What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite post-Beatles Beatles songs: 291-1. (1 Viewer)

You're just gonna let that sit there? 😮
The woman despises people who "handle" other people, even when it's as often thoughtful as manipulative. Can't say i blame her. Tho she was behind Jeff inviting me to live gratis in their carriage house when i was on the outs - since her husband was crushed by depression when he lost his parents and they turned out not to be as rich as they pretended, and i was the only one tricky enough to shake him out of it - Jan was soon reminded that the idea of me is always better than the actuality. Hilariously, one of her sons loves me as much as Jeff does and the other hates me as much as she. Fortunately for all of us, my own parents' health probs called me away before the fracturing point was reached. She still occasionally has to call me for tips how to get her man out of his blue funks, and i glory in being soooo generous & right that it makes her spew. What can i say? I'm a giver...

ETA: and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by a moderator:
213.  Wings – London Town (London Town, 1978)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #98)

The title track for London Town was released as the third single from the album and reached #39 in the US.  It was recorded before English and McCulloch left the band, so includes the full Wings complement at the time. 

The song describes everyday people in London going about their daily lives, in what sounds like a blend of realism and romanticism.  I’m a fan of the lyrics here in combining the concrete, “dirty” side of the city with the idealized portrait of a city Paul seems simultaneously to love but feel confused and isolated by, with a palpable sense of loneliness coming through in these lyrics:

Walking down the sidewalk on a purple afternoon
I was accosted by a barker playing a simple tune
Upon his flute, toot, toot, toot, toot
Silver rain was falling down
Upon the dirty ground of London Town

People pass me by on my imaginary street
Ordinary people, it's impossible to meet
Holding conversations that are always incomplete
Well, I don't know

Oh, where are there places to go
Someone somewhere has to know
I don't know

Out of work again, the actor entertains his wife
With the same old stories of his ordinary life
Maybe he exaggerates the trouble and the strife
Well, I don't know

Oh, where are there places to go

Crawling down the pavement on a Sunday afternoon
I was arrested by a rozzer wearing a pink balloon
About his foot, toot, toot, toot, toot

&

In addition to giving me a firm sense of place, making me like I am right there with him, the lyrics also contain some clever rhyme schemes and alliteration, and once again a fabulous use of color to accentuate the imagery.  Apparently I love songs where Paul admits that he doesn't know.  Is this foreshadowing?  You bet!!  I also want to give a minor shout-out to Paul for using the word “flute” and NOT then adding a flute sound for emphasis.

To me, this song is very Beatle-y, and in fact I think of it in a sense as an updated, more conflicted version of "Penny Lane."  The harmonies by Laine and Linda are perfectly beautiful.  The key changes between the verses (first and last in one key while the rest of the song is in another) are probably meant to signal something about loneliness/optimism, but I just enjoy them for what they are.  This song has such a mellow and relaxed vibe, beginning with that lovely electric piano intro, that I just close my eyes and lay my head back to enjoy.  Well, that is until about 3:05 when it suddenly rocks more, but it’s a nice little interlude with a great slide guitar part.  The strong harmony to end the song sends you back into your day on a quiet, beautiful note.

My one complaint about the song is the cheesy synth-horns and synth-strings, but I guess that’s a function of the times.

P.S.  A “rozzer” is a cop.

Good lord, I'll be happy when I've written up all these albums.  It's by far the most time-consuming portion of this, and I feel like I'm giving the songs short shrift because, by the time I've finished writing about the album, I'm sick of it.  Wednesday introduces three new albums and Thursday two, so working on this right now is so tedious.  I'd give it up, but I know Shaft is hoping for his MFA in post-Beatles Beatles albums, so I trudge onward.

Good lord, I'll be happy when I've written up all these albums.  It's by far the most time-consuming portion of this, and I feel like I'm giving the songs short shrift because, by the time I've finished writing about the album, I'm sick of it.  Wednesday introduces three new albums and Thursday two, so working on this right now is so tedious.  I'd give it up, but I know Shaft is hoping for his MFA in post-Beatles Beatles albums, so I trudge onward.
a gospel is an awesome thing. we applaud your awesomeness, which occasionally surpasses that of your subject (usually Ringo). Bravx!!

Oh noes!  Fixed!
I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
And stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go

I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door
And kept my mind from wandering
Where it will go

And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong
See the people standing there
Who disagree and never win
And wonder why they don't get in my door

I'm painting the room in a colourful way
And when my mind is wandering
There I will go
Ooh ooh ooh ah ah
Hey, hey, hey, hey

And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong
Silly people run around
They worry me and never ask me
Why they don't get past my door

I'm taking the time for a number of things
That weren't important yesterday
And I still go
Ooh ooh ooh ah ah

Stops my mind from wandering
Where it will go oh
Where it will go oh

Where it will go
Where it will go

Where it will go

&

221 (104PM)  About You (Driving Rain, 2001)  Spotify  YouTube
I like the guitars and the edge in Paul's vocal. This is now my second favorite song by this title after this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8on_8vbFA 

220 (16RS)  Waiting (Beaucoups Of Blues, 1970)  Spotify  YouTube
This is very, very Nashville of the time, as befits the story you told about the history of this album. With all of the associated strengths and weaknesses. I agree that Ringo's voice works better for this kind of material than most other kinds. 

219 (103PM)  Johnny Cash and Paul McCartney – New Moon Over Jamaica (Water From The Wells Of Home, 1988)  Spotify  YouTube
This would work better with Irish instrumentation and slurred lyrics. (But not as slurred as Shane McGowan's.) 

218 (102PM)  The Fireman - Two Magpies (Electric Arguments, 2008)  Spotify  YouTube
The melody ever so slightly reminds me of Blackbird. Was that intentional given the title? Not a fan of Paul singing this in his diminished higher register. 

217 (15RS)  The Christmas Dance (I Wanna Be Santa Claus, 1999)  Spotify  YouTube
This is skiffle-riffic, a sound I don't usually associate with Christmas songs. Then the last 45 seconds are something else entirely. I think we need more info on WHY Ringo wants to be Santa Claus. 

216 (101PM)  Nitin Sawhney (feat. Paul McCartney) - My Soul (London Undersound, 2008)  YouTube  (not on Spotify)
More old-man vocals from Paul (though he sounds better when the song gets faster at the end). But I like the rest of the arrangement, and the lyrics have a frankness we don't usually get from Paul. 

215 (100PM)  Wings - Warm And Beautiful (Wings At The Speed Of Sound, 1976)  Spotify  YouTube
Paul's vocal here, however, is excellent. The song is a bit sappy but quite heartfelt; you can see why it took on extra significance when Linda died. Eons better than My Love (which is where my mind raced to when you described this), for whatever that's worth. 

214 (99PM)  My Valentine (Kisses On The Bottom, 2012)  Spotify  YouTube
Good run at this kind of song, a genre which I am generally not into. Would like to have seen what Tony Bennett could do with this. 

213 (98PM)  Wings - London Town (London Town, 1978)  Spotify  YouTube
First of all, they looked stoned out of their minds on the album cover. 

What is "a purple afternoon"?

The "flute ... toot toot toot toot" part is cringey. Even without actual flute. 

Gets better starting with the "out of work again..." verse. And I actually think the horns and synths after that work pretty well. 

The guitar break doesn't bother me at all. It's built up to logically from the "oo-oo-oohs" to the smooth guitar licks to the edgier stuff that follows. 

In all, this is perfectly cromulent. 

:(   I don't know how to respond individually to the multi-quotes.  So here you go:

:lmao:  at the Shane McGowan reference.

Ringo would be an excellent Santa Claus, though I don't wish to sit on his lap.

Tony Bennett would ####### KILL My Valentine, even at...checks Wiki...94 years old.

I was hoping no one would notice or mention the "toot toot toot" part.

:(   I don't know how to respond individually to the multi-quotes.  So here you go:

:lmao:  at the Shane McGowan reference.

Ringo would be an excellent Santa Claus, though I don't wish to sit on his lap.

Tony Bennett would ####### KILL My Valentine, even at...checks Wiki...94 years old.

I was hoping no one would notice or mention the "toot toot toot" part.
Respond however you want, I’ll find it (them).

How can you NOT notice the toot toot toot part? 

---INTERLUDE – Paul McCartney and Wings – Red Rose Speedway (1973)---

Red Rose Speedway was the second studio album from Wings, released in 1973 after being recorded for most of 1972.  The record was preceded in release by the single, “My Love,” and both the album and the single went to #1 on the US charts – coincidentally, the album was knocked out of its #1 spot by George’s Living In the Material World, and the single by George’s “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth).”  What had originally been intended as a double album had been reduced to a single record due to the record company’s perceived lack of quality of the songs and fear of being burned after the poor reception to John’s Some Time In New York City.  Even so reduced, though, the album received a lukewarm-at-best response from critics, who targeted aimless, lazy songwriting and a mediocre effort by the band.  Even Paul, not the uber-critic of his own work that John was, later stated that he “couldn’t stand” the record.  Interestingly, initial producer Glyn Johns, he of the failed Let It Be sessions that gave way to Phil Spector’s version instead, had quit the project midway through, but Johns’s son Ethan later became one of the 3,826 producers of Paul’s solo album, NEW

Two of the songs from this album were leftovers from Paul’s solo Ram sessions, and many of the songs from these sessions – most notably “Hi, Hi, Hi” and “Live And Let Die” – became singles or were released on later albums.  While I’ll only have a few songs from this record on my list, when combined with the rest of the tracks that were later released I feel like this was an underrated era of Paul’s song-writing, and at least one song from this time will be extremely high in the countdown.  :shock:  This album is Wings finding their groove, as Henry McCullough had just joined the band, and this was a bigger sound than they’d had on the first album.  The band was trying to figure out if it was a rock band or a softer easy-listening outfit.  As it turned out, they could do both, but after adding McCollough they toughened up and eschewed soft-rock, with more success, until returning to some of it again in London Town.  

This album was credited as “Paul McCartney and Wings” as opposed to the prior album that had been listed as “Wings,” presumably to get his name front-and-center after the disappointing performance of the earlier record.  The cover photo of Paul with a rose in his mouth was a photo by Linda, and the album included a 12-page booklet full of interviews, photos from the recording sessions and the band’s trip to Morocco, and other odds and ends all put together when such an expensive production was thought to support a double album.  The oddest part of the packaging was a Braille message to Stevie Wonder on the back cover, saying “We love you, baby.”

Track listing:

1. Big Barn Bed
  2. My Love
  3. Get On The Right Thing
  4. One More Kiss
  5. Little Lamb Dragonfly
  6. Single Pigeon
  7. When The Night
  8. Loup (1st Indian On The Moon)
  9. Hold Me Tight/Lazy Dynamite/Hands Of Love/Power Cut

212. Paul McCartney and Wings – Big Barn Bed (Red Rose Speedway, 1973)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #97)

In which I admit that at least half the time I accidentally call this “Big Barn Red.”  Other than the alliteration, I like that better.  But then again, the alliteration seems to be the main purpose of this song.  That and leaping armadillos.  No, really:

Who you gonna weep on?
Who you gonna sleep on?
Who you gonna creep on next?
Weeping on a willow
Sleeping on a pillow
Leaping armadillo, yes

&

Do these lyrics make sense?  No!  Do I care?  Well, kinda!  I love the guitar jam and Paul’s driving bass just a step behind the beat, and it also has fantastic Wings-ian harmonies from Linda and Denny Laine that would become part of their established sound.  The song drives chaotically toward a finale that then unexpectedly mellows in a satisfying way.  On the other hand, it seems just like a throw-off fragment of a song, with silly mismatched lyrics, rather than anything fully realized.  Still, it’s a solid opener to the album, and I dare you to try to get it out of your head after listening.

The song was a leftover from the Ram sessions and initially the end of the “Ram Reprise” from that album. 

Paul songs with willow trees (running count) – 2

210.  Wings – Little Woman Love (single, 1972)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #95)

I had this written up as Paul #111 before recent re-listening, so congrats to this song for some serious upward trajectory! 

“Little Woman Love” was released in 1972 as the b-side to the single, “Mary Had A Little Lamb,” a truly dreadful Wings song that had no business being a single.  It sounds like Up With People for five-year-olds.  Somehow the single still reached #28 in the US, because we are a stupid people.

On the other hand, “Little Woman Love” is a fun bluesy number with dumb lyrics that’s centered around a great Fats-Domino-style piano riff and with a very cool upright slap bass part by Milt Hinton, known as “the Dean of American jazz bass players” for his work primarily with Cab Calloway.  The song was first recorded in 1970 during Paul’s solo Ram sessions, but set aside until picked up again by Wings, thrown sure were intended to be off-key, but it gives the song an off-kilter feel that I enjoy.  Terrific guitar work by Paul here as well, but for me the song is all about that bass.

Pip's Invitation said:
krista4 said:
Sneaking this in since no one is paying attention.  Let us never speak of this again.

211.  George Michael and Paul McCartney – Heal The Pain (single, 2005)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #96)

:bag:  
But is it better or worse than My Love? Because My Love is pretty #######g awful.
This was worse.

Don't worry about me!  I do great when I have a guilt complex that I am causing other people tremendous misery!  (Seriously, though, keep on it; I'm only about 3 credit hours shy at this point.)

krista4 said:
Sneaking this in since no one is paying attention.  Let us never speak of this again.

211.  George Michael and Paul McCartney – Heal The Pain (single, 2005)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #96)

:bag:  
I haven't listened to this yet, but I did own George's Listen Without Prejudice CD in college and thought this tune was pretty rad in that iteration.  

I haven't listened to this yet, but I did own George's Listen Without Prejudice CD in college and thought this tune was pretty rad in that iteration.  
Paul keeps up well with George on this version, which isn't easy especially given the difference in age.  They both sound fantastic.

---INTERLUDE – McCartney II (1980)---

WE DID IT!  We made it to what might be the wackiest record in Paul’s catalog, and which also happens to be one of my favorites. 

With Wings sputtering, Paul returned to his roots…or at least his roots of ten years earlier, when he had recorded his first solo album, McCartney, alone in his home studio.  For a total of six weeks first at his estate in Sussex and then his farm in Scotland, Paul recorded only himself on all of the vocals and instruments.    He rented a 16-track recorded and plugged the mics directly into the back, as he had with McCartney (though this came out sounding nothing like its predecessor!).  Each day, Paul first recorded a drum track – changing location to get the effect he wanted, such as playing in the tile kitchen for an echo - and then throughout the day added overdubs of other instruments and vocals, fiddling with the machine to provide whatever sound he wanted, and determining at the end of the day whether to keep or pitch it.  Other than “Waterfalls,” each song he recorded during these sessions was made up as he went along day-to-day.  Paul described it:  “I’d go along on my bike and a song might spring out of what I had seen on TV the night before. It was like being a sculptor, chopping and changing as I went along… It was definitely an experiment. It was me at home, multi-tracking, like McCartney had been.” 

Paul initially did not intend to release this material publicly.  He was simply experimenting, having fun, seeing what he could do.  Paul described this as his desire to “blow the cobwebs away” after getting fed up with “churning out albums” with Wings.   He recorded 20 songs during these sessions but didn’t immediately do anything with them, instead turning back to preparations for the upcoming Wings tour in Japan and China.  That tour was not to be, however, for upon arrival in Japan in January 1980, Paul was arrested when authorities discovered over 200 grams of the evil weed in his luggage.  After his release following nine days in a Tokyo jail, Paul canceled the tour, returned to his farm in Scotland, and revisited these recordings.  After playing them for a couple of people who said, “There’s your next album,” Paul decided to give them a broader audience.

Upon its release, the album initially did reasonably well with the public, reaching #3 on the US charts powered by the #1 hit single, “Coming Up,” but it was fairly consistently derided by critics at the time.  In large part, the criticism seemed to emanate from the reviewers being surprised and befuddled by the experimental nature of what they were hearing.  This was not a Wings sound, instead incorporating heavy use of synths and sequencers, along with vari-speed recording to alter pitch.  Its styles were also new for a Paul album, representing Paul’s interest in new wave, synth-pop, and electronica.  While he has said he didn’t have direct influences for the record, Paul admittedly had been a fan of Talking Heads at the time and admired David Byrne’s attitude and eccentricity, and he had attended concerts by experimental composers such as John Cage. 

Looking back now, we can see that this album actually fit well within the progression of Paul’s experimentation and inventiveness, beginning with the tape loops in “Tomorrow Never Knows” and continuing through to his later works in The Fireman and Liverpool Sound Collage.  And in retrospect, this record is now often considered a “techno-pop classic” as a “milestone in early British electronica” that is “remarkable in its prescience of the lo-fi and bedroom-pop movements.”  It’s a cult favorite that has been highly influential to numerous future bands, including Throbbing Gristle and Super Furry Animals, and the keyboard motif at the beginning of the unfortunately title “Frozen ***” has been said to directly link to Kraftwerk’s “Computer Love” the next year. 

The latter point has not only been noted by professional rock critics, but by pre-eminent household rock critic OH when he heard “Frozen ***” (which I’m quoting here because the song did not make my countdown):

“Kraftwerk emerged from the same kraut rock psych scene, that super experimental stuff that produced Can and Amon Düül, so they’re rooted in a movement.  Their thing was to make music that’s meaningful and human, that does all the things that music does, while removing all the human elements of it, making it as cold and crystalline as possible.  Paul McCartney sounds really warm by comparison.  That snare was somebody hitting a drum.  I don’t think they come from the same place.  But you can’t deny how similar the melody is, and they clearly had the same equipment, the same synths.  Yeah, it’s amazing that it didn’t sound like somebody ####### around with synthesizers.  He clearly had a music idea – a thesis and an antithesis – and it resolved however it resolved.  I like that around that time, when synths and drum machines and sequencers were becoming more prevalent, when people did so much to try to make that stuff sound like a piano or a horn section or a drummer, the bands like Paul McCartney here was not making it sound like humans.  He’s emphasizing the coldness of it, is the point of it.  Frozen in the title for a reason, because it’s emphasizing the starkness of it, to advance the song rather than making it sound like something else.”

We’ll be visiting many songs from this album on my countdown, but it’s also worth listening to as a whole, as I think it works well in sequence.

I was unable to find information about the cover of this album, but my educated guess is that it’s a photo of Paul McCartney.

Track listing:

1. Coming Up
  2. Temporary Secretary
  3. On The Way
  4. Waterfalls
  5. Nobody Knows
  6. Front Parlour
  7. Summer’s Day Song
  8. Frozen ***
  9. Bogey Music
  10. Darkroom
  11. One Of These Days

Krista, you alluded to this in some of your selections over the weekend, but it's something I've been meaning to mention.  The great majority of my prior exposure to the Beatles' solo output was through the Beatles Channel, and I found it confusing and maddening how, in the 70's, one song would come on attributed to Paul McCartney, the next to Paul and Linda McCartney, the next one to Paul McCartney and Wings, the next to Wings, the next to Wings feat. Martha the sheepdog, etc.  I know the credit is a minor consequence next to the song itself, but the lack of consistency to a purist would be frustrating, I would think.  

Krista, you alluded to this in some of your selections over the weekend, but it's something I've been meaning to mention.  The great majority of my prior exposure to the Beatles' solo output was through the Beatles Channel, and I found it confusing and maddening how, in the 70's, one song would come on attributed to Paul McCartney, the next to Paul and Linda McCartney, the next one to Paul McCartney and Wings, the next to Wings, the next to Wings feat. Martha the sheepdog, etc.  I know the credit is a minor consequence next to the song itself, but the lack of consistency to a purist would be frustrating, I would think.  
Hmmmmm

Yep, it's hard to follow and keep straight.  Somewhat the same with John and Yoko, as he sometimes was just John, sometimes John and Yoko, sometimes John and Plastic Ono Band, etc.  I've tried to be very careful to attribute the way the songs/albums originally were attributed.

209.  Nobody Knows (McCartney II, 1980)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #94)

If the songs on McCartney II are one-man bands, to me this one sounds the one-man-bandiest.  Listen to this song and tell me you’d ever imagine it was just one guy doing a bunch of overdubs, rather than a full band just jamming.  Those slightly out of sync vocals and drums…it all sounds like a band jamming would - lively, high energy, and a little sloppy.  Somehow he put this together – including six different drum overdubs! - like the band members are responding to each other, as they would playing live, rather than sounding like layering of musical parts.  The lyrics are wacky and the double-tracked (or more) vocal is presented in a way that sounds insane.  It’s fairly standard and simple in its composition, but in presentation becomes a fun and rocking blues jam.

I think this is fantastic.  I would listen to this 100 times in a row before I'd listen to "My Love".  
I do love it, which is why I had it on there, but it's kind of an embarrassing thing to love.  Quite the earworm, too.

---INTERLUDE – Linda McCartney (September 24, 1941 – April 17, 1998) and Run Devil Run (1999)---

It’s our third and final “mostly covers” album from Paul, and my favorite of the bunch.  Let’s back up first, though.

Linda McCartney was born in 1941 as Linda Louise Eastman into an affluent family in Scarsdale, New York.  She studied fine art and history at the University of Arizona and married in 1962, the same year her mom died tragically in a plane crash.  She and her first husband had a daughter, Heather, before divorcing in 1965.  

Linda had become interested in photography while in college, and took a job as a receptionist at Town and Country magazine.  One day an invite arrived for a launch party for a Rolling Stones album, and since no one else wanted to go, Linda grabbed her camera and attended the party.  The photos she took there ended up launching her photography career.  Shortly thereafter, in May 1967, she met Paul at a club in London while she was in town on a photo shoot, and after dating off and on they married in 1969.   Linda and Paul had three more children together – Mary, Stella and James.  In the early 1970s, Linda and Paul both embraced vegetarianism, and Linda was involved with a number of related organizations, including PETA and Friends of the Earth, as well as launching a line of vegetarian cookbooks and frozen meals.

In 1995, Linda was diagnosed with breast cancer, and despite having surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy, the cancer spread to her liver and took her life on April 17, 1998.  She died at the family ranch in Tucson, Arizona, with Paul by her side; his final words to her were, “You’re up on your beautiful Appaloosa stallion. It’s a fine spring day. We’re riding through the woods. The bluebells are all out, and the sky is clear blue”.  Linda was cremated and her ashes scattered at their farm in Sussex.   George and Ringo attended the memorial service in London that I mentioned previously.  Paul has reported that he “cried for about a year, on and off.  You expect to see them walk in, this person you love, because you are so used to them.  I cried a lot. It was almost embarrassing except it seemed the only thing to do.”

After his year of seclusion, Paul emerged and began work on the album that became Run Devil Run, which was inspired by Linda.  He and Linda had been talking about this project, because she loved the old-style rock and roll (“a major league rocker,” according to Paul) and wanted him to visit some songs that they both loved that hadn’t been performed by the Beatles, as opposed to many of those on the prior covers album, Choba B CCCP.  Paul chose some lesser-known tracks and assembled an impressive band that included David Gilmour, Mick Green, Ian Paice, and Dave Mattacks.  The songs are mostly live jams, with Paul having simply gone through the song once with the band and then let them at it, and the album was completed in less than a week.  He loved getting back to this way of working, as the Beatles had done.

In addition to the covers, Paul wrote and recorded three new songs for the record, all of them in the old-school style that would fit within the rest of the album (and two of which I’ll have on my countdown).  Paul heavily promoted this album, even playing a show at the Beatles-favorite Cavern Club, which caused a huge media stir.    In the end, this album did very well, reaching Gold status and #27 on the US charts and receiving extremely favorable reviews from critics.  It also provided the catharsis Paul needed, taking him out of his mourning period with this tribute to Linda.

This is an outstanding album, and I’ll happily listen to each song on it.  Paul’s emotion in making the record is clear, as he brings powerful, committed vocals to each song.  The top-notch band he assembled supports him well, too.

The title of this album came from a line of bath salts Paul purchased at Miller’s Rexall Drugs, a hoodoo and herbal medicine shop in Atlanta.  The cover art is a photo of the shop, but with the name “Earl’s” in place of “Miller’s.”

Track listing:

1. Blue Jean Bop
  2. She Said Yeah
  3. All Shook Up
  4. Run Devil Run
  5. No Other Baby
  6. Lonesome Town
  7. Try Not To Cry
  8. Movie Magg
  9. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
  10. What It Is
  11. Coquette
  12. I Got Stung
  13. Honey Hush
  14. Shake A Hand
  15. Party

208.  Shake A Hand (Run Devil Run, 1999)  Spotify  YouTube  

(Paul #93)

“Shake A Hand” is a 1953 song written by Joe Morris and has been recorded by, among others, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, and Ike & Tina Turner.  Paul is killing the scorching vocal on this one, yowling out to achieve his catharsis, and Mick Green and David Gilmour trade terrific guitar solos.  Paul chose this song because he played it on the jukebox at a particular joint in the Beatles’s Hamburg days.  He said that every time he went there, he put it on, and playing it took him back to those times. 

207.  Movie Magg (Run Devil Run, 1999)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #92)

“Movie Magg” is a Carl Perkins song, recorded at Sun Studios.  It’s a true recollection of how he would take his girlfriend Maggie to the movies, riding his mule named Becky.  Paul likewise kills the vocal on this one, and I’ve selected it over “Shake A Hand” due to the sweet story behind it and told within it.  This is the second of four songs involving Perkins on the countdown!  :shock:  

208.  Shake A Hand (Run Devil Run, 1999)  Spotify  YouTube  

(Paul #93)

“Shake A Hand” is a 1953 song written by Joe Morris and has been recorded by, among others, Little Richard, Elvis Presley, and Ike & Tina Turner.  Paul is killing the scorching vocal on this one, yowling out to achieve his catharsis, and Mick Green and David Gilmour trade terrific guitar solos.  Paul chose this song because he played it on the jukebox at a particular joint in the Beatles’s Hamburg days.  He said that every time he went there, he put it on, and playing it took him back to those times. 

207.  Movie Magg (Run Devil Run, 1999)  Spotify  YouTube

(Paul #92)

“Movie Magg” is a Carl Perkins song, recorded at Sun Studios.  It’s a true recollection of how he would take his girlfriend Maggie to the movies, riding his mule named Becky.  Paul likewise kills the vocal on this one, and I’ve selected it over “Shake A Hand” due to the sweet story behind it and told within it.  This is the second of four songs involving Perkins on the countdown!  :shock:  
I will be wanting to check out this album after hearing these two songs. He sounds very natural and relaxed on these. Sounds very good.

Did anybody notice in that commercial during the Steelers vs Giants game just now it said something like, "Someone once said that life is what happens when you're busy making plans"?  It was like a condensed version of a John Lennon quote that goes "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".  It was weird to me that Lennon is referred to as "someone". 

Did anybody notice in that commercial during the Steelers vs Giants game just now it said something like, "Someone once said that life is what happens when you're busy making plans"?  It was like a condensed version of a John Lennon quote that goes "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".  It was weird to me that Lennon is referred to as "someone". 
OMG!  OH is over right now (T5 was here for another sleepover), and he pointed out exactly the same thing.  I hadn't been paying attention to the ads, so I rewound and we then went off on a whole "Someone once said, 'I regret that I have but only one life to give for my country' and someone once said, 'Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" thing.  I can't believe you pointed out the same thing.  :lmao:   It was so ridiculous.

I will be wanting to check out this album after hearing these two songs. He sounds very natural and relaxed on these. Sounds very good.
It's just a fantastic album all around.  He was singing the music he loves!  I'm going to have one more cover from it and the two originals also in the countdown.  

OMG!  OH is over right now (T5 was here for another sleepover), and he pointed out exactly the same thing.  I hadn't been paying attention to the ads, so I rewound and we then went off on a whole "Someone once said, 'I regret that I have but only one life to give for my country' and someone once said, 'Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" thing.  I can't believe you pointed out the same thing.  :lmao:   It was so ridiculous.
:hifive:

---INTERLUDE – McCartney II (1980)---

He recorded 20 songs during these sessions but didn’t immediately do anything with them, instead turning back to preparations for the upcoming Wings tour in Japan and China.  That tour was not to be, however, for upon arrival in Japan in January 1980, Paul was arrested when authorities discovered over 200 grams of the evil weed in his luggage.  After his release following nine days in a Tokyo jail, Paul canceled the tour,
There's a hilarious SNL sketch from January 1980 where Father Guido Sarducci goes to Japan to try to "rescue" Paul (a reference to the Iran hostage crisis that was going on at the time), except he gets busted and thrown in jail just as Paul is freed. The "report" consists of him sitting in the jail cell explaining what happened. Unfortunately it appears not to be on Youtube, but if you have Hulu, it's at the beginning of this episode: https://www.hulu.com/watch/7d41fb47-517d-4326-bd1f-3ebc87515301

A few months later Paul and Linda appeared on the show and Father Guido Sarducci interviewed them. 

returned to his farm in Scotland, and revisited these recordings.  After playing them for a couple of people who said, “There’s your next album,” Paul decided to give them a broader audience.
His friends thought Temporary Secretary deserved a broader audience? Paul must have left his best weed behind when he left for Japan. 

On the first play through of McCartney2  I didn't really like it much other than a couple tracks(Coming Up,On The Way). 

On the 2nd listen came to at least appreciate the work he put into the mixing even if I didn't care for the results. Temporary Secretary is one of the worst songs Ive heard of his so far .

On the other hand, On My Way is a new fav of mine and easily the best song on this album.

Run Devil Run- really liked this one as predicted! Only songs I knew were All Shook Up and Lonesome Town. I think I like Shake a Hand best from here.

Thanks again for getting me to explore the solo catalogs!!

simey said:
Woody  Allen (or some one) once said "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans".

That's all for today.  Reminder that tomorrow is In Memoriam, George Harrison
One of the best nights I ever had (under sad circumstances) was going to Strawberry Fields in Central Park the night after George died. I started out in this bar, waiting for one of my friends to show up. I was hanging out at the bar with some dude tripping his balls off that got thrown out of some jam band show at the Beacon Theater. The guy eventually got thrown out of this bar as well for standing on the bar singing at the top of his lungs - they let it go the first time and tossed him the second time. When my friend shows up we were by the door having a beer and the same guy comes in, looks around, sees me and asks "Was I thrown out of here earlier?" I said "you sure were ...in spectacular fashion". He just turns and walks back out.

We met two other friends on the way to the Park. There were 100s of people there drinking, smoking weed and singing George songs while about 15 people with acoustic guitars played along. It was such an warm and wonderful feeling of a commonality - love of the Beatles - bringing people together to celebrate a life, not a death. 

Users who are viewing this thread