't work and have altered those approaches accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread